Steam Players post here - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Steam Players post here

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

i like to put up a discussion among other steam users about our 2nd class treatment by wp/steam.

i want to hear form other steam player about what we can/should do about this.

#2 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

just wanted to note that oda has stated on the live stream from last week that WP is actually losing money on the VIP+1500 pt deal when it was offered via Steam.

#3 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

just wanted to note that oda has stated on the live stream from last week that WP is actually losing money on the VIP+1500 pt deal when it was offered via Steam.

Yeah. To add to what Necro said, Steam has to get their cut, so your the one that's getting the stick. Best option is for Steam players to try and find a way to get your accounts off Steam and start using WP's site directly... if at all possible...

#4 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

I've tried and got shot down. it has been done in the past though, although I'm not sure what particular circumstances qualify.

one instance involved steam no longer being available in the user's region, which is why the move was made.

#5 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

i love to see the accounting on how WP could be losing money on these deals. VIP and KP are nothing more labels and monopoly money that cost WP zero $ to produce.

#6 MorseCoder

MorseCoder

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

The words "losing money" were probably an inaccurate choice of words, but it's easier to explain the reason with those words than (my guess) to say that they have certain revenue projections (overall and, more relevant to the discussion, for each package), and the VIP+1500 KP deal on Steam did not meet those projections in 2014 (or Q4 2014) and would have continued falling below those projections in 2015. Put simply, the net revenue (after Steam's cut) of the deal was too far below the assigned monetary value of the package in the books.

EDIT: They can't state on Steam that Steam users don't get as many benefits as accounts created through WarpPortal. That goes against the spirit of the deal with Steam, and I assume it has to be prohibited by the deal. They also don't want to remove the game from Steam because it did/does bring in new accounts.

Edited by MorseCoder, 20 February 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#7 LawrenzTyr18

LawrenzTyr18

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • LocationHorcatereilberg-the Grand City

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

i love to see the accounting on how WP could be losing money on these deals. VIP and KP are nothing more labels and monopoly money that cost WP zero $ to produce.

Note: The following is just my theory so please don't get upset about it i'm just speculating...theorising of what factors coming in order to provide an explanation, which is just an example!

So let's begin.

This is just my opinion and/or a speculation but if you like have a contract with a second/third party, (i.e.Warpportal - Steam) that means you are paying the person that you lease your brand to in order to attract more players across the world to play Ragnarok Online. With that, the one who is promoting the game, in this case Steam, would want a cut from promoting the game because they are advertising.

So lets use the 30day+1500 kp bonus on steam as an example.  Steam promotes that deal. Steam gets a cut from it since they are advertising it and hosting the deals. Warpportal gets profit but steam had a cut in it. Then Warpportal gives them that cut. WP lose money out of it.

So with that layout, you could really tell that WP have loss profit, yes?

So in the end, this WP-Steam profit theory, Warpportal would be like better-off to promote/advertise the game under their own terms since they are running it. No hooks. No hassles. No disputes. Everyone is happy. (WarpPortal & players)

Anyways that's how I think it works...so overall it's just a theory...a random theory! Thanks for watching! D:<

#8 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Note: The following is just my theory so please don't get upset about it i'm just speculating...theorising of what factors coming in order to provide an explanation, which is just an example!

So let's begin.

This is just my opinion and/or a speculation but if you like have a contract with a second/third party, (i.e.Warpportal - Steam) that means you are paying the person that you lease your brand to in order to attract more players across the world to play Ragnarok Online. With that, the one who is promoting the game, in this case Steam, would want a cut from promoting the game because they are advertising.

So lets use the 30day+1500 kp bonus on steam as an example.  Steam promotes that deal. Steam gets a cut from it since they are advertising it and hosting the deals. Warpportal gets profit but steam had a cut in it. Then Warpportal gives them that cut. WP lose money out of it.

So in the end, this WP-Steam profit theory, Warpportal would be like better-off to promote/advertise the game under their own terms since they are running it. No hooks. No hassles. No disputes. Everyone is happy. (WarpPortal & players)

Anyways that's how I think it works...so overall it's just a theory...a random theory! Thanks for watching! D:<

that doesn't really anything. WP needs advertise to attract new players, if not with steam then with someone else. The cut that steam take sis nothing more then advertising money that WP needs to spend and they are getting it form brand new players. So whatever cut that WP has left after steam takes there is still revenue that WP otherwise might not have. THERE IS NO MANUFACTURE COST to label a player as Vip or the 1500kp. There is no material cost or labor cost.

if WP really wants to have more control on promotion/advertising and a bigger piece of the player revenue. Fine, then just allow all Steam Players to switch there characters to non-steam acct. So what is the hold up.

Currently there is a lot of upset players but WP is not providing any answers or solutions.

#9 Saffire

Saffire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

What is the point of signing up via Steam if we get short changed??

Players signing up via Steam are unaware of the fact that they will get short-changed by not having the same deals WP offers to accounts signed up via WP. They only realise it after they want to buy WP/VIP. If they won't switch our accounts to a steam account, then why can't they just enable Steam accounts to be able to purchase WP via their website like normal accounts do? Is it due to their agreement that all steam accounts cannot be able to purchase anything via their website??

#10 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

Steam takes too much of a cut, its not turning a profit.

#11 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

You are right in that losing money is not really the correct term, but the way it was set up is something we might be able to bring back as a special sale on Steam but it wouldn't be something we could have available all the time. 

#12 Ryviux

Ryviux

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1962 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

You are right in that losing money is not really the correct term, but the way it was set up is something we might be able to bring back as a special sale on Steam but it wouldn't be something we could have available all the time. 

Oda, can't you guys just transfer players with Steam acct to non-steam accts?

#13 Ryuuzan

Ryuuzan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

I would be really glad if since we were given the option to create a steam account, please give us the option to change it to a non-steam account as well. Its our account, and its our freedom right?  :thx:  many of us are fairly blurred out regarding the case...

#14 8377150205002134270

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

So let's begin.

In OTHER words, WP sells VIP+1500KP as their own offer package, that is to attract players. (It's really worthy for that package actually) while Steam only sells VIP for about $8/mth, that is without the 1500 K points.

#15 8709131226200158117

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

I would love the option to have my account transferred into a regular wp account as well. I don't think being signed up through steam is our fault so why are we getting the short end of the deal? I don't see why anyone would want to continue playing a game by a company that can't treat their customers fairly.

#16 Javaman144

Javaman144

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

I wish the option for the VIP combo would pop out sometime in the future  :heh:

#17 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts
  • Server:Both

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:32 AM

I would love the option to have my account transferred into a regular wp account as well. I don't think being signed up through steam is our fault so why are we getting the short end of the deal? 

I agree with this. I wouldn't wish Steam on my worst enemy.

Edited by Cinquine, 22 February 2015 - 02:32 AM.

#18 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:26 AM

I honestly don't see why MMOs would bother with Steam since they lose out on money they could be gaining without Steam. Steam is more of a platform for 1-time purchase games, not MMOs.

#19 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

Steam is the steam coming off of my hot, fresh, smelly poop.

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Well then.

#21 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

Well then.

Yes. If I ruled the world as a tyrant, Steam would be made to hang from the gallows, along with Skype, Origin and EA Games. And Acer support center. And Facebook.

#22 Exuro

Exuro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3267 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

Funny how I'm reading this on the toilet

#23 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:18 AM

this thread turned from steam to poop. I'd like how know where this will go.

Edited by Kaishun, 23 February 2015 - 02:18 AM.

#24 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:53 AM

I honestly don't see why MMOs would bother with Steam since they lose out on money they could be gaining without Steam. Steam is more of a platform for 1-time purchase games, not MMOs.

Exposure to a wider audience and safeguarding of the player from computer doo-hickery since Steam pretty much does everything for you as far as downloading and installation goes. Gotta market where you can, and computer illiteracy is a real thing.

#25 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

We will bring up your concerns to the team. Now here is a question for you; what if we could convince them to offer VIP + 2000 points for 20 USD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users