Is this game worth playing? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Is this game worth playing?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TaigaShimizu

TaigaShimizu

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

After getting bored of MapleStory over a year ago, I've been looking for a f2p mmorpg that filled the void. I finally figured that Ragnarok, being a classic, might be worth looking into.

Right now, it's between Ragnarok Online and Dragon Nest, and before I make my final decision, I need the input of the Ragnarok community because I have a few questions:

1. How is the Ragnarok community these days? Friendly? Rude? Somewhere in between? Will a newbie like me have trouble fitting into the community?

2. How many people still play Ragnarok these days? (The North American MapleStory servers average about 20,000 players on a typical evening, and I'd prefer an mmo that's at least as active, if not more so.)

3. How long would it take me to reach a level where I can join a respectable guild?

4. If you've been playing for a while, then I want to hear your honest opinion on the game. What do you like, and what do you hate? Are you still playing just because it's nostalgic, or because the game actually stands the test of time?

#2 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

1) For the most part I think the community is fine. There are a few people I'd rather not be seeing on a regular basis but hey, what MMO doesn't have people like that? As long as you're not of the troll-variety, I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in.

2) We recently had a merge and there seems to usually be 1.5-2k+ players on at any given time, although I'm not sure what % of that number are actually players and not vend slaves/etc. Regardless, I think it's pretty active without being overbearing. I think the lag would be pretty horrid if we ever had 20k people on, haha.

3) Leveling is pretty damn easy, even if you don't know what you're doing. If you do know what you're doing (there are plenty of guides around, and you can also ask fellow players) it probably won't take longer then a week or two, depending on how dedicated you are. That's getting to level ~100, anyways. It gets a bit slower after that but with our leveling, um, system (kill 800 monsters for a big chunk of EXP) it's still pretty easy to level past that.

4) I've been playing for a good 6+ years or so, on and off. I'll admit I came back initially because of nostalgia, but that isn't the reason I stay. I think overall it's a pretty great game, although there are certain aspects that royally piss me off (especially as of late) but overall I think the vibe the game has is much better then other MMORPGs I've played. It kind of sucks that it's taken a bit of a pay2win route, but if you're willing to work hard on making in-game $ you could easily keep on top of the ball without spending much, or any, real life money.

Edited by Alaska, 30 December 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#3 Renzetsu

Renzetsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHollow Land
  • Server:The Only One Now

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

You can honestly join any Guild regardless of level, it just depends on the Guild leader. Some are more generous than others on willing to help newer people. I'm still somewhat new and I'm almost my second level 100 character.

#4 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hey, been here maybe 2 years, just returned recently.

1.I have played countless MMOs and RO seems to have an incredibly helpful community. You'll even seen a pinned thread in the community forum of volunteer players whose only purpose is to help new incoming players.

2.Renewal has roughly 3000 players, many are botting or vending, but because of the size of the game world 3000 players is a fairly healthy level, you're not going to struggle to find parties (at least after 70) because of Gramps Turn Ins.

3.Don't let anyone tell you different, you must be level 100 to join a serious active guild. Being level 100 means you can help with Gramps TIs and guild vs guild battes(WoE) Don't let anyone tell you different.

4.A lot A LOT of people are vested in Ragnarok, they have the best gears, cards, and billions of zenny. They have invested thousands of real dollars in cash shop and have played easily 5+ years. There's still people that managed to break the learning curve so to speak and get a foot hold in the game. Honestly there are not a lot of new players anymore, even though Classic brought back a lot of retirees.

Seriously if you want to play you're going need to some help. Learn the places to level, learn what drops can give you a little spending zenny, learn what classes are very forgiving for a new player, learn about Gramps, Eden, WoE. If you'd, like a guide I can help, even though there are other players with a lot more resources.
Basically people level before gramps with manuals, VIP, Mercs, Hugel Medals, blast clips, and or basic leeching. I assure you anyone with serious resources is not going to Byalan and killing one monster at a time for Eden turn ins.

#5 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9785 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

the most important part of any good game is having fun and this game is plenty fun... you can join guilds at any level tho some of the bigger guilds have restrictions as to level and whatnot... so join a smaller guild at first and who knows you may enjoy it if not nobody forces you to stay and you can move on to a bigger guild as your skills/level improve...

#6 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

no dont, if u playing this ragnarok u will become addicted to it like me i can't even quit from it =_= been playing it for about 6-7 years and still playing it sigh =_=

#7 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

"respectable guild" lool, there's no such thing on this server,

#8 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9785 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

not respectable? how are ALL the guilds not respectable? there are some guilds that are quite decent... really its all dependent on the guild leader being active and aware of his guildies actions and curbing bad behavior

#9 IronPlushy

IronPlushy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1747 posts
  • Server:Between Servers

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

A LOT of guilds are full of alts and no one is ever on, been through like 8 such guilds. Need to join a larger active guild which can be extremely difficult for a new player.

#10 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9785 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

i hear that... everybody in my guild is an alt but me... so i clean house every month or so...

#11 SergioSSA1LER

SergioSSA1LER

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

It's a pretty cool game, most of the community are really nice people except for some e-youknowwhat, and are willing to help everyone who asks for an advice, WoE it's awesome, and there are a lot of jobs, so you can be whatever you want, if you want an easy start to see what's going on, start on renewal, like Alaska said. But if you want a real challenge, try classic.
Just one thing, don't expect much from the GM team.

#12 Magefist

Magefist

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 953 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA
  • Server:Classic

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Classic RO is a decent game to play now. There are way too many cheaters in Renewal.

#13 TheKraven

TheKraven

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1135 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Valk

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Lots of illegit players and guilds even at high levels now...

#14 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

It's a pretty cool game, most of the community are really nice people except for some e-youknowwhat, and are willing to help everyone who asks for an advice, WoE it's awesome, and there are a lot of jobs, so you can be whatever you want, if you want an easy start to see what's going on, start on renewal, like Alaska said. But if you want a real challenge, try classic.
Just one thing, don't expect much from the GM team.

The GM team pretty much operates from the background most of the time. They rely on community helpers to operate in game events.

#15 SergioSSA1LER

SergioSSA1LER

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

The GM team pretty much operates from the background most of the time. They rely on community helpers to operate in game events.

I was about to say something about the GMs but we all know how "good" they are.

#16 Baturiano

Baturiano

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 3058 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

The community (in general) is fine, sure you will see some elitist here and there but you will always have those on any MMO. Chatting up with people here is the good part. People share stories and you can keep talking for hours especially on an active guild

#17 Bestie

Bestie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

2.Renewal has roughly 3000 players, many are botting or vending, but because of the size of the game world 3000 players is a fairly healthy level, you're not going to struggle to find parties (at least after 70) because of Gramps Turn Ins.

Thats not at all true ^_^

#18 GinaKay

GinaKay

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

1. Forum-wise, pretty much everyone is friendly and helpful. In game, well idk. It feels like ksing isn't a big deal since a lot of people do it anyway, and occasionally you run into rude people, but hey that happens in every MMO. So overall it's a decent community, and even with its cons it's still tolerable.

2. On a typical evening we have about 2-2.5k online players in Renewal, and 1.5-2k on Classic Loki. Some of those are bots though, which I dare not guess how much. Btw are you sure MS has about 20k players on a typical evening? I played a few months ago and the bigger servers like Scania, Bera and Windia would only have about 1-2k, and the rest have less than 1k, even with the current GAZED and CMYK alliance.

3. Probably 100+, but even at a low level you can still find a small comfy guild that would be just right for you. Guilds in RO really feel like true families.

4. Been playing for like 7+ years on and off, and it's hard for me to say what keeps making me come back really. I like plenty of things in RO, like the classes, the sprites, artwork, overall Norse mythological design, the BGMs, monsters, towns, etc... The only thing I hate about RO is position lag. lmao

#19 Pooru

Pooru

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationsouthern california

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

1. definitely wont have a problem getting help long as your polite (if you need some assistance throw a pm to "Pooru Prime / Sir Pooru" I'll help out) as far as rudeness or politeness etc every community has its outcast monkey group that causes bananas so if you dont have a problem taking certain things with a grain of salt you'll definitely enjoy the game you once played

2. people stated above 2k+ again not sure of statistics (Heimdallr/Oda I'd actually like to see the statistics of how many players are vending opposed to playing to get a good idea of how healthy the community is)

3. different guilds have different goals just depends where you'd like to land i.e. mvp, sociable, grind, troll, woe, pvp, dramaqueening (havent come across any so far thankfully)

4. playing mainly cause of a brother of mine convinced me to give it a shot again and this time taking up a different classpath (A whole new world persay /lul) so it should be an interesting run. Honestly though my opinion should not influence yours rather if you wanna give it a shot, go for it, and if it doesnt work out it isnt hard to uninstall the game either case the only thing you'd lose is sleep (if you get addicted) or perhaps your credit card ( pay to winnnnnnnnnnnnn) all that aside RO is still around because its still a fun game.

#20 GinaKay

GinaKay

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

4. playing mainly cause of a brother of mine convinced me to give it a shot again and this time taking up a different classpath (A whole new world persay /lul)

Was your main an LK/RK?

#21 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

The community is, for the most part, pretty helpful. If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask and someone will likely help you out.

Renewal will be much harder to get started it since the servers just merged and it's just... Old. People have tons and tons of stuff. Classic is a newer server, and while it's much harder to level, it should be easier to start out on.

The "top tier" guilds probably won't take you until you're almost maxed since you're new to the game, but there are plenty of smaller, more friendly guilds that will happily take anyone... Though they may not be as active. =P

Usually around 1k players on at a time. Rest are bots / vendors.

The game is definitely old... And still around, which means it's simply fun. =P There's always something to do. Max one character, make another, hunt for gear, MVP, WoE, whatever. Classic will probably keep you occupied for far longer, though, since it takes months to max a character whereas you can do it on Renewal in weeks. =X

#22 Onis

Onis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

Play Dragon Nest first. It's a great game with fun gaming techniques - but you'll be looking into for something else in few months, since it doesn't really have much content asides from the battling. It's also kinda difficult to make any contact to people in that game due to instances.

1. RO community has both ends. You have people who are usually on their good days and help everyone in the best way they can - and then you have people who are on their worst days of their life who just want to ruin everyone else's life. I rarely see anything in the middle.
You should have no problem getting into the community.

2. Doesn't matter, there's more people who you'll be interacting than you'd be interacting on, say, World of Warcraft. The main point is that the game offers a lot and you'll find friends to share that with you.

3. Level doesn't matter if you're going for a fun leveling guild first. The rest will probably want to see some level requirement, but most guilds will take you in if you explain you're new. New blood is good for most guilds.
Just be careful of certain things... ie. if the Guild Master seems overly possessive (ie. everyone that left the guild is somehow a "bad" person) or if the guild seems to have a style that doesn't fit you... ie. if you're a serious gamer looking for pvp it's unlikely you'll have fun in a guild that promotes being cute and friendly with everyone. If you're a very honest person, it's unlikely you'll enjoy a guild that uses methods that are very much on the gray area or worse.
Don't be afraid to quit a guild and try another one. The people you play with changes the game a lot.

4. I don't play anymore. I went to GW2, because it fixes a lot of problems that MMO's generally have. RO is fun, you get friends, you always find something to do... but I got tired of some in-game drama and how things were handled by the GM team. The GM's are a good bunch, but for the last half year there's been some weird decisions.

#23 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

This game has a little bit of everything for everyone, so I would highly recommend playing the game. They have made the game a lot more user friendly for new players from what I have observed. I've met many new players who doesn't even speak English and somehow managed to pick up the nicks and stricks from the game. Overall I think that this game is great for new players, returning players, but not old veterans. Us old veterans get nerf all the time so our characters, gears, and build types have to be constantly updated. New players should not have any problem enjoying the PVM aspect of the game. So yes give it a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users