Assign different text color to each player inside chat room - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Assign different text color to each player inside chat room

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Achiebles

Achiebles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRokkenjima
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Thor

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

The GM scam using the chat room has been around since the start of RO and it's kinda annoying that it's still around -prolly because there are still players who get scammed through this method.    :p_ang:

Instead of the usual green=you, black= other people inside the chat room, is it possible to assign different text colors to each player inside the chat room? Kinda like how different colors are assigned to each party member in the party menu?   :p_swt:

Edited by Achiebles, 22 March 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#2 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

Nospam 3 will take care of that scam in chat, will have to check with renouille if we are addressing anything else GM/Admin related, like check if they REALLY are an admin.  I been out of the loop for a few days due to an operation.

#3 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

I took a different approach. Trying to scam with the current method results in this:

screenChaos340.png

#4 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for posting that, I was just about to ask if we could demonstrate that new feature.

#5 HiKo

HiKo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

What about when a  new method pops up?. Wouldn't it be easier to just change the colors ?

#6 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

So you're just replacing colons with equal signs? What if we want to use a colon?

#7 Achiebles

Achiebles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRokkenjima
  • Server:Thor

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

So you're just replacing colons with equal signs? What if we want to use a colon?

^I also wanna confirm that.

Maybe it only changes into = when the text before the colon is a name of a GM perhaps?

Edited by Achiebles, 22 March 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#8 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

Currently changing colors is something kRO would have to do because of the chat box. Basically, any number of spaces in a row gets reduced to a single and ":" and ";" get turned into "=".

#9 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

I'd rather it just remove the spaces.

#10 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

I think you can live without colons. It's a simple compromise. If it's just spaces there is still a chance the uninformed will still get scammed.

#11 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

Why go full tilt like that? Just implement spaces and see if it drastically drops scamming. Then go to the annoying stuff if necessary.

#12 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

Making it so multiple spaces get automatically reduced to one space is more than enough to stop these kinds of scammers because the scam relies on the chat box's ability to allow those many spaces to go through. Honestly, there's no reason for anyone to use more than one space in any kind of conversation, so why not just have the chat box not allow more than one space?

#13 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

No control over chat box. This method is to show those who don't forum browse our aren't well informed what going on. I find it, to be honest, a ridiculous argument one would need that much use of colons in a chat, it's not like you're writing a book or something. It's there to make it more obvious.

#14 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

Just because you don't use colons doesn't mean we don't want to. You're letting things go to your head. You shouldn't have to sacrifice every little convenience in the sake of perceived security.

#15 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:13 PM

You shouldn't have to sacrifice every little convenience in the sake of perceived security.

This happens all the time in the software industry...

#16 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

So basically ;_; becomes =_= and Avatar: The Last Airbender turns into Avatar= The Last Airbender.

Just remove the chat feature altogether then, because just lazily replacing : and ; with = goes beyond simple scam prevention and into the realm of obfuscating legitimate communication.

Also=

This happens all the time in the software industry...

Just because it happens doesn't mean it's right nor that users want it.

Edited by kingarthur6687, 22 March 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#17 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

eEmh9XJ.png

#18 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:44 AM

:3

:D

D:

:P

:O

I use colons all the time

#19 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

Playing RO without colon emotes is rather depressing.

#20 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• 2448 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

I'd rather it just remove the spaces.

Why go full tilt like that? Just implement spaces and see if it drastically drops scamming. Then go to the annoying stuff if necessary.

Making it so multiple spaces get automatically reduced to one space is more than enough to stop these kinds of scammers because the scam relies on the chat box's ability to allow those many spaces to go through. Honestly, there's no reason for anyone to use more than one space in any kind of conversation, so why not just have the chat box not allow more than one space?

Removing multiple spaces reduces the range of chat window widths that can be fooled by any particular padding but does not eliminate it. Phishing scammers don't expect their tactics to work all of the time, or even most of the time. They would just continue preying on the most vulnerable by targeting chat window sizes that are close to the default, like this:

screenChaos394.png

Keep in mind that the people who fall for this scheme are somehow completely oblivious to the lines of text that currently look like "skjdlkasjldkajs : ..."; the text in this screenshot, which doesn't contain any multi-space sequences, really doesn't look all that different.

I've put much more thought into this problem than you realize. Of course I'm open to suggestions, but all of the ones proposed so far (I counted two) have been either insufficient or unworkable.

:3
:D
D:
:P
:o

I use colons all the time

Funny story: the first time I mentioned this (when the scams were still "new") I said something like, "that way people can still have their emotes."

So basically ;_; becomes =_= and Avatar: The Last Airbender turns into Avatar= The Last Airbender.

Just remove the chat feature altogether then, because just lazily replacing : and ; with = goes beyond simple scam prevention and into the realm of obfuscating legitimate communication.

Also=

Just because it happens doesn't mean it's right nor that users want it.

It's strange that someone who made such a big deal of "the needs or comfort of those around" would be so willing sacrifice so many real victims over such a trifling inconvenience, or to equate that inconvenience with the inability to communicate altogether.

In any case, it seems that the plan was not accurately communicated. The substitution happens only if the character has spaces on both sides--so none of the examples anyone has offered would actually be affected.

#21 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

can you do it so that it takes Oda: and changes it to this is a scam report this player immediately.

#22 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

This is only for chat rooms, right? I don't think oda goes in chat rooms, else it could be a problem (for like, pub chat).

Chat log

iRO GM Oda : Please enjoy our tiki show today.

Player : oda: can we have xyz thing this week?

#23 Vehona

Vehona

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

Of course I'm open to suggestions, but all of the ones proposed so far (I counted two) have been either insufficient or unworkable.

Small proposal - add some settings file which would control "dangerous" settings where this feature can be enabled/disabled, and leave it "on" by default. If the player agrees to take full responsibility for his actions, he could disable it and deal with the situation on his own.

#24 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Small proposal - add some settings file which would control "dangerous" settings where this feature can be enabled/disabled, and leave it "on" by default. If the player agrees to take full responsibility for his actions, he could disable it and deal with the situation on his own.

Already thought of that, can't remember if Ren agreed with me but we talked about having something like useScammerHeuristics = 1.

Either way there will be a program window to configure all nospam stuff with this new version.

#25 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• 2448 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

I did consider an option like the following but I don't know if it's worthwhile. The main problem is that people in the same chat room but with different settings would see the same chat in different ways, and that could lead to misunderstandings.
chatRoomFilterLevel <0-3> (default: either 2 or 3)
3 - collapses whitespace, changes all ":" and ";" to "="
2 - collapses whitespace, changes all " : " and " ; " to " = "
1 - collapses whitespace
0 - no filtering
Still, it's easy enough so I'll do it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users