Honest advice regarding server choice needed for a complete newb. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Honest advice regarding server choice needed for a complete newb.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TheMerv

TheMerv

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

First, I'm gonna start off with a rant. :rice:

So currently at the time of writing, my WP Ragnarok DLM is downloading the game I've been stoked to play again for so long. "Again", because about 4 years ago when i was 14ish I played my share of crappy High-Rate private servers with a few friends which, for the lack of a better word, was ugly.

It was donations ahoy :wall: , with non-existent PVM (getting to 150 took a mere 2 hours). Everyone wanting to be viewed worth their salt would pretty much have to kiss the GM's asses beforehand to obtain god gears instantly. PVP and WoE are obviously the only things that matter in a server like this, but with YGG Berries selling for 150k zeny each, it was simply matters of out-berrying each other. Oh, and you pretty much have to be a Geneticist, GX or a Sura (and POSSIBLY a Sorc), because those are the only classes that can reliably dish out damage worthy of a OHKO-2HKO.

I HATED it. I craved for the feeling of a proper WOE in where i won't die in 2 seconds, because everyone would have to work for awesome gear. Or a proper Endless Tower without a single Gen soloing it. Or being able to make niches like an autocast DPS melee character viable. Or maybe being able to play a f@#king game without shelling out money.

... :p_smile:

4 years later I've reached this place. It was probably nostalgia for me craving to play RO again, but whatever. I figured out iRO would be a great place to play again (correct me if I'm wrong LOL), but I'm currently torn between Classic or Renewal.

On one hand, I LOVED the design of Rune Knights and the overall complexity of 3rd jobs, as well as the feeling that I'm playing a game that's being constantly updated. I also prefer PVP rather than PVM. On the other hand, I despise P2W with a passion and would like to have a taste of what struggling in a party/guild feels like (which from what I've read, Renewal kills completely)

So, I'm confused! Based on what you vets have read, which server do you think is for me? One final thing to note is that I'm not the stereotypical MMO gamer that spends at least 6 hours a day on RO. (I have Dota2 for that, occasionally :P)

#2 Sumicoon

Sumicoon

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRacoon artist alley
  • Playing:RO Valkyrie Uprising
  • Server:Alfheim server

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

I feel that your ideal server deppends on what you would dislike less between P2W vs no new updates.

Both servers can be fun to play, but the main difference in feeling for me, is that in renewal you must buy expensive kafra shop gear in order to meet the standard, more than in classic. Classic on the other hand, has no new content other than a few adaptations, and a very small population (which might not feel small if you played on small pservers. 500~ players on classic vs 3k players in renewal).

That said, I would recommend renewal for you. iRO renewal with its turn ins idea has an easy way for casual players to quickly join a party with stangers, and start playing, and if you plan to play for sometime, you might get geared eventually by playing the market.

#3 TheMerv

TheMerv

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

I feel that your ideal server deppends on what you would dislike less between P2W vs no new updates.

Both servers can be fun to play, but the main difference in feeling for me, is that in renewal you must buy expensive kafra shop gear in order to meet the standard, more than in classic. Classic on the other hand, has no new content other than a few adaptations, and a very small population (which might not feel small if you played on small pservers. 500~ players on classic vs 3k players in renewal).

That said, I would recommend renewal for you. iRO renewal with its turn ins idea has an easy way for casual players to quickly join a party with stangers, and start playing, and if you plan to play for sometime, you might get geared eventually by playing the market.

-Dislike P2W more, definitely ahah.

-How friendly is Renewal in general?

Anyone else that might second the Renewal recommendation? Or possibly the contrary?  :ok:

#4 shidobelgica

shidobelgica

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

renewal: novice friendly / more newer content / more freedom for GM to work around / higher population

classic: less novice friendly unless you have friends or a friendly guild adopt you / lower population

my advice is if you find a friendly guild with people of your timezone, join classic. if not,then join renewal because its easier to start there.

#5 Althes

Althes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Both

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

First, 4 years ago renewal? I would guess it is not only a private, but also a completely broken server. There was a time which many private servers claimed that they have got so called 'renewal' but it wasn't. 

Yggdrasil Berries are selling at around 150k here, but not from npc of course.  :heh:  

I don't yet play WOE so I better don't speak about it. But my sinx do kill many peoples (or being killed) in WOE TE. It was fun.

What I do know is without proper equipment and decent level, you are literally die within 1 sec/ 1 hit.

Also, a geneticist can solo ET to like 50-60 level with not so decent gears. Why not? It is about proper resist gear. I'm not saying to 102 of course.

I think that if you like the overall complexity of 3rd job as well as constantly getting update, renewal is the only choice for you. Getting update is a very important reason I chose renewal. 

About P2W, I personally fell OK with that, because hey, they have paid real money. Besides iRO is a relatively not-that-P2W server if compared to many other servers. They don't sell MVP card like the former CRO did.

side note: dear Sumicoon I can't help thinking that you're a botter and have constantly an urge to disagree with you no matter what you talk about. But yes you do have a point here. Renewal has many kafra gears, whether buy them with real money, or earn them in game. Like I bought a vanargand yesterday with zeny.

#6 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

On one hand, I LOVED the design of Rune Knights and the overall complexity of 3rd jobs, as well as the feeling that I'm playing a game that's being constantly updated. I also prefer PVP rather than PVM. On the other hand, I despise P2W with a passion and would like to have a taste of what struggling in a party/guild feels like (which from what I've read, Renewal kills completely)

Renewal is your answer and there will always be pay to winners in almost all of the mmorpg.

#7 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

Check out my newbie thread once you decide. The best thing you can do is try both servers for yourself, since people are more likely to recommend th be server they play themselves. When I first started I prefered renewal and later switched to classic. if you try both then you can confidently choose the one that is best for you. Sometimes you can surprise yourself.

#8 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

I second the motion! Also, it's generally friendly…there are quite some players who will be willing to help you out, but I must concede that there are some players who become incredibly pompous when they reach "legendary" standards (ya'll know who you are, people!).

I kinda hear the same for Classic, despite what some posts might say…poor "hopeful archer"…I still can't get it out of my head…but don't take my word for it. It has its pros and cons like Renewal.

Both servers have their highs, but there are some things as well that are in very poor taste.

#9 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

I second the motion! Also, it's generally friendly…there are quite some players who will be willing to help you out, but I must concede that there are some players who become incredibly pompous when they reach "legendary" standards (ya'll know who you are, people!).

I kinda hear the same for Classic, despite what some posts might say…poor "hopeful archer"…I still can't get it out of my head…but don't take my word for it. It has its pros and cons like Renewal.

Both servers have their highs, but there are some things as well that are in very poor taste.

I'd like to point out "hopeful archer" and I have been levelling just fine in classic together, and he has since joined a guild and been having fun.

#10 gorgoroth1

gorgoroth1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Server:Chaos04Nov13Thor27Apr15

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:23 AM

Renewal please, bio4 party need you, we need you hehe

#11 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:28 AM

Both are good. But still, downsides.

Edited by Saralen, 02 March 2015 - 06:33 AM.

#12 Saralen

Saralen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location...

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

I'd like to point out "hopeful archer" and I have been levelling just fine in classic together, and he has since joined a guild and been having fun.

Oh thank…Odin? :heh: I worried about him. It's always sad to see players so discouraged and quit, both on Classic or Renewal.

#13 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Oh thank…Odin? :heh: I worried about him. It's always sad to see players so discouraged and quit, both on Classic or Renewal.

Yeah :3 happy ending!

#14 TheMerv

TheMerv

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

Check out my newbie thread once you decide. The best thing you can do is try both servers for yourself, since people are more likely to recommend th be server they play themselves. When I first started I prefered renewal and later switched to classic. if you try both then you can confidently choose the one that is best for you. Sometimes you can surprise yourself.

Will definitely check it out!

Although giving both a shot is a bit of a stretch though..

#15 rockymom

rockymom

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Server:Renewal, Classic

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

I have characters on both, but am really new to Classic. The few people I have run into there seem pretty nice and are willing the chat with you and offer advice and just some general socializing.

I agree with those who suggest you try both and see which fits your personality and gaming style.

#16 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

considering that you're implying that you're a casual player, renewal has more mechanics catered towards casual players.  The community is also larger so there are a larger pool of people to choose from to socialize with if you don't find one group favorable.  Although, it is to my experience that almost all cliques in renewal to be sociable and willing to accept new people.  The only limitation is that not all cliques may speak your language so you'd have to shop around.

Economy wise, renewal is more friendly towards new players surprisingly.  Its actually possible to make enough zeny to purchase decent gears by playing the market and catering towards your target audience.  For example, just the past month alone i've made about a net profit of 780m just brewing acid bombs once a week after buying up supplies when i have time.  I then turned that zeny into some gear for my wanderer and maestro.  Buying kafra points to sell/buy gear is a viable shortcut, but it isn't needed if you know how to make zeny.  Classic just doesn't have as much opportunities to make zeny for casual players.

#17 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

iro is in general not a P2W server, nomatter if you go classic or even renewal. The items that can be bought from the cash shop(aka kafra shop), tend to not cost that much ingame zenny to buy off of another player. Combine that with the fact the economy is the healthiest it has ever been(atleast on the renewal server), buying kafra shop items off players for zenny, is downright easy. Such items cost no more zenny, then other similar item that are in game.

Sounds like everything you are interested in points to the Renewal server(bigger population, 3rd jobs, and getting constant updates, not to mention It's easier to lv).

Edited by Zoltor, 02 March 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#18 Rotatoe

Rotatoe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

iro is in general not a P2W server, nomatter if you go classic or even renewal. The items that can be bought from the cash shop(aka kafra shop), tend to not cost that much ingame zenny to buy off of another player. Combine that with the fact the economy is the healthiest it has ever been(atleast on the renewal server), buying kafra shop items off players for zenny, is downright easy. Such items cost no more zenny, then other similar item that are in game.

Sounds like everything you are interested in points to the Renewal server(bigger population, 3rd jobs, and getting constant updates, not to mention It's easier to lv).

are we playing the same game?

Edited by Rotatoe, 02 March 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#19 Zoltor

Zoltor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1345 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

are we playing the same game?

Yes we are, Kafra shop items never reach higher then 250m(the slotted BDM will likely be the first item to be more valuable then that, they'll probally go upto 400m)

Also no HBP, and FAW don't cost more, you get them as +0s from the lucky boxes, not +9s, which only cost 99-150m tops after they leave the Kafra shop.

It's really easy to make a few hundred million these day, so buying even the best Kafra shop items with in game zenny even after they leave the Kafra shop, is very easy to do.

PS. Athough, if you're one of those lv 175 noobies that can't play the game, because all they do is gramps, I'd wager making zenny might be a whole lot harder(because then the only options you have is playing the market, and buying Kafra shop items with cash to sell them for zenny)..

Edited by Zoltor, 02 March 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#20 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Play both. Make a char on classic 1st and after a week or two once you have it maxed and geared for woe, make a char on renewal. 

#21 Rotatoe

Rotatoe

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

Yes we are, Kafra shop items never reach higher then 250m(the slotted BDM will likely be the first item to be more valuable then that, they'll probally go upto 400m)

Also no HBP, and FAW don't cost more, you get them as +0s from the lucky boxes, not +9s, which only cost 99-150m tops after they leave the Kafra shop.

It's really easy to make a few hundred million these day, so buying even the best Kafra shop items with in game zenny even after they leave the Kafra shop, is very easy to do.

PS. Athough, if you're one of those lv 175 noobies that can't play the game, because all they do is gramps, I'd wager making zenny might be a whole lot harder(because then the only options you have is playing the market, and buying Kafra shop items with cash to sell them for zenny)..

i'm pretty sure the fact that you can sell KP items for zeny = paying for zeny = pay2win. people who pay money will have an advantage over people who don't

#22 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

you can also buy WPE with zeny and not spend a cent on the game and still get the same KP items. RO's one of the few games i've played where you don't HAVE to spend real life money to advance in the game

#23 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

you can also buy WPE with zeny and not spend a cent on the game and still get the same KP items. RO's one of the few games i've played where you don't HAVE to spend real life money to advance in the game

thats so true.  the only money i spend on this game is for VIP because i need that storage slots.  Made enough zeny in the past 2 weeks to pick up an AA card + bdm[1] from doing nothing but buying and selling and i still have a chunk of zeny to spare.

Who has time to farm for raw mats these days? i'd rather just buy it from someone willing to do it and turn that into more profit.  Time is zeny you know.

#24 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

You should try both. It's easier lo level on classic so if you get your char there maxed go and play renewal after. Renewal is vast and has lots of things to offer. Lots of quest, memorial dungeons, ET and job classes.

I just started playing iRO and I find it fun even without spending real money but if you are a person who could spend then why not. It helps the community stay up and running.

Going over and over again on what you do on Ragnarok is not boring whilst it take you to a wonderful place called nostalgia. But if you get the boredom feeling why not go sit and find someone to talk to or change your leveling ground.

You should try them both because you are the only judge for yourself. Playing Ragnarok is and will never be considered a waste of time.

Hoss!

Edited by ChaoticRK, 03 March 2015 - 02:31 AM.

#25 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

You should try both. It's easier lo level on classic so if you get your char there maxed go and play renewal after. Renewal is vast and has lots of things to offer. Lots of quest, memorial dungeons, ET and job classes.

I just started playing iRO and I find it fun even without spending real money but if you are a person who could spend then why not. It helps the community stay up and running.

Going over and over again on what you do on Ragnarok is not boring whilst it take you to a wonderful place called nostalgia. But if you get the boredom feeling why not go sit and find someone to talk to or change your leveling ground.

You should try them both because you are the only judge for yourself. Playing Ragnarok is and will never be considered a waste of time.

Hoss!

I agree with you, but it's only easier than renewal to level IF you have the resources. Going it alone on Classic, it's pretty tough, especially when you have no zeny yet. Which is why I really encourage shooting me a message, so I can show others the ways of the Einherjar :v I should really just write a guide. Maybe I'll do that during my philosophy class today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users