Get rich or die tryin' - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Get rich or die tryin'

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hullo all!

For a lot of people who played RO years back and is getting back into the game (like me) and for players who have just come to the game post-renewal I want to put together a guide for new players to be able to make a little money and contribute to the game's economy. As this would have the side benefit of removing the desire to purchase illegal RMT zeny among new players I would like to draw upon the expertise in the community.

- RO is a game that has a metric ton of stuff that drops from monsters, but which items are just trash drops and which items could be an unexpected source of income for low level players?

#2 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:28 AM

It would be server-dependant though. Because bots on Valk etc. make it not worth the time to hunt some low-level items sadly as they flood the market with them devaluing them (e.g. Blue Herbs 2k~ on Valk but 15-20k~ on Ymir), that makes it harder for low-levels to make zeny on the free servers and ironically thats where most the RMT zeny sellers have set up camp! On Ymir though I think these are a few I can remember that are viable to sell. I won't post prices because they are always changing. Ragial is the place to go to check prices.

Low-Level Monsters 1+ (Common Drops)
Items marked with a * are most popular (as of this post date).

Stem *
Poison Spore *
Blue Herb *
Strawberry *
Trunk
Cactus Needle
Iron Ore *
Orcish Voucher
Insect Feeler
Skel-Bone *
Bee Sting
Scorpion Tail
Rainbow Shell
Venom Canine
Pointed Scale

Low-Level Monsters (Rare Drops)

Unripe Apple
Any Cards

Mid-Level Monsters 30+ (Common Drops)

Bear's Footskin *
Heart of Mermaid
Immortal Heart
Cobweb
Maneater Blossom *
Fabric
Frill

Protips:

- ALWAYS check Ragial before selling an item you are unfamiliar with to an NPC incase it is worth something!
http://www.ragial.com
- Also keep an eye out for new events or quests in the game. As then certain items may become in demand. Such as the past Lunar Year event where Feather (from low-level Fabre, Lunatic, Picky etc.) were in high demand for awhile.
- Make one of your first characters a Merchant for Overcharge and Discount. As well as to Vend what you find. You can later make this into a Alchemist to create items to sell such as Bottle Grenades etc.
- Buying Stores that players setup often are looking to cash in on other players wanting a quick drop-and-sell so are often buying for half the price you'd get if Vending. If you have the time to Vend, you may get better profit. Unless Ragial says their Buy Store is asking to buy for 0%+ (green numbers).

Use http://db.irowiki.org/ to see what drops what with the highest chances and http://rode-r.doddlercon.com/monster/ for more monster info.

Edited by soudou, 19 April 2011 - 07:05 AM.

#3 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

http://forums.warppo...-in-the-market/

#4 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yeah Ceer's post is very good. Though it's a bit outdated now (last updated 09 August 2010) e.g. there's no more turnins to make stuff like Dokebi Horns as valuable. But still a lot of good info still viable that could be combined into an updated thread for Renewal + including more of the Renewal stuff/items/recipe ingredients etc.

Edited by soudou, 20 April 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#5 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

Just saying this to all new players Buying zeny is Bad in case you didn't know

#6 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

I actually make most of my money selling monster drops. Once you are high enough level to mob harpies in relative safety, take your character there and just pick up everything that drops. Going one map east is good too since there are goats and sleepers there and you may get a great nature or a blue herb too.

It's absolutely critical to have a merchant character if you want to make any sort of money in this game. Therefore, I suggest making a merchant as your very first character. Once you have a vender/OC slave, you can choose to level your main or simply turn it into an alchemist or blacksmith (alchemist may be best for first time players due to being easier and cheaper in the long run, but mechanics will make better item farmers for when you get to that point.)

once your character is strong enough, it's time to do item farming. Save up for some plasma cards and other %drop gear like the +7 christmas tree hat and mob harpies. A mechanic is perfect for this since they get ore discovery too, which has a chance of dropping useful ores that can be further sold. They also get Greed, which is very important for item gathering efficiency.

Once you're strong enough to survive, go to magma dungeon 2. Items are abundant there and they all NPC for a good amount.

It's always a good idea to hunt eluminum and oredecon too, since you can be guaranteed that those will sell, especially with the new safe rates on valkyrie.

#7 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

Yeah Ceer's post is very good. Though it's a bit outdated now (last updated 09 August 2010) e.g. there's no more turnins to make stuff like Dokebi Horns as valuable. But still a lot of good info still viable that could be combined into an updated thread for Renewal + including more of the Renewal stuff/items/recipe ingredients etc.

Eden group exp item turn ins for level 56-71:
Get 10 Fine Sand and 30 Grit from Sandman. (18000 base exp 8000 job exp)
Get 40 Huge Leaf. (16000 base exp 7000 job exp)
Get 40 Maneater Blossom from Flora. (17000 base exp 7000 job exp)
Get 30 Dokebi horn and 30 Trunk. (18000 base exp 8000 job exp)

Still a use for dokebi horns, just not many ppl know about it. They do give good exp for the level range.

#8 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

Admittedly I guess Dokebis was a bad example :) Theres still the other stuff on that post that are outdated like Sharp Leaf turnin.

Also people prefer the Maneater Blossom turnin in that set of quests I think because you only need to collect/buy 1 item not 2 and easily spammable. So Horns might be a slower sell. If you're there levelling anyway it doesn't hurt to stick the Horns up on a vend however. But as far as zeny is concerned collecting Maneaters is the way to go plus they're worth double Dokebi Horns (on Ymir). Thats also because Mantearers are used in some Alchemist stuff, quests and other things so theyre valued on a few different fronts.

Edited by soudou, 24 April 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#9 Trini

Trini

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

This was a little guide i developed for my self when i had just started and was clueless about items value:

1) Random item drops
2) Pick up item
3) Use this site http://irowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page (Top right hand corner you see "Search" use that and search the item name

4)(a) If it returns too many results, go to step 4(:wink:, else go to Step 5

4)(:wink: Search Item name in quotes like "Item name", then move to step 5

5) Based on the use, determine if its worth th wait to sell or if it wil just tae up space in your shop

6) (This part was added when fund out about ragial) Search Ragial http://www.ragial.com/

7) Again determine if its worth the wait

8)(a) If worth the wait of you have nothing better to put to vend then vend it with a merchant

8)(:wink: If not worth the wait leave in storage for later, someone will probably want it later.

8)© If not worth the wait AND you are broke AND it is worth more than 500z to an NPC, sell it to the NPC.

Updated for Renewal,

1) Farm Spores while leveling at lower levels
2) Do Eden Equip quests
3) Level as long as your zeny will afford (Using Meat)
4) Earn Money again on something that will give DEFINITE income, like something used for brewing, or SP Items or make a deal with someone and then fulfill you part of the deal so that they can pay you
5) Once you get 100K+ level as much as you zeny will afford again
6) Repeat step 5 until you can MvP and you will realize even the normal drops you get at higher levels are worth more than the normal ones you get at lower levels. Now you also have the option to MvP and do WoE to get some extra funds.

Edited by Trini, 27 May 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#10 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

This was a little guide i developed for my self when i had just started and was clueless about items value:

1) Random item drops
2) Pick up item
3) Use this site http://irowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page (Top right hand corner you see "Search" use that and search the item name

4)(a) If it returns too many results, go to step 4(:D, else go to Step 5

4)(:D Search Item name in quotes like "Item name", then move to step 5

5) Based on the use, determine if its worth th wait to sell or if it wil just tae up space in your shop

6) (This part was added when fund out about ragial) Search Ragial http://www.ragial.com/

7) Again determine if its worth the wait

8)(a) If worth the wait of you have nothing better to put to vend then vend it with a merchant

8)(:o If not worth the wait leave in storage for later, someone will probably want it later.

8)© If not worth the wait AND you are broke AND it is worth more than 500z to an NPC, sell it to the NPC.

iW search is just a waste of time now, and oftentimes doesn't mention commonplace uses of items that a new player might not know. Just ragial stuff, and then investigate if the ragial result doesn't make sense. Otherwise, good advice.

Regarding your make zeny - level til broke procedure - the exact threshold you use should be adjusted over time - 100k is alot early on, but not very much leveling later. You always want a leveling run to last a multiple of 30 minutes, so you can use kafra shop consumables without wasting any - most last 30 mins. I usually get bored after an hr or so, though, so you want to have at least 1 hr of leveling supplies - plus enough to start another loot gathering run. The most profitable (in terms of z/hr) loot gathering will often involve some level of potion use. It may be best, as economics allows, to keep a cushion of zeny, which you don't use for leveling supplies.

And as an example of how far 100k would go for leveling near end-game.
At 10x to late 11x, my genetics would burn 100k in ~4 minutes, post 11x, about ~2 minutes, and that's just pots to supplement the med life potion..... RK ran through 100k within like 6-8 minutes 12x - 13x, though before 12x he was using like 300-400k/hr cause he wasn't mobbing. Pre-99 leveling is considerably cheaper. Try to be ready by the time you hit 99 trans, for character operation to get much more expensive.

Edited by DrAzzy, 10 June 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#11 hardcor

hardcor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

this guide is nice to get a few starter 500k but... how do you guys get that money fot some +7 hunting spears and valkyrie armors?? I mean you dont get 300m picking up loot and selling on merchant right?... D:

#12 Fundude

Fundude

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

If I had a Merchant character, how would I send items and zeny to and from my main?

#13 Atha

Atha

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1254 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

If I had a Merchant character, how would I send items and zeny to and from my main?

You can transfer items between characters on the same account using kafra storage. Transferring zeny requires the use of a second account, either yours or someone you trust.

#14 Fundude

Fundude

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

The prices on Ragial.... is that for the stack, or for each unit?

#15 Atha

Atha

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1254 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

The prices on Ragial.... is that for the stack, or for each unit?

Prices on ragial are what people are trying to vend a single item at. That doesn't guarantee that people actually buy them at that price though.

#16 ichigank

ichigank

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Server:Ygg/Valk/Ymir

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

this guide is nice to get a few starter 500k but... how do you guys get that money fot some +7 hunting spears and valkyrie armors?? I mean you dont get 300m picking up loot and selling on merchant right?... D:

you do 3 of the following

1.) join a guild / make friends in game to MVP, farm items to vend (i.e. woe supplies)
2.) save up + farm woe supply items yourself (use minimal regen items for leveling - orange pots etc.) (maybe reduce fwing/bwing spending)
(i.e. leveling beneath your means)
3.) resell stuff in the market for small profits (they add up), use http://ragial.com/ for some current market server insight

farming for cards is more like gambling, i.e. mini boss farming (ghostring, deviling) or MVP farming

most of it is patience + timing, but you can hit the 1 billion zeny mark if you play your cards right.

#17 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

You can actually make a decent amount of money picking up stuff and selling it on a merchant character. Aside from drops that sell for a lot you can start a small bankroll by farming items people buy as supplies. RK rune materials, Genetic food materials, EDP materials, quest materials like the fish parts for the seal rolls. You're not going to make big money immediately. Once you get a decent amount in the bank you can play the market and buy low/sell high. Your best bet is to buy lucky box or event items that are limited time only, hold onto them then resell. If you're impatient you're best off trying to offer warp slave services to a guild that needs warpers for a small fee of about 5-10m to warp during woe hours. Additionally you could also offer warp slave services in Eden and warp people to the event maps (or close to the event maps), although that yields a lot less though.

Forging weapons or selling condensed white potions can also make you a decent amount of money. While it's harder to sell condensed slim whites as a non-ranked potter, it's still doable. That and Genetic food items.

Currently, Gravity also makes it pretty easy for you to make money by offering decent items that you can sell from turning in Eden Merit Badges. Reset stones still sell for a decent amount.

#18 Ghost007

Ghost007

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

I agree with learning what low lvl common drops are needed and farm them. get your eden gears, and continue hunting those items till you have a decent ammount saved. Then take a look at cheaper but useful gear, realize that some quests can get you items you can sell as well, the accessory box quest, overlook dungeon quest - its long but marc card prices went up and will get you at least 15m. I'd stay clear of specifally hunting a card that's worth less then lets say 50m, unless there are other decent drops on the map or decent experience.

Be wise with what characters you use to hunt with, some characters are alot cheaper and easier to hunt with then others. For mvping if you can and without consuming alot to kill, just find easy mvps with trade in for eden badge drops, don't bother trying to get a card from mvp unless your already good with gears and don't require much more common gear for yourself.

#19 IronFist

IronFist

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1547 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand, Beach

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

Its not so much about earning zeny, but more about spending it wisely

a Rudolf helm turns 15z carrots into 8k mastela fruits
a simple earth deleter card can save you Tons on Sp items

Before buying million zeny items, think about how much money its going to save you, how much it can earn you *weapons* and if infact you need it or its more of a luxury item.

High upgrades are not everything, sometimes its cheaper to increase your hit rate or hit speed rather then your damage.

Edited by IronFist, 26 February 2012 - 04:15 AM.

#20 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

One small way to make some easy zeny I found is to follow the Alchemists who are afk-leveling their Homunculi. For example, OD2 has a ton of loot just laying on the ground not being picked up. Items of interest that drop in there include Rough Elu and Rough Ori.

#21 Dammage

Dammage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Making money with a geneticist is very very easy, especially at higher levels, and all you gotta do is make SP/HP increase pots
  • There isen't very much competition and people will always buy them
  • Prices are very stable and dont drop much like Bottles/Acids
  • With good stats, you can turn an investment of 5m for the items into over 40m
  • Very simple to make a lot of them very fast, so there is not much investment in time
And here are some tips for making them
  • Get some +20 stat foods for LUK/INT/DEX it's a small price to pay when 2 or 3 special pharm casts can negate the costs
  • Gather as much materials as possible before creating to take advantgage of the full effect of the foods
  • Get every buff possible before starting, +10/+20 Foods, Eden buffs, Priest buffs and marrionet control, it pays off
  • Never sell underprice, these things will always sell within a few days of making them
  • The only thing you should farm is the Royal Jellies, but only if you have access to geffenia, just buy shop any other material
  • Put most of your stats into INT then LUK then DEX
Happy Potting ^^

#22 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Here's how I used to make money.

Go to sleepers - I like to use this map http://db.irowiki.or...fo/yuno_fild06/
one right and one north of juno (the map above nog)

Collect Great Natures.
Head to Umbala.

Do the umbala language quest
Then do this quest http://irowiki.org/w...Ore_Downgrading

Go back to the Shaman
Posted Image
Sell the green lives (overcharged on a merchant class) to an NPC.
you can make at LEAST 2mil an hour zeny very easilly. So if you just need zeny and have nothing to vend, this is a good method.

#23 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Here's how I used to make money.

Go to sleepers - I like to use this map http://db.irowiki.or...fo/yuno_fild06/
one right and one north of juno (the map above nog)

Collect Great Natures.
Head to Umbala.

Do the umbala language quest
Then do this quest http://irowiki.org/w...Ore_Downgrading

Go back to the Shaman
Posted Image
Sell the green lives (overcharged on a merchant class) to an NPC.
you can make at LEAST 2mil an hour zeny very easilly. So if you just need zeny and have nothing to vend, this is a good method.

Or just ask any sorcerer to use http://irowiki.org/w...Element_Analyze, and he/she can downgrade the ores for you without you needing to do the quest. But hell, the quest is not long.

#24 Amiow

Amiow

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

The more money you have, the faster it will grow. You can buy below average price item, then sell it at average price.

#25 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Another tip that I became aware of, after running two chars through Overlook over the past month. Overlook (VIP only, unfortunately) is a freakin' goldmine

Overlook water dungeon has monsters in it that are a bit beefier, and much more rewarding to kill than the normal monsters in Baylan Island (same spawns, just better versions of the monster). You can enter at lvl 30, and take the quests up to lvl 75 (though you can complete them when higher than 75). See http://irowiki.org/w..._Dungeon_Quests

I have so much zeny I don't know what to do with it all - but it did not escape my notice that I got over 10m in loot per run (counting the marc card at the end), and I didn't even pick up any of the common loots, nor was i rigorous about picking up uncommon drops (I did take the cards though). The drop rates in Overlook are higher than the normal versions of the monsters - and not by a small amount, either. I've gotten 2-3 cards out of every run, plus the Marc card you pick up at the end. And it's a great way to level as well - I finished overlook at 79-80, after entering at 30 (though I had good gear - entering at 30 might not be a good plan for everyone)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users