#1 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

Since I haven't seen any topics about this I figured I would start one.

"Oda: We're currently localizing the quests and content from the Indonesian themed town as well as prepping today's update content.Now that bRO and idRO have received their maps, what kind of things would you like to see in a iRO/USA themed expansion town? Please say cowboy town/gunslinger expansion."
-Posted tuesday on their Facebook

Please only discuss the topic at hand, don't go turning this into a Flame War.

So what would you guys like to see?

Edited by NoxiousOrchid, 02 September 2011 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Daray

Daray

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:47 AM

In my mind:
It needs a long, big, sandy street with hay on the side and horse Peco drinking areas.
Wooden houses.
A Saloon is the 'inn'
A Funeral home across from the Saloon, owned by a tall white guy wearing black clothes and a tophat.
A Sherif's office
A Gunslinger house
A ranch with Pecos.

Gunslinger expansion, possible a quest involving a shoot-out on the main street or helping the Sherif put some scoundrels in their place.

edit: removed horse

Edited by Daray, 02 September 2011 - 12:48 AM.

#3 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

Speaking of which... I've had this for a long time and forgot where I got it from:

Posted Image

Also tumbleweed! ...and Aliens? Wait no. What kinda monsters would a cowboy town have around it? I'm guessing Rattlesnakes as one.

#4 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

Jackalopes
Posted Image

Edited by NoxiousOrchid, 02 September 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#5 Haemosu

Haemosu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:12 AM

What kinda monsters would a cowboy town have around it?

Snakes, coyotes, wolves, eagles, cougars, bobcats, armadillos, vultures, tumbleweed monsters, cactus monsters, killer horses, killer buffalo, killer cattle, maybe some undead cowboys....

I probably should stop naming things from Red Dead Redemption :thumb:

Edited by Haemosu, 02 September 2011 - 04:18 AM.

#6 cRoc

cRoc

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

chupacabras =DDD

#7 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

Some sort of cowboy town does fit into the global American stereotype...

#8 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:13 AM

Some sort of cowboy town does fit into the global American stereotype...

What about a town full of fast food restaurants? That's the first thing foreigners go for when they try to insult us, especially people from Europe.

"I have crooked teeth, but Americans are fat and love McDonald's!"

#9 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

Old West style mixed with a little Area 51. =p

Also, I'd rather seen an Australian/New Zealand town.

Edited by Scott, 02 September 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#10 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:02 AM

There were some great suggestions in the Facebook thread. I like the idea of making the gunslinger a cavalry class, riding a steam cycle or something appropriately RO. Perhaps to differentiate the class from just being "a hunter with a gun instead of a bow", give the class some melee ability (gunswords) and ditch the matrix trench coats.

#11 Beyond

Beyond

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationThe Cloud
  • Server:Loki -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:31 AM

There were some great suggestions in the Facebook thread. I like the idea of making the gunslinger a cavalry class, riding a steam cycle or something appropriately RO. Perhaps to differentiate the class from just being "a hunter with a gun instead of a bow", give the class some melee ability (gunswords) and ditch the matrix trench coats.

Definitely not a bad idea. Would be nice to see something like that implemented into the second expansion.

I like the coat though :thumb:

#12 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Lighthalzen isn't really that american though, at least I think that the area (Schwartzwalt alone = the german Schwarzwald) has a little german flair, or at least shows the asian love for german words XD

I'm from europe, so maybe I'm not the right person to ask (hell I would love a german localized map, but this won't happen I guess XD), but when I'm thinking of the US, I'm mostly thinking of free and empty spaces next to the highways, sunny cities at the west and gothic cities on the east. Cowboys wouldn't came in my mind at first, cause I think this is some part of the past. I would more tend to a city in the style of the big cities of the east coast to be true.

But I can see that the western theme and the gunslinger are very popular, and they would fit as well. Western Steampunk would be cool. Mix the Cowboy style with steam machines. Also, don't forget the native americans if you go along with the western style. I guess in their mythologie you can find a whole bunch of cool "monsters" that would fit the theme. Maybe there could be a little native american camp on a fieldmap, or a little side city, and the quests could be about the "war" between both, that you have to end peacefully?
On the other hand I don't know if this topic is too sensible for some people... (I wouldn't like to hear idea's about a :thumb:-themed map as well, cause this is something we germans don't like to talk about :( )

#13 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

What about a town full of fast food restaurants? That's the first thing foreigners go for when they try to insult us, especially people from Europe.

"I have crooked teeth, but Americans are fat and love McDonald's!"

I don't.

#14 darkagentx

darkagentx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

It could be quite modern, in a world like Ragnarok I have no problem imagining widely varying tech levels based on location. Having said that, American Frontier might be more fun, especially if it meant stuff for slingers. I don't know about hybrid weapons, but some special daggers that could be used by slingers might be a good start. Or at least a couple one-handed guns; for higher level play being able to hold a slotted guard/buckler would do a world of good, but all the current guns are two-handed...

#15 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

You mean like your Costco dungeon idea? I'd find that highly amusing.

#16 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

I'd go for the Wild West town over anything. I'd love it to be packed with minigames~ Poker at the saloon, a shooting gallery courtesy of the new gunslinger class...

I kind of fear what would happen if they made a Canada themed town... My prediction would be a more barren Lutie where everyone rides a moose. Sasquatch now drops maple syrup. All NPCs end their sentences with "eh". XD

#17 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

You mean like your Costco dungeon idea? I'd find that highly amusing.

Monsters would include mutated forms of the Sample Ladies, a little kid pushing a cart into other people / carts/ merchandise and the MVP would be one of the giant inflatable dragon things they have at my local Costco right now.

#18 Nymmastal

Nymmastal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

When we arrive at Port America or whatever, we get off the boat, but we see like all of these indigenous peoples everywhere. But luckily we brought some Poison Bottles with us on the boat, so we pour it all over some blankets and give the blankets to the indigenous people so they can stay warm at night. But they won't wake up, so we use Status Recovery, but they still won't wake up. So we have to go around and knock over all their silly triangle houses and build some real ones, because we're gonna use their town to farm lots-a Fluff. But the Fluff keeps cutting our fingers, so we sail in some of those monkey people from Umbala to pick our Fluff.

But 100 patches later, the indigenous people are super rich because they control all the Hugel mini games, and we elect president Umbala as our leader to replace King Tristram the third.

Edited by Nymmastal, 02 September 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#19 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

When we arrive at Port America or whatever, we get off the boat, but we see like all of these indigenous peoples everywhere. But luckily we brought some Poison Bottles with us on the boat, so we pour it all over some blankets and give the blankets to the indigenous people so they can stay warm at night. But they won't wake up, so we use Status Recovery, but they still won't wake up. So we have to go around and knock over all their silly triangle houses and build some real ones, because we're gonna use their town to farm lots-a Fluff. But the Fluff keeps cutting our fingers, so we sail in some of those monkey people from Umbala to pick our Fluff.

But 100 patches later, the indigenous people are super rich because they control all the Hugel mini games, and we elect president Umbala as our leader to replace King Tristram the third.

Too bad it was the British who considered infecting Indians will smallpox. It's no different than anyone using biological weapons today.

#20 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

#21 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Pretty stupid to mock people dying.

#22 NoxiousOrchid

NoxiousOrchid

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 755 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

@Nymmastal That was completely out of line. Lets try to keep this appropriate.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like these on the maps.

Posted Image

Maybe have two camps, one for the natives, and one for midgardians who are exploring? I don't know how they would tie that into a gunslinger job change though.

#23 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Looking back at it now, it really traded on a lot of bad wild west stereotypes (as most shows back then did) but it did sort of shape my imagination about the ancient west.

#24 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image @ Nymmastal

#25 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members