TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:My Dreams + Loki

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

6x seagate 1TB SATA drives withOUT RAID for mass storage

You should run that in Raid 10, you'd use 4 disks but you could get read and write rates of at least 80~200 MB per seconds depending on the RPM's and cache. Have you tried running it before? It's a whole lot easier to do with disk management, you could also get a Raid Controller... but that's worth alot.

#102 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos, Classic

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

ooh the wireless/ wired thing sounds really nice can you post a link.

Kinda late when it's over a page but I got my mouse here: http://store.razerzo...goryId.35208800

It was 60% Off on a sale and I needed a new mouse anyways so I figured why not. I kinda like the world of wired and wireless so I get the best of both worlds.

Helps a lot when my mouse dies in RO or Starcraft and I regain control in about 5~10 seconds when it goes to wired.

Extra buttons on side I haven't found a use for in RO quite yet... I know a lot of people like to use their mouse wheels for spells and I don't know how people can get used to that... @_@

#103 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

My RO computer is a laptop of like three years ago. I think she has like 1GB ram and a dual core, and no dedicated graphic card. But really, do you need more to run RO O-o?

Everybody knows that by the way RO is programmed, newer hardware works worse then older hardware, right?

Edited by Kadnya, 18 June 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#104 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

My RO computer is a laptop of like three years ago. I think she has like 1GB ram and a dual core, and no dedicated graphic card. But really, do you need more to run RO O-o?

Everybody knows that by the way RO is programmed, newer hardware works worse then older hardware, right?

This is true when you look at the Dark Illusion status...

#105 Niji

Niji

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2701 posts
  • Locationhell
  • Server:classic!!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Kinda late when it's over a page but I got my mouse here: http://store.razerzo...goryId.35208800

It was 60% Off on a sale and I needed a new mouse anyways so I figured why not. I kinda like the world of wired and wireless so I get the best of both worlds.

Helps a lot when my mouse dies in RO or Starcraft and I regain control in about 5~10 seconds when it goes to wired.

Extra buttons on side I haven't found a use for in RO quite yet... I know a lot of people like to use their mouse wheels for spells and I don't know how people can get used to that... @_@

ooh thanks lots of new toys to shop for!!

#106 Senkasa

Senkasa

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, IA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

ooh thanks lots of new toys to shop for!!

Just don't play with it to the point of breaking it. o_o;

I liked the discounted rate when I purchased it and 2 years of manufacturer's warranty. My Logitech G510 has become my macro slave of buffs and pots so far~ :p_hi:

#107 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

You should run that in Raid 10, you'd use 4 disks but you could get read and write rates of at least 80~200 MB per seconds depending on the RPM's and cache. Have you tried running it before? It's a whole lot easier to do with disk management, you could also get a Raid Controller... but that's worth alot.

All 7200RPM and I think 64MB cache? Dunno, they are all older drives that work well enough. I don't care about write rates, they are for storage of huge data sets ( uncompressed MPEG streams with uncompressed PCM / WAVE audio and huge scratch renders for extremely high DPI photo editing) and general storage for network streaming. Right now my network is the bottleneck since I don't have gigabit Ethernet cards in all my PCs.

#108 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You
  • Server:iRO-Chaos

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

can i has a Porsche please :)

u can has cayman

CPU - Transmeta Crusoe TM5700 @ 800MHz
Cooling - passive
RAM - 256 MB
HDD - 256 MB ATA Flash Disk
Video Card - ATI RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
PSU - power brick on AC adapter
monitor - Ltrx SLS DUO

how do you live?

#109 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

CPU: Intel i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Memory: Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling: Corsair H60 Watercooler
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W

<3

#110 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

CPU: Intel i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Memory: Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling: Corsair H60 Watercooler
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W

<3

Nice kinda like mine

#111 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

@meoryou2 you could get about 200mb/s on random and smaller consecutive read and writes. I get similar speeds on my on Raid 1, I didn't feel like setting up a mirror, hope it doesn't break =P.

@596959601 You can get 5.0 GHZ using the Corsair H100 Watercooler; it's really good at keeping that CPU cool at very high speeds. If you have the money you could do a close loop system for liquid cooling with water blocks for your cards in SLI... a bit costly, but you can really get good Over Clock speeds on the cards and the cpu.

@Maka I believe your board supports the "Intel Smart Response Tech." So you can attach and SSD and increase your system response time dramatically. It's good software for the people who has a small SSD: any SSD 64 GB or less and doesn really want to shell out the cash for a larger size SSD. There are also a few other things you could do using reg edits where you can store system and user files on the SSD and get a very specific system boost when running applications and boot time. A co-worker set his system up like that.

#112 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

@596959601 You can get 5.0 GHZ using the Corsair H100 Watercooler; it's really good at keeping that CPU cool at very high speeds. If you have the money you could do a close loop system for liquid cooling with water blocks for your cards in SLI... a bit costly, but you can really get good Over Clock speeds on the cards and the cpu.

Yea was considering that atm at idling my PC run 35c when on heave load its maxes to 45 not more. Also SpeedFan is a great application to cool the pc down

#113 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

That's a pretty good speed, I want to over clock the hell out of this CPU. There have been stable 5.4-5.7's floating around only due to some hard core cooling. I haven't got a Chance to run SpeedFan due to eveything atm running at stock speeds =<

But what what is everyone bench marking with Heaven?

I Do think if we added our Spec to our Sigs with CPUZ we can gloat about out systems better XD

#114 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

@meoryou2 you could get about 200mb/s on random and smaller consecutive read and writes. I get similar speeds on my on Raid 1, I didn't feel like setting up a mirror, hope it doesn't break =P.

@Maka I believe your board supports the "Intel Smart Response Tech." So you can attach and SSD and increase your system response time dramatically. It's good software for the people who has a small SSD: any SSD 64 GB or less and doesn really want to shell out the cash for a larger size SSD. There are also a few other things you could do using reg edits where you can store system and user files on the SSD and get a very specific system boost when running applications and boot time. A co-worker set his system up like that.

One - I don't need to move data drive to drive so RAID won't help me at all. I do mostly linear editing and pipe the uncompressed streams to an encoder cluster over my network, so network = bottle neck not disk reads / writes. SATA standard read / write is faster then 100baseT ( 100Mbit = roughly 12.5 MB/s give or take due to compression and CPU load if your network card offloads to CPU) and CPU bottle necks. When a farm can only push so many FPS ( nowhere NEAR waht the network can provide ) it doesn't pay to fill up a huge buffer in memory or on disk.
Two - sounds like you set up RAID 0, RAID 1 is mirrored disks. If you want the speed of RAID 0 with the redundancy of RAID 1( you can run with a single disk from a degraded RAID 1 array ) you need to go RAID 10... but that requires 2x the number of disks. I have a raid 10 setup on my old HP Netserver with 6 SCSI disks in it. It is fast ( don't really care about that, I wanted the striping for expanded disk ) and mirrored for my backups of important stuff before it gets shipped offsite. That one is using a Promise dedi raid card.

#115 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

One - I don't need to move data drive to drive so RAID won't help me at all. I do mostly linear editing and pipe the uncompressed streams to an encoder cluster over my network, so network = bottle neck not disk reads / writes. SATA standard read / write is faster then 100baseT ( 100Mbit = roughly 12.5 MB/s give or take due to compression and CPU load if your network card offloads to CPU) and CPU bottle necks. When a farm can only push so many FPS ( nowhere NEAR waht the network can provide ) it doesn't pay to fill up a huge buffer in memory or on disk.
Two - sounds like you set up RAID 0, RAID 1 is mirrored disks. If you want the speed of RAID 0 with the redundancy of RAID 1( you can run with a single disk from a degraded RAID 1 array ) you need to go RAID 10... but that requires 2x the number of disks. I have a raid 10 setup on my old HP Netserver with 6 SCSI disks in it. It is fast ( don't really care about that, I wanted the striping for expanded disk ) and mirrored for my backups of important stuff before it gets shipped offsite. That one is using a Promise dedi raid card.

Meh Raid 0 Raid 1 same thing XD j/k sometimes I confuse the striping @_@ plus I forgot to take account for the 100baseT

I am getting this on my own Raid
Spoiler

But I see were you comming about this, I was Just thinking if you have 6 disks, 4 (2 for raid 2 for mirror) could be used. But I just set mine up as Raid 0, I was going to move towards Raid 10, but I built it using 2 500 gb disks that I'm not really worried about - loosing data. Mostly I store everything to my 750 and back all the important stuff up to the 1TB. I'm using a FTP on the raid to pull content from home when I'm on campus. The SSD is sitting on stand by, I want to re-image and make the SSD my primary, but I dont have the patience to copy over all my games saved files @_@

Edited by TheUraharaShop, 18 June 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#116 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Meh Raid 0 Raid 1 same thing XD j/k sometimes I confuse the striping @_@ plus I forgot to take account for the 100baseT

I am getting this on my own Raid

Spoiler

But I see were you comming about this, I was Just thinking if you have 6 disks, 4 (2 for raid 2 for mirror) could be used. But I just set mine up as Raid 0, I was going to move towards Raid 10, but I built it using 2 500 gb disks that I'm not really worried about - loosing data. Mostly I store everything to my 750 and back all the important stuff up to the 1TB. I'm using a FTP on the raid to pull content from home when I'm on campus. The SSD is sitting on stand by, I want to re-image and make the SSD my primary, but I dont have the patience to copy over all my games saved files @_@

Thats some decent speeds. As a side note, did you know that since Win2K you can mount your volumes in an empty folder instead of using a drive letter just how it is done in UNIX / Linux? I use a lot of scripting in my work so it's easiest for me to mount the volumes like 1TBdisk1 = \working, 1TBdisk2 = \export, 1TBdisk3 = \media_storage ETC instead of D:\ E:\ F:\ or whatever. It makes it sooooo much easier to either batch script or use cygwin ( what I use a TON ) since you don't have to constantly use the letter + colon + backslash combo.

#117 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thats some decent speeds. As a side note, did you know that since Win2K you can mount your volumes in an empty folder instead of using a drive letter just how it is done in UNIX / Linux? I use a lot of scripting in my work so it's easiest for me to mount the volumes like 1TBdisk1 = \working, 1TBdisk2 = \export, 1TBdisk3 = \media_storage ETC instead of D:\ E:\ F:\ or whatever. It makes it sooooo much easier to either batch script or use cygwin ( what I use a TON ) since you don't have to constantly use the letter + colon + backslash combo.

Yeah That jogged my memory; I've done it for Ubuntu running Fog Imaging Service and MDT. I'm going to over haul the system again in the next few months. Going to over clock the Ram, CPU and GPU and tweak these final settings.

@IhasShovel
Here is my Heaven Bench Mark Results

It's only recognizing the Intel HD 3000 GPU, instead of the the Radeon 6970

Spoiler

Edited by TheUraharaShop, 18 June 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#118 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Here's mine, an Alienware Area 51:
Spoiler

Don't trust what it says about the CPU, that's O/C'd to 3.33GHz.

X-Fi has optical output to Yamaha RX-V731 receiver (600W total power w/ Sub) that serves as my main Dolby Digital compliant speakers. Creative SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Wrath Wireless headset is THX certified (7.1 surround).

Keyboard is Logitech G-15 (old but still works perfectly), and mouse is a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 (Bluetrack technology), works better than my Logitech G5 mouse.
Spoiler

Yes, 6GB DDR3 RAM @1600MHz, O/C'd CPU and only a 5.9. Time to drop an SSD in here.
Video cards are Radeon HD 5870 running in CrossfireX. Not too shabby in the render tests:
Spoiler

And yes, this machine is named Ymir. My XPS M1210 is named Juno, my P4 3.0GHz media server is Prontera, and my netbook is named Izlude, all on the Midgard workgroup.

And Ymir has 6.5 TB of hard drive space just because it can.

Edited by FatherBob, 25 June 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#119 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:36 AM

Here's mine, an Alienware Area 51:

Spoiler

Don't trust what it says about the CPU, that's O/C'd to 3.33GHz.

X-Fi has optical output to Yamaha RX-V731 receiver (600W total power w/ Sub) that serves as my main Dolby Digital compliant speakers. Creative SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Wrath Wireless headset is THX certified (7.1 surround).

Keyboard is Logitech G-15 (old but still works perfectly), and mouse is a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 (Bluetrack technology), works better than my Logitech G5 mouse.
Spoiler

Yes, 6GB DDR3 RAM @1600MHz, O/C'd CPU and only a 5.9. Time to drop an SSD in here.
Video cards are Radeon HD 5870 running in CrossfireX. Not too shabby in the render tests:
Spoiler

And yes, this machine is named Ymir. My XPS M1210 is named Juno, my P4 3.0GHz media server is Prontera, and my netbook is named Izlude, all on the Midgard workgroup.

And Ymir has 6.5 TB of hard drive space just because it can.

Damn hell thats a nice config

#120 FatherBob

FatherBob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Damn hell thats a nice config

Thanks!

#121 Elinu

Elinu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Server:Classic

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

I have a pretty average computer for high-end gaming.

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: GTX 560 TI
HDD: 1 TB Sata
RAM: 8 GB Rip Jaw
CPU Coolermaster -- Can't remember the name of it.
PWSupply: 750WATT ... some good quality of power supply.
Mobo : Asus Rock something. I can fit 24 gigs of ram if I remember correctly.

Posted Image

I want to upgrade it more possibly in the next 5 months after I get more income. I have a new monitor atm. I'd like to get one more LED monitor, a large TV, a second graphics card, a secondary HDD, and a higher end Intel CPU. The i5 2500k serves me quite well though. -- Technically I don't even need to upgrade, for it's not uncommon that I pull 60-80 FS on max graphics toward very high textured games-- it'd just be nice future preparation.

Edited by Elinu, 30 June 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#122 AsurABl00d

AsurABl00d

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1076 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:59 AM

That is a nice PC Cabinet look really cool

#123 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

I have a pretty average computer for high-end gaming.

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: GTX 560 TI
HDD: 1 TB Sata
RAM: 8 GB Rip Jaw
CPU Coolermaster -- Can't remember the name of it.
PWSupply: 750WATT ... some good quality of power supply.
Mobo : Asus Rock something. I can fit 24 gigs of ram if I remember correctly.

Posted Image

I want to upgrade it more possibly in the next 5 months after I get more income. I have a new monitor atm. I'd like to get one more LED monitor, a large TV, a second graphics card, a secondary HDD, and a higher end Intel CPU. The i5 2500k serves me quite well though. -- Technically I don't even need to upgrade, for it's not uncommon that I pull 60-80 FS on max graphics toward very high textured games-- it'd just be nice future preparation.

For gaming the i5 is really all you need. There is no reason to upgrade further until Nvidias Maxwell and intels Broadwell

#124 Freja

Freja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

My current machine was assembled by myself in 2008, and has since gone through a number of upgrades!

At the moment I'm using Windows XP for games, and GNU/Linux for everything else.

Processor: Q9300
Graphics: Nvidia GTS 250
Memory: 4 GB

Internal drives:
Disk #1: 74 GB, encrypted, running GNU/Linux
Disk #2: 74 GB, encrypted, running a dormant GNU/Linux customized for my future machine
Disk #3: 1.5 TB, encrypted, contains entertainment, top secret stuff, and backups
Disk #4: 1.5 TB, encrypted, contains weekly backup of Disk #3

External drives:
Disk #5: 500 GB, running Windows XP, contains games
Disk #6: 160 GB, encrypted, contains a backup of top secret stuff
Disk #7: 160 GB, encrypted, running a slim flavor of GNU/Linux in case I puppy up anything on Disk #1

Laptops
A little Intel Atom 1GHz, encrypted, running GNU/Linux
A 10+ year old laptop used as gateway, which also sends mail to my cellphone when a power outage occur.

The future machine I mentioned will run Xen with dual GPU passthrough, as demonstrated in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtmwnx-k2qg

As a side note, did you know that since Win2K you can mount your volumes in an empty folder instead of using a drive letter just how it is done in UNIX / Linux? I use a lot of scripting in my work so it's easiest for me to mount the volumes like 1TBdisk1 = \working, 1TBdisk2 = \export, 1TBdisk3 = \media_storage ETC instead of D:\ E:\ F:\ or whatever.

I didn't know until now! I have been wondering at numerous occasions what would happen after reaching letter Z

Edited by Freja, 03 July 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#125 Elinu

Elinu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Server:Classic

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

For gaming the i5 is really all you need. There is no reason to upgrade further until Nvidias Maxwell and intels Broadwell

Ah I just figured by then they may have something even better out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users