Damage reduction cards - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Damage reduction cards

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SoulTakeshi

SoulTakeshi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

Hello, i want to know what is better, Size reduction cards or Race reduction cards? for PvM and leveling, and what is the best shield to equip, Valkyria Shield, Immune shield or other?

Regards

#2 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

Depends on the map, If everything is medium(biolabs) and has mixed races(demi/demon in biolabs) for example size is better. If it's mostly all the same race(abyss lake) then race makes more sense. I throw all my leveling cards in valk shields to be honest. Nice defense, easy to buy.

#3 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

Well you would, Viri!

Not everyone is independently wealthy though.

You should not sacrifice anything else to get a valk shield for pvm alone. MVP? Definitely - an alice is wasted elsewhere. Pvp/WoE? Don't leave home without it. But any pvm other than maybe labs doesn't demand it, and if you're zeny constrained, you should not sacrifice getting other gear you need in order to get valk shield for leveling.

#4 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

Oh, just as an addition, if you just want to invest in one PVM shield. A hodremlin valk shield on pretty much any class is sufficient for pvm up to 150(I haven't done any post 150 content but I doubt it's that much harder). I only ever PvM to level though, so I wouldn't go mvping with that unless you had a party and didn't care if you died.

#5 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

why didn't I play classes that can equip shields :(

Edited by Necrohealiac, 05 May 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#6 Akupuff

Akupuff

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2790 posts
  • Twitter:@akupuff
  • LocationMexico

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hodremlin Valk is the shield to get if you only want 1 shield for the rest of your leveling life.

As Viri said, it all depends on the map:

Some maps have a manageable variety of mobs and can be handled by certain race reductions, like Scaraba, Abbey 2, Abyss, Orcs, Biolabs 2, Juperos, Turtles. These are mostly a map where you hunt 1 or 2 mobs.

Some others have a race mix but can benefit from size reduction, like Rachel Sanctuary, Biolabs 3-4, Einbroch Dungeon or even Prontera Culverts. This maps can be the ones where you want to hunt 1 or 2 mobs but other ones cause trouble.

Some other maps are jerks and have hopelessly mixed mobs, like Nogg, Juno fields, west Comodo, Lighthalzen fields, Odin's Shrine and have to settle with a Hodremlin shield. 

Racial cards are often used in cheap shields because expensive ones don't offer much more 90% of the time. There are certain ones that deserve being in a Valk Shield, but are often used for very special instances and dungeons.

Size cards are rarer because of the mobs that have them and not used that often either. Anti-medium is popular because Biolabs. Anti-small is not so good because when was the last time a small monster gave you that much trouble? Anti-big is not so popular either because scary large monsters tend to also be MVP/Boss.

Alice card is not only useful for MVP'ing, but for certain maps where Boss Mobs are everywhere, like Thor 3. Only 2 shields come to mind where putting an Alice is not a waste: Valk and Immune. Immune is useful for MVPs that don't use elemental attacks at all, like Doppel, LoD and the most infamous of all, Beelzebub.

Immune shield is a very good shield when you just want less damage from normal attacks, but needs to be +9 and up to really shine. Also, it has more specialized used than Valk or racial shields. 

If you have the money, a Hodre Valk is the most average option. I myself used just a +0 Valk Shield [Clean] for a long time. :v

#7 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

Short answer, it depends and get both / all.

Longer answer, a lot of good stuff covered above.

Few more points I can add, anti-small is really good for Eclage mobs and certain turn ins. Anti-medium really is very awesome though as most regular monsters in the game are medium. Anti-large, not used as often but you often see TIs where both monsters are large and different race (AKs + Naga, etc).

One point where racial cards really shine is stacking. There aren't really any gears out there that provide size reductions to add onto the shield reduction. So you're really stuck with 25% in total. But there are tons of gears that allow you to stack on top of the racial shield cards, sometimes adding up to a total reduction of 80% or more. Everyone knows the demihuman ones already because of WoE (CEB, red pom, handkerchief, CK, etc.) but this applies to other races too. 25~30% reduction is sorta nice on its own, but when you get to the really high percentages (70% and over), that's when you really have godly reductions.

Of course, if you don't care much about PVM, use tons of BMs to blast through it, rely mostly on TI parties (aka leeching), don't do much endgame besides PVP, by all means go with the all-around hodremlin. To me that 15% won't really make a difference in your overall performance though and you could just be naked.

Valks are nice for cards you think you will use a lot. Like if you are planning to spend hours / days / weeks in scarabs map, go ahead and put the bug race card into a valk.

#8 SoulTakeshi

SoulTakeshi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

O.O I understand, i don't have a lot of zeny, but i can buy a Valky shield, i think (before this post) the Size reduction is better compared with Racial, I was wrong, thx for the answers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users