"Failed to connect to file server" - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

"Failed to connect to file server"

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have not played Ragnarok since 5 years ago, and i'm on a new computer (Not brand new, but it has never had Ragnarok on it before) so I download the game and install it, ran Ragnarok.exe (In admin mode) and i get the error "Failed to connect to file server".

Can anyone please help me?

I'm on Windows Vista 32 bit and I have also updated all of my drivers (Video, sound, and Windows drivers), made sure the patch_allow.txt file says only "allow" but I still get the error. Does anyone know how to fix this ridiculous issue?

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Does it correctly download some files before choking, or no?

If it doesn't download anything:
Open Internet Explorer (has to be IE, not other browser, as the patcher hooks into IE) and verify that you can get to ftp://ropatch2.gravityus.com

If you can't, confirm that it does work using another browser.

If other browsers can connect to it, but IE can't, fix the settings on IE. If nothing can connect to it, check if you have any firewalls that might be blocking the patcher.

#3 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Does it correctly download some files before choking, or no?

If it doesn't download anything:
Open Internet Explorer (has to be IE, not other browser, as the patcher hooks into IE) and verify that you can get to ftp://ropatch2.gravityus.com

If you can't, confirm that it does work using another browser.

If other browsers can connect to it, but IE can't, fix the settings on IE. If nothing can connect to it, check if you have any firewalls that might be blocking the patcher.

I manage to see it say "patch_allow.txt 5/5" with the patching bars full JUST before I get the error.
I have tried to enter ftp://ropatch2.gravityus.com with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 9 and none of the 3 allow me to visit the URL.

#4 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

I've also turned off my firewall in an attempt to let Google Chrome and IE 9 access ftp://ropatch2.gravityus.com
No luck, Both browsers still say that my computer is under firewall.
I use Norton 360 by the way.

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

I've also turned off my firewall in an attempt to let Google Chrome and IE 9 access ftp://ropatch2.gravityus.com
No luck, Both browsers still say that my computer is under firewall.
I use Norton 360 by the way.

Allow.txt (as well as patch2.txt) are retrived via http, not ftp - they're not actual patches. Allow.txt tells whether the server is down for maint, and patch2.txt is the list of patches to apply.

Something on your computer is blocking you from connecting to the patch server. Quite possibly you could be blocked from accessing anything via FTP. You need to figure out why you can't connect via FTP and fix it.

#6 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

Allow.txt (as well as patch2.txt) are retrived via http, not ftp - they're not actual patches. Allow.txt tells whether the server is down for maint, and patch2.txt is the list of patches to apply.

Something on your computer is blocking you from connecting to the patch server. Quite possibly you could be blocked from accessing anything via FTP. You need to figure out why you can't connect via FTP and fix it.

Could it be Windows Defender? I have it turned off though. Or is it because i'm using the infamous Windows Vista? (Despite the fact that I just recently updated everything).

#7 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

I've gone once again over IE 9 Internet Options/Settings and ticked the Use a Proxy Server button, and entered 128.241.92.179 (FTP) with Port 21
I've also ticked the "Use passive FTP" box under the "Advanced" tab.
I've allowed Ragnarok.exe AND Internet Explorer in Norton 360's Smart Firewall.
Still won't let me connect.

Would manual patching work? Or will it still be blocked?

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

I don't know what could be causing the problem at this point.

You say "Both browsers say the computer is under firewall" - can you explain that error? I've never heard of that error before. Can you copy/paste it in here?

Why are you configuring a proxy server? Do you normally need to use a proxy server to connect to the internet?

People have been reporting problems with manual patching lately, with it refusing to use manually downloaded files if it can't connect to the ftp server. But if you can't connect to the ftp server, how will you manually patch?

#9 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Here's the error message from Google Chrome

Unable to access the network
Google Chrome is having trouble accessing the network.

This may be because your firewall or antivirus software wrongly thinks Google Chrome is an intruder on your computer and is blocking it from connecting to the Internet.
Here are some suggestions:
Try adding Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
Error 138 (net::ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED): Unable to access the network.

Here's the error message from Internet Explorer 9

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
â?¢Internet connectivity has been lost.
â?¢The website is temporarily unavailable.
â?¢The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
â?¢The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
â?¢There might be a typing error in the address.
â?¢If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds:
1.Click the Favorites button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages):
1.Press Alt, click File, and then click Work Offline.
2.Click the Favorites button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Here's the error message from Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Beta 2

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ropatch2.gravityus.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

#10 Enorm

Enorm

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

Its not working, no one can connect, even Ragial has last updates about 3 hours ago.So....no comment but of course its our fault as always.

#11 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Its not working, no one can connect, even Ragial has last updates about 3 hours ago.So....no comment but of course its our fault as always.

what do you mean by that? That Ragnarok servers are down? Impossible, I have 3 IRL friends that we're able to connect to ftp://ropatch2.gravityus.com/ and we're able to see the stuff on it. This thread is not about what happened after the maintenance, it can't be because this the 1st time I'm playing Ragnarok on this house, on this internet connection, on this computer, on this country. I would just like to know how IF POSSIBLE to connect/allow FTP connections. Is there a program that is going to let me connect to FTP sites safely and allows me to access that site via Ragnarok Patcher so that the game can patch and let me play? Is there such a program? Also, if there is a way without using a program on how to fix my FTP issue I would like to know. Norton 360 does not show FTP sites or Ports 20 and 21 under its Connection Rules, sites or Applications managed by SmartFirewall, so what is blocking me from connecting? I would like to see someone else other than DrAzzy who has been helping me from the start of this thread actually HELP me fix this rather annoying issue. I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this, so on behalf of everyone experiencing technical mindf**k due to Norton 360/Windows Vista/Router.

P.S. My router is a Belkin54g. Is there any way I can access its options from my computer? Of course in english, not in some C++ or coding for I do not have a degree in Computer Science...

#12 Enorm

Enorm

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

The Point is, im running my machine ( 3 machines , 24/7 365 Days without stopping it.) I never had problems to connect to the server.8 Hours ago i was playing and now when i woke up trying to start the Game, it isn´t working.
Thats all i can say for me.Its not possible that something on my machine changed you know ? either the Firewall/wich iam never using or something else, so my machine isnt touch and nothing changes.
I have no Idea why it isn´t working.

#13 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

server maintenance? also if you're machines automatically update and install these updates, one of the updates may have interfered with the game server.

I have also found another cause of my problem. My router itself. Belkin54g its settings may have FTP ports and connections blocked?? I am not sure yet and I'm unable to access these settings until Friday NZST since my Dad has placed a password on the router -__-

#14 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Sigh - Isn't it lovely? Every time there's a maint, people go around posting that the servers are down as if something's wrong. Are people unable to read maint announcements?

It's possible that your router has blocked FTP (or has blocked everything other than commonly used ports). Check the documentation for the router online, and see if that's possible.

Can you go around the router? As in, connect computer directly to the modem? If you can do that, try it - if that fixes the problem, then you know it's the router settings blocking it.

Assuming it is the router blocking it (and your dad would deserve a slap upside the head for blocking FTP, it's a wonder you all havn't encountered this sooner, because it's used by craploads of stuff)

One approach - which I do not condone - assuming you're ready to take flak from dad if he finds out, and your network doesn't have anything special going on (nobody running any servers or bittorrent clients, and just a normal broadband modem - gotta make sure you don't need to do anything to get it working again), hold the tiny reset button on the back for 5 seconds (usually it's one of the ones you need to use a paperclip to poke), which will reset it to default settings. The password will be reset to default (which you know, because you read the documentation).

This is plausibly deniable, too - because what do you do if the internet isn't working? You reset the router! My BSing approach would be something like...
Say nothing if he doesn't ask. If he does, say the internet wasn't working, so you reset the modem and that fixed it. If he presses further, well, all you did was press the reset button. If he asks if you held it down - you don't remember...

Anyway, that's not a good approach, you should wait until you can get the password from him.

#15 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

You sir are a genius :o
Also my computer is so damn old (Yet it manages to run games like WoW and Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 smoothly) that the only for it to connect to the internet via the router is physically, so no wireless, meaning it (Computer) is already directly connected to the modem if that is what you mean.

#16 Lolcak3z

Lolcak3z

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Or do you mean connect to the modem without going through the router? I don't think so but my Dad will just take one look at it and go.. "meh.. can't be bothered" -__-

If I reset my router (My Internet provider also provides my home telephone) would it affect my home telephone? It shouldn't shouldn't it? Because resetting the router involves it turning off/going offline which is pretty much turning the main switch for the router off am I right? So if i press the tiny button saying Reset all it would do is bring the router back to factory settings? Would I need to do some configuration to allow my computer to access standard internet sites after I reset the router? HTTP etc etc.

#17 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:45 AM

Or do you mean connect to the modem without going through the router? I don't think so but my Dad will just take one look at it and go.. "meh.. can't be bothered" -__-

This was what I was suggesting. depending on the physical setup, this might be trivial - if your computer is connected directly to the router (ie, no switches/hubs in between it and the router) and the router is right next to the modem, it's just a matter of moving one cable. Of course, it becomes more complicated if the router and modem aren't near eachother, or if you've got a complicated network layout with switches and hubs everywhere.

If I reset my router (My Internet provider also provides my home telephone) would it affect my home telephone? It shouldn't shouldn't it? Because resetting the router involves it turning off/going offline which is pretty much turning the main switch for the router off am I right? So if i press the tiny button saying Reset all it would do is bring the router back to factory settings? Would I need to do some configuration to allow my computer to access standard internet sites after I reset the router? HTTP etc etc.

It should function for basic routing out of the box - but review the documentation for your router, it should be available online. Generally, home routers default to working with everything not requiring incoming connections, with optional settings to block/disable things.

Edited by DrAzzy, 24 June 2011 - 06:46 AM.

#18 Akmal91

Akmal91

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:56 AM

Hey...Need help here..How come when the patch client always stuck when downloading the patch and "stuck"...Ive been trying log in for 5 hours and the patch always stuck... This is so lame.. Is there a bug or something making the patch unworking...I really wanted to play ragnarok online... Anyone got any answer for this problem? Tips? Or guide? This patch client make my head headache thinking why the start button cant be clicked but the website and exit button can be click...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users