Help with Windows 8 + RO - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Windows 8 + RO

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos,Thor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

game is patching but when i click play and i get nothing and upgraded to Windows 8 that can help. thanks in advance

#2 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Your first mistake: Installing Windows 8.

#3 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

-_-

#4 WateryGrave

WateryGrave

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationEast U.S
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

---> :bang:

#5 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Your first mistake: Installing Windows 8.

it was a gift expensive too should i tell them thanks send it back ? honestly im having fun playing with my new windows 8 then RO right now. but i did pay my vip so i need to get back on soon

#6 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Did you install anything at the same time as Win8? Particularly, any antivirus software? Many AV programs get a false positive from the RO client lately, and you need to set exceptions for the RO clients to make them work.

Also - are your graphics drivers correctly installed and compatible with Win8?

Edited by DrAzzy, 27 October 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#7 Blueflight

Blueflight

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

it was a gift expensive too should i tell them thanks send it back ? honestly im having fun playing with my new windows 8 then RO right now. but i did pay my vip so i need to get back on soon

No. You should smash it, burn it, lock it in a safe, freeze it in a giant block of ice, then throw it off a cliff (preferably into the Infinite Schism or a similar inescapable time vortex) and try your hardest to forget you ever used it.

Seriously though it's probably your antivirus.

#8 slwl1

slwl1

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

run ro in windows xp compatibility modde then u are off to go

#9 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Roundbeck

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Update all your drivers. Actually just look at azzys post he would be the most helpful person here.

Edited by HikariYari, 27 October 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#10 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Did you install anything at the same time as Win8? Particularly, any antivirus software? Many AV programs get a false positive from the RO client lately, and you need to set exceptions for the RO clients to make them work.

Also - are your graphics drivers correctly installed and compatible with Win8?

No clue :p_sick:

No. You should smash it, burn it, lock it in a safe, freeze it in a giant block of ice, then throw it off a cliff (preferably into the Infinite Schism or a similar inescapable time vortex) and try your hardest to forget you ever used it.

Seriously though it's probably your antivirus.

how can i check for that and fix that?

run ro in windows xp compatibility modde then u are off to go

And huh?

i may be on computers all day sometimes but im kinda slow at this . can you all explain how to check these things please and :thx: you :heh:

#11 xFireize

xFireize

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

LoL are you guys apple/windowsXP fanboys or just jerks? I'll be installing my Windows 8 soon, for free. :3

And as slwl1 has mentioned, change the compability. This is a link for how to do that (it seems it's as simple as doing it in Windows 7):
http://www.forumswin...y-mode-5264.htm

Give it a try!

Edited by xFireize, 28 October 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#12 rramz00

rramz00

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

mine used to do the same thing, just right click on it and run the compatibility wizard. its simple. I have mine up and running. Before you do though, ,locate it in your hard drive and run the setup as admin, so you don't get the infinite setup windows. I have a post running about how I am now lagging after I upgraded to windows 8. please let me know your experience. thankyou.

#13 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

LoL are you guys apple/windowsXP fanboys or just jerks? I'll be installing my Windows 8 soon, for free. :3

And as slwl1 has mentioned, change the compability. This is a link for how to do that (it seems it's as simple as doing it in Windows 7):

Give it a try!

i did it and im up and running thanks :)

mine used to do the same thing, just right click on it and run the compatibility wizard. its simple. I have mine up and running. Before you do though, ,locate it in your hard drive and run the setup as admin, so you don't get the infinite setup windows. I have a post running about how I am now lagging after I upgraded to windows 8. please let me know your experience. thankyou.

BUUUTT i am VERY laggy and i just got stuck on loading screen had to sign off my computer to close RO not attempting to get on again.

im thinking the new windows 8 setup and the apps are gonna make it hard to not be laggy. OMG i can just imagine when it WoE :wah:

Edited by darkdito1884, 28 October 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#14 rramz00

rramz00

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi i have been posting my experience so far on my thread. Give it a read through and see if any of it helps. Its under this section too

#15 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Give it a try!

No, we've got two different computers set up at work (mom and pop computer store), both with windows 8. One has a touchscreen, the other does not.

Everyone hated the mouse+keyboard setup and yet were turned off by the prices of Touchscreen monitors available on the internet (Newegg,Amazon, etc).

Edited by Lynex, 28 October 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#16 IfrianMMO

IfrianMMO

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I am unable to make Ragnarok work even on compatibility mode /running as admin under windows 8 : /
if i try to run Ragnarok Classic it does go full mode but then crashes over a D3D error.

Update: apparently disabling Avast allows it to run.

Edited by IfrianMMO, 28 October 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#17 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I am unable to make Ragnarok work even on compatibility mode /running as admin under windows 8 : /
if i try to run Ragnarok Classic it does go full mode but then crashes over a D3D error.

Update: apparently disabling Avast allows it to run.

Avast is known to false positive on RO, see http://forums.warppo...-with-ragnarok/ for instructions on how to make Avast play nice with RO (without turning it off; turning off AV software is not something you should do except for testing)

#18 ceinchase

ceinchase

Too Legit To Quit

• Artist Alley Alliance
  • 2625 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

ahh.. as with any new technology: always wait for the updated re-release. See: iphone 5.
Lol B) Glad you got it working though! I hope all the other complaints and kinks are ironed out soon... new operating system nomnom <3

#19 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Everyone knows the golden rule. Skip every other Microsoft release.

Windows 98 - Good
Windows ME - Bad
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Bad
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Bad and a terrible idea. Forcing a touch interface on a desktop computer. How many people have touchscreen monitors? How many people want a touchscreen monitor? That's what a tablet is for. It's practically a monitor you hold and touch. There is no practical use for Windows 8 on a Desktop PC.

#20 Toxn

Toxn

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3511 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Windows 98 - Good
Windows ME - Bad
Windows 2000 - Good
Windows XP - Bad at launch. Got decent after SP1 and even better after SP2
Windows Vista - Bad. Got usable after SP2
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Good

I dont understand how people keep screaming its forcing you to change. Explorer is still there completely working. I have absolutely nothing against the start screen or metro apps other then restrictions placed on metro apps.

I guess it all comes down to opinions on Windows 8.

Edited by Toxn, 28 October 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#21 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Windows 8 - Bad and a terrible idea. Forcing a touch interface on a desktop computer. How many people have touchscreen monitors? How many people want a touchscreen monitor? That's what a tablet is for. It's practically a monitor you hold and touch. There is no practical use for Windows 8 on a Desktop PC.

Well, they want windows 8 to be a tablet OS too, for the upcoming wave of Windows 8 tablets. Metro is a really nice tablet interface; they took a fundamentally different approach than Apple did, and I have to say, I think their interface has merit. Unfortunately, they made multiple major blunders in the way they welded the two interfaces together, resulting in a very awkward user experience, particularly for users on non-touch devices (though their inclusion of the desktop in WinRT, for only 4 apps all of which microsoft has full control over and could have had run like metro apps, brings that awkward context switch experience to WinRT users as well).

Microsoft can't wait until Win9 to get this mess into shape; they need to get the product into good shape NOW - will they be able to make Win8 good enough in SP1? Only time will tell! It's not technically difficult, but it means some changes in the philosophy of win8. If they don't, there are gonna be some dark days ahead for MS. If win8 is a mess, more people will jump ship to Apple PC's - all while tablets (mostly not running WinRT) continue to surge, further eroding Microsoft's position in the market, which I fear could spook the company into thrashing (while their market share plunges and they become irrelevant).

#22 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Roundbeck

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Well, they want windows 8 to be a tablet OS too, for the upcoming wave of Windows 8 tablets. Metro is a really nice tablet interface; they took a fundamentally different approach than Apple did, and I have to say, I think their interface has merit. Unfortunately, they made multiple major blunders in the way they welded the two interfaces together, resulting in a very awkward user experience, particularly for users on non-touch devices (though their inclusion of the desktop in WinRT, for only 4 apps all of which microsoft has full control over and could have had run like metro apps, brings that awkward context switch experience to WinRT users as well).

Microsoft can't wait until Win9 to get this mess into shape; they need to get the product into good shape NOW - will they be able to make Win8 good enough in SP1? Only time will tell! It's not technically difficult, but it means some changes in the philosophy of win8. If they don't, there are gonna be some dark days ahead for MS. If win8 is a mess, more people will jump ship to Apple PC's - all while tablets (mostly not running WinRT) continue to surge, further eroding Microsoft's position in the market, which I fear could spook the company into thrashing (while their market share plunges and they become irrelevant).

Actually a lot of the gaming group may jump ship into Ubuntu/linux seeing as steam is thinking of setting up shop there.

Edited by HikariYari, 28 October 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#23 iuzDelacroix

iuzDelacroix

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

i haven't used windows 8 yet. i use w7 ultimate and was thinking to upgrade to win8 but according to the comments i read above, im thinking it's not a good idea cause if im gonna have problems with my RO, then i think im better off with win7.

ontopic: if compatibility mode doesn't help you much, just put up your copy of win8 on ebay and go back to win7 :D

#24 IfrianMMO

IfrianMMO

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Why are people complaining about things in W8 that are not true?

You are NOT forced into the "Tablet interface" and you can use your usual desktop/explorer as you always did.
They simply give more choices, with added speed, functionality and features.

By all means you can use it as a faster W7 with new features if you so choose to, but it gives those who prefer and
want a new faster, dynamic interface and those who have touch screens/tablets the choice to use them.

I however agree with DrAzzy on that they need to shape up and try to fix most issues by sp1 or otherwhise the product will get hated on because of the release issues.

It sort of reminds me of the early launch of good mmo´s that due to their initial disasters they never reached the heights they could have due to the bad press and memories of the early players.

Edited by IfrianMMO, 28 October 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#25 Maka

Maka

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Why are people complaining about things in W8 that are not true?

You are NOT forced into the "Tablet interface" and you can use your usual desktop/explorer as you always did.
They simply give more choices, with added speed, functionality and features.

By all means you can use it as a faster W7 with new features if you so choose to, but it gives those who prefer and
want a new faster, dynamic interface and those who have touch screens/tablets the choice to use them.

I however agree with DrAzzy on that they need to shape up and try to fix most issues by sp1 or otherwhise the product will get hated on because of the release issues.

It sort of reminds me of the early launch of good mmo´s that due to their initial disasters they never reached the heights they could have due to the bad press and memories of the early players.

It is forced on you. Yes you can minimize out of it and go to the regular desktop, but the Metro UI will always be presented to you and as it is now there is no way to disable it completely. Besides if you have no plans to use the UI why buy Windows 8? Windows 8 isn't like all the other new OSes. Windows 8 is basically a Windows 7 service pack with the metro UI added to it for tablets. There are no real improvements worth noting.

What reason would a business that just upgraded all their PCs to WIndows 7 have for Windows 8? Apps? Why would I want Apps on my desktop computer anyway? Windows 8 may be good for the tablet PC, but putting it on a desktop just doesn't make any sense to me. I actually plan to get a Surface or variation of it with Windows 8, because Windows 8 looks great.. for tablets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users