Advantages of Starting as Blacksmith or Rogue with Priest alt - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Advantages of Starting as Blacksmith or Rogue with Priest alt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anakron

Anakron

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

For players just starting out these are the two classes I recommend.

Blacksmiths advantages are free greed so you don't need to worry much with looting and will never need to get an hbp for quick looting as well as having a 5 skill point 5% neutral resistance passive,the ability to repair weapons until you get a zipper bear card for a higher end weapon to counter power thrusts weapon break chance while maintaining decent aoe and having ore discovery to gain a ton of oridecon and elunium while mobbing. Great option for starting a foundation with option to transition to a pure forger later on if you elect to change your primary class.

As for rogue the advantages come later on with gank being an early economic boost until you can hunt bigger game and aford whatever methods of making zeny you ultimately decide on. With shadowspell for aoe and several options to benefit from atk builds as well now it is viable in pve to start a foundation but likely will ultimately become an alt used in pvp and woe. They have insane evasion and benefit from a shield without a ton invested and they don't absolutely require any expensive equipment to be sustainable at least to level 110 or so which is high enough to bring in a steady flow of zeny from gank and aoe looting. I won't be specific on builds as it depends on what equipment you wind up with and how you like to play what will ultimately work for you but these two classes I strongly advise for newcomers to consider as the most common issue I've heard is the lack of a reliable means for a new player to make zeny. If you are strapped for time you can also benefit from buy vending with any merchant type and buy low,sell high; The most basic principal of bussiness.

As for priest alt if you get to ab it makes leveling any character much easier though dual accounting can be tedious at first. You will also have it as an option to get in any ti group you want even if it is just to gain magic stones from the badges. Guilds will love you if you main ab also.

Not exactly a guide but I figured I'd put this out there in the event any new players actually find their way to the forums looking for direction.

Edited by Anakron, 24 April 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#2 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

I'm pretty sure maces are unbreakable, and I've never broken axes using power thrust. going pure forger is also pointless these days.

anyone starting out should have a merchant class for vending purposes. outside of that, genes > mechs in basically every facet of the game. genes are expensive to maintain though.

rangers are probably the easiest class to get up and running, and will never be lacking for parties.

genes and rks (dragon breath) are also in high demand and do fine leveling on their own as well.

#3 Anakron

Anakron

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

I'm pretty sure maces are unbreakable, and I've never broken axes using power thrust. going pure forger is also pointless these days.

anyone starting out should have a merchant class for vending purposes. outside of that, genes > mechs in basically every facet of the game. genes are expensive to maintain though.

rangers are probably the easiest class to get up and running, and will never be lacking for parties.

genes and rks (dragon breath) are also in high demand and do fine leveling on their own as well.

I'm talking for funding. Remember when starting out even getting a hold of any garm with a raydric card was a pain unless you know the game before hand. The free greed+built in neutral resist on a battle smith is a good option to fund the first high level char you work on until you can actually make some zeny off of overlook/ti and enchants. Rogue is also a good option due to gank and massive evasion. If you have some starter funds going in gene is def the best option but otherwise I still recommend a battle smith till you can at least do some basic defensive gear or you will hate life with gene till you cap out your homunculus which in its self takes so long due to feeding. The time isn't usually an issue but for a new player gene will be a constant money sink until they cap homunculus being reliant on straws for any combat and lack of anything to help defensively early on. In the long run you could do two genes,one for farming/mvp and a pure brewer/chef and be wealthy but to get to that point takes time or a lot of throw away income that won't be missed.

There is the option of doing odin/vali/vidar with size carded stone bucklers and an earth deleter card on an alchemist if you are in a rush to cap one but keep in mind the same gear on a blacksmith with skin tempering, damage buffs and dex+ cart revolution is more effective, with ore discovery you get tons of ori/elu drops which can be sold in bulk for quick zeny and you get a free pile bunker if you make it to gene which is the highest damaging weapon for them outside of mvp carded upgraded/enchanted hfs and stuff to compensate the increased damage taken from no shield. If you at least get skin tempering and ore discovery on a blacksmith you are good for funding leveling all the way to gene with your main if you opt for the class, also great option for funding ranger to get better enchanted ww set for leveling.

Also recommend rogue alt for gank to help if you main ranger. Go for a zeny knife/1 str build for arrow crafting and other item gathering(good for alchemist brewing items, sage scroll reageants, elder branch for rk rune crafting,etc.) You gain zeny on kill and the low damage will allow you to use gank endlessly with high dex and evasion so you don't have to farm as frequently to get items required to make your arrows/quivers. Should clarify the idea with 1str on gank rogue. Recommend using falcon muffler from odin set with sky deleter card in any slot armor and slotted boots  with zombie slaughterer for hp gain on kill so all you will need is a few fresh fish. The gear is all lightweight and you have all your weight reserved for the item you are after. If you elect to pay vip later you can give them a heavy carrier box to improve wieght limit and they'll always have a purpose if you use a class that burns resources which in ro is pretty much every 3rd job. Another option for flee on armor garm is panties/undershirt or if you come across a skin of ventus. trans you have the option of the dragon robe/mant from a quest as well if you go that far with the char.

Edited by Anakron, 08 June 2015 - 01:32 AM.

#4 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

there are way better ways of getting zeny these days. I mean just doing a bounty board quest gets you 35k. completing all the kill quests on a bounty board (some boards have as little as two mobs) will get you EMBs (number increased if you are VIP). completing overlook gets you a choice of byalan dungeon card. running gank rogues seems really inefficient.

also shadow chasers are one of the worst classes to level pvm-wise, and one of the more expensive to gear up in the first place. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone as their first char. as far as enhanced flee and such, anything a rogue has an assassin can do better.

#5 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

also shadow chasers are one of the worst classes to level pvm-wise, and one of the more expensive to gear up in the first place. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone as their first char. as far as enhanced flee and such, anything a rogue has an assassin can do better.

I don't really agree. You just need to change your paradigm. When you're a rogue/stalker, Use intimidate to copy [Heal] and use skill points to get [Double Strafe] or use intim to get [Bowling Bash] and you have a super self-efficient hunter. Once you're a chaser you can do things like copy turn undead 10 with reproduce and then hunt dark priests for Black Rosaries. Steal from them, then TU them. And you can keep yourself healed. Near 0 cost, mega money maker that kills with any gear.

Edited by Jaye, 08 June 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#6 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

it's not hard for any class to get to third class. i'm more talking about the grind to 175 though. sure black rosaries are a big money maker but is that actually an efficient way to level? from some of the guides floating around on these forums it looks like getting to 175 efficiently requires a couple of stat resets as you switch from different copied skillsets as you level up. even then, getting to 175 as a shadowchaser will make your eyes bleed if you don't get bio4 carries.

gank rogues are the botters tool of choice, specifically because they can run forever and aren't constrained by things like needing to sleep. getting your vendor bs with greed and making a few passes through orc dungeon looting everything that the afkemists leave on the ground will get you way more zeny than you ever could obtain in the same amount of time as a gank rogue. then you can by all the arrows you'd ever want. I've picked up cards and even an OAB greeding thru OD2.

#7 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

My comments are more from the standpoint of "economic boost" for new players advice from the OP. I've always found self-healing characters (priest, monk, rogue etc), simple ranged (hunter, performer), and flee-heavy characters (thief, etc) keep your costs down so you can get to 100+ and make a bit of zeny, learn to play the game, and then start a more serious project character as your next one. A simple ranged self-healing flee character is as playskool as you get for someone struggling to pick up the game and not constantly struggle for your next white potion fix.

Getting to 175 isn't a new player tip. 150-175 requires grinding or parties, and some measure of preparation; and it should be this way. I'd say new player advice should focus on getting people to 100+ and established financially, then they should go to advanced class stratgey forums and find out how they should spend that capital and direct that gameplay experience productively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users