23 replies to this topic

#1 ZookeeperAndy

ZookeeperAndy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationAt the place, doing the thing with the stuff

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

I'm sure this might have been brought up before in one form or another, but it would be nice to have status effects that match the ammo type ranged characters use.

As of now, there isn't a huge increase in AP when you equip the basic ammos (wooden arrow, bean bullet, cannon shell) to the best ones (storm, poison, blaze). Unbuffed, Bean bullets to Poison bullets give an additional 62 ap, Cannon Shells to Poison Shells (didnt have Blaze to test) give 56 ap. Not a lot of bang for the buck.

I don't want to overpower them, since some ranged characters already have high ap and status effects already, but given the low ap differential there should be another characteristic that the user can choose their ammo by, instead of just choosing the highest AP and be done with it. Diversity to the ammo selection is what i'm aiming for.

Some theoretical short, low %, status effect examples would be:

Poison bullets and shells - 2s Poison damage (300mg/s) (5% chance success) (non-cumulative, eg: each success does not overlap/stack)
Blaze Shells - 2s Burn damage (500dmg/s) (5% chance success)
Fire bullets - 1s Burn damage (500dmg/s) (5%)
Storm Arrows - 3s Weaken (-15%def) (5%)
Cold bullets - 3s Freeze (-25%mspd) (5%)
Elven Arrows - 3s Slow (-20%aspd) (5%)
Lightning Arrows - 3s Dodge Down (-20%dodge) (5%)

(Of course, these are subject to vary upon development and not set in stone.)

Various weaker forms of the status effects/debuffs can be added to the middle and lower tier ammos (less total time, less dmg/s, and/or weaker status effect).

Edit: Adjusted %s and damages.

Edited by ZookeeperAndy, 03 February 2011 - 08:06 AM.

#2 Logi

Logi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1060 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:53 AM

I like the idea, now they are just a dif colour in your inventory and thats about it, next to more dmg. Plus the short 2/3s durations make sure its not OP. Still they would need to look at the dmg close so it doesnt become that .

+1 in some shape or form

#3 Bendersmom

Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

That would be great. Good idea. Would be good for the classes that use them and for the arti's making and selling them.

#4 jagz

jagz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Server:The Crashing One

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

It would be nice if Blaze shells cought your opponent on fire for a bit, or Poisen shells did just that, but all in all everything is alright how it is now. Besides, if you want to poisen someone, grenade them. :p_devil:

#5 Phish

Phish

Bourgeois & Champion Representative

• Members
  • 3564 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. New York
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

Yeah right now it's not even worth it to use the highest level ammo unless you are going for the looks. (and for cannon shells they all look the same so it doesn't matter). Not to mention the high weight on them. The 62 ap gain on poison bullets compared to bean bullets will do about 29 more damage against a target with minimum defense in pvp; something with 10k defense, will only be about 6 more damage; Extremely insignificant.

Since the success rates and durations are low I don't think this would make them overpowered but still make them useful.

Edited by Phish, 18 November 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#6 floptop

floptop

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:Leo

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

I agree to this, but no poison/fire damage but only satus effects like def down, dodge down, mspd down etc.

#7 DayNine

DayNine

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

I agree to this, but no poison/fire damage but only satus effects like def down, dodge down, mspd down etc.

Would be kinda cool to see implemented

#8 Gwyn

Gwyn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

this would be more deadly than poison or burn :p_devil:
constant firing on someone would mean constant supportive debuff
doing an ff on someone would lead to lots of hurt XD
i like !

#9 DayNine

DayNine

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

this would be more deadly than poison or burn :p_devil:
constant firing on someone would mean constant supportive debuff
doing an ff on someone would lead to lots of hurt XD
i like !

It wouldn't be too bad if the success %s were low around 2%

Edited by DayNine, 18 November 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#10 BrownBear

BrownBear

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

The only way this won't be overpowered is if the success rates are incredibly low (maximum 5%) and either the duration is low or the actual amount of stats lost/damage done is low. It would excite me to see this implemented but they would have to do a lot of in-house testing and balancing to make sure everything is fair, which I don't quite trust them with. Just imagine high attack speed plus imbalanced ammo....

Durations should be no longer than 2 seconds. Maximum success should be 5%. Percentage of stat debuffed should be no larger than 15%. No ammo should provide a stun benefit. Just my guesses at what might possibly make this balanced. You have to realize that high attack speed will greatly increase the effectiveness of this. Don't have to worry about stacking since the game already doesn't allow that.

This would add an interesting new aspect to the game.

#11 ZookeeperAndy

ZookeeperAndy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

I agree with the no stuns as well, as there are enough stuns in the game without including a constant stun-able melee. My idea was that all of the status effects would be a weaker version, with a lower success, and a lower duration then the status effects that are currently available in Skill Trees already, therefore the effect of the ammo will be more a compliment to the user, then a major damage dealing addition.

Edited by ZookeeperAndy, 18 November 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#12 Gwyn

Gwyn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

i totally agree with this idea
make the craftable bullets more desirable for use not just because it looks cool XD

#13 ZookeeperAndy

ZookeeperAndy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

It adds a small strategical element when you're alone or in a party with several ranged characters. It would be beneficial if party members chose different ammo types covering several status effects, and also gives the ability to switch to something more desirable depending on the foe (eg, def down ammo against a knight), especially in a union war or in a team pvp tournament (CoTT?).

#14 Span

Span

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • LocationNot a clue ...
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

This made me remember of firing gems with launchers in Irose :p_devil: .

#15 youichi

youichi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

I`m just wondering why poison shells effect damage higher than the blaze shells? If im not wrong, blaze shells are more expensive than poison shells or just the poison status do more damage than burn status? :p_devil:

#16 ZookeeperAndy

ZookeeperAndy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

I`m just wondering why poison shells effect damage higher than the blaze shells? If im not wrong, blaze shells are more expensive than poison shells or just the poison status do more damage than burn status? :p_devil:

Yes, blaze shells are higher quality and have more ap. The status effects are just examples, and I guess I just rushed it. I'll change the burn damage accordingly to reflect it.

#17 Gwyn

Gwyn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

now that we are talkin about puting elemental statuses on bullets :p_devil:
why not take it a bit further and let us add element to our weapons :)
just a thought coz i would love to have a buring dual katar (just to wear them i dont have hawker class ;))

#18 Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • LocationIndia-Mumbai

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

great idea

The only way this won't be overpowered is if the success rates are incredibly low (maximum 5%) and either the duration is low or the actual amount of stats lost/damage done is low.

but i need to agree here ........
adding status effects will help ranged classes but considering that scouts and bourgs are pretty much balanced
the debuffs need to be small and the gains could be compensated elsewhere so that these classes dont overpower

it could also help ASPD regain some prominence in the game again

but any wrong implementation could easily turn the tables in the sides of these jobs

#19 twitch

twitch

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1404 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

not bad but i do agree i wouldnt even suggest this to GM jus incase thing.. if they did put it in tho it wouldnt be bad but the % should be like 2.5% or 4% and duration 2sec so it would give a diffrence but not by much
s

#20 Viceking

Viceking

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • LocationCanada Québec
  • Server:Dragonis>Leonis

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

if they do that you can see people whine omg nerf bourg,scout,knight endless loll

Edited by Viceking, 21 November 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#21 twitch

twitch

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1404 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

lol na i dont think so if they implement it with those %'s it wouldnt be that bad.. it would get them jus abit better

#22 ZookeeperAndy

ZookeeperAndy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

In light of the Explosives thread, just dusting this proposal off to help the bourgs and artis. If grenades are downgraded, why not diversify the ammo abilities to keep the status quo?

#23 Gojio

Gojio

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5553 posts
  • LocationPastaland

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:22 AM

Considering the amounts of failures I get at refining with 90%, I'd say make the bullet's success rate 5% for each. Nevertheless this is a great idea and would be a good reason to spend some money on the good bullets\shells. Arrows aswell.

#24 Metaleux

Metaleux

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

I think it's a good idea, simply making them add more ap if anything would be nice, but status effects is defenitly cooler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users