Getting the latest RO client Working...Kind of - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Getting the latest RO client Working...Kind of

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 StarDruid

StarDruid

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:No where Now

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Not sure if this should be here or the guides but okay:

As some of you know or have experiences, for some of us the newest clients for RO, both classic and renewal, refuse to start and ether giving a "has stopped" error or a error window pops up. For myself it was both my Windows 7 64bit Pro and Vista Home 64bit laptop that had the issue. We've been forced to use older client just to play and not heard a single word on when we can play again using the updated clients.

Well I found a solution that works for my Windows 7 machine....well kind of works.....in a very round about way. The solution? A Virtual machine.

Yep, sadly the only way I could get the newest version of RO to run is running it in a Windows XP virtual machine inside my windows 7 install. Now this is not for everyone by any means since it's on the technical side and frankly it's a pain, but let you play with the latest client. Or any older 16bit-32bit game/program that refuses to work in Windows 7

First as far as I know this only works for window 7 ( Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions) users or those that have a copy of windows XP (check bottom of post for "Other Options" for other windows OS) sitting around. First you need a Decent machine with decent amount of ram, or it may run like crap. Next ether you need a mother board/chip that can use hardware virtualization and use Windows XP mode for windows 7 or use VMware Player.

Solution One:
Windows XP mode is free to all owners of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions and basically installs Windows XP in Virtual machine for you. Sadly unless you got Hardware visualization on you computer hardware that version of Windows XP won't have a "3D card" in it since it can't access yours directly so won't run Any games that need 3D like RO.
If you know you system has Hardware Virtualization and you have Windows 7 you can download Windows XP mode from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft...c/download.aspx
It'll tell you how to install it after you tell it what version of windows 7 you have and the language. Sadly my machine lags bad with Hardware Virtualizaion turned on so never used this way for long.
After windows xp install you'll need to install DirectX and then Ragnarok online. The video driver should be installed already if you computer supports Hardware Virtualizaion.

You might need to go into your computers BIOS and turn on Hardware virtualization. If you don't know if your support it then you'll need to search the web and find out.

Solution Two:
Solution two is using VMware Player. The nice thing about VMware player beside being free for the basic version, is that it had it's own "hardware" drivers so hardware virtualzation isn't needed.
First you need to download VMware player: https://my.vmware.co...ware_player/5_0
You'll need the "VMware Player for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit" version. You can check to see if you current OP is supported on their site.
Install it and it'll set itself up.

Also:
Also When running Windows XP in VMware player it won't see your computer or your network. So you ether need to burn the RO installs to a disk, USB disk, or redownland them in the Virtual machine, which involves updating the Browser while inside Windows Xp, since the basic one with it can't access the downloads because they're to old.

Next step depend on what you have.

Possibility One:
If you have your own version of windows XP sitting around you can just tell it to Create a new virtual machine, put your windows xp disk in and it'll help you through the process. Once you actual got windows XP install you'll need go the the "Player" button in the VMware players screen, go to "Manage" and then "Install VMware Tools". This will install drivers on both your real operating system and in the Virtual machine, giving you 3D capacity. Then you need to install DirectX and Ragnarok Online. Patch the game and play.
Possibility Two:
If you don't have your own version of Windows XP sitting around but own Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions there is another option. You'll need to Install windows XP mode. Then you'll need to download the "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone", it'll copy over and convert the Windows XP mode virtual machine into one that VMware can use, though you'll need to register with them to get download it. The registration is free but just annoying to have to give out information to them. Once you got VMware vCenter Converter Standalone installed, you got the the "Player" button again, "File", then "Import Windows XP Mode VM". After it's done you'll need go through the windows xp setup process (set time, time zone, etc), install VMware Tools, then directX and Ragnarok Online. patch like usually and play.

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone:
https://my.vmware.co...L9WrHcyCmLAylwg

Other Options:
If you don't have a windows 7 edition that gets Window XP Mode for free or a windows XP disk but have some other windows disk around you could also try install it in VMWare player. The VMware tools that act as video drivers are supported for Windows 98, window ME, Windows XP, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista. You could try following Possibility One using those other windows versions and see if it works. It also support windows 95, but not sure if RO will run in windows 95.

Edited by StarDruid, 12 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users