[renewal] woe lag reduction proposal - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[renewal] woe lag reduction proposal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Since it is well within the powers of the warpportal team to move maps around to different servers, i propose that we have a weekly poll for renewal players to vote for which map that they would be focusing the majority of their woe time on.

After each week, the map with the highest votes could be moved to a server on its own, or a server that has very minimal load.  I believe this could help with the lag issue without needing kRO intervention.

#2 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

i'm wary of anything that involves forum polls.

#3 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

got a better idea then?

#4 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

if the woe realms aren't already on dedicated servers, make that happen first. if they still receive lag then you need better servers. putting it to vote/shifting map servers every week is so easily abused and might not even be feasible (i.e. does it need a mini-maint to implement, etc)

#5 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

if they were gonna do that it would make more sense to just rotate realms or something, but i feel that's more of a band-aid fix. >_<

#6 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

I propose to all of you. Will you marry me, everyone in this thread?

#7 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

Will we be getting complimentary white slims brewed by the one and only legendary Doctor Tame?

#8 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

if they were gonna do that it would make more sense to just rotate realms or something, but i feel that's more of a band-aid fix. >_<

rotate between realms when the players already have a pretty good idea on where all the fighting will be at?  Asking kRO for anything that requires reworking of game itself is pretty much out of the question, so using the strongest available hardware for where the expected load will be at seems much more feasible to do to help the lag.  The other option is to get more hardware, which is probably not an option because i doubt warpportal will want to spend additional money for more hardware.

#9 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:29 AM

rotate between realms when the players already have a pretty good idea on where all the fighting will be at?  Asking kRO for anything that requires reworking of game itself is pretty much out of the question, so using the strongest available hardware for where the expected load will be at seems much more feasible to do to help the lag.  The other option is to get more hardware, which is probably not an option because i doubt warpportal will want to spend additional money for more hardware.

you're asking all participants to file public battle plans in advance. that's never going to work lol. is the woe state that terrible that no one econs anymore?

#10 schia

schia

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1356 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

you're asking all participants to file public battle plans in advance. that's never going to work lol. is the woe state that terrible that no one econs anymore?

could always be an anonymous poll like one of the strawpoll things.  Besides i'm sure most people know a week ahead of time which realm/maps they will be doing most of the fighting on.

Also RIP this got moved to the proposals section.  Guess this shall be forever ignored then.

#11 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

it doesn't matter if it's anonymous or not; you're still asking people to divulge their woe plans publicly by the mere fact that a particular map server is being moved.

recently one smaller guild managed to actually econ up a woe 2 castle because they essentially flew under the radar. if all their guild members voted in a poll, even anonymously to ensure that their realm remained clear so they could mount a defense, one of the larger guilds would surely have noticed that discrepancy and then come calling. indeed, they lost their castle the following woe after they attempted a woe2 god item create.

I just don't see how polling works here. not everyone visits the forums either.

if the woe realms are not already on their own dedicated servers, that should be the first thing that is fixed. if it is still laggy then WP needs to invest in some better hardware because that's unacceptable.

#12 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Moving it from server to server or map to map isn't gonna really help. Still has to go thru the same pipe back up the stack. And with people using programs to bypass client restrictions spamming more packets at the main entry point, its like trying to fit a bus into a mouse hole. Treating the cause, not the symptoms.

#13 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

@Inu, so does this mean better hardware won't solve the problem? just curious.

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

It's not the hardware, it's the outdated and unoptimized programming. Like having the best computer to date, but you're still running on Windows 98.

#15 kingarthur6687

kingarthur6687

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Like having the best computer to date, but you're still running on Windows 98.

I would argue RO would run better on Windows 98 than any of the current supported Windows operating systems.

#16 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

I would argue RO would run better on Windows 98 than any of the current supported Windows operating systems.

Because RO is scripted on said outdated and unoptimized programming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users