Post Your TRACERT here! - Page 2 - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Post Your TRACERT here!

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#26 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Hi.. I'm experiencing general lag everywhere... Here's my tracert to iro.ragnarokonline.com. Any solutions?

Try reading the first post.

#27 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

added notable servers at the first post. This will become handy for people who wants to verify their connectivity to other parts of the game (eg. Failed to connect to patch server, disconnection before character select screen)

#28 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas
  • Server:Chaos when no Time Gaps

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

The only problem I noticed is players were instructed to perform a tracert command to warpportal/playragnarok URLs which what we all know (or maybe not) that they pertain to the Warp Portal forum/patch/website server resides. and not the game servers. This is the main reason why most of our tracerts are fine while we lag in game (since we've been told to check a different place) and the management insisting that it's a end-user/client (that means YOU) problem which they advise to turn down the effects off. *facepalm*

List of Misleading addresses to do a tracert
playragnarok.com - official iRO website
patch1.playragnarok.com - file server where the patches reside (this is the place where the patcher downloads the files)
warpportal.com - official Warp Portal website
forums.warpportal.com - official Warp Portal forum (duh!)

Here's an example thread
http://forums.warppo.../96587-tracert/

AS OF MARCH 11, 2013

Other Notable Servers (For people having problems checking their connection to other important parts of the game)
FTP (Patch) Server - patch1.playragnarok.com (check 128.241.93.38 also if you need to verify if you're having DNS server issues)
Login Server - 128.241.92.162 (unpingable. Only accepts connection to port 6900 so I'm still trying to figure out how to explain checking the status in the simplest way possible)
Chaos Character Server - 128.241.92.98
Classic Character Server - 128.241.92.203

Javsy can you or anyone else clarify a couple of things for me please?

I live in Texas & have an above avg computer, along with a very high speed internet connection, so I should not be having any problems at all however I constantly get Time Gap Errors & Disconnects. Ever since this past maintenance now I am getting them many times a day where as before I would only get them once at day at the most. The other thing is this is happening when I only have two clients open & vending upstairs in Eden. I'm not even playing.

I've done tracerts & there is no problem on my end. I'm a little confused though on where to do a tracert to other then playragnarok.com. You also have this site listed under "Misleading Addresses to do a tracert to" which I thought was the main one to use. I also tried the IP address listed for the Chaos Server, which is the one I use, but at the end of the tracert it shows up as Valkyrie. Is it the right IP for Chaos?

Edited by Razzez, 12 April 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#29 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

you mean something like this?

Posted Image

If you see the same domain name as above, then pretty much that's correct. (and yes I have horrendous latency as you can see :p_laugh:)

Not really sure why they didn't changed the name. Maybe they're too lazy to change it after the merge :heh:.

I have updated the list to add Chaos Eden HQ and Prontera for everyone to use (sorry Classic players, I don't play there :wah: )

But it would be a different story if you're experiencing issues on a different zone (map server) as you need to send tracerts on what zone your character is currently roaming.

For classic players, if anyone knows how to get the map servers there, kindly share it here so we could add it up on the first post for everybody to see.

On a side note, I'll try to make a tool to provide more flexibility to create tracert logs without the hassle of knowing what what IP address to use depending on what map are you currently in. But i still have to download Visual Studio 2012 (my copy is legit so don't call the police!) that is 1GB total on a crappy connection. I'll keep you guys posted once I've installed it and done with the code. :p_smile:

Edited by Javsy, 12 April 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#30 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Javsy can you or anyone else clarify a couple of things for me please?

I live in Texas & have an above avg computer, along with a very high speed internet connection, so I should not be having any problems at all however I constantly get Time Gap Errors & Disconnects. Ever since this past maintenance now I am getting them many times a day where as before I would only get them once at day at the most. The other thing is this is happening when I only have two clients open & vending upstairs in Eden. I'm not even playing.

I've done tracerts & there is no problem on my end. I'm a little confused though on where to do a tracert to other then playragnarok.com. You also have this site listed under "Misleading Addresses to do a tracert to" which I thought was the main one to use. I also tried the IP address listed for the Chaos Server, which is the one I use, but at the end of the tracert it shows up as Valkyrie. Is it the right IP for Chaos?

traceroute is useless for diagnosing intermittent network problems because it only makes a single measurement at a single point in time. You instead need software that makes regular measurements over a long period of time — in your case, a period of several hours. I know of the following applications that are designed to do this:

• MTR — Free, open-source, and powerful, but unfortunately is difficult to run on Windows (I'm including it for the sake of completeness).
  • WinMTR — A free, partial clone of MTR for Windows.
  • PingPlotter — Premium, but a free trial is available. I've never tried it, but I know that networking gurus recommend it.
  • PathPing — Included with Windows since Windows XP, but despite being recommended by Blizzard, I've never managed to make it work.

you mean something like this?

[…]

But it would be a different story if you're experiencing issues on a different zone (map server) as you need to send tracerts on what zone your character is currently roaming.

I'm sorry to contradict you, but I don't think there is any benefit to using the addresses of specific game servers. :unsure: From what I've observed over the years, almost all of Gravity's servers are in the same LAN.

#31 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'm sorry to contradict you, but I don't think there is any benefit to using the addresses of specific game servers. :unsure: From what I've observed over the years, almost all of Gravity's servers are in the same LAN.

I agree the servers are in the network but depending on the network topology it can give different results (sometimes minimal) if you try to trace 2 different map servers (as they maybe connected on different branches on the network which might have different traffic level, on an heirarchal topology for example).

But nevertheless, we have already made full effort to help everyone up to the smallest detail.... So why not? :p_laugh:

Off-topic: I saw your telnet guide how to check the login server availability. Just exactly what I need! Simple to make normal people understand. I have already included it in the first post, I know you don't mind :heh: Nice work!

Edited by Javsy, 13 April 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#32 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

I agree the servers are in the network but depending on the network topology it can give different results (sometimes minimal) if you try to trace 2 different map servers (as they maybe connected on different branches on the network which might have different traffic level, on an heirarchal topology for example).

But nevertheless, we have already made full effort to help everyone up to the smallest detail.... So why not? :p_laugh:

I suppose it's possible, but I'd be surprised if using specific server addresses made any measurable difference. :) It's certainly more sound in terms of methodology, but I don't think recommending it is worth the confusion it would cause the average person. In my experience, most people hugely struggle even with copying complete commands into Command Prompt.

Off-topic: I saw your telnet guide how to check the login server availability. Just exactly what I need! Simple to make normal people understand. I have already included it in the first post, I know you don't mind :heh: Nice work!

"Normal people", haha.

Yes, I try to write all of my instructions in a format that anyone can understand. :)

#33 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I just want to say, I'm lagging (I won't get a tracert because it has lessened up a bit so it might not show anything), and this lag is the reason I noticed no difference between using and not using wtfast/lowerping in the past.

It went back to only being able to use 1 pot a second with wtfast.

#34 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

moved

Edited by Temp3MonthAcct, 14 April 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#35 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

The first few hops seems there is some kind of lagspikes on the Colorado routers it seems but taking multiple samples to identify the root cause better as mentioned by Axylus. And don't forget to send a ticket to WP support for them to check.

#36 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

The first few hops seems there is some kind of lagspikes on the Colorado routers it seems but taking multiple samples to identify the root cause better as mentioned by Axylus. And don't forget to send a ticket to WP support for them to check.

mine?

#37 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Javsy. My latency issue to their server isn't hardly as bad so I'm still not sure what's going on. The worse it gets up to is about 45 ms.

traceroute is useless for diagnosing intermittent network problems because it only makes a single measurement at a single point in time. You instead need software that makes regular measurements over a long period of time — in your case, a period of several hours. I know of the following applications that are designed to do this:

• MTR — Free, open-source, and powerful, but unfortunately is difficult to run on Windows (I'm including it for the sake of completeness).
  • WinMTR — A free, partial clone of MTR for Windows.
  • PingPlotter — Premium, but a free trial is available. I've never tried it, but I know that networking gurus recommend it.
  • PathPing — Included with Windows since Windows XP, but despite being recommended by Blizzard, I've never managed to make it work.

Thanks for the info but I don't have a Network Problem. I'm using Firefox all day long without a single problem. I have never had an issue doing anything at all before. Besides that I didn't used to have a problem with RO. Like everyone else the problems with the RO Latency have only gotten worse & worse especially since the merge. Ever since the maintenance that was done on 4/9 I now get the Time Gap Errors & Disconnected multiple times a day. Which doesn't even make sense since I am only vending & not even playing.

#38 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Spoiler

EDIT: know the IP of the mid TI?

EDIT: whoa, quick reply auto edits?

Edited by Temp3MonthAcct, 14 April 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#39 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

mine?

Nope. It's where the the iRO game server resides.

Thanks for the info but I don't have a Network Problem. I'm using Firefox all day long without a single problem. I have never had an issue doing anything at all before. Besides that I didn't used to have a problem with RO. Like everyone else the problems with the RO Latency have only gotten worse & worse especially since the merge. Ever since the maintenance that was done on 4/9 I now get the Time Gap Errors & Disconnected multiple times a day. Which doesn't even make sense since I am only vending & not even playing.

You could not really tell that you're not having problems on your part of the network as accessing different servers are different in almost everything (route and destination mostly). It's like you're living in Kansas and you're trying to compare a road trip to LA and New York. You may say that going to east is harder as the main roads exiting Kansas are blocked and you might need to find a detour. Same with networking. That is why doing traceroutes on the exact location helps. You'll never know when there's a road block and all your packets are detouring to the other side of the world.

Spoiler

EDIT: know the IP of the mid TI?

EDIT: whoa, quick reply auto edits?

Definitely there are consistent lagspikes popping from time to time on WP's side. You might go send a ticket along with the traceroute logs above and indicate the exact time when you performed it.

Not sure if it's worth getting mid TI address as I'm not sure if they also change it every week. But I'll try to confirm in the next few weeks if they do change or not.

You can also use the Spoliers option in the "special BBcode" functions just like what I did when i qouted your post above.

Edited by Javsy, 14 April 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#40 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

I agree. All the different IP's listed to do tracerts to isn't necessary when only the last number is different. The only reason to do a tracert to more then one IP is when the IP's last two set of numbers are different. Temps tracerts above prove that too. You are going to the same server regardless. There won't be a difference other then the time that you do the tracert ;)

You could not really tell that you're not having problems on your part of the network as accessing different servers are different in almost everything (route and destination mostly). It's like you're living in Kansas and you're trying to compare a road trip to LA and New York. You may say that going to east is harder as the main roads exiting Kansas are blocked and you might need to find a detour. Same with networking. That is why doing traceroutes on the exact location helps. You'll never know when there's a road block and all your packets are detouring to the other side of the world.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I said I've done tracerts. I've been doing them for months. That's why I said it was odd that my Latency only goes up to about 45 ms when getting to the server.

I'm in Texas as I said & I have no problems or delays to anywhere else. I bet I can connect & stay connected to the other side of the world with less problems then I can to RO.

FYI... I know all about Networking. I used to be a Network & Computer Admin :)

#41 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

Interesting to note here - map servers are being accessed on one gateway (128.241.92.6) which is way different on the other WP services (204.2.170.50 for their web for example) which is obviously on a different network/subnet. I think this is one of the main reasons to point out why people shouldn't really send traceroutes to playragnarok.com.

I agree. All the different IP's listed to do tracerts to isn't necessary when only the last number is different. The only reason to do a tracert to more then one IP is when the IP's last two set of numbers are different. Temps tracerts above prove that too. You are going to the same server regardless. There won't be a difference other then the time that you do the tracert ;)

depends on how they did their subnetting. You'll never know if they split the last number (octet) of their address and make a separate network out of it for their other services. But for the map servers, so far that I have checked (which is not even 20% of all the total maps) resides on the same network. They might do it on the other servers for load balancing purposes in the future though.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I said I've done tracerts. I've been doing them for months. That's why I said it was odd that my Latency only goes up to about 45 ms when getting to the server.

I'm in Texas as I said & I have no problems or delays to anywhere else. I bet I can connect & stay connected to the other side of the world with less problems then I can to RO.

FYI... I know all about Networking. I used to be a Network & Computer Admin :)

Have you identified what specific router where the spike mostly occurs? If it's along WP's network or almost near it then it's worth submitting a ticket.

Edited by Javsy, 14 April 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#42 Temp3MonthAcct

Temp3MonthAcct

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

sent ticket.

#43 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

Interesting to note here - map servers are being accessed on one gateway (128.241.92.6) which is way different on the other WP services (204.2.170.50 for their web for example) which is obviously on a different network/subnet. I think this is one of the main reasons to point out why people shouldn't really send traceroutes to playragnarok.com.

depends on how they did their subnetting. You'll never know if they split the last number (octet) of their address and make a separate network out of it for their other services. But for the map servers, so far that I have checked (which is not even 20% of all the total maps) resides on the same network. They might do it on the other servers for load balancing purposes in the future though.

Have you identified what specific router where the spike mostly occurs? If it's along WP's network or almost near it then it's worth submitting a ticket.

The first thing you are saying confirms what I was trying to say. Others & myself are having problems with Time Gap Errors & Disconnects on the Servers, which go through only the one Gateway & Server. This has nothing at all to do with other WP Services such as their Website, Patches, etc...

Tracerts to playragnarok.com will basically get you the same results as each IP to any of the servers. I'm sure the times will vary a few ms ea time just the same as they would duplicate each time you did one to playragnarok.

Sending in tickets is pointless. I've wasted my time sending in many tickets regarding this & Tech Support does absolutely nothing. Most of the time they just say to contact your local ISP. They won't do a thing. I've been talking to Oda directly & giving him the information. He was the one that told me about this thread.

You can see my exact tracert & why it makes no sense since the latency is minimal compared to most people however I just re-connected again to vend & got another Time Gap Error within less then 2 hours on both my clients.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>tracert 128.241.92.98

Tracing route to valkyrie-char.1.online.ragnarok.warpportal.net [128.241.92.98]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 17 ms 13 ms 28 ms L100.DLLSTX-VFTTP-51.verizon-gni.net [173.71.58.1]
3 12 ms 10 ms 13 ms G0-5-2-7.DLLSTX-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.107.114]
4 8 ms 9 ms 11 ms so-4-1-0-0.DFW9-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.151.244]
5 11 ms 9 ms 10 ms 0.xe-9-1-0.BR2.DFW13.ALTER.NET [152.63.100.61]
6 11 ms 9 ms 12 ms 204.255.168.158
7 20 ms 12 ms 10 ms ae-6.r20.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.66]
8 41 ms 39 ms 43 ms ae-5.r20.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.168]
9 42 ms 42 ms 42 ms ae-1.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.230]
10 44 ms 43 ms 44 ms xe-0-0-0-15.r05.lsanca03.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [198.172.90.170]
11 41 ms 41 ms 44 ms ragnarok.demarcation.gravityus.com [128.241.92.6]
12 46 ms 42 ms 41 ms valkyrie-char.1.online.ragnarok.warpportal.net [128.241.92.98]

Trace complete.

#44 Javsy

Javsy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Tracerts to playragnarok.com will basically get you the same results as each IP to any of the servers. I'm sure the times will vary a few ms ea time just the same as they would duplicate each time you did one to playragnarok.

Also true that you're pointing out that almost everything of their service is connected on the same router 198.172.90.170 (their ISP) that is already outside of their own internal netowork. But take note that if their main ISP router 98.172.90.170 is routing the traffic to their web servers without problems doesn't mean that would be the same case on the wire going to the map servers.

There will always be a chance (and happens very often) that routers are only problematic on selected interfaces. As you have already mentioned that you have already professional background in networking as what you claimed, I'm sure you are already aware of it.

You can see my exact tracert & why it makes no sense since the latency is minimal compared to most people however I just re-connected again to vend & got another Time Gap Error within less then 2 hours on both my clients.

Hang in there as we're not in the same page here (as I am confused myself) :hmm:

I would like to point this out that lag and connection timeouts are entirely different things though they can be caused by lagspikes. Timeouts in a sense can be triggered when a lagspike is severe (usually more than 5 or 10 seconds) which stops the continuous flow of data back and forth to the server to keep the connection alive. This is something that is difficult to pinpoint with a traceroute since it only happens on a very specific moment when it's already too late to be captured and logged. Unlike continous game lag, it can be captured as you are experiencing while you're sending a traceroute.

In other words, this thread could not help you on disconnections (or any other tracerouting tools existing). A shame it maybe, the GM/support team are the only ones who can answer that question of yours. I agree that that they should not turn a blind eye about it but the nature of the problem is already hard to deal with as it's kind of issue that is hard to replicate. But the support team should check the logs on their sides at least.

Edited by Javsy, 15 April 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#45 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Also true that you're pointing out that almost everything of their service is connected on the same router 198.172.90.170 (their ISP) that is already outside of their own internal netowork. But take note that if their main ISP router 98.172.90.170 is routing the traffic to their web servers without problems doesn't mean that would be the same case on the wire going to the map servers.

There will always be a chance (and happens very often) that routers are only problematic on selected interfaces. As you have already mentioned that you have already professional background in networking as what you claimed, I'm sure you are already aware of it.

Hang in there as we're not in the same page here (as I am confused myself) :hmm:

I would like to point this out that lag and connection timeouts are entirely different things though they can be caused by lagspikes. Timeouts in a sense can be triggered when a lagspike is severe (usually more than 5 or 10 seconds) which stops the continuous flow of data back and forth to the server to keep the connection alive. This is something that is difficult to pinpoint with a traceroute since it only happens on a very specific moment when it's already too late to be captured and logged. Unlike continous game lag, it can be captured as you are experiencing while you're sending a traceroute.

In other words, this thread could not help you on disconnections (or any other tracerouting tools existing). A shame it maybe, the GM/support team are the only ones who can answer that question of yours. I agree that that they should not turn a blind eye about it but the nature of the problem is already hard to deal with as it's kind of issue that is hard to replicate. But the support team should check the logs on their sides at least.

I didn't see the IP 198.172.90.170 listed in the list showing that that was their ISP. Had I known that it would have confirmed what I have suspected all along which is that the problem is with their ISP & NOT their Servers. I never have been able to get an answer from the GM's as to what ISP Service they are using & whether or not they even have a dedicated line going to the Server. Depending on the type & speed of the service they have, along with this, could be the reason for all the problems. We know in the past they have had their ISP out to fix issues in the past.

Of course lags & time gaps errors are different. When I would be playing & had lag issues, it would of course delay movement, etc... not disconnect me. I've only been talking about vending & getting time gap errors, along with disconnects, multiple times a day.

GM's & Tech Support have too much to do as it is already. The problems that I & others have with Time Gap Errors & Disconnects seems to either be, the least of their concern, or they simply just don't know what to do to fix it. It doesn't help any that the person over them & the Ticket System is of even less help.

At least Oda cares & is trying to help get something done. Personally I think the only real solution is that they get a new ISP with a better service then they currently have now. I think they are trying to save money in the wrong place and/or places.

Thanks again...

#46 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I didn't see the IP 198.172.90.170 listed in the list showing that that was their ISP. Had I known that it would have confirmed what I have suspected all along which is that the problem is with their ISP & NOT their Servers. I never have been able to get an answer from the GM's as to what ISP Service they are using & whether or not they even have a dedicated line going to the Server. Depending on the type & speed of the service they have, along with this, could be the reason for all the problems. We know in the past they have had their ISP out to fix issues in the past.

The servers are located inside one of NTT's Internet data centres. :)

Of course lags & time gaps errors are different. When I would be playing & had lag issues, it would of course delay movement, etc... not disconnect me. I've only been talking about vending & getting time gap errors, along with disconnects, multiple times a day.

GM's & Tech Support have too much to do as it is already. The problems that I & others have with Time Gap Errors & Disconnects seems to either be, the least of their concern, or they simply just don't know what to do to fix it. It doesn't help any that the person over them & the Ticket System is of even less help.

At least Oda cares & is trying to help get something done. Personally I think the only real solution is that they get a new ISP with a better service then they currently have now. I think they are trying to save money in the wrong place and/or places.

Thanks again...

If I was experiencing the same problem as you, then I would isolate its cause by doing the following in order:

• Connect my computer to my router via Ethernet (assuming it was previously connected via Wi-Fi).
  • Install Linux and leave the RO client running in it overnight.
  • Leave my computer at a friend's house overnight — ideally a friend who uses a different ISP to myself. (Obviously, this may be impractical if your computer isn't portable.)
  • Use a different router (bought cheaply through eBay).

I would also leave some software that can detect and log packet loss running constantly.

#47 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

1. Check if the clock is running too fast or too slow.
2. Leave WinDump running while vending, check the last few lines after getting DCed.

#48 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

The servers are located inside one of NTT's Internet data centres. :)

That post by Hastur was made back in 2009! They've long since moved their servers to another location.

#49 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

If I was experiencing the same problem as you, then I would isolate its cause by doing the following in order:

• Connect my computer to my router via Ethernet (assuming it was previously connected via Wi-Fi).
  • Install Linux and leave the RO client running in it overnight.
  • Leave my computer at a friend's house overnight — ideally a friend who uses a different ISP to myself. (Obviously, this may be impractical if your computer isn't portable.)
  • Use a different router (bought cheaply through eBay).
I would also leave some software that can detect and log packet loss running constantly.

I am not using a wireless connection. I have a PC not a Laptop so Step 3 is out. I am running Win XP so I'm not going to wipe out my hard drive to install Linux & then run into issues with installing my original software.

I have Verizon Fios & have had their service for over 6 years now. I have had this router replaced & upgraded over that time & am currently using the most recent one they have available. If necessary I can get it replaced for free versus having to purchase one. It's an Actiontec Router. My connection speed is 75/35.

Thanks for the info!

1. Check if the clock is running too fast or too slow.
2. Leave WinDump running while vending, check the last few lines after getting DCed.

Which clock? My CPU? I have an Intel 3.0 Quad CPU running at 3.89 currently. I originally had it running too fast & was running into other issues but I no longer am. I slowly went up & made sure there were no problems at all before increasing it any farther, & decided this was high enough, so I didn't try to push it more. Also it's been running at this speed before all these Gap Errors & Disconnects started happening multiple times a day.

I believe I said this before, I'm not the only one having this many problems, others have also said they too have had more problems with these errors ever since the 4/9 maintenance. Something changed as usual which is causing more problems then normal.

Thanks for the reply & the info. I will try this too.

#50 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

That post by Hastur was made back in 2009! They've long since moved their servers to another location.

Unless Gravity no longer house their servers in an IDC, then I don't see how that is relevant.

I am not using a wireless connection. I have a PC not a Laptop so Step 3 is out. I am running Win XP so I'm not going to wipe out my hard drive to install Linux & then run into issues with installing my original software.

[…]

You can easily install Linux on an external disc drive or Flash drive. Ubuntu Linux can even be installed on the same partition as Windows using Wubi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users