How To: install RO/chat programs in Linux - Page 3 - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How To: install RO/chat programs in Linux

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hey Guys,
Returning RO player praying I can get it working on my 64 bit OpenSuse 12.3 installation. I have wine installed and vcrun2008.
I don't even get past the installation process, my windows knowledge is well... bad... I get the following error output to the CLI:-
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destination
err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destination
err:msi:ready_media cabinet not found: L"C:\\users\\root\\Application Data\\Gravity Interactive, Inc\\Ragnarok Online 14.2.1\\install\\disk1.cab"
err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles Failed to ready media for L"AI.lua"
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"InstallFiles" returned 1603
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603

Any ideas?
Cheers

See this post on the Ragnarök Online C4 forum (the information it contains also applies to Wine).

By the way, you shouldn't run Wine as root because because it's unnecessary and could potentially expose your system to security threats.

I think it's time to create a new thread concerning playing RO on Linux, with up-to-date instructions in the first post. :)

Edited by Axylus, 20 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#52 VIICloudStrife

VIICloudStrife

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

See this post on the Ragnarök Online C4 forum (the information it contains also applies to Wine).

By the way, you shouldn't run Wine as root because because it's unnecessary and could potentially expose your system to security threats.

I think it's time to create a new thread concerning playing RO on Linux, with up-to-date instructions in the first post. :)

Hmm I have just noticed the line applicationdata/users/root as well. The strange thing is, I never run wine as root. Well I never really run wine to be honest in general. I'll give that older client a try with wine and see how things go. Thanks for that link, hopefully it will get things working.

#53 VIICloudStrife

VIICloudStrife

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

You are a star, the installer you linked me too ran fine and updated itself all through wine.

Thank you very much

#54 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

You are a star, the installer you linked me too ran fine and updated itself all through wine.
Thank you very much

Great! You're welcome. :happy:

I'm currently writing an updated guide for playing RO on Linux, which should be finished within the next few days. I'm also planning to create a new installer that is compatible with Wine once I've learnt how to use the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System.

#55 VIICloudStrife

VIICloudStrife

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Great! You're welcome. :happy:

I'm currently writing an updated guide for playing RO on Linux, which should be finished within the next few days. I'm also planning to create a new installer that is compatible with Wine once I've learnt how to use the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System.

I'm a software engineer by occupation mainly C and C++ stuff so my scripting isn't the greatest though, your welcome to grab my assistance if you need it?

#56 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm a software engineer by occupation mainly C and C++ stuff so my scripting isn't the greatest though, your welcome to grab my assistance if you need it?

Thanks for that nice offer. I think I'll manage because I have programming experience in several different languages, but I'll let you know if I need some help.

#57 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Any luck so far on the new guide? Been a while and I am working on putting it back on my linux system as well O-o. Some of the things since I left amaze me. There are certain things linux users should really know how to do, like terminal commands. People should learn them before trying to install anything let alone a game which doesn't run natively. I'm currently having issues with the installer ending prematurely so I'll have to play around and see what is up with that. I FINALLY got the website to let me download the most up to date install instead of having to use one from like 2010-2011 >_>.

#58 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

[Double Post, Did a unity --reset and clicked post thinking I didn't hit it already. My bad.]

Edited by EpicGnome, 23 November 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#59 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Any luck so far on the new guide? Been a while and I am working on putting it back on my linux system as well O-o. Some of the things since I left amaze me. There are certain things linux users should really know how to do, like terminal commands. People should learn them before trying to install anything let alone a game which doesn't run natively. I'm currently having issues with the installer ending prematurely so I'll have to play around and see what is up with that. I FINALLY got the website to let me download the most up to date install instead of having to use one from like 2010-2011 >_>.

I've just posted the current draft of the guide for you. :) I'm keeping the guide simple because I rarely use Linux anymore and I don't have time to maintain another detailed guide in addition to my one for playing RO on OS X.

The latest version of the installer isn't compatible with Wine. See my previous few posts in this thread about this problem.

#60 Harvallen

Harvallen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

The cause of this problem is a bug in a recent update that added Steam integration; it's not specific to running the RO client under Wine.

All you need to do to fix it is run the file in the client folder named Patchup.exe. (The client folder should be located somewhere inside ~/.wine.)

Hello, Im new to Ubuntu/Linux but managed to install RO following your 'more recent' instructions. However, Im now stuck on this Steam issue. How exactly do I find this folder?

#61 OatmealStout

OatmealStout

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum, first post, I spent numerous hours trying to fix my lag issue on my asus chromebook using Ubuntu & wine to play this game... As soon as I put my settings to full screen the lag went away. No jumping cursor now, no laggy movement, a HUGE difference from this. Game went from unplayable to flawless. Just a heads up for anyone who is encountering this problem! Thanks to everyone's input on this thread as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users