Does Auto Zoom bother you? - Proposals & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Does Auto Zoom bother you?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DestinyDeoxys

DestinyDeoxys

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 1588 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Well, for me it does bother me A LOT!!! Let's see what is so annoying.

In Union war, everyone is experienced enough with the side narrow path when you make a turn, your clicks are probably messed up and your character move back and forth due to the auto zoom of the distance from you view to your character. In general, this happens everywhere of course, the blocks, tree roots in prison, whatever objects that fluctuate the distance from your view to your character will make your screen zoom back and forth like crazy, sometimes it makes me feel dizzy ... #_@

Let me show you what I'm talking about with pictures.

First, I'm approaching this corner with the standard zoom distance.

Posted Image

Second, for some reason, I encounter this boat and it make me zoom close to my character.

Posted Image

Third, I walk passed this boat and the zoom resumed. I'm about to approach a corner.

Posted Image

Fourth, I approached this corner and start spinning my screen and for some reason the auto zoom kicks in again...

Posted Image

Fifth, I passed this corner successfully and the I get back my standard view distance.

Posted Image

Connect the pictures on your own, I don't know how to upload a video, so you see when you run around in ROSE online it's like playing roller coaster. When you look at shops in junon, those pillars, when you play UW the narrow path with bridges, when you farm in sikuku ruins, every where it's like that, it makes me sick sometimes. Sometimes the zoom can mess up your clicks in UW and you get caught up by enemy. -_- ;) :D

So what can we do about this annoying auto zoom feature?

#2 gEddeh

gEddeh

Boomshakalaka~!

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:gEddeh

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

Moving this to Proposals & Suggestions.

#3 Phish

Phish

Bourgeois & Champion Representative

• Members
  • 3564 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. New York
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Ahhhh, you were right!

But yes, it would be nice if the camera didn't zoom in front of objects.

#4 DestinyDeoxys

DestinyDeoxys

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 1588 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

so I think I have the ability of a prophet, foreseeing things and I was right, the last sentence "so what can we do about this annoying auto zoom feature?" I changed it on purpose, it was originally written as "So let's disable this auto zoom features." But you still have to migrate my thread to Proposal and Suggestion, which I don't want to. I just wanted to make a discussion and survey...since besides disabling auto zoom I think there might be better solution, I'm asking for other players to give in opinions first before I make this to a final Proposals and Suggestion. But hey, at least it didn't get migrate to player screenshot section!

Well I guess nevermind, keep it as it is. -_-

#5 Rukario

Rukario

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationJohnston City, IL

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

I really hate this function, not going to lie.

It constantly messed me up in Underground Prison.

#6 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:24 AM

think about it.

What is the alternative to having the camera move in front of an object?

In the example above he's moving under a boat or behind a wall or something like that.
Without this feature of the graphics engine you would just see the closest object and your toon would disappear entirely.

Would that be any easier to play with?

Only other way to fix it would be to have foreground objects become invisible if you move behind them and I can tell you that will get reeeeeeaaaaaaly weird in rose.
I've messed with it a bit to see what would happen.
You get to see the insides of all the scenery objects like the way you can look inside your toon if you get just the right camera angle in just the right place. -_-

#7 AlisiaMT

AlisiaMT

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1149 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

so I think I have the ability of a prophet, foreseeing things and I was right, the last sentence "so what can we do about this annoying auto zoom feature?" I changed it on purpose, it was originally written as "So let's disable this auto zoom features." But you still have to migrate my thread to Proposal and Suggestion, which I don't want to. I just wanted to make a discussion and survey...since besides disabling auto zoom I think there might be better solution, I'm asking for other players to give in opinions first before I make this to a final Proposals and Suggestion. But hey, at least it didn't get migrate to player screenshot section!

Well I guess nevermind, keep it as it is. :(

Funny story: As I was reading the first post I was wondering why it was in P&S and not in Community Chat.

On topic: I can't stress how many times I have died because of the auto zoom. I don't know how they would fix this with walls but with boats they should just have it keep over the boat.

Another Issue: Why is it that you can target the scenic trees and pillars. The most you can ever do it run into them, which serves no purpose. (since this is in P&S) I proposed they make it so you can only target the floor and other targetable things, such as people, and shops. (I've died countless times because of this too)

#8 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

I think you will find that you can't actually target trees and rocks and stuff.
The graphics engine simply ignores those things and actually targets the distant ground behind the tree, rock or whatever.

It's just an illusion

80's nostalgia much?

Edited by PurpleYouko, 31 May 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#9 Gojio

Gojio

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5553 posts
  • LocationPastaland
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

I totally agree...in UW it happens a lot, with all those objects, walls, I screw up while being chased by a red train.

#10 Aviv4

Aviv4

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Not that much...
Maybe I'm just "reguler to suffer it"?

#11 DestinyDeoxys

DestinyDeoxys

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 1588 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

My first video ever recorded !

#12 PeppermintDream

PeppermintDream

Purveyor of Positivity

• ROSE Moderators
  • 615 posts
  • LocationMy own little world

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

I thought it was just me! I don't know how long this feature has been in game, but it's relatively recent (few months?). I remember first being bothered by it when--omg that was a long time ago--when the new, as-yet unusable lisents were dropping on Orlo. There is a cactus in the Wreckage of the Blinding Mist map where baby aspers gank big time, and my stupid mage, who dies enough already without any help at all, kept dying because it'd auto-zoom and like "rebound" or something for a few seconds when I was standing there trying to AOE. Very frustrating! Thanks for bringing attention to this. Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought I was :dunno: ?
Also, I like the video!

#13 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

It always happened to me on old servers, I doubt it's recent :dunno:. Anyway, this is highly annoying, I agree! It happens to me the most in Junon when passing under an arch. It might not be the exact same problem though...

Right, AlisiaMT stated what I meant very clearly:

Another Issue: Why is it that you can target the scenic trees and pillars. The most you can ever do it run into them, which serves no purpose. (since this is in P&S) I proposed they make it so you can only target the floor and other targetable things, such as people, and shops. (I've died countless times because of this too)

Edited by Zayin, 28 June 2011 - 04:48 PM.

#14 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

The "auto zoom" is dependent on whether or not environmental objects have been set to have collision (which applies to both the player and it's attached camera). For all new map content we have put more attention to reducing the camera collision problems (Updating Desert City of Muris and it's many building canopies was an extreme case of object optimization). Unfortunately it would take a significant amount of time go through every existing map object and optimize their collision properties.

Edited by Genesis, 28 June 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#15 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Wouldn't there be a way to change how characters and their camera interact with any type of object to solve the issue instead of modifying each object? That might make no sense at all, I have no clue how it works haha.

Edited by Zayin, 28 June 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#16 paLDube

paLDube

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 696 posts
  • Locationheaven
  • Server:leonis

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

it bothers me a lot . .they should remove it. .

one more thing if you got auto zoom in front of the object. if you try to get away from the object it'll click in front of the object and go towards the object instead of going away to it . .

Edited by paLDube, 28 June 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#17 PeppermintDream

PeppermintDream

Purveyor of Positivity

• ROSE Moderators
  • 615 posts
  • LocationMy own little world

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

The "auto zoom" is dependent on whether or not environmental objects have been set to have collision (which applies to both the player and it's attached camera). For all new map content we have put more attention to reducing the camera collision problems (Updating Desert City of Muris and it's many building canopies was an extreme case of object optimization). Unfortunately it would take a significant amount of time go through every existing map object and optimize their collision properties.

Okay, thanks, this explains why I notice it so much more on Orlo than I have anywhere else in the last 5.5 years. Sorry to hear it would be so inconvenient to make the changes. It does annoy me, but I feel that it's a pretty minor thing and I'm willing to live with it.

#18 Niluje

Niluje

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Then can you set to "no collision" the tents in Junon Polis (like the ones below which you've put some NPC's in the war district...)?
And same thing for streetlights and for the pillars of the archs which have a blue bubble light (which are both also in the Akram Arena)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users