Low-to-Mid Level Discussion/Improvements - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Low-to-Mid Level Discussion/Improvements

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quanta

Quanta

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos/Loki

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hey folks! I first played this game back in...oh, 2002 or so. Back then, I thought it was cute, and interesting, and full of potential. But it had little to do other than grind...and grind...and grind...oh, and did I mention grind? Can't forget grinding.

I quit around 2004 or so (guess why), and recently decided to give the game a try again because I have a bit of a soft spot for it, and was surprised that there was stuff to do outside of grinding!

Well, for high-level characters. Third-class characters. Before that, the game is as grindy as its always been, even with Gramps and Bounty Boards. Basically, the game blows hard until third class when you can finally break up the monotony with other things to do, like instances, and siege.

To that end, I'd like this thread to be devoted to ideas aimed at enhancing the low to mid levels (for Renewal and Classic) by giving players stuff to do other than grind for experience, with the hope that they can gear themselves and/or have a way to reliably participate in the game's economy and activities (eg. siege).

Let's get started!

Low/mid-level Instances

The game is slowly adding new instances for high-level players, both solo and group-oriented, which is good! It gives players stuff to do, it lets them work towards rewards, and it lets them experience fun fights and stories. Lowbies could use some instances though, in both varieties! There's a ton of early dungeons that could have instanced versions that players could do for rewards by fighting special instanced versions of the dungeon MVP. For instance (heh):

Instance: Prontera Culvert
Minimum Level: 30+
Description: Enter Prontera's sewer system and deal with the recent Thief Bug infestation!
Boss: Golden Larva
Rewards: Tarnished Golden Gear, Tarnished Golden Mace

Basically, a quick romp through a Culvert instance to kill a baby GTB, one that doesn't drop a card, but drops some items inspired by GTB's regular drops.

Champion Mob Expansion

Champion mobs are kind of worthless right now; they're just bigger, meaner versions of existing monsters on a given map, with literally the same loot tables. I'd like champion-hunting to be a thing that players can do to try and gear themselves or otherwise get cool stuff, so even if they're grinding for bounty boards they can still take small detours every now and then and get something out of it.

Boss Bounty Board

This is a simple one: with added instances for various level ranges, have a bounty board that gives a random quest each day to kill a particular instance boss. The bounty board would offer a quest for low, mid, and high-level instances. It's like Gramps, if Gramps were cool.

I also have some thoughts on expanding the Eden Group further, in particular giving players more gears to acquire and possibly sell. I've seen a couple of people express concern that players just want to jump from Eden gears to the high-end endgame stuff, so I'd like to think of ways to address that, either via in-game stuff (I was thinking having a new Eden currency that you could get from instance dailies and champion monsters), or by discussing the issue out-of-game (Ragnarok's got a lot of gear, and it's probably being outshone by the high-end stuff you see absolutely everywhere).

Anyways, if folks have ideas of their own they'd like to share about making low-to-mid levels better all around, this is the discussion thread for it. So, discuss.

#2 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

In other MMORPGs, there's crafting and minigame-type activities for players to do in addition to questing. I've already said my piece on crafting a long time ago and it's still relevant.

A fishing minigame would be a nice time-waster in RO, but unfortunately kRO would prefer it to be a temporary event thing instead of a permanent feature.

kRO recently implemented an Achievements system so that's something in store for low-mid level players.

More PVM ideas I came up with a while back.

Champion Mob Expansion

Boss Bounty Board

Champion Bounties

#3 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

Sadly, very few people stay below 100 for long in this game unless they are very new or very casual.  But, that being said, I like the idea of more low level contents.

For instances, there's already the Orc insance which is level 80 or 85max.  I was also thinking an instance version of Culverts would be fun, but I would have the regular GTB as the boss but give it a min 1 day cooldown and a max level to prevent over-hunting.

I would like to give low level charas the ability to do mvp hunting, but since all low tier mvps are open range, they're usually killed by some high level chara before anyone else has a chance to hunt it, much less a low level person who actually wants to make it a challenge. 

I can think of 2 ways of changing this: 1) making simple instance versions of low level dungeons with a max level and one day cooldown that ends with battling the mvp(s) in that dungeons.  The dungeons could give reward points of some sort that could be use to buy equipment.

2) MVP Summoner TE which would only have low tier mvps and have a maximum level cap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users