Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

would it do any help if you guys do so? like less d/c's idk, more people to play with? :o just asking

#2 ariza08

ariza08

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • Server:Leonis / Draconis

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

How about no.

#3 Leonis

Leonis

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 4096 posts
  • Playing:Metal Assault
  • Server:US Server 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

May I ask what it is you're looking to resolve or accomplish by merging?

Server disconnections are not caused because of the number of servers active.
I suppose that, yes, there would be more people to play with per area, but then you may also have the issue of overcrowding in certain areas as well.

Is there another reason? :)

#4 K0rey

K0rey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'd rather have areas be overcrowded than dead...There would be more and better competition.

#5 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

yes whenever i log tg is dead :<

Edited by Teus, 03 January 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#6 ariza08

ariza08

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • Server:Leonis / Draconis

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Please no merge server :sob:

#7 Phish

Phish

Bourgeois & Champion Representative

• Members
  • 3564 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. New York

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

May I ask what it is you're looking to resolve or accomplish by merging?

Server disconnections are not caused because of the number of servers active.
I suppose that, yes, there would be more people to play with per area, but then you may also have the issue of overcrowding in certain areas as well.

Is there another reason? :)

Is it possible? Realistically speaking I mean; merging storages, characters with the same name, and characters on the same account between both servers. It seems like a greater portion of the community is in favor of it than against but I'm wondering if it is even a possible feat.

#8 Oerba

Oerba

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

A lot of people think that merging servers will solve some or all the problems.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but there's a few concerning issues at hand.

Some such as:
- Moving all items to same server for all accounts.
- Player's In-Game name, there's going to be serious conflicts.
- Time taken to resolve the above.

Sure it will be nicely populated again, but back when Leonis was the only server, if we didn't have three different channels everyone would honestly be KS'ing each other for spots left right and centre.
Same goes for questing, farming particular areas or bosses.
Imagine trying to get from level 220-230, where would you go if there's say 50 players wanting to level at the same spot?

The split has been done long ago, I don't think a merger back is even possible anymore, unless you create a 3rd world server or something.
The servers should be left as they are.

#9 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I was just wondering ;x

#10 Leonis

Leonis

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 4096 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Merging the servers is possible, however as given some examples of consideration, would be quite a messy feat and could change one complaint of 'lack of players' to 'too many players.' These would be some of the major considerations and in no way am I faulting the idea of it, I was simply asking if you had a goal behind why you felt a merge may be an answer to some other issue that hasn't been commented on or addressed. :)

#11 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

goals like hacking? lol no.... I was just curious if merging the servers would help with the game, I sincerely don't know anything about game moderation, it was just a question I had .-.

#12 CoffeeMuse

CoffeeMuse

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationRose Forum Mod 2006-2011

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I never understood why a second server was made - to me it only divided a small community base into two smaller ones. It just seems like common sense to keep one server and have it as busy and vibrant as possible. Yeah yeah, I know they wanted to start a new economy etc etc from fresh, but common sense also seemed to say that it would be only a matter of time until the new server eventually became a mirror of the old one as long as the same conditions gear item malls stuff apply.

I've always been in favor of one server and stil am. I rarely said anything in the past but it seemed time to chime in now. I think anything which can "economize" to keep Rose going is a good thing, and this seems like it could reduce overhead a little as well.

#13 K0rey

K0rey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I agree with Coffee. The number of players on Rose are dwindling and going off to different games. I also agree with Oerba that it will be a pain in the ass for all of the name changes; however, I believe, in the long run, that it will be worth it.

Edited by K0rey, 03 January 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#14 Leonis

Leonis

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 4096 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

goals like hacking? lol no.... I was just curious if merging the servers would help with the game, I sincerely don't know anything about game moderation, it was just a question I had .-.

Don't worry about it. :) There was no harm in asking. I was wondering myself if there might have been something going on I wasn't aware of that could lead to that as a solution. No harm done, please don't feel bad for asking. I appreciate the ideas given by the community, no matter how silly they may seem sometimes. :)

I never understood why a second server was made - to me it only divided a small community base into two smaller ones. It just seems like common sense to keep one server and have it as busy and vibrant as possible. Yeah yeah, I know they wanted to start a new economy etc etc from fresh, but common sense also seemed to say that it would be only a matter of time until the new server eventually became a mirror of the old one as long as the same conditions gear item malls stuff apply.

I've always been in favor of one server and stil am. I rarely said anything in the past but it seemed time to chime in now. I think anything which can "economize" to keep Rose going is a good thing, and this seems like it could reduce overhead a little as well.

If you knew why Draconis was created, why bother asking the reason? Yes, it was created because the economy on Leonis was impenitrable for new players. Argue what you will on that notion, but it was a huge factor of feedback we got from new players and along with some major changes the drop table back then, it became only that much harder for the new players to catch up. ROSE is doing just fine and the two servers are both pretty busy with population these days.

Since then, the economy on both servers have reached a means of stability new players are able to enter the game and create their own fortune. I personally still think that there needs to be a larger need to have a drain for zulie, but that will happen as new features are implemented for content. :waddle:

I agree with Coffee. The number of players on Rose are dwindling and going off to different games. I also agree with Oerba that it will be a pain in the ass for all of the name changes; however, I believe, in the long run, that it will be worth it.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the "number of players on ROSE are dwindling", we're doing just fine. :thumb:

#15 MHL777

MHL777

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOrange County/Riverside, California
  • Server:Youtube

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Having two characters of the same name on both servers only to be merged in together is... very redundant... especially for me. This is like asking one of those questions that's like "Can you make a FF7 HD remake?" which is definitely gonna take over twenty years. Can you imagine how much time and money it would take to do all that if you had a major in computer science and working for Gravity?
I want you to imagine a PPC (Production Possibilities Curve) just like the one down below.
Posted Image
Now let's say that new content for ROSE would be on the X-axis and the time to used to merge both servers would be on the Y-axis and that production is at full capacity (point on the curve). The opportunity cost of each is going to be reduced either way we move it left or right. And when move it leftward, less new content = more unhappy players since they have to wait longer = less money spent by players the company might not have the money to make new content bankruptcy. I highly doubt about the very last one though.
And this is just basic economic knowledge I learned beginning of my school year when I started school again this year. All that time spent in front of the computer with all those codes and stuff on merging both servers... Thinking about it just makes me sick... :p_sick:
But hey, at least you learned something new lol. Live and learn experience...

#16 maldini

maldini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

well.. having 1 server will be much better than 2 servers...
at least the development team can just concentrate on 1 server... for the rest of reason.. u fill it up urself :)

#17 CoffeeMuse

CoffeeMuse

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationRose Forum Mod 2006-2011

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

If you knew why Draconis was created, why bother asking the reason? Yes, it was created because the economy on Leonis was impenitrable for new players. Argue what you will on that notion, but it was a huge factor of feedback we got from new players and along with some major changes the drop table back then, it became only that much harder for the new players to catch up. ROSE is doing just fine and the two servers are both pretty busy with population these days.

Since then, the economy on both servers have reached a means of stability new players are able to enter the game and create their own fortune. I personally still think that there needs to be a larger need to have a drain for zulie, but that will happen as new features are implemented for content. :waddle:

It was somewhat of a retorical question. I realized that draconis was a fresh start and acknowledged that for a time it probably served the purpose of being it's own world and it's own economy. However, I believe that given the same equipment, IM items, and conditions, it would eventually catch up to the Leonis so whatever "advantages" Draconis may have once had are probably going to reach a point of diminishing returns - its more a matter of when. I am glad to hear you can verbalize things are fine and busy, that is good to hear.

As for drain on zuly, you must be refering to higher players because Naughty and I played some characters up a few months ago in the 0-120 range and we had to continually feed them zuly off or our existing characters to keep them leveling - just playing seemed to be a zuly drain. It really seems like it is MUCH harder to make money in contrast to the olden days, and apparently you really have to rely on selling IM stuff to make significant money, at least at the lower levels. The drops have been curtailed so even farming seems to have lost it's appeal in contrast to a few year ago also. Farming is what Naughty and I used to enjoy our past time doing since PVP has never been our cup of tea, PVP seems to have taken precidence in terms of development and developer time during the last couple years.

#18 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I have still problems with log in.... it takes time for it to log in .-.

#19 pimpthomy

pimpthomy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1133 posts
  • Location-

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Dont do it. Less people on draco abuse IM enhancements during wars.
Leonis is a bad influence ;c

#20 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Farming is what Naughty and I used to enjoy our past time doing since PVP has never been our cup of tea, PVP seems to have taken precidence in terms of development and developer time during the last couple years.

I'm not sure how you can say that PvP has taken priority over PvM when last year, there were 3 PvM dungeons and a number of PvM oriented quests (including an expansion to the Hero Quest) released, in contrast to 1 PvP game mode.

#21 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure how you can say that PvP has taken priority over PvM when last year, there were 3 PvM dungeons and a number of PvM oriented quests (including an expansion to the Hero Quest) released, in contrast to 1 PvP game mode.

I think she means more like farming of getting money and drops and stuff like that.

#22 Feuer

Feuer

They pay me to post

• Members
  • 10958 posts
  • Twitter:@LovatianOwl
  • LocationCaves of Owlverick
  • Server:Le' Forumz

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Not saying it's a bad thing, but there's a few concerning issues at hand.

Some such as:
- Moving all items to same server for all accounts.
- Player's In-Game name, there's going to be serious conflicts.
- Time taken to resolve the above.

- That would be quite easily done actually, it simply requires the databases from group a be copied to group b. There isn't really anything that would conflict, as the item database is simply what the item is, what the item has, and who owns the item.
- This is the bigger issue, BUT it is very easily remedied. Simply putting a prefix to all the character names that are unique to their group, would resolve any issues with duplicates, as they were manually made unique. For example I know it was suggested that UserExample on Leonis would be changed to L-UserExample and UserExample on Draconis would become D-UserExample. That prefix would only need to be added to 3 databases.
Account database that list the accounts character IDs + names
Character database that list the character ID + Name + Inventory + Skills + Stats
Item Database that list the character ID + Item owners ID

But I see 1 other problem that you didn't mention that I did expect you to. The conflict with farming / leveling over-crowded areas. Simple solution would be Merging the 2 servers, then opening 1-2 more channels.
Back when it was multi-channel, Channel 1 was where everyone would Vend their goods. Once they sold their stuff and wanted to farm more, they would switch from Channel 1 to either Chan2 or Chan3 and take their char to where they wanted to farm with. Also, most people would PvP in Channel 1. Re-implementing that would cut down on frustration of over crowded areas, PKing in PvP areas that are good for farming. And give more spots to farming / grind / king hunt.

Also merging the servers would make the in-game economy BOOM, and explode. Making huge abundances of items, and eventually normalizing costs of items. Junon would be PACKED with venders, Zant would see it's revival, and maybe even Luna would become a social hub again.

I see a server merge as a huge benefit both strategically [if performed correctly] and socially. a merge if executed properly would only offer huge benefits to the players. But that is my opinion.

Edited by Feuer, 03 January 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#23 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

- That would be quite easily done actually, it simply requires the databases from group a be copied to group b. There isn't really anything that would conflict, as the item database is simply what the item is, what the item has, and who owns the item.
- This is the bigger issue, BUT it is very easily remedied. Simply putting a prefix to all the character names that are unique to their group, would resolve any issues with duplicates, as they were manually made unique. For example I know it was suggested that UserExample on Leonis would be changed to L-UserExample and UserExample on Draconis would become D-UserExample. That prefix would only need to be added to 3 databases.
Account database that list the accounts character IDs + names
Character database that list the character ID + Name + Inventory + Skills + Stats
Item Database that list the character ID + Item owners ID

But I see 1 other problem that you didn't mention that I did expect you to. The conflict with farming / leveling over-crowded areas. Simple solution would be Merging the 2 servers, then opening 1-2 more channels.
Back when it was multi-channel, Channel 1 was where everyone would Vend their goods. Once they sold their stuff and wanted to farm more, they would switch from Channel 1 to either Chan2 or Chan3 and take their char to where they wanted to farm with. Also, most people would PvP in Channel 1. Re-implementing that would cut down on frustration of over crowded areas, PKing in PvP areas that are good for farming. And give more spots to farming / grind / king hunt.

Also merging the servers would make the in-game economy BOOM, and explode. Making huge abundances of items, and eventually normalizing costs of items. Junon would be PACKED with venders, Zant would see it's revival, and maybe even Luna would become a social hub again.

I see a server merge as a huge benefit both strategically [if performed correctly] and socially. a merge if executed properly would only offer huge benefits to the players. But that is my opinion.

I agree a 101%

#24 DarthKarla

DarthKarla

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationOver the rainbow
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I want to expereince the server merge and they should make each map Bigger Make 3 Versions of Junon. and DnD. and Make additional Maps.

#25 Teus

Teus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationBikini Bottom

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I wish this could happen... I wish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users