Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

I was trying to figure out how we, as a community, could help new players. A lot of the high level players are bored atm and looking for things to do. Also, a lot of us like to help new players. Also, we need new players to love the game and stay and attract more new players in order to sustain the game. With the revamps proposed for AP, Zant, lower level quests, etc I was thinking there should be a way for us to also help.

What if you put together a list that new players could access for in game help. Established community players could sign up if they are willing to help mentor new players. Someone, GMs or whoever, could go through the sign up list to be sure the people that want to mentor will be good for the role (try to weed out scammers, hackers, or mean players), or you could just take all that want to sign up. Players could post their level, character expertise and times they typically play. Then new players could pick one or two people from the list and ask questions or ask for help. There would have to be a part where, as a mentor, you can stop helping the new player if they are just begging for zulie and gear or are constantly asking for things. But in general, when I have helped new players they are usually pretty good and don't beg. You could add a mentor page to the freinds list, messege thing.

I don't know if there needs to be a reward for the mentors. I think a lot would do it for nothing. But you could add a reputation system or after you have like 10 positive comments from the new players you mentored you would get something - zulie, an item, or whatever. Then tier it up like another for 25, 50, 100 and so on.

#2 bluehell

bluehell

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1603 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

I was trying to figure out how we, as a community, could help new players. A lot of the high level players are bored atm and looking for things to do. Also, a lot of us like to help new players. Also, we need new players to love the game and stay and attract more new players in order to sustain the game. With the revamps proposed for AP, Zant, lower level quests, etc I was thinking there should be a way for us to also help.

What if you put together a list that new players could access for in game help. Established community players could sign up if they are willing to help mentor new players. Someone, GMs or whoever, could go through the sign up list to be sure the people that want to mentor will be good for the role (try to weed out scammers, hackers, or mean players), or you could just take all that want to sign up. Players could post their level, character expertise and times they typically play. Then new players could pick one or two people from the list and ask questions or ask for help. There would have to be a part where, as a mentor, you can stop helping the new player if they are just begging for zulie and gear or are constantly asking for things. But in general, when I have helped new players they are usually pretty good and don't beg. You could add a mentor page to the freinds list, messege thing.

I don't know if there needs to be a reward for the mentors. I think a lot would do it for nothing. But you could add a reputation system or after you have like 10 positive comments from the new players you mentored you would get something - zulie, an item, or whatever. Then tier it up like another for 25, 50, 100 and so on.

I get very bored of the game and occasionally pick a student to teach the game to and make that student the most successful play he or she can be. So far only 1 of my students has exceeded me. I think I taught him to much and he somehow surpassed me with like double my cash... I dont know really how he did it, maybe he actually farms with his champ rather than just walking around and talking lol. I would support this, but I dont think there should be a reward. Its something you should do out of the niceness of your heart.

#3 FeedisArti

FeedisArti

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationLeeuwarden

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

I think it's a great idea! And I love how you always keep coming up with new things, it's really awesome. But I think rose should focus on new content eg. raids and bosses together with new items.
We all know they won't do that last thing anyway, so yeah, they might pick up on this (also, seriously) great idea so they won't have to add actual ingame content -_-

#4 gEddeh

gEddeh

Boomshakalaka~!

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:gEddeh

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

I get very bored of the game and occasionally pick a student to teach the game to and make that student the most successful play he or she can be. So far only 1 of my students has exceeded me. I think I taught him to much and he somehow surpassed me with like double my cash... I dont know really how he did it, maybe he actually farms with his champ rather than just walking around and talking lol. I would support this, but I dont think there should be a reward. Its something you should do out of the niceness of your heart.

Not much to it to surpassing you.

-_-

About the idea: I don't know what to think of it. I played this 'samurai' MMORPG once in which you could become a student of a more experienced player and that's the reason why I quit playing. Also ROSE Online isn't that hard. It would be better in my opinion to have a system ingame which you can use to make some sort of Ticket with a certain question about the game. Then this question can be answered by the same group of people you just mentioned.

Edited by gEddeh, 13 June 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#5 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:32 AM

-_-

About the idea: I don't know what to think of it. I played this 'samurai' MMORPG once in which you could become a student of a more experienced player and that's the reason why I quit playing. Also ROSE Online isn't that hard. It would be better in my opinion to have a system ingame which you can use to make some sort of Ticket with a certain question about the game. Then this question can be answered by the same group of people you just mentioned.

I played that too.
It was a pain in the butt.

It's a great idea to mentor newbies sometimes but for me personally I'm not able to be online enough to really follow through with it for any significant amount of time.

#6 Bendersmom

Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have helped a lot of noobs over the years. Some still play. It's the simple things..good builds, party with others and you will get more exp, etc. that they need help with. Those small things make the game easier to play and more enjoyable. No rose is not that hard to play or learn but without a huge group of new players it is tough on the new ones now. Hard to find a good low level party and make friends when the towns are pretty abandoned. Iknow Gravity wants to bring in new players, and we have to have new players to help keep the game going. I am trying to think of ways to get new people to enjoy the game and stay. What we really have to do is get the new players hooked on the game like a lot of the long time players and I am trying to think of the things that got me to stay with the game 6+ years.

#7 bluehell

bluehell

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1603 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

-_-

Anyone know Noblade/Noblame? I mentored him back a long time ago.
-----
Im bored of rose lately, i havent been online in a week, a signup list to mentor people would give me something to do.

#8 Bendersmom

Bendersmom

Cleric Representative

• Members
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

Anyone know Noblade/Noblame? I mentored him back a long time ago.
-----
Im bored of rose lately, i havent been online in a week, a signup list to mentor people would give me something to do.

I have seen noblame/noblade. I have mentored a lot of people that still play. It's fun usually. Every so often I get someone that is tooo needy and I hate begging but usually it works out ok.

Yes, I rarely get on now. I can't believe that after 6+ years I finally have become bored with Rose. But it is also summer with lots to do. I am sure that when something new comes out we will all start playing more but until then I keep trying to think of things to keep us interested.

#9 bluehell

bluehell

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1603 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:37 AM

yah, I would like to see some sort of event.

#10 HellGuardian

HellGuardian

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

I have seen noblame/noblade. I have mentored a lot of people that still play. It's fun usually. Every so often I get someone that is tooo needy and I hate begging but usually it works out ok.

Yes, I rarely get on now. I can't believe that after 6+ years I finally have become bored with Rose. But it is also summer with lots to do. I am sure that when something new comes out we will all start playing more but until then I keep trying to think of things to keep us interested.

Stop hanging out with the same group of person everytime you login :blink: hang out with strangers and do something else other then the routine of UW and TG.

I am having fun harassing new Clannies and helping them whatever they need. Kidnap bystander to chat "Embalmer is pimping out* :thumb: just for example.

Try to get noob items for others since there is almost impossible to find anything in Junon other then lvl 200 items.

Go chase a noob and buff them and spam heal them till they are thinking you are nuts :D

Anyway ... Just saying mom :D

PS: I did and still doing all of the above LOL.

#11 Farq

Farq

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

For serious mentors, we could have a regularly scheduled time and place where we teach basic ROSE lessons to newbies. How to farm, how to lure, good builds for that player's playing style (farmer, PvPer, soloist, others), other party strategies (shooting gallery, merry go round, fire support), and howto use the many features of ROSE.

I hope I don't sound as if I'm bragging. I've helped new players figure out which class they want to play, gave away low level items, pointed which items sell for the most at PC shops (Ooh! pick up that chemical, that's like money on the floor), lured for no XP, and even showed someone how to join UW (I've created a monster!). It does feel good.

And we can also just be nice to new players.

"The best part of being ignorant is that you don't have to stay that way."
From some role-playing game.

#12 Lucis

Lucis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationLit Lamp Wick

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

--We could also just make a set of well - crafted lessons here in the forums and direct the new players here.

#13 Calanor

Calanor

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 2474 posts
  • LocationBetween 2 Rainbows

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

I know that the plans here to revamp the Community UI could use a cool feature that people can volunteer to help new players and allow new players to see who is online and able to help them.

I like this!

#14 HellGuardian

HellGuardian

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

I know that the plans here to revamp the Community UI could use a cool feature that people can volunteer to help new players and allow new players to see who is online and able to help them.

I like this!

Seriously !!! I think this is my first time to see admin post here. Go respond to the others thread Cal.

#15 AlisiaMT

AlisiaMT

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1149 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

I'd be happy to be a mentor if they did this. I think its a wonderful idea to have an up to date list of people who are willing to take time out to help new players. This community really needs to be more tight knit than it is, imo, and this would be a wonderful to do so and also encourage new members to stay.

If i'm accurate you are talking about it being in a Friends list tab of some sort and people can choose their mentor. If I may expand on your idea, I think if they were to do this it would be nice for the game to lead them up to their first job and once they achieve that they are given the opportunity to pick a mentor. The mentors available to them will be a continuation of their chosen job, and once the new player has chosen their mentor the mentor is to stick with them till they turn lvl 100 (or after a certain amount of inactivity between either one, say a week?), where then the mentor status will recycle for another new player to choose. A mentor can only have one student and visa versa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users