Help with Windows 8 + RO - Page 2 - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Windows 8 + RO

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos,Thor

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

Avast is known to false positive on RO, see http://forums.warppo...-with-ragnarok/ for instructions on how to make Avast play nice with RO (without turning it off; turning off AV software is not something you should do except for testing)

how do i find Avast on my computer?

#27 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

BUUUTT i am VERY laggy and i just got stuck on loading screen had to sign off my computer to close RO not attempting to get on again.

im thinking the new windows 8 setup and the apps are gonna make it hard to not be laggy. OMG i can just imagine when it WoE :wah:

Are you trying to play RO in full-screen mode? Another player on Win8 reported that full-screen mode was very laggy, but it was fine in windowed mode.

Open RO setup (run as admin - otherwise the settings won't save right) and set it to run in windowed mode, and see if that improves performance.

There's no good reason that win8 would be slower - Win8 performance is no worse than Win7.

how do i find Avast on my computer?

You don't have it installed.

If you did, and you hadn't configured it to work with RO, the client would not start at all.

#28 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Are you trying to play RO in full-screen mode? Another player on Win8 reported that full-screen mode was very laggy, but it was fine in windowed mode.

Open RO setup (run as admin - otherwise the settings won't save right) and set it to run in windowed mode, and see if that improves performance.

There's no good reason that win8 would be slower - Win8 performance is no worse than Win7.

If you did, and you hadn't configured it to work with RO, the client would not start at all.

thanks its not laggy anymore :)

#29 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

thanks its not laggy anymore :)

Was changing it to windowed mode what fixed it? if so, it sounds like it's safe to say that RO should only be used in windowed mode on Win8

#30 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Was changing it to windowed mode what fixed it? if so, it sounds like it's safe to say that RO should only be used in windowed mode on Win8

yea it was

#31 rramz00

rramz00

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Aaaaah the other player azzy was talking aboutwas ME!!! (School girl squeal) ya running at 1900x1600x8 or 16. I can't remember. And it's practically full screen so I'm happy with it

#32 Lambor

Lambor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1230 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD
  • Server:Chaos - Animosity Leader

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I just bought a brand new laptop and I was very depressed with the performance of it. It's Windows 8 and unfortunately, I had no way to get around it (the only drivers available anywhere are Win8 only).

I've always ran RO in full screen mode and I was lagging like I was on a Pentium II with 56 MB of RAM trying to push HD res. I was about to return the laptop until I found this post. Same resolution, but window mode fixed the problem. Runs amazing now.

Has anybody else found a different way to fix this aside from window mode? Sorry to necro this post, but I'd like to know of any other alternatives rather than having this stupid bar at the top of my screen.

#33 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I bought a Alienware m17x for kicks and those come with Windows 8.

Haven't install RO there since I still use my ASUS for RO (the only game I play lol), but kinda wanna test it out on the m17x, is there a chance that installation and/or performance will be worse than what it is on Windows 7 laptops? So I don't go ahead and install RO on windows 8 lol.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

#34 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I bought a Alienware m17x for kicks and those come with Windows 8.

An Alienware? Sorry to hear that. I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Haven't install RO there since I still use my ASUS for RO (the only game I play lol), but kinda wanna test it out on the m17x, is there a chance that installation and/or performance will be worse than what it is on Windows 7 laptops? So I don't go ahead and install RO on windows 8 lol.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Win8 often requires a little bit more convincing to work with RO, above and beyond what's needed on Windows 7, and full screen doesn't work for a significant portion of users, but in general it can be made to work.

#35 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

An Alienware? Sorry to hear that. I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

How so? I thou it was a pretty good laptop, plus it looks cool >_<

Win8 often requires a little bit more convincing to work with RO, above and beyond what's needed on Windows 7, and full screen doesn't work for a significant portion of users, but in general it can be made to work.

Yah, fullscreen mode its quite laggy... I've decided to use my old Asus (Windows 7) for RO.

#36 celestience

celestience

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1080 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

i think it is laggy because ragnarok is not ment to be played in that 16:8 resolution ? that is currently forced in windows 8. Apparently the new windows blue might fix this as windows 8 does not force the thing to that resolution. However if it does not work you can try boaderless ragnarok which can be found here :D http://forums.irowik...ead.php?t=79244. i just bought a surface and it is otw to me so i might be able to fix some problems? or maybe ask more questions XD

#37 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

1920x1080 is 16:9 - as far as I know, the issue is full screen on windows 8, regardless of resolution.

Win8 blue may or may not fix this

#38 Jairyoku

Jairyoku

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

LoL are you guys apple/windowsXP fanboys or just jerks? I'll be installing my Windows 8 soon, for free. :3

And as slwl1 has mentioned, change the compability. This is a link for how to do that (it seems it's as simple as doing it in Windows 7):
http://www.forumswin...y-mode-5264.htm

Give it a try!

ONMFG aisjgilahaisughasuig IT WORKED auosghiusdghauidgahg I HAVE TO THANK YOU auslghiuasdghasidughasidghasighasouighwauioghasoiughasolgajsiguhasiough'

#39 brokenglish

brokenglish

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

I don't know if this is still relevant, but I wrote my solution here, it's working, surely, I'm pretty sure
http://brokenglish.c...e-on-windows-8/

#40 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thanks, that's a useful link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic