Forum Events - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Forum Events

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Current issues with events:
  • Too many being pinned, which causes the main page of the Community Chat to get reduced down to 2/3. This in turn causes a lot of regular threads to quickly get bumped to the 2nd page.
  • Seems a lot of the rules for these events aren't thought out very well and causes the event host to change the rules midway when entries have already been submitted. People got upset because their entries became disqualified because the rules were not set in stone.
  • Inconsistent judging makes people not want to enter because even if they did follow the rules, their entries wouldn't win on the basis of the judge's personal preference and not the rules themselves.
In the RO2 section, all the events are consolidated into their own subforum, which keeps the Community Chat cleaner and those who wish to participate in events can continually check the section to see all current events. I'm actually fine that RO has adopted the same setup since it allows multiple events to go on at once and gives players more event options if they can't participate in certain events. I feel promoting only one event at a time is unfair because then it creates an issue of who's event is more important to get pinned in the Community Chat over another event (i.e. multiple events for the same holiday). Then you'd have to think about setting up an event queue and all that stuff and that would just cause more unnecessary drama.

Event hosts need to think their events more thoroughly. Now that we have an events subforum containing all past events, there's no excuse to not look through them and see what works and what doesn't in terms of rules. You can't keep changing the rules while accepting entries, it's not fair to the participants who submitted before the rules were changed.

Judging should be done on the basis of the rules, not by personal preference. It's not fair to those who followed the rules, but another entry that didn't got picked anyways because the judge liked it more.

#27 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Biting wit what? Biting wit yo teef?

Spoiler

that said, it would be pretty awesome if there were contests we could participate in only with our MINDS:

Everybody is good at something, though. Whether it's digitally, physically, or mentally.

Edited by Necrohealiac, 03 March 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#28 r1r1

r1r1

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

i personally love events that involve cooking, crafting, sewing or drawing.
for me, the main purpose to participate on these events is for winning hats or pets - specially hats - or something ppl cant pick on "normal" gameplay. I'm not asking for OP equips, just "cosmetic" things. At the moment, I would only participate on events that is offering some kind of participation prize, because I dont have that much time I had before (I couldnt participate on the last event because of my non-existant spare time but I really wanted to participate).

On the past I thought it would be nice if the participation prize / grand prize was something that could remember what kind of event I was participating. Like, for exemple, if I was participating on some "summer" event, the CMs or hosters could give a hat that ressemble something summerish (that watermelon slice hat for participation prize? and the grand prize that armor/accessory(?) that gives you the summer suit?) If it was - hypothetically - a knit event, a participation prize would be a colored beanie that isn't offered via warppoints and the grand prize a Black Knitted Hat, or something like that.
Creative Convention Hat is nice too I guess and I do appreciate the participation prize for the Valentine's Loading Screen Event for example, it was so cute! Don't really know if it's possible to offer that types of hats but anything that isnt offered via "normal" gameplay - either for participation prize (something simpler that the grand prize) and the prize is really what I dreamt for this types of events.

and lastly i actually like the idea of being a event hoster someday, if it's possible haha
sorry for the long reply D:

*edit some parts for better clarification*

Edited by r1r1, 03 March 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#29 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

Spoiler

that said, it would be pretty awesome if there were contests we could participate in only with our MINDS:

Oh sorry, I just noticed that according to your avatar, you don't have any teeth.

There was a "wanted poster" event earlier where the winners were chosen based off just the text, so if you claim wit as your talent, you could have participated in that one.

#30 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

There was a "wanted poster" event earlier where the winners were chosen based off just the text, so if you claim wit as your talent, you could have participated in that one.

I did...

#31 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

I did...

Ah ok. I was a judge for that one so I made it a point not to look at the names of people who submitted, lest it affect my judging.

See, there is something for everyone!

#32 Sumicoon

Sumicoon

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationRacoon artist alley
  • Playing:RO Valkyrie Uprising
  • Server:Alfheim server

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

Everybody is good at something, though. Whether it's digitally, physically, or mentally. What are your talents?

My talents are not liked very much...

Spoiler

Why not add a contest to make a RO flyer and take a picture of it on a place where you leave it? Maybe it could catch someones interest~

I would love wild rose mercenaries as a reward. Or leaf cat pets too.

#33 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Personally, the only real events I've entered were the Conundrum puzzles, the Secret Santa and the one where all you had to do is go to Lutie, buy a puppet and talk to an NPC. (That NPC is still there, BTW. Does that mean it's on-going?) I might be missing a couple, but yeah... that's about it.

I've had temptations in taking part in different events, but either it was being held on a weekend, I didn't have enough notice, I didn't have enough money, I'm not good at what it entails (like crafts, drawing, etc) or I don't have enough time. Some times, I see one and think. "I'm not going to win anyway. Why bother?" Not a good mindset to have to something that's supposed to be fun, but... I still have yet to win anything.

Ever since the events got their own subforum, I haven't even checked it. I recently found a recipe for a Buche De Noel...I know it's not Christmas, but maybe if there's another food contest, I'd make that... Hmmm...

#34 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts
  • Server:Both

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

and lastly i actually like the idea of being a event hoster someday, if it's possible haha
sorry for the long reply D:

Literally all you have to do is:

1. Come up with an idea

2. Okay the idea with Oda, possibly get added to Fungineering for privacy

3. Make a thread, using old events for reference

4. Have enough time to do your hostly duties (updating first post, going over entries to make sure they don't break your rules)

That's pretty much it. For some reason people think you have to be special to be an event host but I just decided to make a thread one day and the rest just sorta followed. Lol

#35 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

We have a good amount of contests coming down the pipeline.

We are going to focus on contests being more accessible and shorter overall.

#36 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I love forum events but sometimes it's laziness that conquers me always. But maybe it's lack of time for others.

Any prizes will do as long as the event is worthwhile and fair. Even forum signatures or avatars could be used as prizes. In-game prizes could be consumables or even very very strong weapons with a name of an idol carved on it. /heh

Types of events that interest people varies. The only thing that we all have in common is the knowledge about the game- the lore, the countries, monsters, item drops, job classes, skills et al. which we could use as a basis for an event. Though I have no idea how to make use of it/ or incorporate it into a unique event.

#37 shirotea

shirotea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Location/where
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

I think one of the reasons why people don't join creative contests is that they're being realistic.

Some would think that they shouldn't spend their extra time and or money just for a virtual prize.

What do you do with their creations afterwards? It always ends up as something to merely look at or thrown in the bin.

I would suggest contests that actually contribute to the game itself or even merchandises irl.

Examples would be contests to create a new monster/npc/mvp/quest or something like that, something everyone can enjoy and appreciate at the same time. (not sure if we need permission from kRO to do it though)

Another would be concepts for merchandises maybe? Say a T-shirt design contest or what not.

I know not everyone is good at creating art or making crafts, but surely everyone has the ability to generate an idea, and it shows off the creative side of a person without the need to create a physical thing.

Just the idea or concept would be fine, it doesn't matter if it's in writing or a sketch on paper or even a prototype made from scratch. Some express their ideas better in words and some better when they show it off through their works (drawing, sewing, crafts, etc.).

The amount of time and effort shouldn't be accounted imo because it varies for individuals. It's not like everyone can write out a good description with the same given time for another to draw out a sketch. What's important is what ideas are brought out rather than how pretty you present it. (of course, the idea should be clear and not something vague)

Who's gonna create the design based on the concept? Well, that could be another follow up contest to decide.

By doing so, those who are not talented in creative arts and those who are can participate and work together to create something for the community.

Prize wise, I don't know. I usually join events that interests me and if I had the time. :P

Edited by shirotea, 04 March 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#38 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

I think one of the reasons why people don't join creative contests is that they're being realistic.

Some would think that they shouldn't spend their extra time and or money just for a virtual prize.

What do you do with their creations afterwards? It always ends up as something to merely look at or thrown in the bin.

When I participate in a contest, it's because I want to. Like most artists, it's a hobby I enjoy. If I win a prize it's just a bonus.

Some of the contests so far have had participation prizes that were pretty decent too.

#39 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

I would suggest contests that actually contribute to the game itself or even merchandises irl.

Examples would be contests to create a new monster/npc/mvp/quest or something like that, something everyone can enjoy and appreciate at the same time. (not sure if we need permission from kRO to do it though)

Another would be concepts for merchandises maybe? Say a T-shirt design contest or what not.

I did do a spriting contest but sadly custom NPCs and monsters aren't possible at this time. Quests are entirely possible, though there are dedicated fungineering writers on the forums for quests (hi krit and ralis!) already. It would be neat if they could arrange something like that since it is their area of expertise. I'm not sure what else could contribute to the game that would actually be of use; as in, not coc kblocked by kRO. Maybe Oda could do some wild west related things. Or perhaps Ragnarok skins? I really like the merchandise idea, that's not something I had considered. I wonder how it would work being non-art related though. Most merchandise things require a sketched design of some sort.

#40 tatihana00

tatihana00

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 734 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando Valley ( LIKE OMGOD!)

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

this is a beautifully written out question and it's nice to see so many answers. I had a worry about people not finding contests either. so that is when i decided to throw a link for the ones i'm hosting/co hosting in my signature. (granted it would be nice if i actually ventured outside of creative corner. ) Still it's good to hear from the community about what inspires you. 

Still one of my personal gripes is that when I ask what people would like for prizes, most say, "I don't know" or name something over the top. Neither are helpful. We (contest planners/event hosts) want to know what will be nice things to give you, Make suggestions. The GMs can either say yes, no, or modify it so we can give it to you. 

I know that rule changing is hard on people. (which is why i've added the rules are subject to change) but there are valid reasons for those changes and amending. I would rather NOT change anything, but sometimes people force you to add rules that seem like common sense. There are no shortage of clever people for getting around rules or common sense.

as far as not having money for said contests ( be it food, sewing, drawing, painting, digital art ) I have found you are limited by roadblocks you put in front of you. I know it sounds harsh.... but it's not. it's a truth. there are tons of ideas on the web that cost anywhere from free, because you have the items yourself, to $1 to $5 to $$$$$, 

I would love to see more people enter contests. I really believe that the people in RO are very creative and should share their talents~

bit long winded...... hope that helps with the other side of the coin.

#41 Cinquine

Cinquine

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 1063 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

I always found it odd that certain people could afford to spend $100 on boxes but they couldn't afford $5~$10 in craft supplies.

#42 tatihana00

tatihana00

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

*laughing* i was just reading that prize medal post too!!!!

#43 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

this is a beautifully written out question and it's nice to see so many answers. I had a worry about people not finding contests either. so that is when i decided to throw a link for the ones i'm hosting/co hosting in my signature. (granted it would be nice if i actually ventured outside of creative corner. ) Still it's good to hear from the community about what inspires you. 

Still one of my personal gripes is that when I ask what people would like for prizes, most say, "I don't know" or name something over the top. Neither are helpful. We (contest planners/event hosts) want to know what will be nice things to give you, Make suggestions. The GMs can either say yes, no, or modify it so we can give it to you. 

I know that rule changing is hard on people. (which is why i've added the rules are subject to change) but there are valid reasons for those changes and amending. I would rather NOT change anything, but sometimes people force you to add rules that seem like common sense. There are no shortage of clever people for getting around rules or common sense.

as far as not having money for said contests ( be it food, sewing, drawing, painting, digital art ) I have found you are limited by roadblocks you put in front of you. I know it sounds harsh.... but it's not. it's a truth. there are tons of ideas on the web that cost anywhere from free, because you have the items yourself, to $1 to $5 to $$$$$, 

I would love to see more people enter contests. I really believe that the people in RO are very creative and should share their talents~

bit long winded...... hope that helps with the other side of the coin.

The best thing to do when it comes to rules is simply assume common sense is not common. This is why you see a lot of real life sweepstakes/contests have rules that look like essays; better to cover everything so people don't use loopholes to gain an advantage over others.

If you haven't received entries yet, then it's fine to tweak the rules after posting the contest. But once you start receiving entries, you can't continue tweaking rules because that honestly is not fair to those who decide to submit after going through the current rules. I'm certain you wouldn't find it fair if you entered a contest after having read the rules and then your entry was disqualified because the rules were changed halfway through without warning. So don't do that to your fellow players.

Just look at my Secret Odin events. I did not expect so many people to participate in the first one, but I understood that the rules have already been established and it wouldn't be fair to suddenly change it in the middle of accepting entries. So what did I do? I did the event as stated and simply learned from my mistakes and collected feedback. Then on the next Secret Odin event, I learned from my mistakes and changed the rules to be different from the first. It's still not perfect yet, but you shouldn't expect things to be perfect the first time around. Learn from the mistakes and move on to make the next contest/event better. The worse thing you can do for yourself is build a bad reputation as an event/contest host by making the same mistakes over and over again.

#44 tatihana00

tatihana00

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thank you Zero, i had planned to do that.as no entries are yet posted. i was asked a couple questions and felt they should be added. other than that I really don't plan on changing the rules. once the first entry comes in. i'll leave the rules as set in stone and just enjoy seeing the entries. 

#45 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

Thank you Zero, i had planned to do that.as no entries are yet posted. i was asked a couple questions and felt they should be added. other than that I really don't plan on changing the rules. once the first entry comes in. i'll leave the rules as set in stone and just enjoy seeing the entries.

I understand it does suck to refrain from changing the rules in the middle of the contest/event when you want to (goodness knows I desperately wanted to during my first Secret Odin event), but use it as a learning experience. And like I said, all past contests/events are in the events subforums so look through those to see what people did in the past and learn from them when coming up with your own contest/event rules. Even if things mess up and your contest/event was not as perfect as you want it to be, people would be much more appreciative and trusting of you if you did not change the rules after you receive submissions.

#46 tatihana00

tatihana00

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

i really appreciate the suggestion zero~

#47 shirotea

shirotea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Location/where
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

I did do a spriting contest but sadly custom NPCs and monsters aren't possible at this time. Quests are entirely possible, though there are dedicated fungineering writers on the forums for quests (hi krit and ralis!) already. It would be neat if they could arrange something like that since it is their area of expertise. I'm not sure what else could contribute to the game that would actually be of use; as in, not coc kblocked by kRO. Maybe Oda could do some wild west related things. Or perhaps Ragnarok skins? I really like the merchandise idea, that's not something I had considered. I wonder how it would work being non-art related though. Most merchandise things require a sketched design of some sort.

When I said non-art related merchandise, I meant the concept for it.

Not everyone is able to present the idea visually, so a description of how it looks could work out fine, think of it like movie adaptations of novels. I guess it's like brainstorming ideas, but in a contest form.

Of course, there will be a slight difference for everyone's interpretation, so there'll be a contest for artists to present a more detailed design based on the concept.

#48 Daray

Daray

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

I try to enter contests where I believe it is possible that I might win.
If it is certain I will not stand a chance, I generally don't bother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users