Ragnarok not installing properly (and not running at all) - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ragnarok not installing properly (and not running at all)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alphacme

Alphacme

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

So, after a little break, I've decided to start playing Ragnarok again. Thing is, for some reason, after updating my client, it didn't worked. I've waited a bit, being too lazy to check what was actually wrong. However, since it still is not working, I've decided to take more drastic measures and uninstall/re-install the damn thing. But even that doesn't work.

After looking at the setting, I got a window saying "This program did not install correctly". So, obviously, something's wrong.

I just wanted to know if there's a step by step guide on how to install Ragnarok properly (for Windows 7) or if someone has had similar issues (and how to fix it).

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

When you installed RO, and tried to start it, what happened?

Windows is VERY stupid about when it displayed the "this application didn't install correctly" message. I think what it's doing is seeing that you run a program called "Setup.exe" and that it didn't install something, and "Oh, it must have failed to install", when setup is the config program not the installer.

#3 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

I encountered this issue when I install RO on my new Win7 machine. Most Windows7 machines comes with the default Windows driver which works fine for most applications, but not for game that uses DirectX. What I had to do to fix the issue was installed the proper video driver and then DirectX from Microsoft.

Another thing that you might want to consider is provide your RO directory with full read/write access. You may also want to run Setup.exe as Admin.

Let me know if you need help with any of these steps.

#4 Alphacme

Alphacme

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

When you installed RO, and tried to start it, what happened?

First, the patcher appears. Then, it updates the files, which, so far, is totally normal. However, once it's done and I try to play, the patcher goes away and nothing else happens. So basically, the only weird thing that is going on is that the game window never shows up, once I've clicked the button. I've tried restarting my computer before launching the game, too... doesn't work either.

I encountered this issue when I install RO on my new Win7 machine. Most Windows7 machines comes with the default Windows driver which works fine for most applications, but not for game that uses DirectX. What I had to do to fix the issue was installed the proper video driver and then DirectX from Microsoft.

Another thing that you might want to consider is provide your RO directory with full read/write access. You may also want to run Setup.exe as Admin.

Let me know if you need help with any of these steps.

My DirectX drivers are up to date (I always update my video drivers). I'm not sure how I can provide full access to my RO directory, though; might be worth trying.

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

What antivirus software are you using?

Avast and some other AV scanners get a false positive from the RO client, and kill the process with no error message displayed or logged.

#6 Alphacme

Alphacme

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

What antivirus software are you using?

Avast and some other AV scanners get a false positive from the RO client, and kill the process with no error message displayed or logged.

I do use Avast. I've never had problems before though, but I'll still check if that could be the problem.

#7 Alphacme

Alphacme

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

So I tried again, with Avast being deactivated; it didn't really help. When I clicked on "Start", the setting window appeared in my face. After changing a few things, I clicked "Ok" and an infinite loop began. The setting window just kept reappearing, regardless of what I clicked.

So yeah, I guess it's still isn't working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users