13 replies to this topic

#1 KDLizzy

KDLizzy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

What do you guys think would be the best build for an archer/ranger which works well with teams as well as solo?
Also i noticed that this game doesn't have a Dex stat, what would i have to use to get a got hit and speed ratio?

#2 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Essentially.. go with this skeleton build
http://www.ro2skills...10dnkFlb2feFqn1
and then decide how much you want to PVP. If you want to PVP, then level up skills in the tree on the right. The Arrow Shower on the left is nice for parties in dungeons, but is not necessary for PVE.
(Disclaimer: not all skill descriptions may apply to this server. Example: Wind Walk in the simulator says it boosts aspd. Wind Walk in seaRO2 boosts Haste, which reduces casting times for all skills.)

As for stats, stats are drastically different from RO1, and actually don't mean much in the long run. Your equipment is what matters the most. But here's what each stat does (per 1 point):
STR - 2 atk power, 2 parry
AGI - 4 crit, 2 dodge
INT - 2 mag power, 2 parry
WIS - 10 SP (no matter what class you are, don't raise this)
VIT - 6 HP

The highest you can raise a stat is 50.

You may be wondering then, how much does 100 atk mean then?
By endgame, you'll probably have well over 2-3k atk from your equipment, depending on what class you are. So 100 is... not much.

You may also be thinking then, 4% crit for 1 agi? Holy crap.
No, it's not like that. 4 crit is not 4% crit rate. Crit Rate is calculated from your Crit by a formula I'll describe below.

All "Rates" in your stat window are determined by this formula. (Haste, Hit, Crit, Vigor, Defense, Dodge, Parry)

rate % = (Stat Value / (400 * (1.05^(character level - 1)))) * 100

So by Lv.50, if you have 50 agi, that amounts to 4.57% crit rate.
(Note that by this formula, all Rates decrease as you level.)

How do you get high Hit and aspd then? Hit goes up as you level, to ensure that you will always have a 95% hitrate against enemies equal to your level. This also means that you'll have better accuracy against enemies lower than you are, and worse accuracy against enemies that are higher.
Aspd is fixed with your weapon type and doesn't matter too much. As a non-mage/aco class, you will be autoattacking once you engage a target. But your damage will primarily come from how you manage your skills. To that end, Haste and Vigor are important. Haste reduces casting time, while Vigor reduces skill cooldown. Haste/Vigor bonuses come with blue (Rare) and purple (Epic) equipment, and blue gear is easy enough to come by through dungeons.

So in short, don't worry too much about your stats. To get stronger, focus on finding better equipment, and figure out how to best utilize your skills.

#3 Appewz

Appewz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

+1 to synesthetic's post, great bunch of useful info. For the most part, you won't go wrong with most builds. The one syn posted is a great starting point.

Some specifics that I think are universally helpful, if at least good to know:
  • Max everything in the middle column of the Archer tree; you can look them up to see exactly what they all do.
  • At least 1 point in Camouflage; first hit in Camo does 2x damage, not including Falcons (which won't take you out of hiding).
  • Ankle Snare is more useful in PvP, if that's what you fancy, and is useless against bosses.
  • Wind Walk is great for burst damage because it increases Atk Spd, the +Move Spd is cool, too.
  • You won't have enough points for everything, therefore test things out and decide what you like. There really is no "best" build. :no1:
I found that at least 1 point in Falcon Assault helps a bunch, particularly against bosses (and in PvP). However, with Ranger skills, you're definitely gonna have to try out different builds and see what you like best. This is the one I used, technically a "hyrbrid" skill build: http://www.ro2skills...BkFlbdBeBeFqBdA

I didn't really have any issues with any part of that build and I spent most of my time in a party, although I did do some soloing (not much). I would've liked to have tested a max Falcon build, amongst other things. I have seen people max out Falcon Assault and completely neglect Arrow Vulcan, and everywhere in between. But as I said, you'll definitely need to try out different things for yourself.

Stat builds are, again, mostly up to your preference. A few common point allocations are (but not limited to):
  • 40 STR, 40 AGI, 8 VIT (What I chose, the extra little bit of VIT comes in handy)
  • 41 STR, 41 AGI
  • 50 STR or AGI, 26 on the other.
Note that 1 point differences (as in the 40/40/8 compared to the 41/41 builds) will NOT show a noticeable difference. As syn alluded to in his post, most of the stat points you get will come from equipment. To that effect, skill point allocation is more important than stats.

Edited by Appewz, 13 April 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#4 KDLizzy

KDLizzy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

What about this build, is this any good? http://www.ro2skills...BeFdBrdrA(found it)

Edited by KDLizzy, 13 April 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#5 Appewz

Appewz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

This is my opinion:

Multi Shot isn't useful. 1 point is enough. The only reason to put points in anything on the left side is to unlock Wind Walk.

Charge Arrow is your main attack, so max Charge Arrow and Charge Arrow Mastery.

Owl's Eye increases your Atk by 9% for 10 seconds every 2 Charge Arrows, so max this one, too.

Fear Breeze increases your Atk Spd and is stackable up to 5 times. Max Fear Breeze increases your Atk Spd up to 10%. Max it.

Camouflage (and Camo Mastery) only needs 1 point. It's fun to be invisible and the move speed decrease does suck, but the only time you really need to be invisible is right before you attack. The main reason for using Camo is the 2x damage on your first hit, the invisible aspect comes in secondary.

Unfortunately, there aren't enough points to get every useful skill. This build incorporates all of the above tips, and has 8 points left over. So, I will leave it up to you to add the rest where ever you want. http://www.ro2skills...BkFlbdBeBdFdBdA

The only skills I would recommend using them in are:
  • Main Ranger
  • Focused Arrow Strike
  • Poison Arrow
  • Arrow Vulcan
  • Falcon Assault
Going for what I think you want, you could try maxing out both Arrow Vulcan and Falcon Assault. But Focused Arrow Strike and Poison Arrow are good choices, too, and could do well at higher levels. Again, test out different things and see what you like best.

Edited by Appewz, 13 April 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#6 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Man, you're going to walk fast while hidden..

I would take 2 points out of Multi and move them to CA Mastery, at least. Otherwise, it could work.
Of all of the classes I've seen, Ranger has the most complicated attack combo, and it involves a lot of Charge Arrow to build up your Focus meter. So reducing the casttime of CA from 1.6 to 1 sec is pretty important.

2 Charge Arrows give you 30 Focus. (Focused Arrow Strike also gives you a little, but because of the cooldown on it, it can't be your primary generator. Same with Poison Arrow.)
2 Charge Arrows also gives you a 9% atk bonus (if you max Owl's Eye).
30 Focus lets you Double Strafe.
Double Strafe gives you Fear Breeze.
5 Fear Breeze lets you Arrow Vulcan.
Fear Breeze also lets you use skills faster, which means you can Charge Arrow faster.

10% from maxed Fear Breeze may not sound like much, and you can't maintain it indefinitely, so I can understand leaving it at Lv.1. But I know that Rangers can do a lot of burst damage once they buff up on Haste--Wind Walk at least, and then more from summoning a max-level Guardian. And it all starts with spamming Charge Arrow.

I like maxing Poison Arrow too. It's arguably the strongest DoT in the game, and you can use it more often than Falcon Assault.
Visually, the falcon's not cool like in RO1. It's a stationary summon that appears by the target. But the falcon can be good for burst damage if you summon a second one after using Falcon Eyes.

And I have to agree with Appewz about Camo. If you could hide in combat, being able to move around that fast would have a lot more utility. But you can't, so unless you have a specific plan in mind for PVP'ing other people involving that first strike, or strong gameplay preference for it, it's not much use to max Camo and its mastery.
On my rogue, I still maxed hiding to remove the mspd penalty, just because I found myself hiding almost indefinitely so I could harvest herbs and loot in aggro areas freely. But I'm in the minority on that choice.

#7 ItsFaulkenOMG

ItsFaulkenOMG

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNew World
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

As you know, there is no best build in every game. Only the player's experience and the gears you're dealing with matters.

As for me, I would go for Double Strafe build. I recommend FA build too. Use the search button to know what I mean. I will be posting soon some help on Archer class.

#8 Flotitan

Flotitan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Just a little tip by my side. If you go using Falcon Assault, you absolutely need Falcon Eyes maxed and if you go Wind Walk you don't need the Falcon... may you have to try out ingame.

#9 Malaphesto

Malaphesto

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm going a crit FA build with agi/str as my priority stat allocation with some vit thrown in there for good measure. I See no point in getting AV as I personally think it's a rather weak skill. And PA is a waste of a skill if you're grouping with more then 1 Ranger, as only 1 PA proc can be applied to a monster/boss at a time (Or so it was during the alpha of SEA before region locks came in beta), boss fights turn into a fight between Rangers on who can keep PA up the longest.

#10 Appewz

Appewz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I See no point in getting AV as I personally think it's a rather weak skill.

I agree with you on this, but if you're lucky enough to have a high crit rate (30%+) then I'd consider keeping it in rotation. A Charge Arrow crit was at least equal to a single non-crit AV. However, I'd like to test this again later on, seeing as the lag-time when casting skills is virtually zero (compared to the lag in SEA).

As for Poison Arrow, I disagree with you. While yes, it is redundant with multiple Rangers in a raid, it is not by any means useless. The DOT is pretty good, and there is nothing wrong with maintaining poison on a boss. I'd rather not be that guy who doesn't have PA to keep up on the boss.

#11 Malaphesto

Malaphesto

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I agree with you on this, but if you're lucky enough to have a high crit rate (30%+) then I'd consider keeping it in rotation. A Charge Arrow crit was at least equal to a single non-crit AV. However, I'd like to test this again later on, seeing as the lag-time when casting skills is virtually zero (compared to the lag in SEA).

As for Poison Arrow, I disagree with you. While yes, it is redundant with multiple Rangers in a raid, it is not by any means useless. The DOT is pretty good, and there is nothing wrong with maintaining poison on a boss. I'd rather not be that guy who doesn't have PA to keep up on the boss.

Though I can agree that PA is a good skill to keep, a FA build that doesn't include is still almost on par in terms of damage with a FA build that does. If I end up in a guild that wishes me to run with PA if there's no other ranger, then I'll re-spec, but if they're running 2 or more Rangers (Preferably 2 at the most) then I'd rather not slot it, as it always ends up being a PA war between the two Rangers which results in both of them losing dps.

There is nothing wrong with maintaining poison on a boss, but there's something very wrong when your Rangers are focusing on keeping PA up then the rest of their rotations.

As for slotting AV in a rotation, I'm from Australia, I'll always have lag no matter the server (It's worse on SEA servers then the US if you would believe), so I'll be sticking to CA spam. I'd like to hear back from you about how will it does with your lower lat though, as I'm also rather curious as to how will it would hold up.

#12 Cryska

Cryska

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

err..

Edited by Cryska, 19 April 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#13 Appewz

Appewz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

You're definitely not wrong on that point. However, it does take coordination with other Rangers. For the random Ranger who doesn't run with a semi-consistent group, I think we can agree that at least 1 point in PA is expected.

#14 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Offline

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

"Your equipment is what matters the most." Another pay 2 win game? T_________T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users