Monster AI Update - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Monster AI Update

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

Curious, has there been any progress on the status of the monster AI update showcased years ago?

#2 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

Those AI would have been cool

#3 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

While I am intrigued and would love to have this AI be developed further and implemented in RO, I don't want to see it here on iRO lest all the average pullers and tankers will QQ a lake more salty than the Dead Sea.

#4 DarkGazer

DarkGazer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

I feel really sorry for that orphaned baby desert wolf.

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

While I am intrigued and would love to have this AI be developed further and implemented in RO, I don't want to see it here on iRO lest all the average pullers and tankers will QQ a lake more salty than the Dead Sea.

003810ad19e8eab7754106736ec03644.jpg

#6 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:59 AM

I feel really sorry for that orphaned baby desert wolf.

its mom died just 1 min after it is being adopted :(

#7 Hikusaak

Hikusaak

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationCircle Palace, Crystal Valley, Harmonia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:37 AM

its mom died just 1 min after it is being adopted :(

House Stark approves.

#8 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • LocationIrvine, SoCal USA
  • Server:iRO Renewal Chaos

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:49 AM

I'm on the side of not liking this too much. The rest of the AI change seem workable, my problem is the dwolves. It's a great update on paper, but it's more harm than good in my opinion. Not every 99-101 have a lot of options where to go. Exculding low and mid TIs, they have Nogg road, Juperos, the magmarings, the snowiers, the pinguiculas, the wakwaks, the raydrics, and the dwolves. Dwolves make the second best money in loot after the pinguiculas, the other places you pretty much lose in money after putting in supplies into consideration because mobs hit so hard with ranged attacks or have some crazy super monster that can blindside you. So if Dwolves get that much more aggresive, then some of the classes or people who's not geared as well are forced to only go to Nogg just to be able to break even and level. The Dwolves stage will be not worth going to, as its current merit is that a squishy class can kill there. I'm basing that on my personal experience of running Supernovices and Mechanic. The only classes that are not affected too much by this are the classes that are already doing well in PvM anyway, such as Rangers, genes, gx, rk, warlocks and sorc. Frankly it's my favorite stage to go to for characters that are in that level range. I have so many good memories of it. I mastered ice wall trap trick there, used my first ice launcher there, so on.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

#9 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:34 AM

I'm all for increased difficulty. PvM is too easy as-is ;p

#10 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

yeah, those dwolves pack suddenly turn into seyren windsors spamming spear boom

#11 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:46 AM

yeah, those dwolves pack suddenly turn into seyren windsors spamming spear boom

The important questions are: Where and how do they have spears? And if they aren't spears, what are they throwing? :hmm:

#12 AlmrOfAtlas

AlmrOfAtlas

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6533 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:52 AM

The important questions are: Where and how do they have spears? And if they aren't spears, what are they throwing? :hmm:

:hinthint:

#13 Ryuuzan

Ryuuzan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

kingarthur6687, on 26 Mar 2015 - 7:46 PM, said:

snapback.png

The important questions are: Where and how do they have spears? And if they aren't spears, what are they throwing?  :hmm:

KAVndVH.gif

Edited by Ryuuzan, 26 March 2015 - 05:34 AM.

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

I'm on the side of not liking this too much. The rest of the AI change seem workable, my problem is the dwolves. It's a great update on paper, but it's more harm than good in my opinion. Not every 99-101 have a lot of options where to go. Exculding low and mid TIs, they have Nogg road, Juperos, the magmarings, the snowiers, the pinguiculas, the wakwaks, the raydrics, and the dwolves. Dwolves make the second best money in loot after the pinguiculas, the other places you pretty much lose in money after putting in supplies into consideration because mobs hit so hard with ranged attacks or have some crazy super monster that can blindside you. So if Dwolves get that much more aggresive, then some of the classes or people who's not geared as well are forced to only go to Nogg just to be able to break even and level. The Dwolves stage will be not worth going to, as its current merit is that a squishy class can kill there.

The wolves would only get that aggressive if you mob too many of them up. If anything, it punishes unprepared players that are trying to hog up monsters on a map from other players. As long as you keep the amount of monsters you're hitting low, the aggressive AI shouldn't be an issue. This would bring some semblance of a challenge back to RO.

#15 6773131031232342973

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1484 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Violet
  • Server:Best ragnarok

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

dat baby desert wolf ;(

#16 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

That's dumb, it's not a challenge, it's just ruining what's perfectly fine. It's just reducing content in effect. People are gonna just stop going there, period. Are lowbies leveling in the geffen tower 1st floor after they gave it a "challenge" by overloading it with hunter flies? No, people just moved onto mjolnir 6. There are plenty of places that are "challenge" enough at that level, that's the whole point of me saying that there are not enough places where glass cannons can level. It allows the game to have more variety, to allow more classes raise levels. Look at all these challenge stages for the low 100s-Undersea tunnel 6, Nightmare Pyramid, Guild dungeons, holy grounds, Geffenia. Don't you see how empty they are? Taking away places that squishies can barely go does not do good for the game.

#17 GammaBreaker

GammaBreaker

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

The anti-mob would be pretty great if we had more pre-Renewal Anubis-like options.  Overall, the AI would be pretty neat, but it's a safe bet that it would miff more players than would be pleased by it.

#18 Althes

Althes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Both

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

Look at all these challenge stages for the low 100s-Undersea tunnel 6, Nightmare Pyramid, Guild dungeons, holy grounds, Geffenia. Don't you see how empty they are?

The greatest reason why so less players there is Gramps.

By the way, while I understand what you're saying, I disagree with your argument, because I think a challenge being a challenge is because it is challenging. 

#19 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

That's dumb, it's not a challenge, it's just ruining what's perfectly fine. It's just reducing content in effect. People are gonna just stop going there, period. Are lowbies leveling in the geffen tower 1st floor after they gave it a "challenge" by overloading it with hunter flies? No, people just moved onto mjolnir 6. There are plenty of places that are "challenge" enough at that level, that's the whole point of me saying that there are not enough places where glass cannons can level. It allows the game to have more variety, to allow more classes raise levels. Look at all these challenge stages for the low 100s-Undersea tunnel 6, Nightmare Pyramid, Guild dungeons, holy grounds, Geffenia. Don't you see how empty they are? Taking away places that squishies can barely go does not do good for the game.

The only people I foresee who would be most upset by this kind of update are soloers who mob-level. Again, there's nothing stopping people from taking on less monsters at a time to avoid activating this AI; this just makes mob-leveling more challenging as it should be.

#20 seaechiowai

seaechiowai

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

The greatest reason why so less players there is Gramps.

By the way, while I understand what you're saying, I disagree with your argument, because I think a challenge being a challenge is because it is challenging. 

And I disagree with you. You may be only playing in Gramps, but that doesn't mean everyone is. Plenty of other people move back out to the world during the cooldown, hence there being people in the magmarings and noggs. That challenge being challenge is not a needed change, it's no different than saying you find a game boring because you picked OP class that steamrolls everything, or a lowbie zone is boring to a high level characters so it must be suited to the higher level character. There are people who need that place, if you need that challenge there are plenty of other places to be.

The only people I foresee who would be most upset by this kind of update are soloers who mob-level. Again, there's nothing stopping people from taking on less monsters at a time to avoid activating this AI; this just makes mob-leveling more challenging as it should be.

Mob leveling is not an issue with desert wolves because they /swt2 easily. It's impossible to mob the entire place. It's not how it should be.

#21 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

Mob leveling is not an issue with desert wolves because they /swt2 easily. It's impossible to mob the entire place. It's not how it should be.

So you believe that taking on 2+ monsters should be just as easy as taking on 1? 'Cause video games typically have it such that fighting more than one enemy is harder than fighting 1 enemy at a time. RO is currently dumbed down from that kind of game design.

Also, the AI being showcased here mimics the AI of monsters in MMOs like WoW and Lord of the Rings Online. Heck, even (pre-AOV) RO2's monster AIs were more of a challenge than monsters in RO. That's pretty pitiful.

#22 1392140604170018137

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Taking on multiple mobs IS harder than just taking on one.

#23 Althes

Althes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Both

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

You may be only playing in Gramps, but that doesn't mean everyone is.

That challenge being challenge is not a needed change, it's no different than saying you find a game boring because you picked OP class that steamrolls everything, or a lowbie zone is boring to a high level characters so it must be suited to the higher level character. 

I am not. Nodd was my favourite place.

Actually the greater reason I disagree with you is that I find the AI interesting.  :heh:

#24 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

People are gonna just stop going there, period.

I just want to point out that, should this new AI be further developed and eventually implemented, it will presumably be an across-the-board implementation. "Stop going there" makes no sense because the new AI would affect the whole of RO rather than any singular place.

Also, I rest my case about QQers crying a lake saltier than the Dead Sea; didn't even take an an implementation. =P

#25 DonatoX

DonatoX

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3097 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

I love it ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users