Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate? - Page 4 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Why Does RO2 Get So Much Hate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#76 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

the quality of RO2 is what most people complain about. I wanted it to be a really good game too. Like, so badly. But it ended up being a westernised, limp noodle of am MMO that doesn't really do anything better than it's competitors.

At least the official art for it is gorgeous.

I have to agree with this. It's not that I WANT RO2 to fail, I would like to see it succeed. If it helps gravity, it helps RO. But with the way the game is formatted, I just can't see it succeeding. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect I'm right.

#77 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

I have to agree with this. It's not that I WANT RO2 to fail, I would like to see it succeed. If it helps gravity, it helps RO. But with the way the game is formatted, I just can't see it succeeding. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect I'm right.

RO2 can be successful for all I care, if it's able to increase Gravity's funds and thus improve the original RO, even more so.

But with how RO2 turned out, that's just a naive mans dream.

#78 ExValkyrie

ExValkyrie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidgard
  • Server:Loki (Classic)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I don't like RO2 because I don't like WoW; it really isn't that complicated. :p_swt:

#79 mistergohan

mistergohan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Whether you guys like it or not, RO2 is coming and no amount of bashing is going to stop the developers from working on it. Besides, if it's going to be as bad as people say it is, then players are going to flock back to RO since RO will stick around regardless. The playerbase isn't going anywhere, what's the big deal?

Besides, I think you guys should be more concerned about all the WoW elements Gravity is slowly slipping into RO:

- Character Window: You can also hide the stat window just like in WoW. Oh, crap.

- Colored Skill Icons: At least it's not retroactive. RO's just not RO without its monochromatic skill icons.

- Skill Tree: Next thing you know, they'll change them into talent trees and let us use active skills sooner. The horror!

- Status Icon Timers: Don't care if it looks different from WoW, it works the same darn way.

- Instance Dungeons: What next, a dungeon party finder? Wait...

- In-Game Lore & Stories Worth Reading: What is this witchcraft?

- Auction Houses: At least ours are all disconnected and there's a ridiculously high service fee. Can't have it be practical in RO now, can we? Sure dodged that bullet.

- Item Description Boxes: Item description boxes WITHOUT scroll bars? AND it'll allow us to compare item effects? NOOOO....

- Quest Window & Quest-tracking: The end is near!

- Costume tab: Oh, wait. This is a LOTRO feature. I guess that's fine since LOTRO's version lets you use ANY gear in the game whereas RO's version only lets you use gear designated as costume gear...

So unless you guys send thousands of stern and angry letters (in Korean) to the developers telling them to stop all these modifications, RO is going to turn into a 2.5D version of WoW and we can't have that!

i loled. you see it exactly the way i do. people bitter about massive improvements like these are just being stubborn

People use the term "wow clone" because if you really want to play wow, why wouldn't you just play the original? In this case (maybe not in apple's, but this one for sure) wow is GOING to be better than any spin off with a different name.

because WoW changed and is no longer fun. why not have other options that are similar but something much different? that keep the good parts but add in their own/add something better? its like, why read the same science fiction book over and over when theres a billion other science fiction books out there that are similar, but give you a different experience

#80 tigriss216

tigriss216

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • Server:both

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have no problem with RO 2 as long as they don't steal our Oda and Azzy. The other games already took the other Cool Mods/GMs

#81 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

i loled. you see it exactly the way i do. people bitter about massive improvements like these are just being stubborn

because WoW changed and is no longer fun. why not have other options that are similar but something much different? that keep the good parts but add in their own/add something better? its like, why read the same science fiction book over and over when theres a billion other science fiction books out there that are similar, but give you a different experience

You're not differ to being stubborn either. RO1 and RO2 has own pro and cons. All you do is spreading only pros on RO2 and saying as many as you can cons on RO1 and 90% of them are lies (like there is no quest, boring, merchant is useless)

tldr: It's not bad if you want to say RO2 is good game, but please do it without bashing another game. I don't hate RO2, I just hate 20 people like you bashing RO1 on RO2 community out there..

Edited by Exvee, 08 March 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#82 ExplosPlankton

ExplosPlankton

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

calling it a wow clone would be doing wow an injustice..it is a very poor imitation

#83 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Both games are broken, but they both have potential. Neither is better than the other.

/end thread

#84 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Because people fear change. They expect it to be Ragnarok 1 with better graphics, but it's an entirely different game. That and there's tons of other games that it is similar too, very hard to be unique with the 3D mmos of today.

#85 TheSquishy

TheSquishy

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1871 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Because people fear change. They expect it to be Ragnarok 1 with better graphics, but it's an entirely different game. That and there's tons of other games that it is similar too, very hard to be unique with the 3D mmos of today.

I don't believe it's about people fearing change at all: this is about branding and Ragnarok is a brand.
The whole point of establishing a brand is to foster customer loyalty towards your companies unique offering. Creating a brand is a very hard thing to do and takes years of investment. It is better to randomly create a new franchise to experiment with than to tarnish a brand by giving customers everything they know they didn't want. What gravity is doing from a marketing and management stand point is kinda suicidal.

#86 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

What makes all wow-genre MMO different than games like RO is, IMO, the gameplay speed. It's hard to have a fast-paced MMO when it's in 3D.

I think the reason there's so much hostility is that us RO players who like RO (RO 1 that is) see RO 2 as a threat which could possibly pull players away (even though, as oda mentioned, the intended audience is quite different, and most people who like RO 1 don't like RO2 anyway) from the game that we would continue to play, so thus we have an interest in derailing it it in any way possible. That's certainly the case for some of us - we feel our way of life is being threatened.

That said, RO2 sucks and none of you should ever play it. I know I haven't! :-P

I hope this is true, but I don't believe RO will live that long after RO2 comes out. I may be wrong though.

#87 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

RO2 would get bashing from the RO1 community for very obvious reasons.

The RO1 community has boiled down to pretty much die-hard fans of the old style MMO/gameplay design - spammy, fast and 'dangerous' (since a simple mistake in RO will easily kill you). RO2 does not share that with RO1. It's slower, more modern MMO-like, things don't hurt as much (comparatively to how much damage you can take). It's just a different game, different design, different theory behind what is fun and what isn't, what's balanced and what's not. I would be surprised if you managed to die in a single hit in a modern MMO -- but in Ragnarok, a single skilled Champion or Stringed biochemist can easily take out 5+ people in just a few seconds. RKs can level unprepared guilds. Etc. If one person ran at your guild in RO2, they wouldn't be capable of such feats. Different design, different theory.

So of course, when you have a community made up of about 75% super old school MMO lovers, they would scoff at anything not in the same style.

#88 Lucentos

Lucentos

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

One of most appealing things in the RO1 design is the extreme lethality in PvP where even one mistake in many cases means defeat. This thing is increasing skill requirement for master gameplay while in lesser lethality MMO there are more Gearoriented gameplay.

#89 Kanbei

Kanbei

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

ro2 is very very very suck game
suck graphic
game system suck
song suck
no fun when play ro2
we think ro2 is evolution of ro1 but ro2 is downgrade of ro1
that why everyone hate ro2

#90 Drak231

Drak231

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

ro2 is very very very suck game
suck graphic
game system suck
song suck
no fun when play ro2
we think ro2 is evolution of ro1 but ro2 is downgrade of ro1
that why everyone hate ro2

There's some amazing music though...

And those are only the ones I know from pre-release.

#91 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

...And then they built bird sound effects into the music. x_X Well the newer non-Yoko Kanno tracks they did that with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users