• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JStarbux

JStarbux

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

I've searched around but couldn't find a topic related to this change in Renewal.

While on renewal, it seems the more monsters that are hitting you, their damage continues to grow despite how weak of a monster it is. Example being culvert.

Before you could drag 20+ thief bugs and they are doing 1 to 5 damage each. In renewal, now that you get up to 10 monsters or so, they all start to get super strength and are doing 50 to 80 damage each. I understand that the flee should no longer work as this was consistent before renewal; however, the monsters shouldn't get signifcantly stronger just because of their volume.

Did I miss a change in the way mobs are supposed to work? Was this an attempt to prevent massive mobbing? Please enlighten me.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:48 AM

As in pre-renewal, soft (stat based) defense is reduced just like flee.

#3 JStarbux

JStarbux

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

As in pre-renewal, soft (stat based) defense is reduced just like flee.

Perhaps you didn't read my post. I've stated an obvious and evident change in the amount of monsters that can be dragged while taking hits...

I could drag 30 or so without any threat of dying in order to collect blank cards. Not a single monster did more then 10 damage to me.

Now, after about 10 monsters, thief bugs are doing 50+ damage.

Your statement about soft Def is even less likely due to the fact that my hard defense is significantly higher in renewal then it was pre-renewal due to some armor defense changes and my soft defense is virtually the same:
Renewal Defense = (soft ~75 and hard ~250)
PreRenewal Defense = (soft ~50 and hard ~100)

Does anyone have a more legitimate answer not based on assumptions?

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

First, to clear something up, you did NOT have 100 hard def pre-renewal. At 100 hard def, damage is reduced by 100%, and 100 hard def was not obtainable except with Battle Chant. The stat window erroneously displayed +'s as 1 def instead of 2/3rds of 1 def, which could cause it to display a value of ~100 with highly upgraded gear, but the actual hard def was substantially lower (assuming all +9's, there would be 45 def from upgrades which gave 30 def, so you had ~85 hard def pre-renewal).

Secondly, i assumed you'd read the databases and were aware of the increased attack. As with many monsters, the attack of the Thief Bug was significantly modified. http://db.irowiki.or...ster-info/1051/

Finally, you seem unaware of the fact that the mechanics of defense were drastically changed. Pre-renewal, hard def reduced damage by a percentage = to hard def, so 50 def = 50% reduction. In renewal, the percentage of damage that you take is figured by (600/(600+hard def)), so 300 def is 33% reduction (600/900 = 66.7% damage taken so 33.3% reduction), and so on. I'm not sure that the number is 600 (i've heard 580 claimed too), but it's something like that.

Pre-renewal thief bug:
Attack 18-24
18-24 *0.15 = 2-5 damage, with a mob large enough to reduce your soft def to nothing.

Post-renewal Thief Bug:

Attack 84 ~ 107

250 hard def = ~30% reduction (300 is ~1/3rd)

84-107 * 0.7 = 58 - 75 damage when soft def is reduced to nothing. That's just an approximation, as the 250 hard def = 30% reduction is an estimate. I think you may have other reduction in play, or there may be a floor beneath the amount by which soft def is reduced.

So, these results are entirely expected.

Edited by DrAzzy, 08 December 2010 - 08:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users