[Discussion] Royal Guard F2P Non-OCP Build possible? - Swordsman Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Discussion] Royal Guard F2P Non-OCP Build possible?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSunbear

CaptainSunbear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:29 PM

I was wondering about the viability of building an RG that uses absolutely no OCP equipment for it's builds and leveling. 

What are the drawbacks to  starting  from 1/1 Novice to 175/60 Royal Guard and not use any OCP?

Where does Royal Guard fall short in terms of damage and what are the nuisances of the class when dealing with different types of enemies?

What makes a good Royal Guard based on it's skills, utility and Non-OCP equipment obtainable in-game.

To clarify: No Cash Shop gear utilized and we limit things at purchasing Enriched Ores for refines and basic QoLs like Gym passes or purchasing VIP from players. In other words, stuff that I can Only obtain if I purchase from other players that is NOT Equipment.

Thanks in advance

#2 Leonchascon

Leonchascon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:50 PM

Well people leveled and did this fine prior to OCP so I dont even understand why you are asking if its viable

RG biggest weakness on early game (99-125~) is that it needs a lot of skills points because you really want in a solo leveling non ocp scenario moonslasher + overbrand or overbrand + cannon spear, you can even find videos of the combo from like 10 years ago.

As a melee class also suffers from not having enough hit sometimes but nothing that vespers cores cant fix.

For the gear 

Cursed book since by your rules rideword hat is out of the question and bio5 hat once 170+

mid + low anything really, probably a fin helm + iron cain or upgraded fin helm since thats from reno

any armor with evil druid or earth deleter card since RG is sp intensive 

imperial spear + valkyrie shield or long horn when fighting shadow monsters

niddy garment or GFSS with variants or temporal boots

vesper cores/the accesory from continental guard quest that gives hit with snowier cards or similar cards 

I leveled fine back in early 201X with this gear so i dont see what the issue would be now days 

#3 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:55 PM

Surely it can be done.

https://irowiki.org/wiki/Royal_Guard

Just disregard the cash shop equips.

#4 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10996 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:25 AM

Yes I leveled my RG with Eden gears all the way to 150. It's very possible but back then, people weren't so power hungry and they didnt mind if you did low damages.

Playing RG is not easy. It has many weaknesses and limitations, but you can do it.

Can I know why you wanna make a RG though? The future is not bright. I'm saying this as a true RG main player.

#5 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:35 AM

You can try out Rapid Smiting if you don't want to use any OCP. It's been buffed by the new skill balance patch and should be strong enough without any of the OCP buffs. The challenge is to find enough delay reduction to spam it without using OCP. The easiest way is to use the kiel mvp cards of course (but i'm not sure if no mvp is part of the challenge you're up to).

#6 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10996 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:43 AM

gYejQnm.jpg

While it may scale with base level, I dont think it will be better than a classic VP/OB set up, esp. it's a single target. Though, tbh, I dont remember anymore how much VP my first RG did ... lol, so it might be good. Hmm ... there is var. cast time.

Range mod. and converter work very well with RS.

#7 awesomegeek

awesomegeek

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1629 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:40 AM

Using RG without Earth Drive+Shield Ring is annoying in maps like Faceworm nest, N. Toy Factory & Turn Ins.
Overbrand is effectively a one cell AOE, although has a really long range but very linear.
It is also very POS BUG prone which drives me crazy.
Same goes to Cannon Spear. In ET though, these are very good skills.

tldr: RG is a very linear class. Earth Drive is its only wide AOE skill.

When doing ET, its very hard relying solely on Gungnir's 25% perfect hit.

#8 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:00 AM

it just needs some getting used to, but cannon spear and overbrand are both very good. Also remember to deactivate Guard when leveling/mobbing as you don't deal damage for the time frame when it procs.

#9 CaptainSunbear

CaptainSunbear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

Well people leveled and did this fine prior to OCP so I dont even understand why you are asking if its viable

RG biggest weakness on early game (99-125~) is that it needs a lot of skills points because you really want in a solo leveling non ocp scenario moonslasher + overbrand or overbrand + cannon spear, you can even find videos of the combo from like 10 years ago.

As a melee class also suffers from not having enough hit sometimes but nothing that vespers cores cant fix.
For the gear

Cursed book since by your rules rideword hat is out of the question and bio5 hat once 170+
mid + low anything really, probably a fin helm + iron cain or upgraded fin helm since thats from reno
any armor with evil druid or earth deleter card since RG is sp intensive
imperial spear + valkyrie shield or long horn when fighting shadow monsters
niddy garment or GFSS with variants or temporal boots
vesper cores/the accesory from continental guard quest that gives hit with snowier cards or similar cards

I leveled fine back in early 201X with this gear so i dont see what the issue would be now days

Oh, I’m more than certain it can be done, there’s really no issue with that, though I should also clarify that by Discussion in the title it’s also about receiving input from the RG community here on iRO.

You did mention videos of these combos from 10+ years ago, I also hadn’t noticed anything like it for the recent years. Seems we had the same idea with relatively decent and useful equipment for RG, also had other ideas in terms of gears.
Great insight in the first paragraph too by the way, I really, enjoyed reading your response thank you!

#10 Leonchascon

Leonchascon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

Fuyukikun here on the forums (same guy that made the speed leveling guide) made this video

And the videos and topics im referencing even had the diagrams of the canon spear area and a bunch of math and theory crafting stuff, they are probably still there, some others are from when renewal was first lunched so probably lost or on the irowiki forums archive if it still exist 

10 years + was definitely a bit exaggerated on my part but not in a misleading way since we are on 2020 and this videos are from early 2010-2015, Fuyukikun's video is "recent" being only from 2017

Edited by Leonchascon, 05 May 2020 - 08:51 AM.

#11 CaptainSunbear

CaptainSunbear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

Yes I leveled my RG with Eden gears all the way to 150. It's very possible but back then, people weren't so power hungry and they didnt mind if you did low damages.
Playing RG is not easy. It has many weaknesses and limitations, but you can do it.
Can I know why you wanna make a RG though? The future is not bright. I'm saying this as a true RG main player.

gYejQnm.jpg

While it may scale with base level, I dont think it will be better than a classic VP/OB set up, esp. it's a single target. Though, tbh, I dont remember anymore how much VP my first RG did ... lol, so it might be good. Hmm ... there is var. cast time.

Range mod. and converter work very well with RS.

Well, Royal Guard seemed like a fun class regardless of the limitations it holds. Why make RG? I read mentions about how they needed OCPs in other threads and it made me wonder how difficult it was to actually play Royal Guard without using those equips and taking a more “non-cash shop” approach

#12 BraveCloud

BraveCloud

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationMidgard
  • Server:Chaos/Poring

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

May I know what is the stats and skills build?

Is this a decent build?

Skills

https://irowiki.org/...Aafbn1qsadkDak1

Stats

http://calc.irowiki....euXn5eKrsEAAA==

Edited by BraveCloud, 05 May 2020 - 05:17 PM.

#13 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10996 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

Well, Royal Guard seemed like a fun class regardless of the limitations it holds. Why make RG? I read mentions about how they needed OCPs in other threads and it made me wonder how difficult it was to actually play Royal Guard without using those equips and taking a more “non-cash shop” approach

https://www.youtube....h?v=Bpl-9rdDSZY

Since I removed my videos on Nog 2. This video is as closest one as I can find. I personally used to use ... Cannon spear and OB. Most of the time the combo should finish off mobs. I only remember getting Str 120 and Temp Str boot and FAW EA 10 I used (EA > FS for this set up, imo).

It's not the hardest but it's quite hard as it takes time to line up mobs for CS, then some practice to land OB properly. As Ash mentioned, dont use Guard. That's for PvP/WoE or when you use RG as a tanker. When Guard proc, it makes you lag and can make your OB miss.

#14 Jeneeus

Jeneeus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • LocationEden Kitchen
  • Server:Anti-Chaos

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:53 PM

You can opt to use Thanatos Spear when you reach level 120 to save you from using potions. You may also use Illusion Sacred Mission to prevent your shield from breaking.

I leveled up my RG using these gears in NCT before OCPs and even Bounty Boards in Alde are introduced:

Upper: Willow-carded Pirate Folly (from an event)

Middle: Improved Opera Mask (ATK+5)

Lower: Any

Armor: +4 Deadly Meteor Plate STR+3

Weapon: +7 Malicious Thanatos Spear

Shield: +7 Sacred Mission (since Illusion Dungeon were non-existent at that time)

Garment: +7 Immune Niddhoggur's Shadow Garb

Boots: +6 Temp STR FS BP

Accessory: Bakonawa Tattoo and Phen Bradium Ring

No shadow equips since they were cash shop items back then. Also most of my gears are +7 since there are certs that can be farmable.

#15 BraveCloud

BraveCloud

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationMidgard
  • Server:Chaos/Poring

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

Is it possible to remove enhant for eden spear?

accidently choose the wrong enhance

Increased heal (+3%) enchantment or increase damage or increased magic damage against: BrutePlantFishInsect or Dragon. (Requires completion of level 80 or higher mission

• Magic Attack is a 10% addition, Physical is 20%; it actually add existing cards to the weapon.

Chose the increased heal for my weapon.

#16 Vladdin

Vladdin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationJuno

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

Hello,

I like the idea of not using any ocp gear. The best item you might want to invest in that is not ocp is the headgear called: Divine Guard Hat
This community headgear has been buffed that it might be enough already to get to 175.
If you have any more question, you may visit us at our discord channel.

#17 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:17 PM

power wise, divine guard hat is great. But it's usability is still an issue, since it still has the pre requisites of Banding or Inspiration. Banding requires an RG alt or another active RG player. Inspiration exp cost is not too problematic while leveling, but it's cooldown means there's downtime on the hat effect.

#18 Vladdin

Vladdin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationJuno

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:01 AM

i misread it. thought he has the max rg already and just wanted to go full non ocp equipment

#19 CaptainSunbear

CaptainSunbear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

i misread it. thought he has the max rg already and just wanted to go full non ocp equipment

Ah no, don't worry. I wanted to hear input from the Royal Guard community here on iRO to see which ideas were floating around these areas for going with no cash shop or OCP.

I am more interested in starting  up a novice 1/1 and see the experience for myself, I already know what I have in mind though, it doesn't hurt to listen to more ideas and learn something new from everyone here.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users