Feedback Wanted: NPCs that Jump out at you - Game Discussions (archived) - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Feedback Wanted: NPCs that Jump out at you

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ever been wandering through town or a dungeon and suddenly you are engaged in a conversation that you never wanted? And worse if you keep walking they kick you off the planet?

Well the system for that isn't going to change, BUT we can look at NPCs that are actually a problem and in main thoroughfares and correct their conversation starting rudeness.

What I would like is a list of which:
  • NPC name,
  • /where coordinates
  • What function/quest it is for. (if you know)
We will start making changes to appropriate ones so that they don't interfere with game play so directly. Instead they will likely do an obnoxious emote showing you that they want to talk to you..

#2 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Every single Continental Guard that you can find. They've always been a problem ever since they were implemented. Even if you've finished the quest to defeat Satan Morroc, he still gives you the same obnoxious message whenever you pass by him...as if you'd never done the quest in the first place.

#3 ABK1986

ABK1986

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Every single Continental Guard that you can find. They've always been a problem ever since they were implemented. Even if you've finished the quest to defeat Satan Morroc, he still gives you the same obnoxious message whenever you pass by him...as if you'd never done the quest in the first place.

This ^

-Last NPC in the Arch Bishop job quest. Doesn't appear until you reach it, getting chased by Frus, but if you run past it, you disconnect and must restart the quest :D
-Some jerk in Payon that tells you to get out of his sunlight.
-Jason (103, 63) related to Arrow Repel in Payon, should only talk to you if you are an archer class. Might not be correct, got it from the wiki, not about to seek out every single d/cing NPC right now.

Well the system for that isn't going to change, BUT we can look at NPCs that are actually a problem and in main thoroughfares and correct their conversation starting rudeness.

So what is the point of this topic if nothing is going to change? We're still going to get disconnected if you walk by them? You could just replace ALL of them with emotes, there is absolutely no reason for them whatsoever :D If you WANT to talk to them you should be able to seek them out and click on them like all the other NPCs.

You said once that it was for the bots, but bots log back in a matter of seconds and they don't care. So give us another other reason why they are necessary other than for pissing off the real players.

Edited by ABK1986, 17 May 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#4 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:08 AM

I almost always 100% of the time get disconnected during the rachael dungeon entrance quest, when you get the key outside the Bishops room. Sorry dont know the co-ords though. I know its not 100% what you meant, but yeah. aside from that those assassin looking buys dessed in black sheets in most towns, their popup (while not disconnecting) is annoying since they do it every time you get close.

#5 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

The portable box from Midgard Ore quest pops up in a weird way.

(the quest gives you a box, which opens a dialog when you walk close to portals on maps veins03,hugel05,all mjolnir maps).

Obviously you can't make an emote npc out of it, but you could at least place the triggers so that it would pop up the moment you come out of the portal.
Currently its after a screen of steps, even further away, or closer to portal than one would expect, so I dc everyday when I do the quest at least once xD

Also they could be taken out on any mjolnir map that doesnt have any mining place, and you get shown nothing lol
(only those need it: 01,02,04,09,10. don't know if all of the other mjolnir maps have them, but those Ive been on did, like 03 and 08, probably all then.)

Otherwise, yes please make all such NPCs do an emote instead of dc <_<

Edited by Charon, 18 May 2011 - 06:08 AM.

#6 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

The DC happens because of a game side check on location initiating and location of the continue dialog. if they don't match it is a potential exploit... or you were walking..

That system will not change. (as it effects all NPCs and some exploiters were using this to their advantage before the "lock" was put in.)

But we can make NPCs not jump into dialog so much so that normal game play isn't impacted as much.

#7 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

The DC happens because of a game side check on location initiating and location of the continue dialog. if they don't match it is a potential exploit... or you were walking..

It is nice you are trying fix the problems caused by the moving while talking bug. Just an idea: how about changing from comparing direct coordinates with comparing ranges? You could probably keep the exploit controlled, and have the npcs not disconnect people walking by. Something like changing from:

Posted Image

#8 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

I agree that a smarter solution of comparing distance and the vectors would be more ideal, it is also something that the development team would have to figure out, test, implement then later patc h to us.

I am looking for things we can update immediately to make game play better rather than solutions for another year.

#9 Wanderer

Wanderer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

That little girl near the final speed pot quest NPC in lighthalzen is annoying!

#10 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Continental Guards for sure fix those.

#11 Pril

Pril

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Continental Messenger
Prontera (164, 304)
Geffen (128, 90)
Payon (200, 113)
Alberta (128, 64)
Al De Baran (136, 138)
Initiates Continental Guard Quest

Moohyun
Payon (215, 102)
Taekwon Master Quest

Suspicious Guy
Lighthalzen (240, 216)
Lighthalzen (220, 169)
Lighthalzen (164, 127)
Pickpocket Quest

Little Girl
Lighthalzen (162, 126)
Maestro Job Change Quest

Begger
Lighthalzen (312, 233)
Pointless NPC just asks for zeny donation.

Pub Master
Inside Juno(yuno_in01): 35, 179
Initiates Kiel Hyre Quest.

#12 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Good list Pril.

Only one that didn't get updated is the pub master.

Arch Bishop also was updated.

#13 Xeeth

Xeeth

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

disconnected today just running next to that one npc at the end of 2nd part of ranger test on my baby hunter

lol was very frustrating since there was a neph plant doin like 1500s to my baby hunter with just 4kish max hp
and i finally made it back there after like 4 or 5 tries to disconnect

#14 Ryukke

Ryukke

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

i dont know the location and i forget the name of the npc but it is the only one that is in the nidhogger instance in the first map

#15 ABK1986

ABK1986

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

Just remembered: The guards in Lighthalzen (lhz_in01 124, 234) in the "Onward to the New World" Quest, stop you twice with the same dialog, when only once is even necessary.

Edited by ABK1986, 20 May 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#16 DieNasty

DieNasty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1395 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

NPCs with colorful hair always catch my attention. I'm sure a rainbow hair NPC will do the same.

#17 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

Please, also give a look in the Lighthalzen guards near the Biolabs entrance [Note: Bioethics skill quest has some annoying guards in the way]

#18 KataiKou

KataiKou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

I don't know if you got him, but I think the Taekwon Master NPC in Payon is still doing this. I get text box saying "Hey, you're blocking my sun" or something when I walk past him.

#19 razirazo

razirazo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:44 AM

not really npc, but it is location.
The skirt of virgin part on payon part of eyes of hellion quest.

#20 KuroDomj

KuroDomj

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:53 AM

But don't make it that if you are walking while talking to those NPC, you will be disconnected. My internet connection is bad and I had been DC many times due to that problem.

#21 Sackof

Sackof

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

In lighthalzen outside the hotel the little girl asking about teddy bears is dcing ppl again , also the shade guy in payon

#22 razirazo

razirazo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Bard near geffen spawn.
omg omg its really pissing me off keep makes me dc on my 1st step.

#23 Sackof

Sackof

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Bump the little girl in front of the lighthzlen hotel contiunes to force d/c -_-

#24 Gangstaz

Gangstaz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

The valkyrie NPC for the Arch Bishop job change quest

#25 pikachiquita5

pikachiquita5

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

Arch Bishop test in general seems to be terribly buggy.

I've done it twice....I'm wondering if you get DCed once, if somehow that just throws a wrench in the whole workings. Both times I've DCed on the Arch Bishop test on the last NPC, and both times---after I was DCed the first time---it would lead to a chain of many many DCs. My first time AB changing I was RAGING after 15+ times....the second time I was DCed 3 times. By the way, using the silly scrolls that the Valkyrie gives you seems to make no difference one way or the other, if that's ever asked.

I really do hope there is a way to make this test non-buggy.....I don't think any of the other 3rd class job tests are messed up like this one is.

@Heim: you say AB test was fixed? When was it? Just recently? My second time doing the AB test was sometime at the end of November, so I'm just curious if it had already been "fixed" when I last attempted it.

EDIT: I forgot to specifically describe my DCing experience. After I was DCed the first time at the last Valkyrie NPC, the DCs I would suffer subsequently would be at RANDOM TIMES during my attempts to redo the test...I could be running around the map randomly and I would DC. So I have no idea what was triggering the subsequent DCs I was experiencing, which is why I ask if it's *just* that last NPC that's the problem, or that the whole job change test is buggy in some manner.

Edited by pikachiquita5, 12 December 2011 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users