December 13, Skill Balance update patch! - Ragnarok: Patch History - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

December 13, Skill Balance update patch!

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#1 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

December 13 we will be applying the Skill balance patch. For many of you this is old news that you've been milling over for months already. For some that aren't as familiar with the behind the scenes discussions here on the forums this may be a bit of new news.

1st, most of this maintenance is about just implementing of the Skill balance update. With it there are some other system changes that we need to update as well.

1st Some 3rd classes do have HP modifications. Below is the changes, this would be level 150 with 0 vit (vit adds 1% HP)
  • Rune Knight 17808 -> 14883
  • Warlock 6960 -> 7669
  • Ranger 10451 -> no change
  • Archbishop 8283 -> no change
  • Mechanic 10897 -> 12531
  • GX Cross 13188 -> no change
  • Shadow Chaser 13188 -> no change
  • Royal Guard 13188 -> no change
  • Sorcerer 10451 -> 8883
  • Minstrel 10451 -> no change
  • Wanderer 10451 -> no change
  • Sura 10897 -> no change
  • Genetic 8283 -> 9111
Also most monsters in the game received updates to some of their stats like dex or damage and Experience reward. Monsters still exists within their current level range. The Turn In rewards will be adjusted accordingly. Typically exp for the 1-99 levels was lessened from monsters, while the monsters at the 130+ were increased. The overall intention is to make a more gradual and natural leveling curve. This is not a project that is complete from kRO or from us. We will be spending the next few weeks looking at quest rewards and making them feel like a more a natural part of the characters progression rather than a complete aside for time and effort spent. Please read the very bottom of this post for what this means and why we pushed to get this completed today.

Skill Resets: There will be a new very flamboyant NPC in the Eden Group that will do a full stat/skill reset 1 time for free. If you want more resets on that character it will take 1 Reset stone for the 2nd, 2 for the 3rd 3 for the 4th etc (#ofReset - 1)= reset stones needed

The Kafra shop has largely moved into the Item Mall GUI which is a button near the minimap, this will work on most maps for access to the kafra shop. For now we will leave the NPCs in the 2nd floor of the Eden Group while you adjust to the update.

Maintenance notes:

• New Turnin from Gramps
  • 90-110 Kiel Hyre
    - Aliot
    - Aliza
    115-130 Rachel Sanctuary 5
    - Hodremlin
    - Seeker
    135+ Somatology Lab 3 (biolabs 3)
    - Cecil Damon
    - Eremes Guile
    - Margaretha Sorin
    - Seyren-Windsor
    - Kathryne Keyron
    - Howard Alt-Eisen
  • Reset NPC in the Eden Group Kitchen 1 Free, each one after is 1 more Reset stone than the last reset.
  • Item Mall GUI added to the game
  • Skill and class rebalance added.
  • Christmas Lucky Box added until 12/27 (scheduled) 300 pts.
  • Early Wrapped Christmas Gift added as well 1800 pt next week it becomes tradable.
Next week we are trying to update 14.1, as many of those contents may directly enhance your current game play in ways that will make more sense with this skill update, so we do not want to overly delay on that implementation, plus it is a great time for us to advertise the game in the media if we have an episode update.

Next week will also be event WoEs of some sort, this means that this weeks castle holders will lose their castles next maintenance, their Econ and holdings backed up and reapplied once the event WoEs are over. During the event woes only certain realms will open up during the WoE period, and there will be 2 castles on the realm that are "normal" and 3 that are event WoE based, reward will not be treasure (indeed treasure won't spawn anyway) but will be items that help the guild make zeny and recouperate WoE cost.

WoE2 castles are disable this week, however WoE 1 will take place on all servers at the normal Saturday Time.

We are working on the PVP room delay on skill.

*-------- Long winded explanation follows ------------*

We began talking about the Skill Balance we were working on since last April, with expectations of having all the skill updates applied sometime last July. kRO at that time was directly working on a new skill balance that took feedback from many countries into account and was better received than the original, they wanted us to hold on until August/September to get the skill balance update. It was plausible to do this since huge sweeping changes should be few and far between, and this is a large change to be honest. When we were discussing our update schedule there were a lot of mini updates that had to precede the skill balance, as the skill balance was built with the "physics" of 14.1 in mind, which basically means that certain game functions only work with the 14.1 build.

So the Indonesia Map, Brasilis, 13.3 and the Costume Tab all needed to precede the Skill Balance update. That meant delays in our schedule. We were planning to be at this point of implementation in Late october or Early November, but we had certain technical difficulties due to this being the first implementation of this update outside of kRO or jRO, and not having workable files to work on our English systems. These are the sort of things that happen in development, normally we don't get so much at once, but it isn't unheard of. If we don't launch today that means 14.1 has to be delayed into next year, because the next 2 weeks are going into Holiday time which means very lessened support and ability to affect changes and fixes quickly. (Plus I had 2011 marketing budget planned for these updates, it going *poof* would make me cry with the lost opportunity)

I know with certainty that there are going to be things that are disliked in this update, likely because a class was glossed over, or made weaker or another class skills got enhanced etc. I know that is true and would happen in any sort of skill update, but I really hope that we all can look at this properly as a step in the right direction. Originally it was thought this would be the "end all patch" for skill balance from kRO, but after much discussion about feedback from around the world and the very passionate discussions over the last many months a new, more realistic, mindset emerged. It is impossible to fix everything at once, and really an MMO keeps evolving so constant tweeks have to happen, if feedback and the needs of the individual versions aren't addressed it will harm their player base and ultimately business. I know those statements sound like "duh" statements but a large business is not a person it is numbers and it doesn't have common sense it just has resource management and efficiency desires, and trying to cram an idea that uses resources without imediate gain is *hard*.

So 2011 is step 1, its long overdue but oh so needful. 2012 will likely have at least 1 if not 2 skill tweek updates (much smaller than this) , we need to take your feedback on how things are after this patch and get changes made. Things like resistances, damage, combination effects between skills etc all are things we want to modify. We pushed this update through Sakray faster than many of you wanted, and didn't allow tons of build testing, this was very intended as we knew it was impossible to make "balance changes" on this patch, it is a yes or no not a line item veto power. It takes months to get changes applied properly through the kRO then out to the world patches, I can't let iRO sit as it is for many months while we nitpick on specific skills, it just adds more frustration that we aren't moving forward. The Sakray testing was just to make sure the skills did what they were stated to change to (we will update the website as we can) testing builds so often misses the point of verification testing which was why the limitations.

#2 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Finally...

#3 Jeminice

Jeminice

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAl De Baran

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Aww thats sucks. Reduced the sorcerer's HP. It's already low. Why T_T!

#4 MasterKnshn

MasterKnshn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Server:Old Loki

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Seriously ditch the ball and chain that is kRO, start thinking outside your own box.

#5 sakurawings1

sakurawings1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
  • Server:Chaos -> Ymir -> Chaos

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

well thats nice :P but im very unhappy with the sorc hp going down -.- lol but everything else seems nice. :P

#6 Cydra

Cydra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 605 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie. The best one.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Rune Knight nerfed and Genetic buffed. How is this "balancing"?

#7 espeon

espeon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Google Doc version: http://goo.gl/ezHJM

#8 Recette

Recette

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Did you seriously buff Genetic HP?

#9 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

You do realize most, if not all genetic skills got nerfed, right?

#10 Mayhem

Mayhem

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Maybe you can tell us if anything else changed also.

Like does this patch include the fist to safety wall?

Does it effect any other skills?

What else is in this patch?

#11 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

kRO had better listen to us for once. Some of the things they do is getting ridiculous.

#12 Cydra

Cydra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 605 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie. The best one.

You do realize most, if not all genetic skills got nerfed, right?

Doing 1k less damage with Acid Bomb, Cart Cannon, Hell plant are hardly "nerfs".

#13 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

As if Sorcerer's weren't gimped enough here is the proverbial kick in the unmentionables.

#14 Skotios

Skotios

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

Because a merchant class (meant to be an attacker from day 1) having the same HP as a support class makes sense? I'm sooo sick of WoE/PVP people whining about other classes. It'd be nice if RO had seperate PVP servers so us PVM/MVPers could live in peace with our characters.

Edited by Skotios, 13 December 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#15 Daize

Daize

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Server:classic

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Please just stop posting.

OMG you mean genetics max hp at 150 w/ 100 vit will go from 30k to 32k???? OP!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG NERF
Who is "you" anyway? Heim? No one at iRO is responsible for the changes in this patch.

Really, I'm about to just not ever visit the forums again. People-_- for MONTHS about not getting the patch and now all of the sudden there are negative vibes from just about every poster about the patch. Everyone needs to just calm the-_- down.

#16 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Sigh, just when I was getting acquainted with my Sorcerer.

#17 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Most Genetics wear shields. They aren't exactly squishy characters.... plus they got Cart Boost to kite/dash through damage when they get hitlocked or targeted by a ground AoE attack. But yeah, I guess this was a compensation to balance out the nerfs on their Thorn Skills, Hell Plant and Mandragora Howling.

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 13 December 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#18 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

As if Sorcerer's weren't gimped enough here is the proverbial kick in the unmentionables.

Tripling the rate of crystalization wasn't sufficient on diamond dust? It has the potential to completely change what gear set ups people have to wear in WoE or die terribly, always.

#19 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Posted Image

#20 Inubashiri

Inubashiri

Loyal White Wolf

• Members
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationWaterfall of the Nine Heavens
  • Server:All

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Tripling the rate of crystalization wasn't sufficient on diamond dust? It has the potential to completely change what gear set ups people have to wear in WoE or die terribly, always.

Yeah thats all fine and dandy if i still WoE'ed, I should have said PvM wise. Posted Image

#21 Recette

Recette

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

As a Spellfist-build, we have not received any kind of buff to compensate for the HP loss and damage nerf.
What this patch does is force people like myself to either stop playing or switch to caster, which isn't really my cup of tea.

#22 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

To add more to that...the 14.2 update will have a card that causes Crystallization. :P

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 13 December 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#23 lainee

lainee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationOceanic Eternity

But yeah, I guess this was a compensation to balance out the nerfs

So what was the compensation for Wanderers? lol.

#24 Starlily

Starlily

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

^What lainee said.

Edited by Starlily, 13 December 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#25 Masterdelmal

Masterdelmal

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

don't nerf my sorcer <,<

It's hard to survive with the last hp and now this......

I hate this "Balance" patch

And urs reset's = more money :P.....

make this week for free reset's please!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users