The Rangers Den - or - "An Archers Guide to Being Awesome" - Archer Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

The Rangers Den - or - "An Archers Guide to Being Awesome"

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Looks like we're in need of a Ranger Guide that is a bit more up to date than irowiki. Anything you guys can help me fill out would be stellar! I know it needs a bunch of formatting and images as right now it looks like a wall of text. I'll be mostly doing this while at work, so bear with me.

Disclaimer! The information that is found below is from my own personal experience and will be updated with additional information from other players. This is in no way meant to tell you how to play, but to tell you about the ins and outs of the class and what they excel at all the while pointing you in the right direction.

~~~~~~~~~~Most of this is incomplete as I'm getting placeholders in first!~~~~~~~~~~~~

Table of Contents
1. Introduction!
2. Skills! Pre-Reqs, Bath and Beyond!
3. What should I turn into a pin-cushion? (Where do I level?)
4. Ranger Builds
  • 4.1 - Trap Ranger
  • 4.2 - Arrow Storm Ranger
  • 4.3 - ASPD Ranger / Auto Warg
  • 4.4 - Manual Warg
5. (Reserved)
6. (Reserved)
7. (Reserved)

1. Introduction!
Rangers - Masters of the bow and long range combat, no other class can match their prowess in ranged physical combat! Quite possibly the best PvM/PvE class in Renewal since the Balance Patch. PVP and WoE... not so much, but we do it as best as we can and still do a decent job at it. We can kill large numbers of things with a single skill and generaly in only one cast. Everyone and their pet Jejeling has a Ranger, they are very popular and for good reason.

2. Skills! Pre-Reqs, Bath and Beyond! (Under Construction)

If you've made it this far, I probably don't need to tell you all about the various skills found within the Archer and Hunter/Sniper tree. So lets get onto the skills and their pre-reqs for Rangers. Click the links for a more in-depth explination of the skills of this class.

Aimed Bolt - A Pre-requisite for Arrow Storm. Useful if a trap Ranger, otherwise just points that need to be spent.

Arrow Storm - This is the main skill used by Rangers to level. At Max Level it covers an 11x11 area and does 1800% ATK before any modifiers. (More to be added.)

Ranger Main / Main Ranger - Only Level 1 of this skill is needed to fulfill any pre-reqs. The added damage and damage reduction is a flat number, not a percentage. Getting more than Lv. 1 of this is considered a waste.

Camouflage - Boosts your damage the longer you stay within it (Full effect after 10 seconds),
however is canceled once your are hit (Insects, Undead, Demons, Bosses can still see you) or if you single target an enemy. Any other skill that reveals hidden will also bring you out of Camouflage.

(RESERVED FOR MORE DATA!!!)

3. What should I turn into a Pin-cushion? (Where should I level?)

So you've picked up your first bow and set of quivers. Now its time to get ready to shoot things, as thats what you'll end up doing best. Don't get discouraged, you're going to take a while to kill things for the first few levels. Once you break out of the 20's and make your
way to the 30's it gets faster and easier. There are several different ways to level, depending on the build you plan on playing as a Hunter/Sniper and finally Ranger. Below you'll find the layout of where to level to 99 as an AGI/DEX ASPD build.

Note: This is assuming that you will be starting off in Payon and not any of the other cities as your "Home".

Getting your self to 70 is your first goal, as that allows you to join the large party TI's and makes the 70-99 climb much easier.

10-30 - This can be done by killing Spores, Boas and Stemworms up to level 15 and moving South to Bigfoots and Caramels to 24~26. From there, head back North and go East once more. Elder Willows will take a bit of a beating before dying, but will take you past Level 30.

31-45 - Orc Village or Byalan Dungeon. Both are rather populus and are excellent areas to grind. Byalans' only danger is level 4 because of Waterball.

46-60+ - Payon Caves Level 3 & 4 or Byalan Dungeon Level 4 & 5 to 60-65.

60-70 - Really the best suggestion is going to be Geographers, North and a few maps West of Al De Baran. Otherwise, head south from Al De Baran to Agriopes.

70+ Is where you'll start doing Turn-ins. These are instanced zones meant for groups of 8 or more. Each class will have different roles, even if you can't do AOEs. As a Hunter, you'll more than likely be relagated to clean-up duty. The Wizards will be doing the lion's share of the work. Helping out the group by killing off the strays that wander in or aren't killed by the Wizards will make the instance go much quicker and will take a lot of pressure off of your party's healers. Otherwise, Arrow Shower will do some damage, although not much. If you don't plan on paying for VIP, I'd hold onto any Eden Merit Badges you get. Being able to turn them in for 3-Day VIP after you Rebirth will help.

70+ While not doing TI's - You'll want to head towards Glast Heim or Turtle Island. Glast Heim will take you to 95 easily, with your fight starting at Earth Petities, which are found just outside of Glast Heim, which will carry you into your 80s; the perfect time to head into the Abbey and Churchyard. Turtle Island is a bit harder, but with the right gear you should be able to handle it.

Some time later~~ Congrats! You've hit 99/50. Don't get too used to that aura as its going away.

Transcendent Novice > High Archer - Now comes the hard part. You'll hit job 10 easily enough as a Novice, but base levels will take a while to gather. At least with the increased stats from Transcendance you should be able to get your stats in a good poisition to transfer straight to Bow and Arrow.

(Reserved for Rebirth)

4. Ranger Builds!

As a Ranger, you have three possible ways of playing. Each have their own benefits and problems. Below you'll find each build and their inherent Pros & Cons.

4.1 - Trap Ranger
(Need Input)
STR - ?
AGI - ?
INT - ?
VIT - ?
DEX - ?
LUK - ?

Equipment -
(Reserved)

4.2 - Arrow Storm

The Rangers wheel-house to 150/50. This build is all about laying out the maximum damage you possibly can, constantly for as long as possible. It is very gear dependent, but does have wiggle room. Once you get your INT and VIT to a spot you find comfortable, the rest of your stats are upto you to decide where they go.

STR - 1
AGI - ??
INT - 75-95+
VIT - 75-95+
DEX - 120
LUK - ??

4.3 - Attack Speed / Auto Warg -

Think of this as a new age Falcon Hunter/Sniper. Its suggested you wait until 150 to turn into this build as solo target leveling is not the way to level anymore in Renewal. This will get you the max attack speed with the correct gears + buffs (193 ASPD).

STR - ?
AGI - ?
INT - ?
VIT - ?
DEX - ?
LUK - ?

Equipment -
(Reserved)

4.4 - Manual Warg

A unique Ranger build that focuses on sending manual Warg Strikes at enemy instead of relying on Auto-warg strike. It is more PvP/WoE build and with high STR, you can get higher Warg damage especially with Warg Bite. Unlike other Ranger builds, this one does not rely on White Wing Set and is much more durable with higher HP, defense, as well as reductions since the build uses a shield. - Credit: CeruleanGamer

STR - 90~100+
AGI - 90~100+
INT - 1
VIT - 100~110+
DEX - 70~80
LUK - 30~50

Equipment -
(Reserved)

Edited by Lynex, 07 November 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#2 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

(RESERVED)

Edited by Lynex, 05 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#3 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

(Reserved)

Edited by Lynex, 05 November 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

(RESERVED)

Edited by Lynex, 05 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#5 JChino

JChino

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Need some help?i can put my input on things :) mostly leveling spots woe builds aspd build and um ways to farm i guess to get rangers started or to improve

#6 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Anything helps.

#7 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

3.2 - Arrow Storm

STR - 1
AGI - 60~90+
INT - 40~90+
VIT - 60~90+
DEX - 120
LUK - 30~60

3.3 - Attack Speed / Auto Warg -

STR - 1
AGI - 90+
INT - 1
VIT - 60~90+
DEX - 120
LUK - 60+

I believe this pretty accurately looking for in the status builds.

#8 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

How dare you not add the Manual Warg Ranger build?! It is far more superior than any build you just listed in here. <_<

#9 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

How dare you not add the Manual Warg Ranger build?! It is far more superior than any build you just listed in here. <_<

Might help to provide him with the build information so he can add it in.

Posted Image

#10 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

3.4 - Manual Warg

A unique Ranger build that focuses on sending manual Warg Strikes at enemy instead of relying on Auto-warg strike. It is more PvP/WoE build and with high STR, you can get higher Warg damage especially with Warg Bite. Unlike other Ranger builds, this one does not rely on White Wing Set and is much more durable with higher HP, defense, as well as reductions since the build uses a shield.

STR - 90~100+
AGI - 90~100+
INT - 1
VIT - 100~110+
DEX - 70~80
LUK - 30~50

Edited by CeruleanGamer, 05 November 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#11 kasshin

kasshin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3686 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

3.2 - Arrow Storm

STR - 1
AGI - 60~90+
INT - 40~90+
VIT - 60~90+
DEX - 120
LUK - 30~60

Doe 60 agi actually help an arrow storm build at all? Maybe for some status resistances or for WoE reasons. To me it seems agi should either be at 1 (pure arrow storm) or something like at least 80-90 where it actually helps with your flee and aspd. Just my suggestion to set it to "1 or 80-90+" instead.

#12 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Doe 60 agi actually help an arrow storm build at all? Maybe for some status resistances or for WoE reasons. To me it seems agi should either be at 1 (pure arrow storm) or something like at least 80-90 where it actually helps with your flee and aspd. Just my suggestion to set it to "1 or 80-90+" instead.

Its very good when your alone on a Ranger after you Arrow Storm you will be on delay and with some attack speed you will be able to finish off your opponent instead of running away or just simply dieing. I've had a Ranger back in the day that thought only Arrow Storming was a great idea his Arrow Storm brought me down to exactly 1 HP and since he didn't auto-attack I killed him in no time at all before he could even get off another Arrow Storm.

Edited by Riakuta, 06 November 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#13 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Its all a work in progress! I've only heard about Manual Warging just recently. D:

I'm not at work yet, so I can't update it at all.

3.3 - Attack Speed / Auto Warg -

STR - 1
AGI - 90+
INT - 1
VIT - 60~90+
DEX - 120
LUK - 60+

I believe this pretty accurately looking for in the status builds.

^ I don't see how that build has anywhere near 193 ASPD.

Edited by Lynex, 06 November 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#14 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Trap Rangers.

Rangers have superior maneuverability and Trap skills compared to Hunters and Snipers. The use of camouflage and Warg riding allows Rangers to ambush and retreat before the enemy can counterattack. Rangers can also use Detonators to explode their traps to inflict maximum damage against their foes. (Description of the ranger on iRO main site)

Unlike all the other types of ranger, a trapper fights by close range. Trapping is not usually good due to the low defense the class brings, but with the correct equipment, you can pretty much smash any monster. They were the best build of Rangers when they first were implemented, but corrections in the skills made the build a bit weaker... Though never underestimate traps.

STR - 60~90
AGI - 40
VIT - 90+
INT - 100+
DEX - 100+
LUK - 1

To survive as a pure trapper ranger, you must use high defense gear, so no White Wing. Black Wing set is not recommended either, there are better gears if you plan to fight via perfect dodge, the main and only point of that set. Equipments giving high INT or DEX are most important than attack, so if you ever get a +10 DEX or a +10 INT "Keris", it's the most effective weapon for a trapper ranger.

Strategy: Fire Trap is more effective than Ice Trap, due to better spamability. Fight Earth monsters when possible. When you can't, Maize Trap them, changing their element to Earth.

Edited by asayuu, 06 November 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#15 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Posting from my phone, in line to vote. Looks like I've got more to add.

#16 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Its all a work in progress! I've only heard about Manual Warging just recently. D:

I'm not at work yet, so I can't update it at all.

^ I don't see how that build has anywhere near 193 ASPD.

When using Warg Bite you will want to use a Performer for optimal performance. Dances with Wargs will increase your attack speed by up to 30% & will stack with Swing Dance for an easy amazing 193 ASPD with as little as possible AGI to maintain the highest optimal damage output from DEX. Not to mention using Dances with Wargs will increase the damage of Warg Bite by up to 7x. Ex. Warg Bite does 6k Damage on Average with a full party of performers and Dances with Wargs, Warg Bite will do an astounding 42k Damage (6k x 7) on Average!

#17 foxySox

foxySox

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

My trapper build is a bit different than from what posted, so here it is.

Str 1
Agi 100
Vit 100
Dex 100
Int 100
Luk whatever's left

This stat build will you give you around 1.9k so and 27k HP, ungeared. The agi is for fire trapping speed, since the animation delay is affected by your aspd. You're also immune to silence, stun, and bleed!

Skills:
Trap research 5
Bomb cluster 5
Fire trap 5
Detonator 1
Maize trap 1
Warg Ride 1 at least, 3 is recommended.
Then whatever else you want.

Equipment:
Top headgear: Rideword Hat (+9'd is better, but any is good)
Mid headgear: Personal choice
Lower headgear: Persona choice
Armor: Elemental Armor when needed, otherwise I use a Glorious Suit for the extra HP
Weapon: Quad malicious main gauche (4x hunter fly cards)
Shield: Properly carded racial reduction shield depending on where you're leveling at. Hodremlin shield would also come in handy.
Garment: Immune Niddhogur's Shadow Garb (Raydric card; higher upgraded, the better)
Shoes: Variants

As for accessories, it's personal preference. I swap among several different ones.

This is my exact ranger build, and it works well for me. Its tanky, and with the right gears you get around 40k HP and about 2.4k SP. It can also double as an Arrow Storm build if you use a white wing set and elven bow.

Play style:

I prefer to ride on my warg and mob up a decent sized mob. (The bigger the mob, the more chances you have for your Rideword and dagger to proc!) And then spam fire trap underneath it. I don't reccomend using Ice trap (and I personally don't even have it) since its not spammable like fire trap is. With fire trap, you're limited I what you can level on since it's now fire property. If you do end up somewhere where there's fire element monsters, throw down a maize trap first then feel free to fire trap then.

Bomb Cluster is also good for any monsters that aren't ghost. However you can't put it underneath a monster so make sure you get your mob to a somewhat open space where you can put 3 down and then use detonate to explode them. *Word of caution: bomb cluster will NOT proc your Rideword hat or hunter fly cards. I only use this if Im mvp'ing certain monsters, as it is quite finicky to get used to.*

Edited by foxySox, 06 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#18 Lynex

Lynex

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

So these are both based upon having a specific group setup?

Edit - Ohhh, more stuff to put in the guide! I'm still stuck in line to vote D:

Edited by Lynex, 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#19 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

So these are both based upon having a specific group setup?

For Warg Bite without the group set up is like telling a Dragon Breather to never use a Tao Gunka Card :P. Its to insane to go without :D!

Note: Avidly dieing from Warg Bite since last month.

Edited by Riakuta, 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#20 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Detail: Ice Trap is a WOE skill, not PVM, due to the horrible higher delay, can't be spammed. It's more like "drop a trap, see everyone statused, RUN"

#21 sofico

sofico

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • Server:New Chaos

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

3.2 - Arrow Storm

STR - 1
AGI - 60~90+
INT - 40~90+
VIT - 60~90+
DEX - 120
LUK - 30~60

I have 76 agi on my pure AS ranger and it does absolutely nothing! I don't flee anything and my 183 aspd is kind of stupid.

alternative:

STR - 1
AGI - 1
INT - 80~100+
VIT - 60~90+
DEX - 120
LUK - 30-60+ or 77
for people that want to take advantage of an Arcangeling slotted mid gear (and never need magnificat. I did a 2 man TI party before with a tank. With 100 int I run out of sp and need pots once in a while. With AA I would NEVER need pots. Seriously, like EVER! Biggest mistake of my life not getting 77 luk and getting 76 agi)

Also, Str ~30 isnt so bad, It is cheap in terms of stat points needed and adds a lot of weight - for people who don't want to use money on a heavy lifter.

Edited by sofico, 06 November 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#22 Azyrk

Azyrk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1884 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

my hybrid..

STR - 89
AGI - 115
INT - 54
VIT - 17
DEX - 96
LUK - 61

#23 Pres

Pres

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

These guides are embarrassing

#24 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

my hybrid..

STR - 89
AGI - 115
INT - 54
VIT - 17
DEX - 96
LUK - 61

Build is totally legit.......

at making people laugh.

#25 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Build is totally legit.......

at making people laugh.

Well, not really, but it sounds much like a build with no stated purpose. It's like, you can do anything... and suck at everything. No VIT so it's a PVM-only build, low INT, and no 77 luk for archangeling for SP regen so not optimized for camouflage-storm solo hunting.

The severely LOW int would hinder trapping badly... pretty much that "hybrid" build an "autowarg with other stats".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users