Are You Lagging? - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Are You Lagging?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:RIP: Valkyrie

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Lag? What is Lag? Any Dictionary or Wikipedia will define this as: A common word meaning to fail to keep up or to fall behind. In any application we use, in particularly video games, this can mean: The program freezes or hangs while failing to respond in a timely fashion.

But it is more then simply the software being unable to stay in sync with our computers. Since there can be other factors that attribute to this cause. Such as a slow internet connection or server latency or overworked hardware. (Which can also possibly be from insufficient processing power.)

In overall essence, Lag is simply the failure to transmit any data at an optimal performance speed. Regardless of the reason, the tolerance for lag depends heavily upon the type of game. For instance, any slower paced game will be less demanding then a game that requires a faster pace. In order for an individual to experience satisfying game-play.

There are a few methods however, to improve this. If you would like to learn more, then please refer to the links below:

(Notice: I cannot offer any help or technical support for any of the possible proposed resolutions. These options were simply gathered together solely to create a collective of information. Please, make sure you research and read thoroughly! Especially, if you are unsure of how these changes will react with your computer. Before even attempting to make any critical modifications on your own. And remember, always back up your computer!: http://www.wikihow.c...k-up-a-Computer )

Services that help to decrease latency:

Information about Lag:

Cable vs DSL:

http://reviews.cnet....7-726601-1.html

Can you run it?: (Note: Ragnarok is not in CYRI's listings.)

http://cyri.systemre...tslab.com/cyri/

https://support.warp...BSearchID=63731

DNS & PC Modification:

Spoiler

TCP Delay & Message Queuing:

Spoiler

Test your Computer:

Wifi Optimization & Debugging:

Virus Protection & Support:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks and Happy Gaming!

PS: If you have any suggestions, feedback, or information, which would improve upon this topic --- Then, feel free to leave a reply.

(4-17-13: For those who have failed to read the footnote, I've highlighted it. The OP is a resource not a repair, thank you. If you require further help, seek out technical support.)

Edited by eerie, 17 April 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#2 mikeberserkr

mikeberserkr

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

The previous one that i have read was this link at irowiki (http://forums.irowik...ead.php?t=19534).

To be clear about what this will, and will not do:
This will offer slightly improved performance in Ragnarok Online and other online games - this comes at the cost of (potentially) a slight decrease in download performance. The extent of the improvement reported by using this fix varies widely between individuals. Some don't see any improvement, others see little improvement, and some report a night-and-day improvement.

This does not replace a service like Lowerping (and can be used in conjunction with such a service); it will not fix packet loss or a lousy ping.

Thanks a lot for posting this here!
-Azzy

However, here is a version of it for Win 7.

Edit: Id like to take note for Win 7 to PLEASE update your windows 7 (windows update program), and download all necessary updates and keep your OS up to date before proceeding. it is highly recommended.

From GT500 of Malwarebytes.
Spoiler

All credits go to GT500, Malwarebytes.

Original post:
http://forums.malwar...showtopic=26628

Not entirely certain if this is the proper section for this post, but hopefully it is helpful. :p_omg:

Edited by DrAzzy, 16 July 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#3 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

Uh, those tools you list are for _decreasing_ latency.

Latency means the delay when doing something - decreasing latency means decreasing lag / increasing performance.

iobit gamebooster doesn't look like it will fix RO lag - RO lag is almost _never_ due to local machine lag (and if it is, there's a serious problem with your computer bogging it down, and you should fix that instead).

The LagBuster is illegal if it does performance proxying, and if it doesn't, it's just a stand-alone QoS box, which would be neat, except that most routers can do QoS on their own, without third-party hardware. If it does use proxying, then it's illegal, because gaming proxy services are only allowed to proxy the game-server connections, not the login server connection (this is how WTFast and Lowerping work; I was told that it was okay to run my own proxy as long as it did the same thing). So I think this one is either a waste of money or illegal.

Other three listed are excellent ways to improve performance.

You should include information on WiFi optimization and debugging too - WiFi is generally not suitable for gaming, but people insist on using it anyway, and frequently have performance problems as a result of badly behaved WiFi networks.

Edited by DrAzzy, 07 June 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#4 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

I did see some reductions with Game booster, but it didn't prove to be very significant. I also couldn't find a definitive answer concerning the Lagbuster. Since I do not personally own the product, I've submitted a questionnaire.

Edited by eerie, 08 June 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#5 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'll be working on updating the OP over the weekend, hopefully, with a response to Lagbuster.

#6 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for your interest in LagBuster! We are always happy to answer questions.

The LagBuster does not use performance proxying, nor is it a QoS device.

We have a couple of videos on our website that describe what causes lag in home networks and how the LagBuster eliminates the problem. You can view the videos at:

1. What Causes Lag?
2. How LagBuster Works

We get many questions about how LagBuster differs from a device such as a router with QoS. Click here to see a Google Doc that we posted responding to one such question. The short answer is that routers with QoS cannot eliminate lag from games on home networks because they do not have the ability to measure instantaneous WAN bandwidth, which is required to guarantee bandwidth availability for games, at the moment the games need it. The LagBuster contains proprietary technology that allows it to continually measure available bandwidth in real time. It is the only device currently available that can guarantee that your games are given priority plus have bandwidth ready and waiting for the games to use.

LagBuster is compatible with broadband Cable and ADSL Internet connections, and some terrestrial wireless networks. LagBuster will work whether you connect to your router directly via an Ethernet cable, via Ethernet over powerline, or Wi-Fi.

Lag is a complex problem and there is a lot of folklore or misinformation going around the Internet related to the subject. We would be happy to provide more technical depth if you would like. Let us know when would be a good day/time and number, and one of our staff will call you.

Best regards,

Sejent Customer Service

#7 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I cannot say much with certainty. But if it really works, as they claim it does. Then it is another alternative option? Versus your typical online subscriptions & downloads.

Edited by eerie, 11 June 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#8 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good
  • Server:Classic

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I don't own one myself, so I can't say much with certainty. But if it really works, as they claim it does. Then it is another alternative option? Versus your typical online subscriptions & downloads.

eeeeerrieeeeeee

#9 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

OP modified, please check for errors, or add suggestions. I've also added some spoilers, to shorten the post and hide media. Just click the button to the section you wish to look at.

Edited by eerie, 11 June 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#10 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

eeeeerrieeeeeee

Heart!? :P

#11 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Heart!? :P

yes <3
forums my redemption zone, meet you next on pre-re server i presume?
oh god i am have been telling this to all my old friends and all postive replies i hope the same for you~~

#12 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

I look forward to it. :)

#13 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

I look forward to it. :)

yes!

#14 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

I have a new found hate for Powerline connections. Perhaps a router, anyone?

Spoiler

If you've ever tried this, let me know how it worked out for you.

Edited by eerie, 15 July 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#15 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

I have some old Netgear XE102s which I only use when i need to PXE-boot something in an inconvenient location.

- adds 2ms to ping
- slow (about 5 Mbps)
- only works for some pairs of outlets
- power outage = no network connectivity (with everything else you have the option of battery backup)

#16 wren2012

wren2012

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

You should include information on WiFi optimization and debugging too - WiFi is generally not suitable for gaming, but people insist on using it anyway, and frequently have performance problems as a result of badly behaved WiFi networks.

its not that some of us "insist" on using wireless connection, its that we have to. with multiple computers in the house belonging to other people, and the primary account holder on the internet occupying the modem/router with their computer they dont even really use the internet for, there is no alternative but to go wireless.

Are any of these lag reduction services 100% free? i've been trying WTFast Trial 20 minutes at a time, and usually its pretty smooth, but getting booted every 20 minutes is meh. Playing without using it is even more meh, as my character chases an enemy around or just stares at it half the time...

#17 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Leatrix &/OR TCP Delay & TCP Optimizer is probably as free as you can get for now. There's game booster also, but after testing it personally, I didn't find it quite as helpful. Though it will only be free until they release the commercial version.

#18 1403576526

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

The lag spikes on this game are almost to difficult to navigate...I tried to convince some friends to come back to iRO, they quickly unistalled after experiencing the spikes so frequently. Lag spikes on such a low rate server = death and loss of 1% which is never ok, but definitely harder to swallow when you know it isn't your fault.

PLEASE FIX THE ****** LAG SPIKES, Sakray never lagged like this...

#19 cptincredble

cptincredble

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

I just started playing classicro and I must say, the lag is unbearable. I find it weird because I don't lag at all while playing dota2 or tf2 (much more demanding games), but I do when playing ro. help!

#20 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Click the link in my signature: "How to post a tracert".

#21 eerie

eerie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

If anyone wishes to view the replies from mikeberserkr's topic, prior to merge its: disable tcp delay lag fix windows 7 version

#22 itskrude

itskrude

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSpokane
  • Playing:Metal Assault

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

how about a server upgrade

#23 Siberiaqt

Siberiaqt

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

It seems a little unnecessary that I have to go through installing another program just to make RO playable. I can play WoW, League of Legends, Dota2 and Guild Wars 2 without any lag/delay/freezing whatsoever, yet when I play this game it's unbearable. That doesn't really sound like a problem on my end that I need to fix.

I used to play this game on iRO Chaos in 2003-2005, and there was never any lag except for walking into a castle on a saturday afternoon and getting spammed; which was immediately fixable by /effect. My concern is I'm stuck on this Ymir server now with like a couple hundred people and the lag is this bad? What the hell happened? I came back from a very long hiatus missing WoE and MvPing and can barely level my high archer now because of how bad this lag is. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like trying to WoE or MvP.

#24 Jellypish

Jellypish

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:classic loki

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

I dont know but my pc has been upgraded to play any game even the newest (etc: Crysis, Rage, Skyrim) in full resolution or max in graphic setting. And im running on 10MBPS internet connection.. but the 'lag'is still there for this ragnarok =,= so the problem must be the server itself.

#25 Ambar

Ambar

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I have been experiencing lag spikes frequently since about 2 weeks ago. I even uninstalled my antivirus completely but the lag spikes keep happening frequently. I can play other games fine, it's just RO that is giving me such a hard time. I play on Ymir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users