What is the Best AOE class - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

What is the Best AOE class

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 loadingsoul

loadingsoul

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hi I played as a priest on SEA server but it did no turn very well. Im more of a damage type player rather than a support one. I know sorcerer knight warrior wizard and even thief class have aoe skills, but i want to know which one can deal most damage and kill quick. Iwas thinking to go for sorcerer because they are versatile abd needed on parties just like priests but im afraid that they might get nerfed one of these days xD. Does wizards also have a hard time getting in on parties like rogues and assassins? Sorry for too many questions. Cant wait till 18th

#2 Godriconian

Godriconian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

If you are a damage dealer/want aoes and you want in on parties i'd go with a Warrior or a wizard. Warriors are amazing after they get good gears at lvl 50 and if you build your char right you can even be on par or better then knights. Wizards are going to be needed when woe comes around as precast and there also pretty good in the 40+ dungeons. Either one is good, wizard is a bit more squishy then a warrior but its up to you. Sadly assassins and rogues are almost never welcome in a party so I wouldn't make one even if they do have aoes and there even more squishy then wizards haha. Sorc will most likely not get a nerf like they did on sea due to the dissatisfaction of all the players like on SEA. I highly doubt warp portal would do such a drastic change that would cause people to potentially quit.

#3 joanne

joanne

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Ill say wizard because when comes raids they are sought after and rather easy to gear up

#4 StryfeK

StryfeK

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Wizards for sure, in terms of AoE damage, hold that crown. Classes that have access to AoE such as Sorcs/Rangers/Assassin/Rogues rarely ever increase their AoE past 1, since they need it for other skills to fulfill their roles. Whereas Knights do have an AoE that some players max, their roles aren't intended for killing.

What needs to be understood however, is that AoE is a tough concept. Because the skills are designed to have a lower damage output on single mobs to compensate for their total damage vs groups. Sometimes, its more beneficial (and sometimes even faster) to kill things 1by1. But the main hassle with AoE is threat control. If a boss summons adds and a wizard AoE's them, there's a good chance the adds will turn their attention towards the wizard. Either the wizard dies, or one of the priests has to turn their attention to you. However, this is mitigated by a good offtank who is aware of a wizard's AoE threat capabilities and can draw aggro accordingly.

Another good candidate for AoE are warriors, where its worth maxing their AoE skill, and have the ability to move while casting it. They're also tanky enough to be able to sustain aggro damage (to an extent of course). As far as finding parties, Wizards are not as in demand as Rangers/Sorcs, but there's usually a demand for -atleast 1- (Due to their int buff, relatively high damage output, and AoE Snare) for every raid.

#5 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

DPS Priest. Godly AOE and you're unkillable~

#6 Ethro

Ethro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

nothing beats an int build warrior in aoe! spammable high crit dmg aoe ftw!
(not joking with the int)

#7 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:waiting for Ro2 launch

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

nothing beats an int build warrior in aoe! (not joking with the int)

yep, those battle tactic swordy-classes are evil xD
(But still it feels somehow wrong to up int on a swordsman-class @.@)

But as someone mentioned before, isn't it faster to kill 1 on 1 than using Aoe? o.O (Never really used AOE-classes before and sorc. aoe was kinda bad imho)

#8 Ethro

Ethro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

well in raiding it is nice but for leveling u dont have enough int/Crit to bomb everything with brandish storm q.q

btw hey to you my german fellow :3

#9 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

thanks ^^ nice to see some more germans :D

That's what I thought about as well. I din't make it to raiding back in Sea, but for leveling it was kinda meh.... 1 on 1 was faster for leveling.
But dungeons was enugh for me... everytime i triet sorc aoe I was sentenced to death xD
But i would like to try a aoe class in raids some time ^^

Well on topic:
I think wizards are best for ranged aoe and warriors are best for closed aoe. (thats what I can tell by doing dungeons)

#10 Godriconian

Godriconian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Lol at this, I don't want to be mean so i'll leave it at that.

#11 Ethro

Ethro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

well an ME with Aspersio can be fun but thats it :3

#12 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Lol at this, I don't want to be mean so i'll leave it at that.

The ignorance is delicious. You DO know that multi-DoTting is an extremely powerful and effective tool right?

#13 Tamashiimizu

Tamashiimizu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Wizard's are the best at AOE.

But like the others said, you have to be careful to not aggro the monsters to yourself, and you'll only use AOE when leveling when you're in a party (where the members will lure mobs while the priest heals everyone). If you're a ''lone wolf'' player, then you'll only use AOE in raids.

Wizard's are the best in that matter, because of 3 skills; Frost nova (freezes surrounding enemies), Inferno (Damage over time AOE) and Meteor Storm (42% Damage at max level).

#14 Godriconian

Godriconian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Dps priest just can not compete with a pure dps or pure full support end game lol. The class is sterotyped by mmo's and you can guarantee you would be switched out for a pure dps or pure support priest if given the chance to get one.

Edited by Godriconian, 16 April 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#15 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Please explain to me how a dps priest is good at anything besides pvm? Your not wanted in raids, and the cast time and animations on your skills get you killed in pvp. If you decide to AOE mobs in raids theres a good chance you would die. You have poor defence and due to being dps you can not heal yourself as effectively and you have crappy parry. You would be switched out for a full support priest and a pure dps class in a heartbeat.

it's ignorant posts like this that make me think i've gone back in time to the mmo days of yore where anyone with a heal button was automatically shoehorned into a full support role.

#16 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Please explain to me how a dps priest is good at anything besides pvm? Your not wanted in raids, and the cast time and animations on your skills get you killed in pvp. If you decide to AOE mobs in raids theres a good chance you would die. You have poor defence and due to being dps you can not heal yourself as effectively and you have crappy parry. You would be switched out for a full support priest and a pure dps class in a heartbeat.

A DPS priest has the same core healing skills a FS one does. FS priests have skills to help out in the occasional emergency situation, but for the most part, a good DPS priest can heal just as well as a FS one can. If you see a bad DPS priest who can't heal, it's not because he's DPS, it's because he's a bad priest.

#17 Godriconian

Godriconian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Its not being ignorant its called stating facts, why switch out a pure dps or pure support for a half dps or half support or half and half. I could get into a huge debate and write a massive topic and post YouTube videos and facts to back it up but my enter key does not work which makes big posts hard to do and I really do not want to sit and write it lol. You have your opinion and I have mine :p_swt:

Edited by Godriconian, 16 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#18 StryfeK

StryfeK

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

I don't agree that Priests should have anything to do with AoE, regardless of build. I've never seen an AoE Spec'd priest, and probably for good reason.

I agree that when it comes to healing, skill is more important, and I never really paid attention to the priest in my party's build that was healing me. I'm pretty sure a few of them have been Hybrid or DPS Priests. In fact, the best priest I've ever raided with was a hybrid priest, and he was excellent.

I don't think Godriconian was trying to be offensive, what he's saying isn't false from what I've seen. Full DPS Priests are generally "uncommon" because of 2 reasons. First, they simply can't replace FS Priests in raids/parties. There are just certain key skills that are needed in dungeons and raids, and gets even moreso important the harder the raid is. Second, for the most part they are out classed in terms of damage by the other ranged DPS. It's harsh, but a reality. Its the same reason why DPS Warriors are generally frowned upon as well, because they're outclasses by the other melee DPS classes.

So, the main question is why do people go DPS priest at all? Besides leveling, there's one very HUGE strength when it comes to DPS Priests, and that's PvP Colloseum. There's a reason why the number of DPS priests shot up as soon as colosseum was introduced. The kings of PVP are Rangers/Sorcs and right below them, assassins. However, I would say DPS Priests are right up there with the big 2. Why? Exeltus is spot on when she says that Priests are unkillable, yet hit like a ton of bricks. In Colo, time is of the essence, so priests are usually ignored since they're a sponge, soaking up lots of time if you try to kill the. Yet, they still have a high dps burst skill for KSing, allowing them to safely net kills. That's the reason why many were so shocked to see Priests being one of the first classes in the game to achieve full colloseum equipment. After my first Final Round Eliminations with priests, I knew immediately lol.

Anyways thats just my two cents. Do note I've never played priest, and only had minimal theorycrafting when my friend asked me to help him with build. So, feel free to ignore me if you want xD

Edited by StryfeK, 16 April 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#19 KainHyrial

KainHyrial

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yay, time for some more Sin and Rogue hate to carry over from SEA to this version. Lol.

/cantwait.jpg

Cause I have played both to end game in SEA.

Edited by KainHyrial, 16 April 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#20 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

A DPS priest has the same core healing skills a FS one does. FS priests have skills to help out in the occasional emergency situation, but for the most part, a good DPS priest can heal just as well as a FS one can. If you see a bad DPS priest who can't heal, it's not because he's DPS, it's because he's a bad priest.

See, here's the thing. When I say DPS Priest, I don't mean hybrid spec. I mean full on, honest to Odin nothing but DPS spec. I am fully aware that it leaves me undesirable in raids since, apparently, no MMORPG player base outside of WoW has grown beyond the "if you can heal that's all you should do" mentality. I'm quite ok with that. Just because I can't heal as a DPS Priest doesn't necessarily mean I'm a bad Priest or player. Sure, you could argue that because I'm not utilizing all of my classes abilities I'm a bad player, but I can't stand 'jack of all trades' players, if only because more often than not they can't do either job decently. I'd rather JUST heal or JUST DPS amazingly than be able to do both mediocrely.

Its not being ignorant its called stating facts, why switch out a pure dps or pure support for a half dps or half support or half and half. I could get into a huge debate and write a massive topic and post YouTube videos and facts to back it up but my enter key does not work which makes big posts hard to do and I really do not want to sit and write it lol. You have your opinion and I have mine :p_swt:

I could have done the same last night, but coincidentally both my shift keys are totally messed up (types weird characters, opens programs when pressed lol). I can agree to disagree!

I don't agree that Priests should have anything to do with AoE, regardless of build. I've never seen an AoE Spec'd priest, and probably for good reason.

I agree that when it comes to healing, skill is more important, and I never really paid attention to the priest in my party's build that was healing me. I'm pretty sure a few of them have been Hybrid or DPS Priests. In fact, the best priest I've ever raided with was a hybrid priest, and he was excellent.

I don't think Godriconian was trying to be offensive, what he's saying isn't false from what I've seen. Full DPS Priests are generally "uncommon" because of 2 reasons. First, they simply can't replace FS Priests in raids/parties. There are just certain key skills that are needed in dungeons and raids, and gets even moreso important the harder the raid is. Second, for the most part they are out classed in terms of damage by the other ranged DPS. It's harsh, but a reality. Its the same reason why DPS Warriors are generally frowned upon as well, because they're outclasses by the other melee DPS classes.

So, the main question is why do people go DPS priest at all? Besides leveling, there's one very HUGE strength when it comes to DPS Priests, and that's PvP Colloseum. There's a reason why the number of DPS priests shot up as soon as colosseum was introduced. The kings of PVP are Rangers/Sorcs and right below them, assassins. However, I would say DPS Priests are right up there with the big 2. Why? Exeltus is spot on when she says that Priests are unkillable, yet hit like a ton of bricks. In Colo, time is of the essence, so priests are usually ignored since they're a sponge, soaking up lots of time if you try to kill the. Yet, they still have a high dps burst skill for KSing, allowing them to safely net kills. That's the reason why many were so shocked to see Priests being one of the first classes in the game to achieve full colloseum equipment. After my first Final Round Eliminations with priests, I knew immediately lol.

Anyways thats just my two cents. Do note I've never played priest, and only had minimal theorycrafting when my friend asked me to help him with build. So, feel free to ignore me if you want xD

The interesting thing is ANY Priest who at the very least takes all three DoTs is properly equipped to AOE, even if they don't know it. Your DoTs are the bulk bread and butter of your damage, and are all quickly and easily applied when adds spawn. Now for the next 20-30s you're doing safe (unless your OT is terrible), strong damage on all the adds and are doing your regular rotation on the boss once more.

Skill is just as important when doing DPS. You can take the most OP DPS class and give it to a skillless player and they can do less damage than the tank does. Conversely you could just as easily see a skilled DPS Priest, Warrior or Monk out damaging a pure DPS class. I've seen both situations in my day.

I definitly agree that the DPS Priest is unpopular in PVE due to people rathering a healer and taking loot from healy Priests. Again, that's fair! I would like to hope that any Priest speccing full DPS knows going into this what they signed up for.

I also can conceed that they aren't as strong as other ranged, but here's the interesting thing! They aren't as bad off DPS wise as most people seem to think. On SEA there was some spreadsheet theorycrafting that showed that there's only a 200-300ish DPS gap between a Priest and a Sorc. Mind you, this was single target and didn't take things like the execute phase and movement, but for a straight up test dummy theory it isn't bad. Yes, at this point in the game when power creep hasn't struck yet 2-300 is a huge difference, but not so huge that a skilled player can't win out over.

I'm happy someone else knows how crazy Priests are in PVP. You forgot to mention the pain they can bring from beyond the grave via their DoTs hehe.

I appreciate your constructive discussion! I also want to appologize if I came off like a jerk. It's just frustrating when most don't know what they're talking about and have a strong oppinion about it. I get that's the path I've chosen, and know it's the oppinion I'm going to most commonly encounter, its none the less frustrating.

#21 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

See, here's the thing. When I say DPS Priest, I don't mean hybrid spec. I mean full on, honest to Odin nothing but DPS spec. I am fully aware that it leaves me undesirable in raids since, apparently, no MMORPG player base outside of WoW has grown beyond the "if you can heal that's all you should do" mentality. I'm quite ok with that. Just because I can't heal as a DPS Priest doesn't necessarily mean I'm a bad Priest or player. Sure, you could argue that because I'm not utilizing all of my classes abilities I'm a bad player, but I can't stand 'jack of all trades' players, if only because more often than not they can't do either job decently. I'd rather JUST heal or JUST DPS amazingly than be able to do both mediocrely.

I could have done the same last night, but coincidentally both my shift keys are totally messed up (types weird characters, opens programs when pressed lol). I can agree to disagree!

The interesting thing is ANY Priest who at the very least takes all three DoTs is properly equipped to AOE, even if they don't know it. Your DoTs are the bulk bread and butter of your damage, and are all quickly and easily applied when adds spawn. Now for the next 20-30s you're doing safe (unless your OT is terrible), strong damage on all the adds and are doing your regular rotation on the boss once more.

Skill is just as important when doing DPS. You can take the most OP DPS class and give it to a skillless player and they can do less damage than the tank does. Conversely you could just as easily see a skilled DPS Priest, Warrior or Monk out damaging a pure DPS class. I've seen both situations in my day.

I definitly agree that the DPS Priest is unpopular in PVE due to people rathering a healer and taking loot from healy Priests. Again, that's fair! I would like to hope that any Priest speccing full DPS knows going into this what they signed up for.

I also can conceed that they aren't as strong as other ranged, but here's the interesting thing! They aren't as bad off DPS wise as most people seem to think. On SEA there was some spreadsheet theorycrafting that showed that there's only a 200-300ish DPS gap between a Priest and a Sorc. Mind you, this was single target and didn't take things like the execute phase and movement, but for a straight up test dummy theory it isn't bad. Yes, at this point in the game when power creep hasn't struck yet 2-300 is a huge difference, but not so huge that a skilled player can't win out over.

I'm happy someone else knows how crazy Priests are in PVP. You forgot to mention the pain they can bring from beyond the grave via their DoTs hehe.

I appreciate your constructive discussion! I also want to appologize if I came off like a jerk. It's just frustrating when most don't know what they're talking about and have a strong oppinion about it. I get that's the path I've chosen, and know it's the oppinion I'm going to most commonly encounter, its none the less frustrating.

The class hate war has already begun, it's sad. So much ignorance goes around when all it takes is a calculator and a spreadsheet to figure the stuff out. Reminds me of how everyone used to view Mastersmiths as weak many years ago, when all it took was someone using their head to rock everyone's world with High Speed Cart Ram. I'd definitely take a good MS over a godly geared LK any day.

#22 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

The class hate war has already begun, it's sad. So much ignorance goes around when all it takes is a calculator and a spreadsheet to figure the stuff out. Reminds me of how everyone used to view Mastersmiths as weak many years ago, when all it took was someone using their head to rock everyone's world with High Speed Cart Ram. I'd definitely take a good MS over a godly geared LK any day.

<3

The thing is that as raids go on a DPS priests effectiveness goes down due to both a lack of Agi/Crit on our gear and the fact we scale terribly with it. Doesn't mean we aren't useful though!

#23 OneLastDance

OneLastDance

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

You made me choke on my food

#24 synesthetic

synesthetic

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

I'm aware that maxed out DoTs can deal a significant amount of damage. You make mountains of corpses in PVE. In PVP, if they can't one-shot you, then it probably turns into a battle of attrition in your favor, so most people don't even bother touching you in Colo. And then DoT-kiting bosses is mean.

I'm just bothered when someone blindly rejects a player for an unjustified reason. Saying that a DPS priest can't heal isn't necessarily true and excludes some perfectly good players, while more often I end up seeing "FS" priests acting like divas and blaming the party for dying when it was their own fault for not knowing how to do their job. Or worse, passing judgment on party members by intentionally letting them die for petty things like pulling when it should've been well within their ability to keep everyone healed anyway.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding what the typical DPS priest is then.
I'm curious how you differentiate between DPS and hybrid. Would this be a hybrid build then?
http://www.ro2skills...dOdDebrFeBdBqn1
And would this be a "DPS" build then?
http://www.ro2skills...kbdDeabseDdBqn1

If the latter is typical of a DPS build, then I recant and admit that you guys can't heal.
I just didn't see how you guys could even PVP without at least leveling Highness Heal.

#25 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

I have the feelingthis thread is slowly turning out to be a bashing thread o.O Nowadays it seems everything that is not "right" on first glance gets bashed....

I think it's mean and unpolite to do so. I never really saw an dps or hybrid priest in action, but would like to^^ And why does the priest have damageskills in the fiirst place, when it's "wrong" to use them? ... I don't get it. @.@

And thiefsclasses... why it seems to the most hated class?Because it's a melee class and has lower Hp... Well if the monsters hit reasonably damage, it will not be a problem (I think)

To each their own.... I, for myself, want to be open to everything. And just because I met one bad example, I won't condemn them all. The world would be a better place, if everyone could be nice to each other xD
just my two cents...
(please don't bash me too @.@ I am just a nice girl and totally harmless *sneaks out of this thread*)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users