3/12 Gravity Founder's Day maintenance - Page 10 - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

3/12 Gravity Founder's Day maintenance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
248 replies to this topic

#226 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos when no Time Gaps

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

That's why I said compatibility issue, not speed issue.
It's hard to clarify what this compatibility issue is, but I heard about some ISPs lost certain bits in packets while communicating to specific servers due to format difference or whatever reason, and this can cause severe lags for game clients that needs to decode those packets. I guess it'll help the GMs to figure out what the exact problem is if you can ask some of your friends who have similar network setting to test if they lag on iRO.
By the way I do run multi client of 3, but the only problem I have is CPU not enough...freezing my laptop lol

If you aren't aware of the problem that exists no matter what we keep saying you aren't going to understand. You can't say 50% or more of the users on here have a compatibility issue. The problem is with RO. RO is aware they have a problem. Oda is & has been trying to get it resolved for some time know. He just hasn't been able to get other people to make it a Priority. They first tried to reduce the Lag with WoE by terminating pets & other things such as certain skills but nothing has been done to reduce the Server Wide Latency Issue which many people experience. You can ask around. There are many people the get the Time Gap Errors & Disconnects multiple times a day. We just happen to be the main two saying anything about it.

Network Settings don't have anything to do with this & aren't the issue. If they were then you would have a problem with the speed test also.

#227 korganjartek

korganjartek

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Server:Odin

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Several internet service providers do have issues with Ragnarok, but an easy way to get around that is to stop using their DNS servers. Google public DNS servers or the business grade DNS servers for your ISP are good ways to go. Comcast is the biggest one i know of that has issues with Ragnarok. I have them, and as long as I don't use their home DNS servers, i can connect easily, although there is still lag. I've played on multiple ISP's, namely all the big ones in Arizona, and I still have latency issues with Ragnarok. It is not my computer, since its custom built and is roughly equivalent to a top end Gaming PC (such as Alienware PC's) and I can play any other game, usually with 2-4 windows of it up, without any issues whatsoever.

#228 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

You must understand that I have an attention span roughly equivalent to that of an average housecat, so I tend to (not fairly I know) respond more quickly in cases where I know the answer or have the person in front of me that can get that answer for me. It is much easier to chime in on fun or silly threads than ones that require careful research, technical issues and thoughtful contrition. If I do not reply, it does not mean that I did not read it or report the issue up- I work everyday to represent the often ingenious, contradictory and ornery interests and suggestions of the iRO community when choices are being made by the team.

I know that we do not often see eye to eye Razzez, but I do understand where you are coming from on this and appreciate you keeping my "feet on the fire". It's doesn't feel like much progress is being made when all I have to say is "we are working on it" or "it's already been answered in a different thread" even if that is the honest truth, so the tendency is to not respond to those as quickly.

In many cases, the askers of those questions have sent me PMs asking the question directly and I have answered them as much as I am able. Whether they are satisfied with that or not is another issue...

Thank you for the response Oda & I know you are trying to get things done even if you don't haven an answer yet.

You're better then the average housecat though. Mine just lays around & sleeps all day.

I also do appreciate your putting in the VIP Event this week, that I brought up being done, last week.

#229 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

It's doesn't feel like much progress is being made when all I have to say is "we are working on it" or "it's already been answered in a different thread" even if that is the honest truth, so the tendency is to not respond to those as quickly.

You're right, progress hasn't really been made. The situation with lag for WoE hasn't gotten any better since the merge, and the situation with general, non-WoE lag has gotten progressively worse.

I am hoping for this to just be an issue with NTT and that it will be fixed when the issues with them are resolved. Last year we had issues for this long it was a DDoS, and I'm praying it isn't that but when issues are present this long...

It's pretty apparent Classic is getting attacked badly by DDoSes with their massive outages lately, but that's another topic altogether.

I don't fault you for not being able to fix things at my/our whim, Oda. You're (no offense!) just a messenger.

I do fault you, though, for often appearing to ignore topics because you "don't have a definitive answer". If all you know is the support staff or what-have-you says they're "working on it", why can't you just tell us that?

Vague answers like that do irritate me, that's true, mainly because it makes me feel that the people who originate it (in this case the support staff) aren't doing a good job and they can't tell their fellow workers or higher-ups (I don't know what the rankings are like for WP to know if Oda is a higher rank) what they are doing. I'd hope they're working on it! But what is "it"? What "work" are they doing? Why is Oda never told anything?

If it was a problem with my connection routing to WP, LowerPing would more or less fix it. While it's true LowerPing speeds up gameplay a little bit (it will no matter how lagless you are normally), it's not that significant. The main reason is obvious: It's not an issue with me connecting to their servers, so LowerPing would naturally not be that beneficial.

I hope to see things fixed some time soon. I miss playing RO, but as things stand it isn't fun to play when you feel like playing the game is the equivalent of trudging through very thick mud because it's so slow.

I'd love the VIP event too if the game was playable.

Edited by MrTyranitar, 14 March 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#230 Yggdrasil13

Yggdrasil13

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1116 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

If you aren't aware of the problem that exists no matter what we keep saying you aren't going to understand. You can't say 50% or more of the users on here have a compatibility issue. The problem is with RO. RO is aware they have a problem. Oda is & has been trying to get it resolved for some time know. He just hasn't been able to get other people to make it a Priority. They first tried to reduce the Lag with WoE by terminating pets & other things such as certain skills but nothing has been done to reduce the Server Wide Latency Issue which many people experience. You can ask around. There are many people the get the Time Gap Errors & Disconnects multiple times a day. We just happen to be the main two saying anything about it.

Network Settings don't have anything to do with this & aren't the issue. If they were then you would have a problem with the speed test also.

If the main reason to the lag was packet drop then this is clearly ISP compatibility problem, not hardware.
There must be a reason to the difference between me and your situation, not luck.
By the way, have you used lower ping and does it solve the situation?
I ain't saying that go use this if you lag, but thought if it does make any changes to the situation, \GMs can narrow down the range of the cause to the problem

Edited by Yggdrasil13, 14 March 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#231 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I know it is very cliche, but the tracerts do help. We have been focused on the WoE latency, but really hadn't been getting detailed reports with tracerts for cases of server-wide lag. We focused on Renewal, then Classic castle lag and then had the comcast issue to deal with in the last few weeks, but it's a good time for us to get reports on server latency. At least in the cases I've seen tracerts on during the last two weeks, it has shown more lag and dropped packets once the connections reach our ISP. When we get together enough reports showing a single or set of routers that come up in multiple reports showing these issues it's very very easy to present a case to NTT to get things fixed quickly.

#232 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I know it is very cliche, but the tracerts do help.

How tracerts to the RO website are helping the individual game servers I don't know.

but really hadn't been getting detailed reports with tracerts for cases of server-wide lag

See, Oda, this is why people get kinda angry when they respond to you.

People HAVE sent in detailed reports about this. People HAVE sent in tracerts. I sent you a tracert from when the servers literally crashed and one from recently with all the bad lag and you didn't even see that much of a difference.

I made a topic that you pre-emptive closed and then by request reopened that had numerous users reported their lag issues. Every week in the maintenance topics people report lag issues. I'm sure you get PMs or support tickets with tracerts or other such things about lag issues. This isn't underreported at all.

Of course non-WoE lag won't be reported as thoroughly or detailed as WoE-related lag because a lot of PvMers don't even speak English or frequent the forums, whereas most WoEers do speak English and lots visit the forums. This does not mean that it's been underreported, though.

Edited by MrTyranitar, 14 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#233 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Several internet service providers do have issues with Ragnarok, but an easy way to get around that is to stop using their DNS servers. Google public DNS servers or the business grade DNS servers for your ISP are good ways to go. Comcast is the biggest one i know of that has issues with Ragnarok. I have them, and as long as I don't use their home DNS servers, i can connect easily, although there is still lag. I've played on multiple ISP's, namely all the big ones in Arizona, and I still have latency issues with Ragnarok. It is not my computer, since its custom built and is roughly equivalent to a top end Gaming PC (such as Alienware PC's) and I can play any other game, usually with 2-4 windows of it up, without any issues whatsoever.

I also custom built my computer & every computer that I've ever owned.

My ISP is with Verizon FIOS.

Since I've been playing RO I've always had the same ISP. The only change I made was to increase the Connection Speed when they had a faster speed become available.

The problems on RO with the Gap Errors & Disconnects constantly vary though. They didn't used to be like this over a year ago when I started playing. The problem has just become worse after the merge. Still the errors are random. Like right after maintenance you either have them for awhile or you don't.

Any computer I've ever setup, the Internet has always been set to, auto to obtain a DNS server. Personally I can't even began to see how even 10% of the people playing RO would know how to change the DNS settings.

#234 korganjartek

korganjartek

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

The funny thing is that it takes less than 2 minutes razzez. There are several Threads on the forums the go into exacting detail on how to change your DNS server, though. I would suggest looking those up if you are interested in doing that route. But i dont think that will help with disconnects and gap errors. that sounds like something else. still, its something to try, that may help. those same threads also have a packet fix too, though i HIGHLY suggest doing that carefully. messing with your registry can cause some serious problems if you mess that up.

#235 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

I know it is very cliche, but the tracerts do help. We have been focused on the WoE latency, but really hadn't been getting detailed reports with tracerts for cases of server-wide lag. We focused on Renewal, then Classic castle lag and then had the comcast issue to deal with in the last few weeks, but it's a good time for us to get reports on server latency. At least in the cases I've seen tracerts on during the last two weeks, it has shown more lag and dropped packets once the connections reach our ISP. When we get together enough reports showing a single or set of routers that come up in multiple reports showing these issues it's very very easy to present a case to NTT to get things fixed quickly.

What do you mean by they help? The reason I ask is because I used to send in tickets reporting these issues & problems but instead of support & help all I got were complaints from David about the amount of tickets I was sending in. So I said I would stop & I haven't sent in tickets since unless I've absolutely had to. I became very disappointed in the responses & the lack of support I was receiving from Tech Support on top of the fact that most of the replies were generic & no one seemed to have any real interest in what was actually going on.

#236 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

The funny thing is that it takes less than 2 minutes razzez. There are several Threads on the forums the go into exacting detail on how to change your DNS server, though. I would suggest looking those up if you are interested in doing that route. But i dont think that will help with disconnects and gap errors. that sounds like something else. still, its something to try, that may help. those same threads also have a packet fix too, though i HIGHLY suggest doing that carefully. messing with your registry can cause some serious problems if you mess that up.

I know how to change my DNS if I wanted to but I agree with you I have never felt there was a need to.

If you saw my previous post you would see I don't have any packet loss.

I have no problems editing my registry when necessary. I've been working on computers since I was a kid so I'm always careful when I do ;)

Sometimes it's the only way to really delete a program.

Like I said though, those errors I mentioned, are not just experienced by me, but many others on RO. I made a post awhile back just to make sure.

#237 korganjartek

korganjartek

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

yes, i saw the long continuous ping. I don't mean to offend, but im one of the few of my friends who actually knows how to work computers, so i always assume that people dont know what they are doing with theirs haha. if you were using comcast, you would have to use the google DNS. for like two days i couldnt connect, til i realized i reset my DNS to autofind haha.

#238 visou

visou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Is boxster in yet? Where do you find this npc?

#239 ashS1

ashS1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1162 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Is boxster in yet? Where do you find this npc?

I dunno whether Boxster is in or out, but she's sits in EDEN 2F..right in front of where Enriched stands..( she sits in a comfy looking sofa/chair )

#240 iZap

iZap

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

uhh, was the cake hat costume drop rate buff npc removed? shes not next to pront tool shop any more and i can't find any notices of her being moved :hmm:

Edited by iZap, 14 March 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#241 ashS1

ashS1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1162 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

uhh, was the cake hat costume drop rate buff npc removed? shes not next to pront tool shop any more and i can't find any notices of her being moved :hmm:

She was accidentally removed during this week's Maintainence..She will return to her spot this tuesday again.:)

#242 NukeDuke

NukeDuke

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Why does some characters cannot talk to NPC O'Reily?

#243 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

see the pinned guide. you can just skip to the next step and talk to the knight at the entrance to hugel

#244 Lovebane

Lovebane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

Sorry, but people asking and explaining the VIP bonus over on page 6 are confusing since I haven't been on in a while, especially since ODA is saying it's until the 20th here and on facebook or what not saying it ends on the 26th.

Is the VIP rate set to 50%(x1.5) or 100%(x2) or 200%(x3)

Considering popping in for a quick medal xp level boost session but only if ( XP * 2) * BMX3 or ( XP * 3) * BMX3
is active..

#245 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Sorry, but people asking and explaining the VIP bonus over on page 6 are confusing since I haven't been on in a while, especially since ODA is saying it's until the 20th here and on facebook or what not saying it ends on the 26th.

Is the VIP rate set to 50%(x1.5) or 100%(x2) or 200%(x3)

Considering popping in for a quick medal xp level boost session but only if ( XP * 2) * BMX3 or ( XP * 3) * BMX3
is active..

VIP is normally 50% - right now it's boosted to 100% and the event was intended to go till 20th but has been extended till 26th.

#246 Lovebane

Lovebane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

VIP is normally 50% - right now it's boosted to 100% and the event was intended to go till 20th but has been extended till 26th.

Awesome. Thanks.

#247 Irreparable

Irreparable

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Awesome. Thanks.

You're welcome.

#248 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for saying something on here about it being extended since once again it was only put on Facebook & nobody bothered to mention it on here or update the initial post to let us know on the forum that it had been.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. NOT all of us use Facebook to keep up to date on events. The forum is here for a reason. You post ALMOST everything that is happening on here to let the community know. If you want to post something on Facebook that's fine but that should NOT exclude the fact that it still should ALWAYS be POSTED on the FORUM.

#249 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for saying something on here about it being extended since once again it was only put on Facebook & nobody bothered to mention it on here or update the initial post to let us know on the forum that it had been.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. NOT all of us use Facebook to keep up to date on events. The forum is here for a reason. You post ALMOST everything that is happening on here to let the community know. If you want to post something on Facebook that's fine but that should NOT exclude the fact that it still should ALWAYS be POSTED on the FORUM.

Exp loss should be at 1/4 instead of 1/3 for the duration, and yes we are extending it by another week.

it was posted on forums, just not on a pinned thread so not everyone read it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users