Ranger Job Change Quest (It's Impossible, Please Fix) - Archer Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ranger Job Change Quest (It's Impossible, Please Fix)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Poring

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

Just want to say that the first part of this quest is impossible from my location in the US because of server lag.  The amount of time it takes the server to send me the name of the monster makes it nearly impossible to pass this quest.  I was attempting to do it for my girlfriend who had failed over 10 times at the test.  I failed at least ten times as well.  I myself just jobchanged to Wanderer on my main, and the quest was nowhere near as impossible as this one.  I was wondering if you could just give her the third class because this quest is impossible for us unless the server ping drops (which it never will due to the game's age).

Edited by 2809130510223307393, 21 April 2015 - 04:50 PM.

#2 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

And what I mean by lag is I have to mouseover every monster to see its name, which means the game doesn't request the monster name from the server until then, so I have to wait that .5 seconds it takes for the name to show up.  Which means I lose tons of time just waiting for the names to show up as I try to mouseover each poring in the tiny amount of time it gives you.  :(

#3 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

You don't need to mouse over all of the porings. Just the one on the north island. This is actually the easiest part of the test. Here's the guide for the Ranger test:

http://irowiki.org/w...ob_Change_Guide

It does take some getting used to... trying to remember which location the correct poring is based on the name of the northern poring and all, but it's not all that hard once you get used to it.

Edited by belld1711, 20 April 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#4 Energystar

Energystar

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

You only need to know the Top Middle monster name to locate the Poring. a little lag wont disturb so much.

Or give me your ID and Pass, I will play it for you :p_smile:

#5 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

I have seen that page.  I can't see how that list helps at all, though.  Every time they spawned you'd have to read three names at least and remember what direction each one means, which would seem to take even longer than just looking at them. 

#6 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

Ah sorry I missed the part about having to look at the north island.  Ugh..

#7 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

I have seen that page.  I can't see how that list helps at all, though.  Every time they spawned you'd have to read three names at least and remember what direction each one means, which would seem to take even longer than just looking at them. 

You only need to find the name of the northern one. If it's name is Poporing, quickly mouse over to the eastern island and attack. You don't have to know it's name, because it'll always be the poring. Likewise, if the northern poring's name is "Poja", target and attack the south-eastern poring.

#8 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

Ugh, now I died on the second room because of the game's movement glitch where you just can't move for no reason at all.  Which happens constantly since like ten years ago.  Awesome....I give up

#9 3452140212150117003

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Locationwest prontera
  • Server:dedservRO

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd~
you completed the 1st part 16 mins ago, then give up doing the 2nd part 9 mins later. Clearly iRo isn't really a game that suit you  :Emo_13: 

#10 ChickenPorkAdobo

ChickenPorkAdobo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationNASA PUSO MO!!!
  • Server:Server ng Pagbabago

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

suggestion on the second test, you may want to bring some tokens so once you die, you can just resu and continue with the test. I am also experiencing server lag (currently in the Middle east) but still manage to finish the quest. (though i used a lot of token to finish the quest because of the lag). 

Edited by 40140222094204027, 20 April 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#11 PlayerOfLegend

PlayerOfLegend

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:32 PM

you could ask someone to do it for you

i've done it for 2 of my friends, its easy once u get the hang of it

dont give up! making ranger is definately worth it 

Edited by PlayerOfLegend, 20 April 2015 - 10:33 PM.

#12 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:35 PM

lol I told ya that the first part is the easiest. :P I actually had to do this test for my wife and for rockymom. Just keep trying. You'll get more arrows each time you fail.

Before you talk to the first NPC, use your bow to try and take out some of the plants that are in your way, or use arrow shower to move them. Don't waste too much time, though. Just clear a path through a good bit of the course. Once that's done, rush back to the first NPC, pick up the bombs and such. After that, spam the bombs, letting them all explode behind you, then run to the second NPC. At the end, there's really only mandragoras, or some such. Nothing that'll do too much harm. You just need to get close enough to the NPC to talk to it and live long enough to spam the enter button.

#13 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:50 PM

arrow repel ftw

#14 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

arrow repel ftw

Er, that what I meant. >_>;

#15 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:06 PM

my advices:
part 1
do double strafe to kill poporing and marin quick. extra time to fire 2 arrows is too much for 1 agi hunter/sniper like me.
part 2
when u just got in, walk to the end of this area, take down those droseras, parasites and nephentes. then arrow repels some geos and muscis to a location where they cant hurt you. then backtrack to get bombs. there is a time when the instruction is given and the monsters are not spwned yet. so you can walk to the end of the area and start doing killing as you backtrack to get bombs. then, just release the bombs as you walk by. the path is now clear since all ranged monsters already killed and other planta already moved where their attack cant reach you.
tips: you can cheat this quest by taking any item you want as long as your weight is under 50. go use eden gears, put some tokens, green ales, etc.
part 3
no trick, just alt+left click the eggs

Edited by fuyukikun, 20 April 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#16 Jupitel

Jupitel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

Make sure your Mercenary AI isn't corrupted before you attempt the third part. I was so mad when I made it to the third part after 4 attempts and then the entire thing crashed with an AI error

#17 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

My girlfriend has now given up on her hunter class after spending six hours today tring to pass the second test.  Maybe this game needs more work.  

She died repeatedly from movement bugs (from getting hit because you have to get within range of the monsters to destroy them with bombs), AI bugs (the bomb not going off, the bomb stopping following her but not going off, etc), bad design (in the middle of the course is a monster which hits you every 0.3 seconds for 700 which drains your life in about 4 seconds and prevents you from being able to move away at all), and from the time elapsing when she was nearly to the end one time.  She's now unequipping the character to sell its stuff because she can't pass the test.  We've both tried numerous times and it's completely (pardon my french) retarded that you have to do this impossible of a test after already having spent hundreds of hours to raise a reborn hunter.  The tests should at least be consistent between classes in terms of difficulty.  No other class I have played has had a change quest anywhere near this hard.  And it isn't just us - you have to wait over 20 minutes per attempt because so many people cannot pass this test.  It is, quite simply, in need of attention from the developers.  It makes her very angry and disappointed that she can't play the character she's been working on with me for months anymore.  And now I have a level 101 Wanderer and she has to make a new character before she can play with me again.  This is completely ridiculous.  I think in this instance the admins should just give her the class.  Since the majority of the reason is simply bugs that have existed in the game since it first came out over a decade ago.  It kind of offends me as a programmer that a game with this many blatant problems with basic ingame operations continues to make so much money.  Movement is broken and has been since the game was released.  You know what I'm talking about (when you click to move somewhere and your character just stands there, and then you can't move anywhere for at least 5 seconds while you click around frantically trying to move, and then your character eventually starts responding to movement commands again...meanwhile you're getting raped by monsters).  PLEASE fix this quest so it's at least 10% possible, instead of 0.1%.

#18 hmc317

hmc317

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1461 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

youtube it

i used this one last year when i made a ranger, just use double strafe/arrow shower, and you should be able to get around the mobs in part 2.

skip to 3:35 for part 2 of the test

edit: another youtube video that does that second part cleaner, same strat of killing mobs before using bombs.

skip to 2:52 for part 2 of test

Edited by hmc317, 21 April 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#19 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

My girlfriend has now given up on her hunter class after spending six hours today tring to pass the second test. Maybe this game needs more work.

She died repeatedly from movement bugs (from getting hit because you have to get within range of the monsters to destroy them with bombs), AI bugs (the bomb not going off, the bomb stopping following her but not going off, etc), bad design (in the middle of the course is a monster which hits you every 0.3 seconds for 700 which drains your life in about 4 seconds and prevents you from being able to move away at all), and from the time elapsing when she was nearly to the end one time. She's now unequipping the character to sell its stuff because she can't pass the test. We've both tried numerous times and it's completely (pardon my french) retarded that you have to do this impossible of a test after already having spent hundreds of hours to raise a reborn hunter. The tests should at least be consistent between classes in terms of difficulty. No other class I have played has had a change quest anywhere near this hard. And it isn't just us - you have to wait over 20 minutes per attempt because so many people cannot pass this test. It is, quite simply, in need of attention from the developers. It makes her very angry and disappointed that she can't play the character she's been working on with me for months anymore. And now I have a level 101 Wanderer and she has to make a new character before she can play with me again. This is completely ridiculous. I think in this instance the admins should just give her the class. Since the majority of the reason is simply bugs that have existed in the game since it first came out over a decade ago. It kind of offends me as a programmer that a game with this many blatant problems with basic ingame operations continues to make so much money. Movement is broken and has been since the game was released. You know what I'm talking about (when you click to move somewhere and your character just stands there, and then you can't move anywhere for at least 5 seconds while you click around frantically trying to move, and then your character eventually starts responding to movement commands again...meanwhile you're getting raped by monsters). PLEASE fix this quest so it's at least 10% possible, instead of 0.1%.

you certainly didnt do what people advised here. why botherasking when you wont do what they suggested anyway.

#20 3452140212150117003

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • Locationwest prontera
  • Server:dedservRO

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

yeah you make it sound so impossible to pass that exam. Then again, there are so many ranger in the game. So meh?

btw, i agree with fuyukikun. If you even read and do what people are suggesting in this thread, you should already pass by now.

#21 iannsong87

iannsong87

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

im like at the opposite side of California so theres lag here

but still i manage to make my ranger >_>

well it might be hard but its not impossible

#22 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

Sorry, too angry to read the replies which probably flamed my last angry response, but I just wanted to say that this is completely ridiculous.  I rallied my desire to try this and we played another two hours of attempts at this and it's completely impossible.  Even if I use arrows to go through and attack the stuff before I get the bomb ring, even if I use the list on the first puzzle which makes it more of a chore than anything so that I can get delayed before I get glitch-killed in the second area, there is absolutely no reason we should have to spend every moment of game time over the course of three days trying to pass a class change quest.  This quest needs adjustment.  You're right, I'm angry.  Because this is a game.  And this stupid quest is completely ruining our fun and removing any desire we have to play this.  We are beyond frustrated after endless attempts for three days straight.  The one time I got nearly to the end of the second area for her, I had the movement glitch again and got stuck in place while my bomb ticked down.  If your game is so broken that it's completely impossible to get through a quest which completely bars all character advancement until it's completed, there is no point in playing it.  I'm sorry, but I've really enjoyed this game over the years, and that's why I got my girlfriend into it and that's why we've bought items from the Kafra shop lately (to support it).  And now we've hit a wall that is preventing us from doing ANYTHING in the game.  I don't want to advance my character without her, and she can't advance hers because of a 99.9% impossible quest.  Do you understand the illogic of a quest being so complicated that it's only possible with a wiki guide, and even then takes over 50 tries?  There's no point in fighting monsters endlessly when you aren't gaining experience for it.  We've attempted this quest over 50 times now.  This is insanely frustrating; I don't know what else to say or how many times I can say it.  ARGH.

#23 Taien

Taien

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:43 PM

Just read some replies...to the people who suggest I'm simply not skilled enough, you know where you can stick it.  The game's movement glitches are my cause of death 90% of the time, not getting killed by the monsters because I actually made a mistake.  Without the movement glitches which have existed since 2003 or whenever this game first came out, I could easily pass this test.  But I always end up getting "locked" in place where I can't move (not from being hit, but just because RO movement is glitchy).  It's incredibly frustrating that a broken game element from over a decade ago is still preventing us from completing the quest ten years later.  You can find tickets and posts on this issue that are years old, and if the old forums still existed I would bet it would be all over those too.  I'm sorry, I've been a huge fan of the game, but it's a bit hard to ignore the fact that the devs leave huge bugs in the code without so much as a second thought.  I mean, is it necessary for the bomb quest test to send you back to Alberta every time you die because of a movement glitch?  Why not just allow the player to retry the 2nd part?  In all other job change quests that I've done, there is always a save point in each section, and none of the quests are ANYWHERE near this hard.  

#24 DeadIntern

DeadIntern

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1725 posts
  • Server:Renewal - Chaos

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

If it's really hard for the both of you to clear the job change quest, then why don't you play another class?

You said it yourself: it's just a game, so if you begin to feel that this quest is not enjoyable to you anymore, don't do it :>

But I'll just say this: while the quest is certainly hard, it's doable. You just need to be persistent. No, the quest is not broken (well, slightly, with the homun AI bug thing that will crash your RO client just when you're about to clear the quest. So make sure you fix that beforehand).

In fact, the population of ranger class is the largest in iRO (source: http://ropd.info/?na...ss distribution), and all of them did the job change quest with the same exact situation as you, with all that glitches or whatever that you mentioned. So your argument that you can't clear the quest due to this is, to be frank, quite invalid.

Try different tactics, review the part where you failed and see if you can do any different. But most of all, take it easy and enjoy the difficulty man. I assure you, there'll be not much quest that is as hard as this. And what's the point of playing if it's not challenging, right? :)

Edited by DeadIntern, 22 April 2015 - 01:09 AM.

#25 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:09 AM

All I'll say is: Beware of AB job quest.

:p_angel:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users