Missing Class Guides! We need your help! - Page 3 - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Missing Class Guides! We need your help!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

RO is a game where min-maxing matters and all a cookie-cutter build is, is a set of numerics where the mins and maxes are already figured out. Anyone arguining against it is using an emotional argument, unfortunately.

Certain classes have their cookie cutters, such as high wizards where the accepted build is 99/99 INT/DEX. What is the cookie cutter build for an Assassin Cross? Which is the "best" build? There isn't one. People get varying amounts of VIT/AGI/DEX. So I would say there is no min-max build for all classes.

#52 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Note: i just updated the Wiki's entry for Biochemist. Took a while :|

Certain classes have their cookie cutters, such as high wizards where the accepted build is 99/99 INT/DEX. What is the cookie cutter build for an Assassin Cross? Which is the "best" build? There isn't one. People get varying amounts of VIT/AGI/DEX. So I would say there is no min-max build for all classes.

All classes have a mathematical sweet spot for what you're trying to accomplish. They may not be determined yet. What you're doing is wishful thinking.

Edited by Jaye, 07 November 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#53 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

All classes have a mathematical sweet spot for what you're trying to accomplish. They may not be determined yet. What you're doing is wishful thinking.

I agree with this, if the character is designed to do one thing and one thing alone. However that is not always the case. Getting more VIT might make you survive better, getting more AGI allows you to break emps faster (using the same sinx example). There is no sweet spot, when killing people you want all VIT and when breaking emps you want copious amounts of AGI. Therefore every build is hybridized so you can accomplish both to varying degrees of success.

Edited by Hrishi, 07 November 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#54 Kawaiiyui

Kawaiiyui

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 702 posts
  • Server:The Amazing Server

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

jaye is right... I often wished that ro would've made the stat system a bit differently so that say STR effected warlocks differently then a swords man.... but alas :c

the way its set up... if want phy atk you max str, hp vit, don't like missing get dex etc etc etc... its too bland... and everything is the same it includes no variety because as much as I hate to admit it... theres... perfect stats for each build, be it max magical damage, or a dragon breath knight... there isn't much ability to be orginal because in doing so... you esentially make your character weaker :\

#55 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

I agree with this, if the character is designed to do one thing and one thing alone. However that is not always the case. Getting more VIT might make you survive better, getting more AGI allows you to break emps faster (using the same sinx example). There is no sweet spot, when killing people you want all VIT and when breaking emps you want copious amounts of AGI. Therefore every build is hybridized so you can accomplish both to varying degrees of success.

If what you are saying is there is a cookie cutter for every type of character design but there are invariably an immeasurable number of unique applications for some characters there could literally be 100 perfect builds-- so therefore listing them is pointless, then yes, I agree to that. But literally, there is a sweet spot for everything you could want to do and that sweet spot could be given to other people as a cookie cutter for exactly what you are doing if they plan to do the same thing.

Everyone's personal preferences are different though. People with higher reaction times can do more glass-cannon-ish stuff, and people with slower reaction times may need more VIT, etc. But there is only so much flex room there, as the stat point system can make it utterly inefficient to wiggle too much outside of the more common setups without diminishing your usefulness even by a few %. It's just how RO is set up.

Edited by Jaye, 07 November 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#56 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

If what you are saying is there is a cookie cutter for every type of character design but there are invariably an immeasurable number of unique applications for some characters there could literally be 100 perfect builds-- so therefore listing them is pointless, then yes, I agree to that.

Pretty much exactly what I'm saying. Of course, people might want to make a character for a specific unique application, in which case there is a "perfect build" for this. In other words, there is a perfect build for a sinx designed to break emps. There is no perfect build for JUST a generic sinx. Many guides simply list out generic cookie cutters with no explanation as to why the build was chosen at all. Also the same cookie cutter might not be applicable for the situation you want your character for!

As for your comment on there being only so much wiggle room, I agree too. This is why when builds are listed out in guides, I would rather builds were simply guidelines (stat ranges, if you will) rather than hard and fast numbers.

#57 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I notice a lot of guides just give the stats at max level. When I give people advice in game I tend to plan for level 90 on 2nd job characters and 140 on 3rd job ones, and let all the remaining stat points be personal preference. By the time someone reaches these levels they should have a good idea of what they want.

#58 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Perhaps all advice are meant to be directed towards an end game? Knowing what would be the goal makes it somehow clear in what do you need in the process to achieve such goal. Then personal preference will kick in as well since they will use their own experience to compensate for the lack of information.

That's meant for players to think for themselves rather than helping them for each step towards 150.

#59 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I notice a lot of guides just give the stats at max level. When I give people advice in game I tend to plan for level 90 on 2nd job characters and 140 on 3rd job ones, and let all the remaining stat points be personal preference. By the time someone reaches these levels they should have a good idea of what they want.

Sorry I'm not a father I don't raise kids I just slap then on the shoulder say go for it and let then do the rest.

VM07: Would you mind not posting like that next time?

Edited by VolunteerMod07, 09 November 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#60 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

As for your comment on there being only so much wiggle room, I agree too. This is why when builds are listed out in guides, I would rather builds were simply guidelines (stat ranges, if you will) rather than hard and fast numbers.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. It's why I only placed stat ranges rather than exact numbers in my own Chaser guide. :v

#61 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Note: i just updated the Wiki's entry for Biochemist. Took a while :|

In case anyone missed it

#62 Agahim

Agahim

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

In case anyone missed it

aren't we desperate? i gave you a +1 for that, you ought to be satisfied with that.

#63 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

I have no idea what you are on about, but thank you for the "+1", whatever that is supposed to mean.

#64 Agahim

Agahim

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I have no idea what you are on about, but thank you for the "+1", whatever that is supposed to mean.

it means i appreciate your work enough to click a button for you once. that's as good as it gets on here.

#65 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

aren't we desperate? i gave you a +1 for that, you ought to be satisfied with that.

Maybe she wants a cookie as well?? Perhaps a cookie cutter?

#66 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I always want a cookie. Who doesn't like cookies???

#67 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I always want a cookie. Who doesn't like cookies???

scooby snacks? lol

#68 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I shall leave the dog food to you, boy.

:petting:

#69 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I shall leave the dog food to you, boy.

:petting:

I thought perhaps it will fancy you =S

#70 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I would say for renewal, most classes do have 2-3 "best" or cookie-cutter builds. I would probably list down the 2-3 most popular builds and explain what pros and cons each one has over the other builds. Don't really know how to encourage new players to learn to play the game and to do their own calculations / tests / builds, but maybe that's what separates the good players from the bad players?

#71 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I would say for renewal, most classes do have 2-3 "best" or cookie-cutter builds. I would probably list down the 2-3 most popular builds and explain what pros and cons each one has over the other builds. Don't really know how to encourage new players to learn to play the game and to do their own calculations / tests / builds, but maybe that's what separates the good players from the bad players?

It would be simple...

Just de-enable Turn Ins... perhaps like that, people will learn a lil bit more about their classes =P

#72 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

I thought perhaps it will fancy you =S

As usual, your thoughts stem from a place unreachable by most, plagued with frightful insanity and diminished intellect.

This is how the guides have been functioning since the beginning of time. I agree with that last sentence a lot.

Edited by Jaye, 08 November 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#73 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Going back up! I'm seeing a few guides popping up now.

#74 Asea

Asea

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

If I get money or something, I would definitely do a Soul Linker guide. But no incentive, suddenly lazy.

#75 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Wait money whattt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users