3 replies to this topic

#1 Neferdias

Neferdias

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

I just stumbled on this forum... no joke. 2ish years of playing this game and never knew it was here... anyways...

So I'm in school right now working towards my digital media and IT diploma from my local tech college and I want to major in the modelling/animation side of things... and since I recently read up that Gravity likes community input (to some extent) I'd like to try and put together some assets... or play around with strict poly counts, dimensions and animations.

So what I'm looking for... is a basic idea of what size I should build my models to. At this point I'd like to stick to carts and CG's... but if you'd like to give some pointers on how I should go about building items (weapons, offhands, and back items to start) I'd greatly appreciate the input.

I'm still new to the restrictive nature of in game rendering... so if you could maybe give me an idea as to what I should aim for poly count wise (though this is probably tough to gauge) it would help me out. Sometimes I tend to think something is low on the poly count... but in fact it's probably insanly high.

#2 Rukario

Rukario

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationJohnston City, IL

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:31 AM

Interest is always appreciated.

What I mainly have to say, is that you should send a personal message to Calanor, as he'd be the first probable person to ask about this.

#3 Xenobite

Xenobite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

what 3d program are you using?
I can send you some example models as size/proportions reference these days (character models, car model with driver in position, CG)
as for polycount, I have to check (I forgot exact numbers)

you will have to follow some "rules"/guides - models pretty much have to use same skeletons
- cars have defined position and size for steering wheel, driver and wheels
- CG has those reverse oriented knees (like chicken/those 2 legged walkers from Star Wars)
etc

I think complete characters have to be under few k poly (all body parts) and cars are like 1,5-3k polys (triangles)
Textures are usualy up to 256 x 256 but there are few slightly bigger (512 / 1024)

#4 Neferdias

Neferdias

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I have full access to Maya... my poly's will be squares... and exact positioning and skeleton build won't be a problem... it'll actually help in the long run.

Is there a place/does someone have access to the actual male and female meshes? so that if I want, I can build armor and accessories to fit?

EDIT: I've taken upon myself to just go at it. I've found a few pictures of a mark II-esque Castle Gear that I will be modelling off of. I'm basing the weapon configurations off the old CG but with updated models. I've got the rig built for it... needs a few tweaks... but I'm ready to start the modelling process. I've never actually seen a Castle Gear walk, so I'll need to research the foot movements a bit more and adjust the rig accordingly... but so far I think everything is pretty straight forward. I'd still like some dimensions for it and pointers for what I should be doing for each individual part unless I just need to build 6 different models with the different weapon configurations that the engine will call depending on the equipped values and hope that they program it so mark II parts don't work on the mark I CG and vise versa... The other thing I need clarification on is the pilot seat and it's requirements.

Other then that... if I can juggle my in-class projects that I must get done... I should be able to finish this before christmas.

ps. I've sent a message to Calanor, just waiting for a reply :thumb:

Edited by Neferdias, 01 November 2011 - 09:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users