[Archived] How to play Ragnarök Online on macOS - Ragnarok subforum archives - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[Archived] How to play Ragnarök Online on macOS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
544 replies to this topic

#1 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

I will be unable to update this post or reply to this thread after 2018-05-25.

guide.png

Gravity doesn't officially support playing Ragnarök Online on platforms other than Windows. If you require help with playing the game on macOS, then please ask for it in this thread.

Visit CodeWeavers to collect a 25% discount on CrossOver.

If you don't want to buy CrossOver, then try using Wine, a free alternative to CrossOver.

Update VModCinnamon:

CrossOver/Wine is no longer compatible with current RO client due to EAC. See the guide's author post here.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 08 March 2020 - 05:31 AM.

#2 Maison

Maison

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

it works fine cept patcher doesn't work, maybe something wrong... I have to skip the patcher via command line...

#3 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:28 AM

it works fine cept patcher doesn't work, maybe something wrong... I have to skip the patcher via command line...

Which version of CrossOver Games are you using? I currently recommend using version 8.1.4 of CrossOver Games because the latest version contains a bug that prevents the updater from working when launched using the "run command" function.

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#4 Maison

Maison

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

Which version of CrossOver Games are you using? I currently recommend using version 8.1.4 of CrossOver Games because the latest version contains a bug which prevents the updater from working when launched using the â??run commandâ?? function.

yeah, I specifically got that cus I read that, I had 7.1.1 and 9, they do the same thing...

#5 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

yeah, I specifically got that cus I read that, I had 7.1.1 and 9, they do the same thing...

What happens when you open the updater? Please explain in detail. :mellow:

Edited by richard, 12 February 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#6 Maison

Maison

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

What happens when you open the updater (please explain in detail)? :mellow:

it opens the icon in the dock, then closes after I duno, 5 seconds... nothing to be said really... did the same thing no matter the version...

#7 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

it opens the icon in the dock, then closes after I duno, 5 seconds... nothing to be said really... did the same thing no matter the version...

As the guide says, if the updater closes immediately after opening, then you've probably put the Windows library files (mfc42.dll and msvcp60.dll) in the wrong folder.

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#8 Maison

Maison

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

As the guide says, if the updater closes immediately after opening, you've probably put the Windows library files (mfc42.dll and msvcp60.dll) in the wrong location.

mate, if you think I would get 8.1.4, what makes you think I would skip the librarys process...
in any case, I did that and all the other things you ask in the guide...

its not a huge issue for me, it just means I have to move the folder to SMB, patch it, move it back to CXG

#9 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

mate, if you think I would get 8.1.4, what makes you think I would skip the librarys process...
in any case, I did that and all the other things you ask in the guide...

its not a huge issue for me, it just means I have to move the folder to SMB, patch it, move it back to CXG

I didn't say that you skipped it; I said that you might have put the files in the wrong folder. Anyone is capable of making a simple error like that. :mellow:

The reason I think you've made an error is because no one else is experiencing this problem. However, if you're sure that you've followed the instructions correctly, then you can run the updater with logging enabled to hopefully reveal the cause of the problem:

• Choose "programs", "run command" from the menu bar.
  • Choose the bottle containing your IRO installation in the new window which is opened.
  • Press "browse", then navigate to your client folder.
  • Choose the file corresponding to the type of server you wish to play on:
    • Premium (Ymir): Ragnarok.exe
    • Free (Valkyrie): RagnarokFree.exe
    • Testing (Sakray): sakray.exe
  • Expand the "debug options" section if it's not already expanded.
  • Tick (check) "create log file".
  • Press "run".
  • Save the log file anywhere.
  • Wait for the updater to open then close.
  • Upload the log file to a file sharing service such as Wikisend.
  • Include the address of the uploaded log file in a reply to this post.

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#10 Maison

Maison

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

newlog.cxlog

#11 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

newlog.cxlog

The log suggests that you're using the wrong versions of the library files. You need to use the versions referenced in the guide (follow the link in step 1).

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 03:32 AM.

#12 Maison

Maison

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

The log suggests that you're using the wrong versions of the library files. You need to use the versions referenced in the guide (follow the hyperlink in step 1).

well according to your guide, there isn't a specified version, so you might wanna fix that... I thought i'd use DLLs I actually owned.

#13 porcupine

porcupine

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

Hi Richard, glad to see this Mac thread up again. As usual, thanks for the guide and troubleshooting all the issues.

I run CrossOver Games 8.1.4 on Snow Leopard, and I noticed that while dual-clienting, one of my clients like to bug and function as if the ALT key were perma-pressed. This makes it impossible for me to chat or operate in Battle Mode because ALT + half the letters on the keyboard are hotkeys for different RO windows. I am also unable to target monsters because ALT + click is programmed to command mercenaries and homunculi.

I have to quit the bugged client completely and re-run RO for this issue to go away. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out what triggers this problem, and how long it takes for this problem to occur has varied and remained inconsistent (from a few seconds to up to half an hour of activity).

I was wondering if you or anyone else has encountered this problem? If so, how do you resolve it without restarting the client completely (since quitting and restarting every 15 minutes can be quite a hassle)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Which one of my open clients end up bugging appears to be random. And also, sometimes the bug switches clients, e.g. my active character could be experiencing the ALT issues first, but suddenly be all right, while my secondary character inherits the ALT issues.

Edited by porcupine, 01 September 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#14 porcupine

porcupine

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Has anyone been able to run RCX successfully?

#15 Br4nd0n

Br4nd0n

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

I have not been able to do this with wine on linux. Haven't tried it on a mac, but I'd imagin it's the same deal.
Posted Image

Edited by Br4nd0n, 01 September 2010 - 11:13 AM.

#16 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

Hi Richard, glad to see this Mac thread up again. As usual, thanks for the guide and troubleshooting all the issues.

I run CrossOver Games 8.1.4 on Snow Leopard, and I noticed that while dual-clienting, one of my clients like to bug and function as if the ALT key were perma-pressed. This makes it impossible for me to chat or operate in Battle Mode because ALT + half the letters on the keyboard are hotkeys for different RO windows. I am also unable to target monsters because ALT + click is programmed to command mercenaries and homunculi.

I have to quit the bugged client completely and re-run RO for this issue to go away. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out what triggers this problem, and how long it takes for this problem to occur has varied and remained inconsistent (from a few seconds to up to half an hour of activity).

I was wondering if you or anyone else has encountered this problem? If so, how do you resolve it without restarting the client completely (since quitting and restarting every 15 minutes can be quite a hassle)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Which one of my open clients end up bugging appears to be random. And also, sometimes the bug switches clients, e.g. my active character could be experiencing the ALT issues first, but suddenly be all right, while my secondary character inherits the ALT issues.

I haven't experienced this problem. :o

What kind of Mac are you using? Do you have an option (labelled "alt") key on both sides of your space bar? When this problem occurs, are you able to enter text normally in other applications? Have you tried repeatedly pressing your option keys when the problem occurs?

By the way, sorry for taking so long to reply; my subscription to this thread was somehow cancelled.

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#17 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

I've tried but failed. :(

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#18 porcupine

porcupine

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

I haven't experienced this problem. :rolleyes:

What kind of Mac are you using? Do you have an option (labelled â??altâ??) key on both sides of your space bar? When this problem occurs, are you able to enter text normally in other applications? Have you tried repeatedly pressing your option keys when the problem occurs?

By the way, sorry for taking so long to reply; my subscription to this thread was somehow cancelled.

Hi Richard, no problem. To answer your questions:
  • I run a MacBook Pro, first generation... from 2006.
  • Yes, I do have alt/option keys on my keyboard.
  • Yes, I am able to enter text normally in my other (Mac) applications. This seems to affect RO and I assume CrossOver Games apps only (I would have no way to check this since RO is the only program I run through it).
  • Yes, I have tried pressing my option keys a few times when the problem occurs. It didn't help.
It seems I'm the only one. :rice: Well... we'll see what happens. I'll keep you updated if anything changes.

I've tried but failed. :(

Me too. Bummer.

Edited by porcupine, 13 September 2010 - 01:10 AM.

#19 Mosu

Mosu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • LocationMinnesota/Virginia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

Actually, occasionally that happens to me.
Another thing that happens for me is sometimes the screen freezes (but the client is responsive based on evidence of a second client seeing my frozen client move cells).

#20 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

What do you do with this new installer which comes as a .msi instead of a .exe :angry:

#21 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:12 AM

What do you do with this new installer which comes as a .msi instead of a .exe :angry:

I've updated the guide with instructions for installing the Renewal client.

Edited by richard, 21 October 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#22 Mosu

Mosu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

When I try running the C4 Profile, it just leaves the window that asks if I want to Load or Do Not Load on the screen.

I've installed it I think, and I can run the setup program (the one with screen resolution), but I can't run any other files. It appears on my dock, and then fades out after about 3 seconds.

Edited by Mosu, 21 October 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#23 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

When I try running the C4 Profile, it just leaves the window that asks if I want to Load or Do Not Load on the screen.

You have to press "load". Perhaps I should clarify that in the guide.

Oh, and is there an easy way to Screenshot on a Mac? I do the Mac's screenshot command, but it does the entire screen. I would like to have it screenshot and go into the Gravity folder.

See the new section in my guide. :)

Edited by richard, 26 March 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#24 Mosu

Mosu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

You have to press â??loadâ??. Perhaps I should clarify that in the guide.

See the new section in my guide. :)

I'm not stupid >.> I hit load. The window stayed there. Is there any way that I can talk to you with more instant response?

#25 Cotano

Cotano

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

I'm not stupid >.> I hit load. The window stayed there. Is there any way that I can talk to you with more instant response?

We are having the same problem. Your not alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users