is it even possible to get a warlock to 150 on a free account - Mage Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

is it even possible to get a warlock to 150 on a free account

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 shpongled

shpongled

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

im currently 91 high wiz and have been 91 for a day or 2 now. 12 deaths in a row due to bad priests/tanks/parties. even with witchhat combo i cant keep myself up to the crap im getting slaughtered by (mostly gwing accidents). 3% exp loss per death is absolutely devastating at this level and i keep watching my exp bar ping pong from half full back to 0. Most parties dont really care to protect their aoe investments and alot of people dont care because they have VIP and dying isnt really a big deal to them.

If its this bad at this level, i dont even want to imagine what its going to be like past 100. seriously, is it even possible to get to 150 without gauging out your own eyes, blowing a vessel in your eyeball, or suffering a rage enduced heart attack? it must take either an ungodly long time, or ALOT of leeching

#2 jsquishy

jsquishy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

I had the same problem, so I used my eden tokens to get life insurance. You get 5 per 5 tokens, and it saves 3% each time you die.

#3 kiefer

kiefer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • LocationNext Door

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Do you have vit? Are you using energy coat? If not that is probably why you are dying alot. I have 50 vit on my wiz sporting 5k hp before trans, Current TI is deadly for low HP characters sonic blow teddies suicide destruction and claymore traps can oneshot wizzies with HP below 3k. You don't need fast cast if you die after casting spells.

#4 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Get a fire armor if you can for self destruct/claymores

#5 kitsunemimimode

kitsunemimimode

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

use a valkyrie shield :D

#6 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

claymore traps ignore fire reduction so =/

#7 Rirezz

Rirezz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

The EXP curve does take a turn for the extremely-hard past 95 or so. As you get used to mastering warlock, though, and you start bringing more potions and getting better gear, you can usually avoid dying a lot.

And yes, energy coat. I'm appalled at the amount of people who don't use it. It's really good, keep it on at all times.

#8 shpongled

shpongled

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Do you have vit? Are you using energy coat? If not that is probably why you are dying alot. I have 50 vit on my wiz sporting 5k hp before trans, Current TI is deadly for low HP characters sonic blow teddies suicide destruction and claymore traps can oneshot wizzies with HP below 3k. You don't need fast cast if you die after casting spells.

40vit currently, prob going for 50-60 (not like you get much hp from vit points anyways though). always have energy coat on but the current mobs 1 shot me with sonic blow, and last weeks mobs 1 shot me with claymore traps/suicide teddy into claymore trap. they keep putting in these crappy mobs that 1 shot you. its almost like they purposely want to slow our leveling down by killing us repeatedly with stupid overpowered monster skills. i wear witch hat with pumpkins for maximum survivability, but you cant heal through a 1 shot. im losing so much exp that 99 seems like a mirage now unless i leech all my parties and never get hit by anything. as for 150.....lol, i honestly never expect this character to get to 150 with the current rate of exp loss (unless by some miracle i can afford a diablos set for more HP)

Edited by shpongled, 21 March 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#9 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Medals? that can help as well.

#10 kitsunemimimode

kitsunemimimode

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

i dunno how you're blowing up so much.. i have 6k-7k hp Pre-warlock and i was left at red hp from the traps. unless your party deliberately steps on traps on puposes, you should die. always stay in the middle of the group. if you're in a moving party, stay away from the front and dont get left behind either. you can spam frost nova or use lvl 1 storm gust to escape mobs.

#11 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

What about getting a sac paladin to help out?? that way, you won't die as easy as before.

#12 shpongled

shpongled

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Medals? that can help as well.

do you mean medal of honor? im actually saving up for them right now since i have 2 freed up accessory slots (got orleans armor now)

What about getting a sac paladin to help out?? that way, you won't die as easy as before.

i really wish there were more sac palis out there, but everyone seems to be rolling either monk, sage, or alchemist these days. RARELY see crusader classes ever

#13 Qani

Qani

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1032 posts
  • LocationEden floor 2

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Are you trying this for your personal goal to 150 without vip? If not I don't see why wouldn't anyone spend 7 dollar or 80m money to make your life 10x easiere. Let's not talk about the amount of time you've wasted gaining abysmal exp while losing more dying.

#14 MrTyranitar

MrTyranitar

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:lol

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Are you trying this for your personal goal to 150 without vip? If not I don't see why wouldn't anyone spend 7 dollar or 80m money to make your life 10x easiere. Let's not talk about the amount of time you've wasted gaining abysmal exp while losing more dying.

How do you figure 80m money? VIP isn't tradeable and the lowest amount of WPE you can get in a code is 1k, which is like 170m+ last I checked.

#15 kiefer

kiefer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • LocationNext Door

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I guess what you lack now are resistance gears, during my wizard days i only wear eden staff II and a shield with proper racial card(common race in TI are brute, demon, undead and formless) and also fire armor helps alot in low TI as well as high TI seeing as most mobs in those TI uses alot of fire element attacks that can destroy you in a few hits. Also since you are using witch pumpkin hat i would recommend you to start potting as soon as you take damage, do not wait for the priest to heal you and keep your hp at a healthy full.

#16 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

do you mean medal of honor? im actually saving up for them right now since i have 2 freed up accessory slots (got orleans armor now)

i really wish there were more sac palis out there, but everyone seems to be rolling either monk, sage, or alchemist these days. RARELY see crusader classes ever

Nope lol, Hugel medals... those give you experience when you exchange them.

Also, back in the day, when there was no TI's, it was easy to find a party with pali and even duo/trio with HP Nameless and such.

#17 Nero89

Nero89

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

it is possible...though be prepared with lots of "mental potion" irl in achieving that, pun-intended

#18 Kieri

Kieri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Server:Nothing.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Of course it's possible if you have the time and dedication.

#19 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

You can always avoid death penalty by buying those scroll things from kafra or whoever sells it. Those are not hard to get at all.

Other than that, yah, perseverance and good party always helps a lot.

#20 shpongled

shpongled

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Nope lol, Hugel medals... those give you experience when you exchange them.

Also, back in the day, when there was no TI's, it was easy to find a party with pali and even duo/trio with HP Nameless and such.

yea its really sad now. i tried for a week to get a hugel novus party going to take advantage of spotlight, but cant find any tanks willing to go. people rather just do TI

#21 Nero89

Nero89

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

novus is annoying as hell with fast walk speed n fast hit, though u need high flee or multi SW to avoid it, it didnt worth it if u cant bring in other willing tanker too. Its doable, but annoying. Ice cave is your bff, btw

#22 Kieri

Kieri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Server:Nothing.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Or Abbey floor two right, Storm gust is lethal there.

Edited by Kieri, 24 March 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#23 Karusan

Karusan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

HiWiz is so much weaker than it was pre-renewal - you used to be able to find a priest to duo magma1, ctho, or gh no problem, or even solo for reasonable xp. I remember having trouble with wiz myself after renewal, but I got to warlock with a lot of perseverance. It is VERY worth it, and wl is very rewarding and ties the whole wiz class together with reading spellbook.

If you want to be able to solo, energy coat, frost nova, quagmire, and firewall are your BFFs. Fireball10 is extremely powerful until you hit warlock and can carry you from job level 15 mage until you hit third job. Soulstrike 9 is also viable in GH abbey -> graveyard on evil druids/wraiths/dark priests if you augment it with a banshee card, and use staff of destruction. SS9 should one-shot the druids early on, and 2-shot the dark priests, which will get you to 99. Both spells are quite useless as warlock though, since they have much more powerful ghost and fire spells, but you can skill reset then if you want. If you have to pick and won't be spending money to reset, go with SS9, since you need SS7 anyway for soul drain. I also picked up SP Recovery Lv 10, which makes a HUGE difference in downtime.

Storm Gust isn't really viable when soloing unless you're using level 1 to freeze mobs, in which case frost nova is easier. It's really not hard, and (high) wizard to warlock is by far the most fun class in ragnarok. Once you hit third job, you can solo very very easily with jackfrost/crimson rock.

I got to warlock without VIP, so it can be done. Echoing the advice about energy coat, there should absolutely never be a time that this isn't active on you. Normally warlocks/wiz use 2-hand staff, so the reduction is critical since you won't be using shields unless in pvp. The SP-drain shouldn't be a problem because you should only get hit if you mess up.

Edited by Karusan, 26 March 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#24 shpongled

shpongled

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

this weeks TI was a nightmare for me. anytime i was below 90% hp or forgot to update energy coat, i would get 1 shot instantly by sonic blow. ended up probably losing about 10 levels worth of exp this week trying to get from 90-99. im still currently 94. was in a bad party last night with a crappy priest that wouldnt heal me and had 5 deaths in a row (15% exp loss), that made me ragequit since i only get 15% for TI at this level. i swear its taking a month just to get from 90-99. absolutely ridiculous. meanwhile my vip guildies are getting 4 levels for a turnin cuz of the x2 exp they get and just from the exp bonus for being vip.

lol my guild wont even let me MVP with them because im not vip and ill ruin the drop rate ratio. gravity really took a fat dump on us

#25 Karusan

Karusan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

this weeks TI was a nightmare for me. anytime i was below 90% hp or forgot to update energy coat, i would get 1 shot instantly by sonic blow. ended up probably losing about 10 levels worth of exp this week trying to get from 90-99. im still currently 94. was in a bad party last night with a crappy priest that wouldnt heal me and had 5 deaths in a row (15% exp loss), that made me ragequit since i only get 15% for TI at this level. i swear its taking a month just to get from 90-99. absolutely ridiculous. meanwhile my vip guildies are getting 4 levels for a turnin cuz of the x2 exp they get and just from the exp bonus for being vip.

lol my guild wont even let me MVP with them because im not vip and ill ruin the drop rate ratio. gravity really took a fat dump on us

You don't have to do TI's below level 100. Just grind solo in roween/GH/ice dungeon, depending on your skill build.

If you have firewall in your build, learn vertical firewall, an archaic skill that many don't know how to do anymore, but will let you amass huge mobs all by yourself.

If you don't have firewall, use quick cast spells like soulstrike/fireball with frost nova or quagmire. You shouldn't be even getting hit, let alone dying. Get a Heal clip if you can afford it, it's a wiz's most valuable possession, even more than his staff.

It's really not hard to hit 99 even non vip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users