Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate? - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 mistergohan

mistergohan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

ive noticed a strong trend around here of pure hatred towards the ragnarok sequel. ive done extensive reading up on this game as well as seen tons of screenshots, and it really just seems like they improved on what ragnarok was/is. in fact they pretty much put all of the things into that game that Ragnarok desperately needs, and took out the bad thats making our game suffer currently.

-they got rid of the useless merchant class and gave everyone the ability to become NPCs that offer their trade while theyre offline (no more tying up the server with a bunch of bandwidth leeches causing lag).
-they improved on the graphics IMMENSELY (the graphics actually remind me of final fantasy 11). i was actually pretty blown away by how nice the graphics look, especially compared to all of gravitys other games.
-they added 5 man instance dungeons in (no more having to form 12 man parties to farm a single TI for your level bracket over and over)
-tons of quests (not just a single sign board of the same quest being repeated over and over)

in fact, they really shouldve put these changes into RO since they obviously know theyre problems the game suffers from. i think most people are hating on it because 1)its overshadowing a game that they hold dear to their hearts and 2) theyre worried that gravity will shift all of their attention to it and scrap our game completely. also people are scared of change

so why all the hate?

#2 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

POPULAR

It's a wow clone with ragnarok slapped onto the title, few monsters named after RO monsters, and graphics worse than WoW's original graphics (which was made in 2004). If they wanted to do 3d that badly, they should have made it look more modern, not like graphics pixar was putting out in the 80's. It has nothing except a few names and a couple aesthetics that actually relate to RO, everything else is different. All in all, it blows.

#3 Rirezz

Rirezz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Because what most of the community wanted was to improve current RO, not make it into a sort of 3d evil child of it. Making vending more usable, improving graphics, adding instances and adding quests are all things that can (and should) happen in RO. A lot of the things that make RO, well, RO are missing from what we see in RO 2.

#4 CeruleanGamer

CeruleanGamer

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7685 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Server:Yggdrasil, Ymir

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Because it's a stupid game that claims to be "Ragnarok" when it's clearly a slap to the face WoW clone.

#5 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's a wow clone with ragnarok slapped onto the title, few monsters named after RO monsters, and graphics worse than WoW's original graphics (which was made in 2004). If they wanted to do 3d that badly, they should have made it look more modern, not like graphics pixar was putting out in the 80's. It has nothing except a few names and a couple aesthetics that actually relate to RO, everything else is different. All in all, it blows.

I for one really love the graphic of Ragnarok Online as it is one of the very few MMO's that still has a 2d graphic.

I think most people hate RO2 because they (I too) would rather have seen all that work that went into it invested into actually improving the orignial RO instead of that bad WoW clone.

#6 KryssT

KryssT

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Server:Laggy Chaos

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I for one really love the graphic of Ragnarok Online as it is one of the very few MMO's that still has a 2d graphic.

I think most people hate RO2 because they (I too) would rather have seen all that work that went into it invested into actually improving the orignial RO instead of that bad WoW clone.

couldnt agree more...

#7 PyroPenguin

PyroPenguin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

i am not against it per-say, i'm against the effort that went into it, that could have been done to make this ro better

#8 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

add all the previous comments after the OP to the fact that when it comes here it will be one more game for our already understaffed team to manage

#9 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I wasn't aware people were hating on RO2. I thought people just didn't care about it.

#10 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

RO's 2D graphics are actually a lot more elegant and beautiful than RO2's mediocre use of 3D and choppy animation, by 2D graphics standards anyway. There's a certain charm that comes from using sprites, and that's one reason why a lot of people prefer the original's style.

Secondly, the merchant class is not 'useless'. It's a truly unique class and there aren't many things like it in modern MMO's, because the increasingly casual playerbase for such games doesn't appreciate anything with such an esorteric role as a 'money making' class. However, there are very few games out there that let you truly be a 'merchant'. Usually you're just another run of the mill combat class who just happens to be able to learn blacksmithing or alchemy.

The best things about RO2 is the new card system and the new vending system. Other than that, they also removed something that was pivotal to my enjoyment of the original which was ground looting. Having items spill out onto the ground was one of the best and most satisfying things of the original. Dropping a huge mob with an AOE skill and then sorting through the mess of items, is why I play games like RO and Torchlight2. In RO2, you just loot corpses. Not fun at all.

Edited by Luckywhiterabbit, 07 March 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#11 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

ive noticed a strong trend around here of pure hatred towards the ragnarok sequel. ive done extensive reading up on this game as well as seen tons of screenshots, and it really just seems like they improved on what ragnarok was/is. in fact they pretty much put all of the things into that game that Ragnarok desperately needs, and took out the bad thats making our game suffer currently.

-they got rid of the useless merchant class and gave everyone the ability to become NPCs that offer their trade while theyre offline (no more tying up the server with a bunch of bandwidth leeches causing lag).
-they improved on the graphics IMMENSELY (the graphics actually remind me of final fantasy 11). i was actually pretty blown away by how nice the graphics look, especially compared to all of gravitys other games.
-they added 5 man instance dungeons in (no more having to form 12 man parties to farm a single TI for your level bracket over and over)
-tons of quests (not just a single sign board of the same quest being repeated over and over)

in fact, they really shouldve put these changes into RO since they obviously know theyre problems the game suffers from. i think most people are hating on it because 1)its overshadowing a game that they hold dear to their hearts and 2) theyre worried that gravity will shift all of their attention to it and scrap our game completely. also people are scared of change

so why all the hate?

There is no use to add or expand game content when you erase the old contents. If you know gamefaqs, try search similar games. Why I'm complaining modern FF games or digimon re:digitize, similar like that. Dear god, can they just not prioritize graphic as main element of game?

#12 Peerless

Peerless

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Atlanta Currently
  • Server:Chaos aka Ragnarok to Be

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

so why all the hate?

Merchant class is what made most of us billionaires ingame.Don't knock it.

#13 Magefist

Magefist

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 953 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA
  • Server:Classic

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Because RO2 is garbage.

#14 mistergohan

mistergohan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

sorry to say, but nowadays graphics play a pivotal role in the majority of gamers choosing what game to play. this is one of the main reasons this games population has never grown and has dwindled down. people pay all of this money for computers with insane graphics cards and processors. they want to use that power and see what their computers are capable of. every person ive tried to get to play this game has said to me ...'but the second one looks better. i think im gonna play that instead'.

game content is definitely the main reason someone should be into a game. but if the graphics are glitchy and outdated (like RO), its going to turn people off immensely. theres actually areas in RO that hurt my eyes because theyre too pixelated and blurry. if i have to grind those areas for more then a half hour, i find my eyes straining to focus.

as for the merchant class, its a completely outdated concept. sitting afk in a town with a shop above your head is absolutely ridiculous, when you can implement a serverwide auctionhouse that acts as a shopping center for players and helps people sell their goods without having to be online. it makes items more available to everyone at any given time at a competitive price. blacksmithing should be a more integral part of the game, but in RO, theyve let it completely go to hell. our forgable items list is a joke. its so outdated now it makes me wanna cry that i ever even made a forgesmith.

ro2 might not have graphics compared to skyrim, but they are much better then alot of the other 3d mmorpgs out there that have bigger fan bases then ragnarok. who cares if they copied WoWs model of gameplay? WoW set the standard for how an mmorpg SHOULD be. they took the best of every rpg out there and put it into 1 game and shattered world records because of it (although WoW has gone to complete hell now)

i would like to see them fix ragnaroks problems to be equally as good as RO2, but its just not going to happen. well most likely see them fine tune RO2 until it starts succeeding (apparently the first version was a complete failure and they started over from scratch lol) and then give RO1 the axe, or put it on the backburner running on some lousy servers never getting any updates at all. i love my RO, but im not opposed to them releasing a better version of it

#15 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Its a bad game and the only thing i found common between RO and RO2 is the posi-lag-bug.
i lol'ed

#16 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

sorry to say, but nowadays graphics play a pivotal role in the majority of gamers choosing what game to play. this is one of the main reasons this games population has never grown and has dwindled down. people pay all of this money for computers with insane graphics cards and processors. they want to use that power and see what their computers are capable of. every person ive tried to get to play this game has said to me ...'but the second one looks better. i think im gonna play that instead'.

game content is definitely the main reason someone should be into a game. but if the graphics are glitchy and outdated (like RO), its going to turn people off immensely. theres actually areas in RO that hurt my eyes because theyre too pixelated and blurry. if i have to grind those areas for more then a half hour, i find my eyes straining to focus.

as for the merchant class, its a completely outdated concept. sitting afk in a town with a shop above your head is absolutely ridiculous, when you can implement a serverwide auctionhouse that acts as a shopping center for players and helps people sell their goods without having to be online. it makes items more available to everyone at any given time at a competitive price. blacksmithing should be a more integral part of the game, but in RO, theyve let it completely go to hell. our forgable items list is a joke. its so outdated now it makes me wanna cry that i ever even made a forgesmith.

ro2 might not have graphics compared to skyrim, but they are much better then alot of the other 3d mmorpgs out there that have bigger fan bases then ragnarok. who cares if they copied WoWs model of gameplay? WoW set the standard for how an mmorpg SHOULD be. they took the best of every rpg out there and put it into 1 game and shattered world records because of it (although WoW has gone to complete hell now)

i would like to see them fix ragnaroks problems to be equally as good as RO2, but its just not going to happen. well most likely see them fine tune RO2 until it starts succeeding (apparently the first version was a complete failure and they started over from scratch lol) and then give RO1 the axe, or put it on the backburner running on some lousy servers never getting any updates at all. i love my RO, but im not opposed to them releasing a better version of it

I don't want any of those graphic snobs in Ragnarok Online anyway.

RO is about the flair and always has been a niche-game.

A small user population is fine, as long as it is constant.

And to hell with WoW clones, they suck and so does RO2.

If they axe the original RO, Gravity will be a goner.

#17 Cleffy

Cleffy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2377 posts
  • Playing:Requiem

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'm not sure why there is much hate on the game as well. MMOs have been copying each other since there onset. There are only about 10 original mmos and everything else just grabbed pieces from other mmos to make a game. Nothing released since Vindictus has been original. I would say RO2 is more closely matched to DOMO than WoW. To me Graphics don't matter as long as the gameplay is there. This is what makes Mabinogi a good game. It has poor graphics, but you can accomplish a lot more.

Edited by Cleffy, 07 March 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#18 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

WoW clone is a stupid term, it's annoying when people use idiotic words like that...what does it even mean anyway, do the people using it even know?

Also it wasn't so bad, one thing I found annoying is how slow the combat is, in RO it's fast paced and exciting to watch all the damage numbers on screen while actively trying to keep yourself or your party alive (And the stupid potion cooldown time adds to that, on top of the bug where if you are using skills and hit the hotkey for one, it fails and continues to for a few seconds...long enough for you to take enough damage and die...it's not too bad since you just need to time it right). Another is the fixed costumes for classes which gives it an early final fantasy feel that RO2 lacks. Has anyone here who for some reason completely hates the new game even tried it?

Edited by JohnNooodles, 07 March 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#19 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

You don't seem to understand that in these days of 'high end 3D graphics', 2D sprites actually hold a higher value than ever.

Why do you think so many indie games go for an old school sprited look? Because everything these days uses sam-y 3D graphics, which are not only cheaper to produce, but mainstream and saturated into the market.

Even some high level game design studios such as Nippon Ichi software, Arcsys, and Atlus insist on using sprites for some of their more well-known franchises simply because nothing can replace the feel that you get from classic hand drawn 2D sprites with traditional animation.

There is nothing special about RO2's graphics. It's competitors have better graphics and animation given the genre. It has to compete with leading industry games like Tera online and Guild Wars 2, wheras there are very few MMO's out there which have sprites of the quality as the ones found in RO1.

Also, your complaints about the merchant class are very shallow. You're only complaining about the vending aspect. Merchants are a unique and interesting class on their own, and two of the most fun endgame classes in the game when they turn into mechs and genetics.

Edited by Luckywhiterabbit, 07 March 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#20 mistergohan

mistergohan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Has anyone here who for some reason completely hates the new game even tried it?

i really dont think alot of them have. i wonder how many have tried it and have not come back since hahaha.

seriously, the game mechanics are alot better. i just think people are hating cuz they cant sit in town all day and admire their sprites in a big pile of friends and guildies anymore

#21 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

You don't seem to understand that in these days of 'high end 3D graphics', 2D sprites actually hold a higher value than ever.

Why do you think so many indie games go for an old school sprited look? Because everything these days uses sam-y 3D graphics, which are not only cheaper to produce, but mainstream and saturated into the market.

Even some high level game design studios such as Nippon Ichi software, Arcsys, and Atlus insist on using sprites for some of their more well-known franchises simply because nothing can replace the feel that you get from classic hand drawn 2D sprites with traditional animation.

There is nothing special about RO2's graphics. It's competitors have better graphics and animation given the genre. It has to compete with leading industry games like Tera online and Guild Wars 2, wheras there are very few MMO's out there which have sprites of the quality as the ones found in RO1.

Also, your complaints about the merchant class are very shallow. You're only complaining about the vending aspect. Merchants are a unique and interesting class on their own, and two of the most fun endgame classes in the game when they turn into mechs and genetics.

Didn't they say something about a graphics update in one of the leaked future updates for kRO?
I hope it's not the sprites...they can do whatever with the maps and environments...but keep the sprites!

2D sprite characters on in 3D realistic places sounds kinda neat too...

#22 Rirezz

Rirezz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Good graphics =/= 3d graphics.

There are also plenty of great games out there with sucky graphics or non-3d-realistic-rendered graphics because, believe it or not, not everyone is like you! I for one don't like fully 3d game worlds unless they're FPS or something else in first person.

I'm sure the community won't reject a graphics revamp of the game, like more dynamic effects, more varied animations, higher-resolution sprites (and OMGCUTEHATS) and so forth.

I've tried the RO 2 beta, yes. I found their leveling to be even more tedious than RO's, and that's saying something when RO's leveling is typically spamming a skill on a group of monsters.

Edited by Rirezz, 07 March 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#23 natsume1990

natsume1990

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationGeffen
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I did try RO2 too..and I came back to RO in 2weeks XD. I don't like quest-based levelling and after a while it got boriiiiing. The most thing I did was to take funny screenies >_> like sitting on the King's throne and stuff ^^;..but then 3D graphics usually don't get much <3 from me because they totally kill my eyes.

#24 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Didn't they say something about a graphics update in one of the leaked future updates for kRO?
I hope it's not the sprites...they can do whatever with the maps and environments...but keep the sprites!

2D sprite characters on in 3D realistic places sounds kinda neat too...

The ex-doujin fighting game 'Melty Blood' also went though a graphics upgrade at one point, and all that consisted of was a filter and a touchup to particle effects. When they say graphics upgrade, they most likely mean that they'll be updating things like textures, lighting and filters. Not so much the actual sprites themselves.

#25 Riakuta

Riakuta

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • LocationNeed to Know
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

I tried it out. Interface sucks. Monsters suck. Its not Ragnarok Online at all. When I whack a Poring it isn't supposed to have 500 Health and I'm not supposed to only be doing 1 damage a hit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users