More Keybinding Customization - Proposals & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

More Keybinding Customization

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we have more keybinding options?? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we have more keybinding options??

1. Yes, you are a genius, hallelujah! (8 votes [88.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. No, you are a baddie, please die. (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ramune

Ramune

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

Hello everyone!

I am sure some of you have seen me around Libra grinding all the way back when Dragon Saga was still operating under THQ! I've played other games during the downtime and now I am back.. and I realized, "Wow, I sure have a lot of unused skills!"

So, here is my proposal. I really, really want an extra skill bar so I can put my shiny new skills in. However, I realized there is an up and down page key so I thought of something else (the page up and down keys can't be binded to another key). Also, having 3 skills bars will be too obstructing...

So I thought... what if when we hold the Alt, Ctrl or Shift key, it will make our skill page go up or down (or make it so I can bind it to another key)? After letting go the key, the page will automatically reset to the previous skill page. So if I want to pot I can just press alt+1 instead.

I think having 2 skill bars just isn't sufficient after the 3rd job change. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Actually, you can bind the "Page Up/Page Down" keys to other keys, it just doesn't show up on your keyboard layout. There's no text or anything indicating you can, but trust me, I've tested this myself and now use it frequently, haha. Just click and hold over the "Page Up/Page Down" keys, drag to the unused key you want them on, and even though it doesn't SAY it's there, it is. :unsure: The only problem is, since you can't see where you've put it visually, if you want to move them, you either have to remember where you put them exactly or just reset all of your keyboard layout changes to the default and start over.

(Thanks, Rim ^^)

Edited by Ramune, 03 January 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#2 Thuy

Thuy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

Well I'm sure this has been talked about throughout all the versions. Best thing you can do for now is have your PvE/PvP skills on the bottom bar so you can switch between them. Skill such as barbarian and witch's curse can be on the bottom for PvP and when you switch to your PvE bar it can be replace with hp/mp pots. Just need to take sometime to figure out what's good for you. After my 4th job change I spent about 20 minutes rearranging all my hotkeys.

They should just give us full keyboard customization though where we can just skills onto the keyboard layout itself.

#3 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

I'm sad i can't hotkey my f1 and f2 buttons :unsure:

#4 Ramune

Ramune

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Well I'm sure this has been talked about throughout all the versions. Best thing you can do for now is have your PvE/PvP skills on the bottom bar so you can switch between them. Skill such as barbarian and witch's curse can be on the bottom for PvP and when you switch to your PvE bar it can be replace with hp/mp pots. Just need to take sometime to figure out what's good for you. After my 4th job change I spent about 20 minutes rearranging all my hotkeys.

They should just give us full keyboard customization though where we can just skills onto the keyboard layout itself.

I already removed barbarian and witches curse and such. I do have a pvp bar but it's just a pain because it's hard to fit all the heals and buffs. I'm trying to move away from just spamming X so I guess that's why I'm having a problem.

But yeah, I'm definitely wanting a full keyboard customization too. It's been discussed before but I haven't seen any threads about this on warp portal forums (and on the master suggestions list) so I posted.

#5 Taomang

Taomang

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • LocationInfinity and Beyond
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I think its a good idea. A lot of times i wanted to have a separate skill bar for buffs or items.

But maybe the solution to the lack of skill hotkey space is due to Macros?

#6 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

EDIT: Actually, you can bind the "Page Up/Page Down" keys to other keys, it just doesn't show up on your keyboard layout. There's no text or anything indicating you can, but trust me, I've tested this myself and now use it frequently, haha. Just click and hold over the "Page Up/Page Down" keys, drag to the unused key you want them on, and even though it doesn't SAY it's there, it is. :unsure: The only problem is, since you can't see where you've put it visually, if you want to move them, you either have to remember where you put them exactly or just reset all of your keyboard layout changes to the default and start over.

I love your idea. I can offer an imperfect alternative in the meantime, too. This is what I've done:

I remapped my "Page Down" key to my "V" key (so it's right next to "C," my "jump" key), and then went through and created 2 different configurations for my bottom row of hotkeys (the one you can swap w/ "Page Up/Page Down"). Then, I went through and put in the first configuration for row 1, the second for row 2, the first for row 3, the second for row 4, and so on... Now, all I have to do to use a whole extra bar of hotkeys is tap "V" once, knowing with certainty that w/e configuration I'm currently using, the other one will come up next. So I can essentially swap between them w/o paying attention to what's on the bar at all, simply by knowing which skill set I'm currently using and which skills are in the alternative set.

I've found this works best if you put all the "buff" skills or lesser-used skills together, and all the skills you use often together, so that you can swap between the two sets at any time. It took a day or two to get used to it, but now I love it and map out all my characters' hotkeys this way. Once you get the hang of it, it's just a step away from what you have suggested.

Oh, and for some additional hotkey room, try using "Shift," "Alt" and "Control." You can bind some of your "permanent" hotkeys (the ones on the top numerical 1-8 row) to these buttons, instead, making them more accessible/easier to reach.

Anyways, that's just a temp fix. Your solution would be ideal, of course.

Edited by Rimmy, 03 January 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#7 Ramune

Ramune

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

I think its a good idea. A lot of times i wanted to have a separate skill bar for buffs or items.

But maybe the solution to the lack of skill hotkey space is due to Macros?

Of course, they have to make money somehow! I think that some Macroing can be great, but personally, I think that Macros don't give enough feeling of control(at least for my class). And even if they decide put the "extra skill bar" in the cash shop, I would totally buy it.

I love your idea. I can offer an imperfect alternative in the meantime, too. This is what I've done:

I remapped my "Page Down" key to my "V" key (so it's right next to "C," my "jump" key), and then went through and created 2 different configurations for my bottom row of hotkeys (the one you can swap w/ "Page Up/Page Down"). Then, I went through and put in the first configuration for row 1, the second for row 2, the first for row 3, the second for row 4, and so on... Now, all I have to do to use a whole extra bar of hotkeys is tap "V" once, knowing with certainty that w/e configuration I'm currently using, the other one will come up next. So I can essentially swap between them w/o paying attention to what's on the bar at all, simply by knowing which skill set I'm currently using and which skills are in the alternative set.

I've found this works best if you put all the "buff" skills or lesser-used skills together, and all the skills you use often together, so that you can swap between the two sets at any time. It took a day or two to get used to it, but now I love it and map out all my characters' hotkeys this way. Once you get the hang of it, it's just a step away from what you have suggested.

Oh, and for some additional hotkey room, try using "Shift," "Alt" and "Control." You can bind some of your "permanent" hotkeys (the ones on the top numerical 1-8 row) to these buttons, instead, making them more accessible/easier to reach.

Anyways, that's just a temp fix. Your solution would be ideal, of course.

Oh, that is good to know! I think I will quote an excerpt of your post in the original post! Your solution is quite good in the meantime too but I'll definitely be waiting for more customization options.

..and thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users