cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem help :( - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem help :(

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

sooo, i went through all the steps in the main string for this problem and am still not getting any options in the first two menus on the setup program. im still getting the same error (cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem) and i dont know what else to do. i am running Windows Vista home edition 32 bit. Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS graphics card (with up to date drivers), sound is fine and everything, i can run any other game but RO hates me. any ideas?

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

Can you please confirm that:

running dxdiag works and doesn't show any error warnings or anything?

That you have the latest version of graphics drivers installed?

Also, make sure you're running everything as admin, both RO and the setup program.

#3 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

I selected my display driver in the device manager and clicked update and it said i have the latest driver for it, i also went to the nvidia website and downloaded the latest driver and installed it, it didnt work but my device manager still says im up to date. i have directx 10 so its up to date too. this is the log from my display devices in the dxdiag program i ran:

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8300 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0423&SUBSYS_049410DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 881 MB
Dedicated Memory: 115 MB
Shared Memory: 766 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 8.17.0012.7061 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 4/7/2011 22:14:00, 10071656 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4763-11CF-FB68-98241FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0423
SubSys ID: 0x049410DE
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available

Edited by djbrag, 29 May 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#4 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

and theres no error messages or anything in the dxdiag program... umm im also running everything on administrator and still nothing in the two option bar things in the RO setup

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

I don't know what to say. RO is not seeing any compatible graphics modes... By all rights that setup should work.

Uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers and DirectX? Human sacrifice? Not sure what to recommend...

#6 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

hrm, idk if human sacrifice will do it, puppies on the other hand might do the trick... thank for looking into it anywayz, have a good one! -_-

#7 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

do you think my screen resolution or anything has anything to do with it? im going to re-download the installer also and try that

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

do you think my screen resolution or anything has anything to do with it? im going to re-download the installer also and try that

It shouldn't make a difference what screen res you're running, since RO lets you choose the resolution to run at in the second menu.

I think your issue is most likely that the drivers aren't in right - as I said, i'd try a complete uninstall of graphics drivers, then clean install of nvidia's latest drivers. I do not trust the "update driver" button in windows - windows is not very good at managing drivers for you.

#9 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

so i re installed directx, went to nvidia website and got the latest update (it was in fact out of date) and installed it, restarted then uninstalled RO, re-downloaded the client, then re-installed it, ran both setup and the updater as admin and still no options in the dropdown menus on the setup window -_- is there a technical support hotline or e-mail i can contact to maybe go more in depth with this issue? i think its awesome RO is free now and i would love to start playing again, it sucks it doesnt like my setup for whatever reason. ima go slaughter some baby seals in the meantime and see if the sacrifices help heh...

Edited by djbrag, 30 May 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#10 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

There's no hotline, just the ticket system. I'm not sure how useful they'll be.

I've never, in 7-8 years of playing RO, seen an issue where there was no option in the top two menus in setup that wasn't a graphics driver or directx problem.

#11 djbrag

djbrag

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

its wierd, i've gone over every aspect of my drivers, i'll try updating my new directx. i just wanna play some RO -_- i do have alot of like safeguards against adware and such so my comp is pretty tight as far as security goes, maybe my computer's not letting the program access my system specs or something, idk, i'll try messin around with my settings and such within a reasonable area... is there maybe a later version of RO i could download to see if that works? idk if you know code or anything, im going to college at an arts school ang theres a programming major, maybe i could see if one of them could find out why its not finding my drivers.

#12 EvDev

EvDev

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hi! I'm having the same problem, but with a different graphics card. My drivers are (I'm 100% certain) up-to-date, and I have the CORRECT DirectX installed. I've installed RO as administrator, run the patcher as administrator and patched up completely, and the setup program as administrator, and yet I have no options in those two drop-lists. I've also confirmed that my Gravity folder has no missing files, and that the necessary files are not corrupt.

Dxdiag reports that there are no problems, and that "DirectDraw Acceleration", "Direct3D Acceleration", and "AGP Texture Acceleration" are all enabled.

Here my basic system specs. I can come up with a complete report if requested:

HP ENVY 17 Laptop (Non-3D version)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 8GB 1600 DDR3
GPU: "Radeon HD 7690M XT" (Which is the re-branded and slightly better 6770M) + Switchable Intel HD Graphics

My ATI video card is showing up in hardware manager and seems fine. It also appears in several analytics softwares, such as CpuID and SIW.

The graphics card is NOT found in the Ragnarok Setup program, and thus I get the error "cannot init d3d or grf file has problem" message. While the typical steps have worked for many before us, we are the few weird cases, and I apologize! Hahah.

Something I noticed while going through this thread: I did the CCleaner thing, and noticed that CCleaner does not detect the correct graphics card etiher. It just shows the "Intel HD graphics family" card in CCleaner.

I'm curious as to how the Ragnarok "Setup" program finds the graphics card to display it in the drop-list, because now I'm thinking it might be looking in the registry or something and not finding it. I'm not hardcore smart about Windows Registry, but I've dabbled in it enough to understand that sometimes programs go there to find paths and/or settings. Would you happen to know where it pulls the graphics card name from for that drop-down list? It might give some insight as to why the usual solutions are not working for us. :,(

Thank all of you for your time!

#13 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

The setup program gets the list by asking DirectX for compatible rendering modes, I belive. It does not look in the registry. Note that RO uses DirectX 7, while most games use whatever version of DirectX they're up to now (i think 11 or 12 by now?)

I would start uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers, and DirectX. If there;s an official ATI driver, and a driver from the manufacturer of your card, try both (they are not always identical).

#14 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

When this error hits me, I have to reinstall my video driver to make RO work again.

Usually, when this error happens on me [at random], the setup program gets all blank, in the part of graphics. Do it happens to you too?

#15 EvDev

EvDev

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

1. @asayuu Yes! That's exactly what happens. The first two slots in the setup program become blank, with no options.

2. @DrAzzy You are correct. There is a driver from HP's website, and it is definitely different than that of the current driver on AMD's site, according to the driver versions in the hardware manager.
I just now uninstalled my driver, did a cleanup, tried to update directX (which said no update needed), and reinstalled the latest amd driver. There's a more recent version, but it's still in beta, and I've tried it before, without success. I see now that RO runs on Directx 7, and my current DirectX version is 11, but shouldn't DX11 support DX7?

3. This might spark an idea from someone: HP advertised this card as a Radeon HD 7690M XT, which was supposed to be essentially a Radeon HD 6770M, but clocked 100MHz faster, I believe. With the HP driver, it shows up as a Radeon HD 7690M XT in my device manager, but still doesn't show up in Ragnarok. With the AMD drivers, it shows up as an "AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series" in Device Manager, which matches what's in dxdiag. So AMD's driver still sees it as a 6700 series. Under "Chip Type" in dxdiag, it says "ATI display adapter (0x6740)", which makes me think that the computer thinks that it's an HD 6740? I'm not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly, but that would definitely mean that the driver could be for the wrong chip. However, it's clocking at the correct speeds for the HD6770.

4. In addition, dxdiag says "No problems found", and that All three of the DirectX features are enabled. ALTHOUGH, now I'm seeing that something called "D3D Overlay" is not supported. I googled into that, and I've read that for some other games such as Batman and SWTOR, some people with cards that did not support D3D overlay downloaded some DX9 library and it improved their framerates in most situations, but I think this is a different problem altogether. Also note that their card still reported that D3D9 Overlay was not supported, even after the DX9 libraries were installed.

Apologies if some of this isn't completely relevant, I'm just reporting what I'm finding out, to see if any of you have any ideas about what the problem could be. I wish HP's driver support was even slightly helpful, but when I talk to them I feel like I'm talking to 10-year-olds. This thread has been much more helpful, and I'm surprised that there is still support on a game as old as RO! I thank you all for your efforts and time. I'm going to uninstall these most recent AMD drivers, reboot, run my cleaners, reboot, and install the HP drivers, and report back.

Also, here's a screenshot to look at in the meantime. Maybe there's something obviously wrong and I'm just not seeing it. I see "DX Setup Parameters: Not found", I'll google that a little.

http://i.imgur.com/QvfCA.png <-- Gcard info and DxDiag stuff

Thanks you for your patience and promt replies!!

-Evdev

#16 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

1. Yeah, that's what happens for almost every permutation of driver issues.

3. the 0x6740 is probably nothing to worry about. That's a 2 byte value shown in hexidecimal, so it's probably just reporting the value the chip is giving it, and it's possible

Say - this is a laptop... with two graphics adapters, one much higher performance and more power hungry than the other. IIRC, in many cases, systems like that will choose to use one or the other graphics adapter based on battery status, temperature, and the software you're running.

Have you reinstalled the drivers for the intel graphics adapter?

Have you tried setting it to always use one adapter or the other? I would definitely try to do this - no clue how to do it, since it's probably going to involve something HP-specific.

#17 EvDev

EvDev

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

In regards to the switchable graphics card:

You are correct, by default this laptop would dynamically switch between the two, depending on whether or not it was plugged in. I've read in different forum posts that turning off the dynamic switching could solve the problem. I had the dynamic setting disabled since day one though, so any graphics card switch was manually toggled by me.. I've NEVER made it swap to the lower-end intel card until this issue. I swapped it over to the lower end card and rebooted, to see if maybe the setup program would pick up the lower card. Dxdiag noticed the change, but not RO.

As for the drivers for the intel graphics adapter, the HP website has both of the drivers bundled into one. When you run the driver setup, it updates both drivers, and both drivers have the same driver version. I'm guessing HP made the driver versions identical. When I uninstalled the HP drivers to try the AMD driver for my 7690M XT, windows updated the intel chip with a generic. When I went on intel's website to get a driver for the intel chip, the driver installer said that what was installed was more up-to-date. So I didn't install it. As I've mentioned earlier, I never use the intel chip, so I didn't think it was a big deal. But since both devices show up in hardware manager, I wonder if maybe the intel chip actually does something even while the 7690M is the "active" card.

Here are the only two things I haven't tried yet, as far as I know.

1. I'll try installing the intel graphics adapter's driver from intel's website, even though it says that it's not as current as the one from windows update, ALONG WITH the 7690's driver from AMD's site. That'll completely eliminate any windows-acquired drivers, because I already know those don't work.

2. After that, I'll try disabling the intel chip, and installing the 7690M's AMD-site driver ONLY, with no catalyst control center. If that doesn't work, I'll try disabling the 7690M, and using only the intel graphics adapter, with the driver from intel's website. I'll come back with results. I wish I could just disable one of them in BIOS, because I would have already...but that wasn't an option. I'll be right back, gonna try a few more things.

#18 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

i find when this happens to me if i restart my computer the issue is fixed...not sure why but it does the trick 100% of the time for me..

#19 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

i find when this happens to me if i restart my computer the issue is fixed...not sure why but it does the trick 100% of the time for me..

That sounds like a case of the drivers getting into a bad state while the system is running (I suspect if you investigated more deeply, you'd find that it was caused by a specific other 3d game (ie, game fails to clean up after itself), or you're on a laptop, and it's switching between integrated and discrete GPU, and confusing directx in the process.

#20 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

this is the only game i play...but i am on a laptop... it doesnt happen often...usually if i leave the computer on for a long time with the game not running then i try to open it i get the error... so i just reset and its all good...

#21 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

this is the only game i play...but i am on a laptop... it doesnt happen often...usually if i leave the computer on for a long time with the game not running then i try to open it i get the error... so i just reset and its all good...

Sounds like option 2, then. Try starting computer, unplugging power supply, waiting a few minutes, then plugging it back in, and see if RO fails to start ;-)

#22 EvDev

EvDev

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Update from me! I have NO EARTHLY IDEA what my problem was, but I did a fresh install of windows 7, and just installed Ragnarok before I installed anything else (even updates), and the options show up. The driver versions right now are ones that I had tried before, but they didn't work.

So I guess it wasn't a driver problem at all. I'm going to be installing my programs one by one and seeing which one breaks Ragnarok, and report back if I find out what caused it.

Thank you DrAzzy again for your insight on this matter, and thanks to all who looked into this for me! I guess to the OP I would maybe recommend re-installing windows and then re-installing Ragnarok immediately after, and if that doesn't work, Windows -> graphics drivers -> Ragnarok. It's a long process, but it got rid of whatever the random-ass problem was.

Edit: Here's a picture of my success. http://i.imgur.com/ILWdq.jpg

Edited by EvDev, 16 June 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#23 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, let me know what it was that did it, if you are able to find out. And I salute your persistence, in reinstalling windows just to get RO to work!

#24 EvDev

EvDev

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

Yeah, I was really excited when I heard that RO was free to play, because I played in 04 I believe. Still installing programs, I'll let you know if and when something breaks my RO.

#25 LeafBug

LeafBug

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I don't know if this thread is like dead or whatnot, but I too have this problem. ... When I run the application as admin/non-admin the result is the same. The Setup shows the screen resolutions, but the next time I open it, it does not. Plus, when I try to run the game I get this error: "cannot init d3d OR grf file has a problem." OH and yes not to mention I am using Windows 8.

I've checked my drivers and such, nothing appears to be out of date. Hopefully there is a way to play without windows 8 being a complete problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users