Big Ben + Neopunk double effect? - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Big Ben + Neopunk double effect?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 JPTrader604

JPTrader604

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 12:51 AM

Hi. I'm pretty new to RO, used to play pre renewal but never got too far. Anyways, I'm building my RG as a demon killer and wondering about this set combo:

Big Ben Card:

• Increase magical damage against [Formless] and [Demon] races by 5%.
  • Set bonus with Neo Punk Card,
  • Reduce damage received from [Formless] and [Demon] races by 5%.
  • Ignores 50% of [Formless] and [Demon] monster's Magic Defense Rate.

If my weapon has 2x Big Ben cards and my shield has 1x Neo Punk cards, does it give me 100% ignore of formless/demon magic defense rate, or 50%? Thanks all! I've also heard that bypassing > ignoring but if I were to ignore, it'd have to be PDM and I'd have to give up 1x themis balance so looking into other methods. 

#2 VModIceCreamCake

VModIceCreamCake

Amateur Blogger

• WarpPortal VM
  • 330 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, USA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 January 2022 - 01:14 AM

Set bonus from items only work once but it is confusing as set bonus with a skill do apply each time. So to your question, two cards is still 50%.

Also as you seem to have the wrong idea on bypass/ignore. The effect from the PDM and from the card combo is the same thing, and you can mix those types of items together to get your 100%.

As for other methods we did recently get the Penetration Shadow sets so you may want to find a Exorcist Corrupt Shadow Weapon and the Pendant/Earring to get your bypass.

#3 JPTrader604

JPTrader604

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 03:29 AM

not sure, someone on reddit made a long write up about the difference between ignore, bypass, and one other type. the values were pretty close like 31k vs 30.8k type of stuff. i like the bearers shadow set quite a bit so ill have to get the penetration somehow else. i might just live with 50%. if i test on a training dummy do they basically have 0 mdef? so my max damage would show there, and i can compare that to a monster to see the difference? 

i hit a dummy for like 220k, i hit monsters for 100k-200k (i would guess its the holy elemental difference). so if we take 100k as the base, does that mean 50% mdef penetration would be roughly 160k? because if i take off my second themis balance i hit 145 on the dummy, so it may be beneficial for me to just live with 50% penetration until i find a better way.  

Edited by JPTrader604, 29 January 2022 - 03:47 AM.

#4 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 January 2022 - 04:50 AM

Set bonus from items only work once but it is confusing as set bonus with a skill do apply each time. So to your question, two cards is still 50%.

Also as you seem to have the wrong idea on bypass/ignore. The effect from the PDM and from the card combo is the same thing, and you can mix those types of items together to get your 100%.

As for other methods we did recently get the Penetration Shadow sets so you may want to find a Exorcist Corrupt Shadow Weapon and the Pendant/Earring to get your bypass.

What we usually say to differ skill lvl based effects from item sets is that items that need X skill level are just "activation requirements", and "set bonuses" are exclusive to the combination of different equipments/items. Descriptions could be improved to help further cement this ( like adding [Set Bonus] before listing the condition just to make it clear, same with Set Malus)

not sure, someone on reddit made a long write up about the difference between ignore, bypass, and one other type. the values were pretty close like 31k vs 30.8k type of stuff. i like the bearers shadow set quite a bit so ill have to get the penetration somehow else. i might just live with 50%. if i test on a training dummy do they basically have 0 mdef? so my max damage would show there, and i can compare that to a monster to see the difference? 

i hit a dummy for like 220k, i hit monsters for 100k-200k (i would guess its the holy elemental difference). so if we take 100k as the base, does that mean 50% mdef penetration would be roughly 160k? because if i take off my second themis balance i hit 145 on the dummy, so it may be beneficial for me to just live with 50% penetration until i find a better way.  

That's just different wording, there's no difference in the effect. 
The only case where there's a difference in performance is that items that give you total bypass to a target, instead of adding up to 100%, will also ignore soft DEF. This is however an insignificant performance difference in basically every single scenario.

And lastly, that's not how partial bypassing works. How much impact it makes or not will always depend on your target. And because the def/mdef formula is heavily skewed towards being more impactful in the earlier values than heavy stacking, the partial penetration will still leave enemies with a sizeable damage reduction, and the closer your get to 100% bypass, the more your damage increases(this is assuming the enemy has a sizeable def value that makes bypass worth using to begin with)

#5 JPTrader604

JPTrader604

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 08:21 PM

Ah good point on the mdef earlier values. I think I'm going to live with 50% penetration then one day I'll get a temporal int manteau for the rest. Thanks both of you  :D

edit: forget the temp int manteau, prob rg shadow set or wait for them to give us something else. cross fingers for 50% on lower headgear. I like my bearers shadow set ;_; 

Edited by JPTrader604, 07 February 2022 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users