Green Shops (offline vending) - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Green Shops (offline vending)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Xord

Xord

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

POPULAR

Saves electricty, saves us from sleeping with shop open and then discovering next day that the shop disconnected a few minutes after being set. Many games already have this feature. Its about time we have it too. Would help a lot of new people who cant afford to leave computer on for their shops.

And no, Auction is not the same as this.

#2 iNoob00

iNoob00

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

+1 to this

#3 Ramen

Ramen

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1990 posts
  • LocationEientei

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Sounds nice, but could you expound a bit on how you think such a thing could be implemented?

#4 Ignasia

Ignasia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

I love the idea.

Just create a /command for vending where it kicks off the computer but keeps the shop online. The only requirement is the shop is already created, and make an error message when it isn't completely up.

Maybe /offlinevend or /greenvend in honor of the topic title.

When the person relogs into the account set a check that just kicks the account or recycles the account straight to the server select screen. Shouldn't be that hard to code.

#5 Sully

Sully

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationGreed Island

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

+1. Nice idea.

#6 Gabohollow

Gabohollow

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

+1 to this i played in many private servers an most have this function maybe coul be limited to only town/eden to prevent auto-leveling
auto-buying would also be nice XD

#7 Xord

Xord

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Well basically one can have Auto selling and buying shops. Type /Greenmode to kick off the character after the said character has made a shop. The shop remains on until the player logs on that account again OR a limiting timer passes. The limiting timer could be a random number between 5 -12 hours. This ensures that people dont misuse the shops and that shops dont persist forever. Hence the player, has to re-create shops atleast twice in 24 hours (maybe more depending on luck).

I could name a lot of Korean MMOS that already have this feature and it seems P-servers have this too but I am not too sure if we should discuss those beyond this point :)

Only one buying and one selling autoshop should be allowed per IP address to prevent too many shops from one IP.
Furthermore, While a person is in Greenvend mode - that character must not recieve EXP hence people cant leech Offline shop characters . But these characters can lose EXP if they die. So this doesnt prevent people from making shops outside town in case if they wish to buy certain items cheap found on that map.However, this prevents them from misuse and puts a EXP based cost if the map has aggressive monsters.

This feature would make everyone happy and considerably reduce or eliminate vendor bots completely.

Edited by Xord, 31 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#8 RennaSaintsworth

RennaSaintsworth

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1908 posts
  • LocationScarlet Devil Mansion
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

This does sound interesting.

#9 matrixEXO

matrixEXO

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

Well basically one can have Auto selling and buying shops. Type /Greenmode to kick off the character after the said character has made a shop. The shop remains on until the player logs on that account again OR a limiting timer passes. The limiting timer could be a random number between 5 -12 hours. This ensures that people dont misuse the shops and that shops dont persist forever. Hence the player, has to re-create shops atleast twice in 24 hours (maybe more depending on luck).

I could name a lot of Korean MMOS that already have this feature and it seems P-servers have this too but I am not too sure if we should discuss those beyond this point :)

Only one buying and one selling autoshop should be allowed per IP address to prevent too many shops from one IP.
Furthermore, While a person is in Greenvend mode - that character must not recieve EXP hence people cant leech Offline shop characters . But these characters can lose EXP if they die. So this doesnt prevent people from making shops outside town in case if they wish to buy certain items cheap found on that map.However, this prevents them from misuse and puts a EXP based cost if the map has aggressive monsters.

This feature would make everyone happy and considerably reduce or eliminate vendor bots completely.

+1. Still does not stop lvl 99 or 150 players from doing dead-man-selling, the XP cost. Good enough to prevent AFK Leeching though.

#10 shinobi26

shinobi26

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

+1 Save Electricity, Go Green and Be Rich!! :ani_slur: :ani_slur:

#11 Banjo03

Banjo03

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

+1. A lot of people already bot-vends so it's the same thing.

#12 kiefer

kiefer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • LocationNext Door

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

This is the best idea i have ever seen in this forum yet.

#13 LazyLazy

LazyLazy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

go green! go RO!

#14 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts
  • Server:My Dreams + Loki

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Many would assume that the auction house would be like your idea because they share some of the very simple mechanics. With that said the next evolutionary step; to have older game content be redirected to match the needs and expectation of the community.

So yes, this idea is perfect to say the least and easy to implement due to the current Auction House (not being in much use).

As for creating "/GreenMode" that may take a while to develop since there is no current standing architecture in the RO Universe which keeps a player's sprite "online" to be interactive with other players. This is a great idea, a bit ahead of it's time however with the possibility of having your idea of offline trade store, should be on the focus of upcoming projects for 2013... (fingers crossed)

#15 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hmm but wont this cause more lags though. People will just multiclient as many vendors as possible and put them all in /greenmode.

#16 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hmm but wont this cause more lags though. People will just multiclient as many vendors as possible and put them all in /greenmode.

His idea requested that only 1 per IP address, which in concept should prevent latency in that regards. A nice concept, however it has the possibility to be abused, even thought it's highly unlikely.

In many cases, the system resources used should be less then having characters roaming about. The idea it's self would basically turn active vending players into standard Merchant Class NPC's. Because the players are not active and generating different sprites, the issue of latency could only happen due to density (so many people on one part of the map).

#17 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

This has been suggested as far back as 2006, I believe. It'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

#18 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

His idea requested that only 1 per IP address, which in concept should prevent latency in that regards. A nice concept, however it has the possibility to be abused, even thought it's highly unlikely.

In many cases, the system resources used should be less then having characters roaming about. The idea it's self would basically turn active vending players into standard Merchant Class NPC's. Because the players are not active and generating different sprites, the issue of latency could only happen due to density (so many people on one part of the map).

Plenty of ways to generate random and mass IP addresses and 2 or more people might be playing on the same household and they could be using the same IP address. Wouldn't that be an inconvenience for them if they can't use this feature?

#19 TheUraharaShop

TheUraharaShop

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Plenty of ways to generate random and mass IP addresses and 2 or more people might be playing on the same household and they could be using the same IP address. Wouldn't that be an inconvenience for them if they can't use this feature?

This retort is quite common to block access to games via IP, but ask the obvious question. How many people actually have two or more people playing iRO in the same household? Not as many as you would think, let alone enough to warrant it's implementation to be placed on hold. If players need multiple access, emailing the Warp Portal Support to create unique access for your home network for multiple users could easily be implemented.

It's just odd that the same reasoning was used against IP banning house holds based on infractions in relation to botting and other exploitations. If players want to have multiple access granted, it's a privilege, not a right. Many wont abuse it or even be hurt by a change like that.

#20 DaniheII

DaniheII

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

+1 if it doesnt generate lag :P

#21 dkitty

dkitty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think this would be simply amazing. I hate having to leave my PC on for vending, or when Im busy doing something else in the computer because it consumes a lot of memory. But I don't foresee this coming true =_=..

#22 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Doesn't RO2 have a feature similar to this? I'm assuming they managed to make it work somehow without causing too much lag, so I'm sure if they worked it around a little they could do the same for RO1.

I really hate waking up only to see my vender was randomly DC'd. :(

#23 matrixEXO

matrixEXO

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

If they are in the same household, they should be at least best buds. Which means that they should be able to pull the items together to vend. Only exception to this case is when both vendors intend to sell somethings that, when accumulated, are well over the vend item cap.

Edited by matrixEXO, 03 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#24 Xord

Xord

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

This has been suggested as far back as 2006, I believe. It'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I am aware.I am simply re-suggesting it.

Doesn't RO2 have a feature similar to this? I'm assuming they managed to make it work somehow without causing too much lag, so I'm sure if they worked it around a little they could do the same for RO1.

I really hate waking up only to see my vender was randomly DC'd. :(

Indeed. The feature is there in almost all other MMOs out there.

#25 Cepo

Cepo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Bump, this should be up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users