sura or ranger? im new to iRO - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

sura or ranger? im new to iRO

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 micmitchell

micmitchell

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

No zennny no gears. Im new to iRO.. Iwould like to know you opinion in this class...thanks

#2 Erydanos

Erydanos

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

Ranger is the easiest route.

1) They're wanted in most TI parties due to Arrow Storm which translates into quicker leveling.

2) Their gears can be easily farmed or are readily available in the market:

White Wing Set -every piece is around 3-4M, or you could find someone to warp you to Mora village to do the quests that reward the currency to buy the set there, might require you to do other quests first though.

Elven Bow & Elven Arrows are also readily available and provide the best AS damage or you can settle for Hunter Bow and Hunter Arrows, still decent damage and there's an NPC version (non slotted) of the Hunter Bow which you can purchase or receive when you job change into Hunter.

#3 OreoBoolat

OreoBoolat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

I'm agree with Erydanos, ranger should ( not a must ) first char if you wanna play.

you may opt to a swordsman or thief-based class but it is recommended to play as an archer-based class and opt for Ranger path.

They have, I believe:

- the cheapest set that when worn, deliver a decent, good damage to mobs - WWS set and Elven combo as mention by Ery.

- preferable in a party, though you shall deliver your best to be regconized and trusted by people :)

- easy to farm material needed for your other class.

- fast to level when play appropriately.

#4 Astralslayer

Astralslayer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationFar Far away~~

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

Both, sniper and champion jobs are a bit hard to lv up, sniper is a bit easier. As ranger it's easier to lv up than a sura.

#5 6773131031232342973

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1484 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Violet
  • Server:Best ragnarok

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

wanderer be sexy be powa be useless

Edited by 6773131031232342973, 28 February 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#6 3452140212150117003

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Locationwest prontera
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:dedservRO

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

even though you didnt mention it as an option, i give my vote to merchant class, gene path or mech.
yeah, some might argue that it is the most expensive class to maintain, and i agreed. But that fact mainly referring to the 3rd class of merch, and let face it, every 3rd class are quite expensive to maintain, and some are more expensive than the others

why merchant is good?

1)free party member 24/7 that will follow you everywhere you go, your hom (gene), trust me , it will make your life easier if you are new to Ro

2)OverCharge is nice, since you are new, your income will come 99% from the loots.(merch)

3)You will depend on npc's healing items and since you are new, i doubt that you will have access to heal booster gears.(merch)

4)Free greed, which will be your source of income, before you can do instances that give nice drops. (mech)

5)if you are really new, i doubt that you will surely stick with this character from level1 to 175, and probably, you want to try other classes.So you can use this character as a vender, and didnt really waste your effort and time you spend on leveling it.

But yeah, the drawback is that it is kinda expensive to maintain.
But between Sura and ranger, as mention by posts before me, go for ranger. You cant really go wrong with it. 

Btw, side note : there is a video in this forum that show high level people killing boss monster on Eden gears (free gear you get by doing quests). As a prove that high end gear is important, but not to the point that you cant do anything without it

#7 ka10

ka10

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

like the post above mentioned, you can always just make a merchant on an alt account for the overcharge/discount/vending aspect of zeny-making;

doesn't mean you have to actually main a merchant class;

also, rangers barely have any maintenance cost [elven arrow: 5 zeny (3 with merchant discount)];

if you wanted to play shura (or any other class), you could just play a ranger first as a PvM (player vs monster) / item-hunting character, so you could earn zeny to fund equipment for shura (supplemented by a merchant alt character);

rangers are simply easier/faster to progress as a starter character; they just happen to have the advantage in PvM/leveling/hunting, especially in a case where gear funding is limited (as in for starters);

shura can do fantastic in PvM/leveling/hunting too, but requires relatively expensive / good gears;

once you have have the funds, you can then choose whatever character you want to main based on the play-style that appeals to you;

#8 idonothaveanname

idonothaveanname

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

Do you wanna be a tank or a damage dealer?

If your new to the game I'd go the archer route because it's an easier class to play. Rangers are stupid OP in PVM.

#9 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

A lot of my friends started out with Sura and ended up leaving the game. Not having a proper AoE until much later than everyone else is a the biggest issue with the class. I think it's fine as a secondary class when you can afford stuff like Ifirit mask or something.

#10 Rotatoe

Rotatoe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:34 PM

to be honest, both classes can get to 150 through turn ins with minimal gear. all a ranger needs is an elven bow and a white wing set while a sura can pretty much be naked as a mental strength tank. soloing for any class will be expensive and gear-reliant so if you don't have zeny stick to TI parties. in the end it really just boils down to which playstyle you like better.

rangers will have a better time doing instances and general pvm content, while suras are more dominant in pvp and woe.

#11 DarkDan

DarkDan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1280 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Sura is the better character all around. Better for PvP, WoE, and MvP. This is just my opinion but I have been around a long time. This game loves the Sura class. Sura is harder to level for sure. 

Ranger is good for player vs monster other than MvP. Ranger is the easiest class to level. What are you going to use it for when you get it to 175/60? You can farm regular monsters for zeny I guess?

Somebody already posted about Genetic. That is my personal favorite. Sura is my second favorite so I am biased lol. I have a Ranger in the 130 range. Just haven't got motivated to level it. Not sure what I would do with it. 

#12 3452140212150117003

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Locationwest prontera
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:dedservRO

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

also keep in mind that you are asking for which class is better as your first character, not which class should be your main. we can give advice on the first matter, but regarding which one you should main, it is totally up to you. Explore the game, try to learn what make the game interesting for you. Then pick that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users