Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate? - Page 2 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#26 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

i really dont think alot of them have. i wonder how many have tried it and have not come back since hahaha.

seriously, the game mechanics are alot better. i just think people are hating cuz they cant sit in town all day and admire their sprites in a big pile of friends and guildies anymore

Don't go assuming. Most of the people with opinions on it have played one of the many beta's they've held. Perhaps you'll like it. If you do, great. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Many people on these forums like this game because they've grown up with it. I personally met my soon-to-be significant other thanks to RO. It holds a special place to each person for various reasons.

I personally very much so enjoy 3D games....when they're done right. RO2 is NOT done right (imo). I'm also not fond of 2D games, but RO is a 2.5D game, and extremely unique in various other ways as well, giving it an edge on more modern 3D games. It's not trying to be something that it is not, like RO2 is.

Go play RO2 if you want. We won't stop you. Just play whatever floats your boat, and makes you happy. We'll do the same ourselves.

#27 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

i really dont think alot of them have. i wonder how many have tried it and have not come back since hahaha.

seriously, the game mechanics are alot better. i just think people are hating cuz they cant sit in town all day and admire their sprites in a big pile of friends and guildies anymore

There was a beta for RO2 and many of us got to try it for a bit.
Many more tried it again after official launch to see if there where any significant improvements in bugs and gameplay,
The answer to that is nope. RO2 deserves the label of wow clone. Actually it doesn't hit the mark of wow clone .
It's sup par in every way, Slow boring combat. choppy animations, poorly balanced skills. It looks like every other game, plays even worse. Money would have been better spent to transition RO into a modern game engine.

#28 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....
  • Server:Classic

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

What the hell does "wow clone" even mean?

#29 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

What the hell does "wow clone" even mean?

It means games attempting to copy WoW's style of gameplay. WoW originally borrowed some concepts from everquest, and changed some of them up to make them unique to WoW (world of warcraft). Other things they were completely innovative on and that is the reason WoW became so popular. Many of today's more modern mmo's "borrow" the same game play idea's that WoW uses (such as dungeons, interface layouts, group finder systems). They borrow these idea's and change them slightly, and slap a new name on it with just enough changes (and maybe one or two unique changes like Rift with its rift's) to make it legal for them to adapt the same concepts. Thus, these games are "WoW clones".

#30 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

So...by that logic all first person shooters are clones of Wolfenstein 3D?

#31 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

So...by that logic all first person shooters are clones of Wolfenstein 3D?

Goldeneye was out before wolfenstein. My mistake. Still, goldeneye was the game that revolutionized first person shooters.

Edited by Tkwan, 07 March 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#32 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Oh yeah...even then they're all still "clones"

#33 mistergohan

mistergohan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

lol mans got a point. its stupid to call games clones just because 1 game became super famous. all shooters are doom clones. all strategy games are command and conquer clones. all mmos are everquest clones. .. .. . . lol its called a genre people. WoW set the bar for quality in an rpg. up until that point, most mmorpgs were just mindless grindfests like RO. thats one of the reasons RO died so hard when WoW came out. people were tired of the same boring crap and wow blew us all away. blizzard used to set the bar for games back in the day and all other games strived to compete. its a shame how much theyve gone down the crapper now though =(

an online RPG should be LOADED to the gills with quests. to the guy complaining he doesnt like quest systems, well i guess you dont like rpgs then lol. dungeons are another thing that are a MUST in an rpg. the entire game dungeons n dragons is about...guess what...DUNGEONS! what the hell kind of rpg doesnt offer a wide array of dungeons to explore? how could you possibly be upset that theyd put in a party dungeon system. all games should have party dungeon systems. it forces players to play together and find parties and interact. thats what an mmo is all about

i mean seriously, i think alot of people have just gotten used to sitting in prontera trying on hats and posing with friends for screenshots.

#34 WateryGrave

WateryGrave

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationEast U.S
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Honestly i think Gravity could learn a thing or THREE from private servers.
Ive seen private ro servers matching iRO in terms of population and customer service if not exceeding

#35 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

I just want a better version of RO1. :v I mean it's like when I played FF7, and went to play FF8, I expect similar game play system and some things were kept consistent or similar, so I am still familiar with the game still despite it being new, like there was Chocobo ridings, turn based fighting, summoning of Guardians to help defeat boss monsters/ monsters easier, leveling, exploring maps on different vehicles/ methods, gaining new characters as you go along with the story etc. The base of the game play method was consistent at least for the FF series.

Here's my opinion of what it should be similar with RO to call it RO2... Mind you what I meant 'similar' doesn't means it can't be an improved version... just not too different was all. >.<;
Similar Sprite (not some entirely 3D thingy that I have no interest in), similar gameplay (click on the map from a top view, walk! Click on the monster, kill, press hot key for skills! and click to use skill! Just like RO1!!!) similar interface with high angle view with no crazy camera crap that gives me motion sickness, similar UI though can be improved, just not too different until it's hard to gauge, retain some of the old classes with more balanced mechanics for them like prerenewal is (though I already see a high wiz so that's fine, but still wanted to note), retain old popular monsters.. (which I see them already doing with Poring and Peco peco, but I don't get the other version of RO2 with random weird penguins I never saw before), similar WOE :v because people love it..
Other silly fun stuff like emotes, pet system, hatssssss etc.

What could be new:
New maps, new quests, some new classes, improved chat interface, new way to VEND because the old system is outdated, a much thoroughly thought out long term game play that doesn't reach end game that fast, less bugs, much secured system so no pservers thing which does hurt the population AND business too, and also prevention of bots.. Stronger game engine to support greater population of players and have less lag, better server system maybe so no more of the entire crazy server merge thing.. a bit hard to explain that but I think some games allow you to switch server at anytime with the same character you played, that eliminates the headache of people who want to play on the server with less people sometimes or on a more crowded server, fixing that silly position lag/ bug, new story that is base on the manhwa/ previous RO1 story pipeline, it can be a spin off or whatever, it just have to have some relevance to the original story.. and etc etc.

Other things that kept RO what it was to me is also the BGM, so it would be really really good if they can get music quality as good as RO1 again into the game. >__<

Anyways, just my 2 cents as a casual player that loves RO1 a lot. @_@ I dream of the day a new RO gets launched with high great popularity.. Just like it used to be again when it was first launched. Q_Q but aw..

I don't want to play WOW. I want to play RO (and still am is why lol), and would love to see a newer version of RO that can bring in big number of players again. >.<

Edit: god didn't realize how lengthy this is. sorry. -x-"

Edited by WarlockFier, 08 March 2013 - 12:42 AM.

#36 michaeleeli

michaeleeli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2784 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil/Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

I only hate it because it steals all my RO1 friends and it's not worth leaving RO for it =3=

#37 WateryGrave

WateryGrave

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationEast U.S
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

i personally liked ro when I started because of the freedom it allows. So many other games lock you into a class and you are that class and you will have a certain build the game forces you into. Not with RO though you could be a 99str wizard and thats a-ok aslong as you like it.

#38 JohnNooodles

JohnNooodles

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Location....

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

This game has so much potential, so does RO2...the version we get might be much different than what the current OBT. Hopefully they will give the GMs here much more control over what can and can't be added...the REAL card system should make a comeback, MVPs in dungeons is fine but bring back the ones on random maps as well (More locations more opportunities to kill one.)

I do love Prontera in RO2...it's HUGE! :ok:

All this talk about it makes me want to go more into the game now and see what else is in it.

Edited by JohnNooodles, 08 March 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#39 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

i mean seriously, i think alot of people have just gotten used to sitting in prontera trying on hats and posing with friends for screenshots.

Don't expect to be taken serious if you end almost all of your posts with this ridiculous prejudice of yours.

Edited by Ascend, 08 March 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#40 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

lol mans got a point. its stupid to call games clones just because 1 game became super famous. all shooters are doom clones. all strategy games are command and conquer clones. all mmos are everquest clones. .. .. . . lol its called a genre people. WoW set the bar for quality in an rpg. up until that point, most mmorpgs were just mindless grindfests like RO. thats one of the reasons RO died so hard when WoW came out. people were tired of the same boring crap and wow blew us all away. blizzard used to set the bar for games back in the day and all other games strived to compete. its a shame how much theyve gone down the crapper now though =(

an online RPG should be LOADED to the gills with quests. to the guy complaining he doesnt like quest systems, well i guess you dont like rpgs then lol. dungeons are another thing that are a MUST in an rpg. the entire game dungeons n dragons is about...guess what...DUNGEONS! what the hell kind of rpg doesnt offer a wide array of dungeons to explore? how could you possibly be upset that theyd put in a party dungeon system. all games should have party dungeon systems. it forces players to play together and find parties and interact. thats what an mmo is all about

Wait, you say that old school MMO's like RO are mindless grind fests, however, RO has more depth and freedom than a majority of modern WoW-fashioned MMO's in terms of gameplay.

A majority of new MMO's are linear. This is partly due to the quest systems making it unecessary for players to find their own pathing in the game, as the quests 'lead' players along a set leveling path. In RO, you don't do that. You pick your own targets, and level by your own means killing and hunting what you feel best suits your character. Zones are set out so that every area has a 'lowbie' zone straight out of the city followed by several higher-level areas surrounding it, encouraging players to utilise the entire game world and not just small pockets of it. Even lv 150 characters can return to low lv dungeons like magma 2 and profit from farming there. That just doesn't happen in most new MMO's. Once you outlevel an area, you typically move on and never have a reason to go back there by your own decision.

Wow did not evolve MMO's. It opened up developer guidelines for how to monetise the genre and appeal to the laziest of players (who make up the largest part of the market).

Edited by Luckywhiterabbit, 08 March 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#41 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

who cares if they copied WoWs model of gameplay? WoW set the standard for how an mmorpg SHOULD be. they took the best of every rpg out there and put it into 1 game and shattered world records because of it (although WoW has gone to complete hell now)

Because if I wanted to play a game like WoW, I wouldn't be here. I'm playing RO to play RO, not some -_-ty WoW clone with RO graphics slapped onto it. As for WoW breaking world records, I don't want to get into it here but there was many reasons for this and not because they developed the ~best game ever~.

Edited by Hrishi, 08 March 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#42 Rirezz

Rirezz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

WoW set the bar for quality in an rpg. up until that point, most mmorpgs were just mindless grindfests like RO. thats one of the reasons RO died so hard when WoW came out. people were tired of the same boring crap and wow blew us all away

This appears to be the beef of your complaint. Honestly, if you prefer that gameplay, there are even better games than RO 2. The gist of the community's complaints, by people like you, is basically "why should we play RO 2 instead of some other game, because RO 2 has basically nothing effectively in common with RO?"

should be LOADED to the gills with quests

Content RO has...

what the hell kind of rpg doesnt offer a wide array of dungeons to explore

And has.

Granted, they could put more effort into making the exp curves more likable and all. But these places are still there. And some of the quests/dungeons are actually interesting and amusing. If you want to, you know, explore the world, the content actually is there.

how could you possibly be upset that theyd put in a party dungeon system

Wait, who was upset?

Whoa, what do you mean there are people who play for the social aspect? BLASPHEMY!

#43 Frah

Frah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Server:Chaos RO1 Odin RO2

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

I personally don't hate it, as for those complaining about it, for crying out loud it isn't even out here in the US yet & yet you guys are complaining. Wait till it's released here BEFORE complaining. For all we know we may get stuff the original ro2 doesn't, like what we got on RO1, as in eye of the beholder, no drop-nerf (I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up considering kro more than likely has to deal with the drop-nerf). That aside, you have to remember, games have to update with the times, otherwise they will become abandoned because players want a game that is more with the times. As for it being a clone, Why even call RO2 a clone, when RO1 is a clonefest in itself with all males or females of a class looking the same sprite-wise not counting dye & hair. What new player in this day & age, wants to walk into a game sees a cool looking class on the wiki they want to play, then once they get it & head back to town, they see anyone else that has picked that class has the same sprite outfit on, they'll leave thinking, "Wow, this game isn't as good as I thought it was cause everyone that has the same class as I do all look the same." As for graphic-wise, least RO2 the players actually have a mouth & nose, whereas in RO1 what are we doing with a spare card or other mid or lower headgear gluing/taping the headgear to our head?

#44 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

I personally don't hate it, as for those complaining about it, for crying out loud it isn't even out here in the US yet & yet you guys are complaining.

We got to beta test it a while back. We aren't complaining without reason.

#45 Frah

Frah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Server:Chaos RO1 Odin RO2

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

We got to beta test it a while back. We aren't complaining without reason.

I get that, but one, it's a BETA test, as in not all that is final.

#46 Rirezz

Rirezz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

RO1 is a clonefest in itself with all males or females of a class looking the same sprite-wise not counting dye & hair

... Are you sure you're playing the same game that we are?

And yes, believe it or not, the 2d sprite thing has appeal for some people. I wish they'd at least up the resolution and maybe add some more animations for different things, but I really don't want it all to go 3d and stuff.

RO 2 is in open beta, and that basically sets the foundation for a future community and gameplay standard. They might tweak it, they might change, but we don't like what we see right now.

Edited by Rirezz, 08 March 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#47 Hrishi

Hrishi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2365 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

I get that, but one, it's a BETA test, as in not all that is final.

Even if everything isn't final, the core gameplay isn't going to change between beta and release.

#48 idonothaveanname

idonothaveanname

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

Because it's completely different from Ragnarok Online (the pc mmorpg that we play). Oh! And it's being discussed here :P

#49 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

I tried it a while back and I'm going to agree with the majority of the other posts... it's just not RO. There are very few similarties, if anything it looks like a game that drew inspiration from RO, by which I mean borrowed a few aspects here and there. I grew up playing this game since I was around 14 (and I'm 21 in a few days) and a big part of why I still even play it is because of nostalgia. At the very least, that's the #1 reason I came back whenever I stopped.

RO2 might attract it's own fanbase, but most of the older RO players will probably stick to the original.

Edited by Alaska, 08 March 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#50 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

sorry to say, but nowadays graphics play a pivotal role in the majority of gamers choosing what game to play. this is one of the main reasons this games population has never grown and has dwindled down. people pay all of this money for computers with insane graphics cards and processors. they want to use that power and see what their computers are capable of. every person ive tried to get to play this game has said to me ...'but the second one looks better. i think im gonna play that instead'.

game content is definitely the main reason someone should be into a game. but if the graphics are glitchy and outdated (like RO), its going to turn people off immensely. theres actually areas in RO that hurt my eyes because theyre too pixelated and blurry. if i have to grind those areas for more then a half hour, i find my eyes straining to focus.

This stupid comment along with other Americans, few fans crying out for these games will never released on US with similar topics like this.

watch?v=B0sUD9XatAY

watch?v=7rpHOXlGwbg

It's youtube code just search it yourself for wanna be RO1 that graphic is not everything but awesome game.

and you clearly doesn't play the game well, seeing you just judging RO just grindfest/no quest/boring or making complaining thread similar to vicc***

Edited by Exvee, 08 March 2013 - 05:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users