Official Downloader STILL Broken & Can't Start Game - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Official Downloader STILL Broken & Can't Start Game

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

For many downloading the Ragnarok client from the official site gets interrupted. For linux users this causes a major problem because none of the iRO Wiki download options work due to the error (Can't write to log file! Please Change the file permissions (CHMOD to 666 on UNIX machines!)). Is there any way an official mirror or torrent can be set up so that linux users can actually play iRO? I'm trying to get a hold of the people at iRO Wiki to get them to adjust the files for linux download but I don't see why the official download can't work for once. In my entire history of playing WarpPortal, and specifically Ragnarok, the official download has never worked.

I had Ragnarok already installed after a long annoying process the last time but recently it just stopped working. I could get to the updater and click start but the log in screen would not appear so I'm reinstalling it. If anyone has a good working mirror that'd be nice.

Edited by EpicGnome, 25 May 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

The issue with the wiki effects all users. I suspect it's a result of the cleanup after iW was hacked a few days ago.

Official download has always sucked for the seven+ years i've been playing iRO. For some users, it works but is slow, for most it fails before finishing.

#3 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

The issue with the wiki effects all users. I suspect it's a result of the cleanup after iW was hacked a few days ago.

Official download has always sucked for the seven+ years i've been playing iRO. For some users, it works but is slow, for most it fails before finishing.

I managed to find some obscure site that had a copy of the client .msi and updated it but I still have the same problem. I can get the patcher going but after I hit start and it disappears, nothing else appears. The game won't start at all. Is there something wrong currently with the game due to the newest update?

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

I managed to find some obscure site that had a copy of the client .msi and updated it but I still have the same problem. I can get the patcher going but after I hit start and it disappears, nothing else appears. The game won't start at all. Is there something wrong currently with the game due to the newest update?

I've heard of the problem where you hit start and nothing happens. I don't recall what the fix is. Please let me know if you solve it so I can tell the next guy with that problem how to fix it.

#5 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I've heard of the problem where you hit start and nothing happens. I don't recall what the fix is. Please let me know if you solve it so I can tell the next guy with that problem how to fix it.

Out of a spontaneous thought, I checked the C++ and reinstalled it which fixed the issue and made it start right up. If someone can patch but not start I would recommend they reinstall that and it should fix.

#6 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Out of a spontaneous thought, I checked the C++ and reinstalled it which fixed the issue and made it start right up. If someone can patch but not start I would recommend they reinstall that and it should fix.

Thanks, what was the name of the thing you reinstalled? I'd like something more specific than "something to do with C++";

#7 hmc317

hmc317

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1461 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

hi, i am, currently having the same problem, after loading up todays patcher, my games patches up, then when i hit start game, nothing happens. i have sent in a support ticket, but i hope someone on the forums can give me a quick fix, as i am losing out on this 2x memorial weekend event. =)

ps ive tried downloading the client off the website and re-installing, and still not working.

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

hi, i am, currently having the same problem, after loading up todays patcher, my games patches up, then when i hit start game, nothing happens. i have sent in a support ticket, but i hope someone on the forums can give me a quick fix, as i am losing out on this 2x memorial weekend event. =)

ps ive tried downloading the client off the website and re-installing, and still not working.

Well he fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling something to do with C++. I hope he returns to tell us what!

#9 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Well he fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling something to do with C++. I hope he returns to tell us what!

EpicGnome was probably referring to the Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable Package, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, or both. However, I think EpicGnome is using Linux, so his solution probably doesn't apply to Windows.

#10 hmc317

hmc317

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1461 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

EpicGnome was probably referring to the Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable Package, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, or both. However, I think EpicGnome is using Linux, so his solution probably doesn't apply to Windows.

after some googling, i came about those solutions too, to reinstall c++ redistributable packages, i have yet to try it, in fear of screwin up some of my other programs. still waiting on official word on a fix. so far i have missed Friday night, and now Saturday of this 2x event T_T...this stuff always happens to me on weekends that ppl don't work. and the support ticket system seems slow QQ

#11 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

after some googling, i came about those solutions too, to reinstall c++ redistributable packages, i have yet to try it, in fear of screwin up some of my other programs. still waiting on official word on a fix. so far i have missed Friday night, and now Saturday of this 2x event T_T...this stuff always happens to me on weekends that ppl don't work. and the support ticket system seems slow QQ

To be blunt, it's extremely improbable that Gravity will be able to solve your problem. Your only hope is this subforum (or trying things at random). ;)

I'll try to help you after I've taken my dog to the park.

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Try reinstalling the MSVC++ 2008 runtimes (the second file that Richard linked to). Uninstall it (probably under windows components), reboot, then reinstall it from the download richard posted (dl it before you start anything though, so you're sure you can download it), reboot again. And see if it works then.

Edited by DrAzzy, 26 May 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#13 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

If DrAzzy's suggestion doesn't work, then check your event log for clues using Event Viewer (located in Control Panel, Administrative Tools).

By the way, are you using any Norton anti-malware software on your computer?

#14 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

O_O I havent been on in ages and I just saw this so I apologize. It was Visual C++ both versions, and it does apply to windows. Linux I use yes but Wine works as if it were windows. Anything you need in Windows you have to install in Wine to use Ragnarok.

Edited by EpicGnome, 25 July 2012 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users