CMMaridah

Community Management Bunny

• Retired
  • 715 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Costume Design Event

2/2/2015~ 3/16/2015

Get out your art supplies!  One lucky and talented artist will have their costume and accessory design brought to life in game! We know the RO2 community is full of creative artists and designers so I’m excited to see what you come up with!
Create a costume design for male and female characters in RO2 to wear based on the guidelines of this event. One design will be chosen by staff and created by development for release in game this summer!

To Enter:

Design a unique costume and accessory for male and female characters. Illustrate a back and front view of the design for both genders. Entry must be fully colored.

The design should include a full body costume for both genders as well as a head accessory.

Details you wish to highlight like emblems or embroidery need to have clear illustrations included.

Example (ignoring the middle character):

febcostumepreview.jpg

Larger resolution drawings are highly suggested so your design details can be translated into a faithful representation of your design.

Entries can be drawn with traditional mediums, or be created digitally through software like Photoshop, Painter, or 3D rendered. Any medium is acceptable, but the drawing and design must be 100% your own creation.  

Prizes

Your design will be created and released in game. You’ll receive 2 of the costume (M/F) with the highest slot option created by development.* You’ll also receive a super large bag and 10 premium dyes.

*Please note that costumes can not be given out until finished by development, which will take several months to be completed.

The winner and their design will be listed in the Hall of Honor on PlayRagnarok2.com

All other drawn entries will receive an Event Random Box.

-----

Art Rules

OK: Drawings you have created with traditional media or digital software are acceptable. 3D renders you have created are also okay if the work is entirely your own creation. Any media that can be presented in a format that fits the required specifications of the event is acceptable as long as it is your own work.

NOT OK: Any artwork taken from another artist or from media you do not have rights to is not allowed. If you did not draw or render it, don’t include it. This extends to backgrounds, wallpapers, 3D renders, and screenshots from other media. Do not include content you have found on google, deviant art, or other sources you do not have rights to, even if you credit the source. The entry must be 100% your own work.

Entries that include content that violates this rule will be removed and the entrant disqualified. Entries that include stolen fan art will result in a forum suspension.

-One entry per person.

-No profane language or inappropriate content.

-Entries must be new, not entered in a prior contest, and created by you.

-WP Staff and Mods reserve the right to hide any submissions that do not follow event or forum rules.

-WP Staff's decisions are final and binding.

-Event details and prizes are subject to change at any time.

#2 Maxscha

Maxscha

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHide and Seek
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

I can't create digital or drawn art at all, but I have worked in costuming and have many things made by myself. Is photo entry of real life creations allowed?

#3 Arbalist

Arbalist

Too Legit To Quit

• RO2 Community Representative
  • 1307 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

This will easily be the best event by far :3 The one every designer is waiting for. Not to mention the prizes are actually appropriate for the effort required :)

#4 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

• Retired
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

I can't create digital or drawn art at all, but I have worked in costuming and have many things made by myself. Is photo entry of real life creations allowed?

Yes, if you have a different way of presenting your design, go ahead and enter it. As long as you have made what you are presenting and the design belongs to you, you can use whatever medium you feel comfortable in. That can include photos of costumes you have created for this event. 

#5 Arbalist

Arbalist

Too Legit To Quit

• 1307 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Prize suggestion: Include the IGN of the winner as part of the costume name (if they choose to). This idea follows RO1's forging system, where if a Blacksmith made a weapon, their name would be stamped onto it to show who made it like "Maridah's Bunny Ears" or "Njoror's Squid Suit". Ask Oda to show it to you on RO1 if it isn't quite clear.

Reasoning: It's a good way to advertise one's design skills and can act as a portfolio piece for any aspiring designers. It's also great for the ego. Nobody really checks the main website and especially the Hall of Honor. The achievement would be completely forgotten in the months it takes to develop the costume. Also, RO1 nostalgia points.

#6 RyuMax02

RyuMax02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationMALAYSIA
  • Server:FREYJA

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

TOO MUCH IDEAS NOT ENOUGH SKILLS.... :sigh:

#7 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

• Retired
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

It's the design that counts, not the skills. If you have an idea you want to submit but can't draw well, you are welcome to try other mediums to create the design. You could do some sort of collage, sew an outfit, maybe even collaborate with another player who is low on ideas but skilled at drawing and agree to split the rewards if your concept wins. As long as it's your work you are presenting, you can enter it. It definitely doesn't need to be the best art in the world. We are looking for a design that would make a cool in game costume, not the Mona Lisa  :p_smile: 

#8 YamamotoKatsuya

YamamotoKatsuya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

at laaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssstttttttt~  :p_love:  

oh yes..my fur~~~~~~ 

Anime-Cat-GIF.gif

#9 faku1810

faku1810

Too Legit To Quit

• 1084 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

It definitely doesn't need to be the best art in the world. We are looking for a design that would make a cool in game costume, not the Mona Lisa  :p_smile: 

Palm Tree, Block Toy, Horse costume, Canary, Mushroom @.@ I'm pretty sure weird costumes have a chance to win too lol.

#10 RyuMax02

RyuMax02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • LocationMALAYSIA
  • Server:FREYJA

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

It's the design that counts, not the skills. If you have an idea you want to submit but can't draw well, you are welcome to try other mediums to create the design. You could do some sort of collage, sew an outfit, maybe even collaborate with another player who is low on ideas but skilled at drawing and agree to split the rewards if your concept wins. As long as it's your work you are presenting, you can enter it. It definitely doesn't need to be the best art in the world. We are looking for a design that would make a cool in game costume, not the Mona Lisa  :p_smile: 

better go buy crayon set now..

#11 SuperJenJen

SuperJenJen

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Too many ideas...cannot decide...

#12 Oyufam

Oyufam

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationStrawberry Land
  • Server:Pandora

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:28 AM

:p_cry:  im not an artist or a magna carta   but i hope to pass this idea to the one who will submit there costume 

oh please do please create a costume like this skirts are soo overated now we wear jeans already =,=   

jakydx.jpg

<3 Kei  :p_love:

Edited by Oyufam, 04 February 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#13 jcTOFU

jcTOFU

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

*hands itching*

#14 ShinShan

ShinShan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMagnolia

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

Don't get me wrong, i soo love this event even though i can't draw well. I just wanna clarify some stuffs.

Design a unique costume and accessory for male and female characters. Illustrate a back and front view of the design for both genders. Entry must be fully colored.

Entries can be drawn with traditional mediums, or be created digitally through software like Photoshop, Painter, or 3D rendered. Any medium is acceptable, but the drawing and design must be 100% your own creation.  

Can it be derived from a real life or fictional costumes? Of course, we'll somehow personalize it and add/remove/edit some details on it.

'Cause I have some ideas that might be called unoriginal, but truly are original.

Let's say for example Kimono, Kimono is a real life dress, but somehow used as a costume in-game. I hope you get my point.  :wah:

http://blog.warpport...dah_blog/?p=272
There are some really cool sets coming up so even if Tai Chi isn’t your personal style, there will be something for everyone released this year.

what if the other entries somehow looked the same, or have the same concept as those soon-to-be-released costumes which aren't shown to the public yet,

then those entries are automatically erm.. forfeited?

even if it's intentional or unintentional, that's just so not a good thing to happen.. :p_sick:  

Anyhow, thanks for this great event, and good luck to all participants!  :p_love: 

#15 CMMaridah

CMMaridah

• Retired
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

Don't get me wrong, i soo love this event even though i can't draw well. I just wanna clarify some stuffs.

Can it be derived from a real life or fictional costumes? Of course, we'll somehow personalize it and add/remove/edit some details on it.

'Cause I have some ideas that might be called unoriginal, but truly are original.

Let's say for example Kimono, Kimono is a real life dress, but somehow used as a costume in-game. I hope you get my point.  :wah:

what if the other entries somehow looked the same, or have the same concept as those soon-to-be-released costumes which aren't shown to the public yet,

then those entries are automatically erm.. forfeited?

even if it's intentional or unintentional, that's just so not a good thing to happen.. :p_sick:  

Anyhow, thanks for this great event, and good luck to all participants!  :p_love: 

If, for example, it's a carbon copy of an outfit from your favorite anime or comic book, it would not qualify as that violates the creator's copyright. A kimono is not a copyright design. It is a cultural dress so restrictions on derivative works don't apply to it. You can create designs based on a qipao, sari, or hanbok without issue but you can't submit a drawing of batman's costume and slap a slightly changed bat logo on the chest.

By original, we mean you can not submit someone else's work. If you want to design a person in a t-shirt and jeans you can. You can't submit a redrawn Naruto character's costume. The post above with Gantz? That is an example of something that sadly will not qualify. You can be inspired by these, but you need to change it enough that it is recognizably different and your own design.

No entries are forfeited unless they violate the rules (contain stolen art/content,etc.) If your design is accidentally similar to one that is already made by development it's not going to be excluded from the contest. If it's a neat design, that's all that matters. 

#16 ShinShan

ShinShan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMagnolia

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

If, for example, it's a carbon copy of an outfit from your favorite anime or comic book, it would not qualify as that violates the creator's copyright. A kimono is not a copyright design. It is a cultural dress so restrictions on derivative works don't apply to it. You can create designs based on a qipao, sari, or hanbok without issue but you can't submit a drawing of batman's costume and slap a slightly changed bat logo on the chest.

By original, we mean you can not submit someone else's work. If you want to design a person in a t-shirt and jeans you can. You can't submit a redrawn Naruto character's costume. The post above with Gantz? That is an example of something that sadly will not qualify. You can be inspired by these, but you need to change it enough that it is recognizably different and your own design.

No entries are forfeited unless they violate the rules (contain stolen art/content,etc.) If your design is accidentally similar to one that is already made by development it's not going to be excluded from the contest. If it's a neat design, that's all that matters. 

Great! Thanks for clearing those up.

So my ideas are allowed; I need to do now is use the Guardian Rune and re-roll my profession to be able to draw.  :heh:

#17 Oyufam

Oyufam

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationStrawberry Land
  • Server:Pandora

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

you must turn a rose into diamond or a paper sheet into money 0-0 and tada no copy rights

#18 YamamotoKatsuya

YamamotoKatsuya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

Palm Tree, Block Toy, Horse costume, Canary, Mushroom @.@ I'm pretty sure weird costumes have a chance to win too lol.

so what if teletubbies costume will appear?? XD lol

#19 YamamotoKatsuya

YamamotoKatsuya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

dude... i was thinking about a kimono design, too.... u too????  :p_omg:

Edited by YamamotoKatsuya, 05 February 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#20 faku1810

faku1810

Too Legit To Quit

• 1084 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

:p_cry:  im not an artist or a magna carta   but i hope to pass this idea to the one who will submit there costume 

oh please do please create a costume like this skirts are soo overated now we wear jeans already =,=   

Spoiler
<3 Kei  :p_love:

Three words: Assassin's Himmelmez Set

Too lazy to look for a SS; might edit later :P

dude... i was thinking about a kimono design, too.... u too????   :p_omg:

I think that was only an example to show how some in-game costumes have a counter-part in real life.

#21 ShinShan

ShinShan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMagnolia

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

so what if teletubbies costume will appear?? XD lol

I think we already have that, Pajama... ^O^

To be more precise, Pajama + lady cape hat on noel.. 

I think that was only an example to show how some in-game costumes have a counter-part in real life.

Yes, i just gave an example. 

#22 Virte

Virte

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

Uhm, Hello there. 
I need to ask a question. From my understanding, participants have to design the costume as well as an accessory which is the head gear, am I correct?

Then, does the head gear have to be compatible for both male and female (unisex) or we can design different head accessories for female and male respectively?
Sorry for the sudden bother...just curious and all. 

#23 ShinShan

ShinShan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMagnolia

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

Uhm, Hello there. 
I need to ask a question. From my understanding, participants have to design the costume as well as an accessory which is the head gear, am I correct?

Then, does the head gear have to be compatible for both male and female (unisex) or we can design different head accessories for female and male respectively?
Sorry for the sudden bother...just curious and all. 

That is purely your decision. You can make a unisex costume, or you can make for separate gender.
 But I guess they are expecting costumes with specific gender(M/F) . Either way, you have to create one for each gender.

You can also create a unique version of your costume for noels, for example is Hanbok, it looks different on noels, and on humans.

Don't hold yourself back, just give it your all. Good luck!  :no1:

Your design will be created and released in game. You’ll receive 2 of the costume (M/F) with the highest slot option created by development.

#24 TensaZangetsu01

TensaZangetsu01

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationFallen Fortress
  • Server:Vanir

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

Im currently working on this...XD

Question: So,i need to draw noel version of costume or its optional

#25 Virte

Virte

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

That is purely your decision. You can make a unisex costume, or you can make for separate gender.
 But I guess they are expecting costumes with specific gender(M/F) . Either way, you have to create one for each gender.

You can also create a unique version of your costume for noels, for example is Hanbok, it looks different on noels, and on humans.

Don't hold yourself back, just give it your all. Good luck!  :no1:

Ah, I see. Thank you for your prompt and kind reply. 
I guess I may design two different head gears specific for male and female characters then. 

Oh yeah...almost forgot about the noel. I guess it's best to create for the noel ones as well. 
Woah...this is going to be hard. Not sure about joining this contest yet. Just interested though.

Thank you for your explanation as well as the encouragement. :D 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users