#1 Akayo

Akayo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLand of Confusion
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

I played an assassin as my main on the SEA server with really only one gripe... Shadow Form. While at first it may seem pretty cool, believe me, it wears off fast. Personally, I think assassins have some of the best looking armor sets; yet, for the most part, you'll be stuck looking at a unicorn-shadow-dog.

So I was wondering how feasible it would be to add different options for your appearance in Shadow Form. The main obstacle I could see would be the altering of animations, but even so, it wouldn't be a huge undertaking. I've seen many different ideas, whether it be an aura around your character, or a simple toggle; there are many possibilities.

#2 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:waiting for Ro2 launch

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

yeah shadowform... At first time I saw an assasin in shadowform i thought "dafuq was dis o.O". And on closer inspection I personally found (and still find it) somehow ugly.
Shadowform is THE reason i don't want to play as an assassin. The armor looks cool and costumes too but what is good about it, when you are about 90% of your game-time in shadowform and can't see your character?!

So.. Well i would like to see some kind of semitransparently Shadowform, or just some smoky dark mist around the character.

Or just make it selectable through game setting to disable showing the shadowform for your own charakter. So you can see YOUR chara without shadowform (just show some buff-icon on the uppr right) but others see your chara in shadowform. or something like this...

Edited by Tsujiko, 16 April 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#3 SinWeasel

SinWeasel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO2 - Odin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I agree the shadow form could have been done so much better, last I check Assassins aren't Beast Masters. I like the aura idea. That is one thing that turned me on to the Assassin was there look and the fact they do bad a** dps. But if I have to spend most of the time I play in shadow form I rather see my character. Not some ugly anorexic wolf unicorn thing. It kinda takes the fun out of being an Assassin. I mean whats the point in the gear changing your look when you equip it if your in shadow form 90+% of the time.

#4 DustyC

DustyC

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

When I cracked out on RO back in the day, my main character was an Assassin. I was really excited to bring him back to life in RO2, but when I heard about this dreaded shadow form, I had to do a search online to find a picture of it.

Posted Image

When I finally found one, I understood why every post I've seen on the subject is negative. I can't find a single instance of someone appreciating it. I'm not sure sure I want to bring my Assissin back now if that's all I have to look forward to.

#5 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Nothing

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hmm, it is not nearly as bad as you guys made me think. I'm not too fond of the unicorn horn, but otherwise I can live with it. We might want to respond to the CM or GM asking to change the horn or remove it.

#6 Akayo

Akayo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

By itself it's not terrible, but when you have to look at it for 90% of your play time it gets really old. I'd much rather be able to see my character and the gear I've spent so much time trying to get.

#7 Yamedo

Yamedo

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

yeah shadowform... At first time I saw an assasin in shadowform i thought "dafuq was dis o.O". And on closer inspection I personally found (and still find it) somehow ugly.
Shadowform is THE reason i don't want to play as an assassin. The armor looks cool and costumes too but what is good about it, when you are about 90% of your game-time in shadowform and can't see your character?!

So.. Well i would like to see some kind of semitransparently Shadowform, or just some smoky dark mist around the character.

Or just make it selectable through game setting to disable showing the shadowform for your own charakter. So you can see YOUR chara without shadowform (just show some buff-icon on the uppr right) but others see your chara in shadowform. or something like this...

90%? Try 99%, only time I ever got out of uglyform was to take the flying kafra, and hell if i had some speed buffs i'd probly be able to beat kafra's speed while hiding lol.. <-------the only thing that kind of disappoints me about thieves, why is their invis infinite until attacked or attacking? It kind of seems unfair, don't even get me started with the unfairness of a rogue..

Shadow form having different forms is a pretty cool idea, unfortunately Japan didn't make this game, Koreans did, and Koreans do not listen to Americans. I'm not even sure Japan does either but for sure Koreans are dips. =/ I rather liked the first RO2 better, it actually felt different and new, mind you the graphics were questionable. But then the Korean beta testers said MEEEEEEEEH NO THANKS CHANGE PL0X! and then this pile of WoW x RO was invented =[

@dusty WOW a bad ass graphics card makes the world of difference, Jesus I got on this ro2 and the graphics looked like such crap I almost couldn't handle it, lolol can't wait till I got the money to get a better laptop. >.<

Edited by Yamedo, 19 April 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#8 Grey007

Grey007

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Maybe there can be some type of reskin option available for shadow form sometime in the future? I can't imagine them forcing us to use the default one forever.

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, it'd be MUCH better to have it like a transparent suit than changing to a weird wolf-thing. Also like the smokey aura idea; lends more to the shadow part of Shadow Form.

#10 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Dark aura instead of anthropomorphic wolf demon thing. Hell, I'd even prefer no model change/effect change when going into Shadow Form than that abomination of an assassin.

#11 Furin

Furin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

I actually like how it looks! Still sucks that you don't see your armor whatsoever though.

#12 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

I actually like how it looks! Still sucks that you don't see your armor whatsoever though.

No one can see your gear at all, which might be a bonus. Put on top of this you can out run some mounts IN COMBAT and I must say I"m pretty happy. :)

#13 Akayo

Akayo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm not suggesting a removal of the current shadow form, rather just more options, where you can choose what you look like, for those of us who aren't as fond of it.

Just something to try and make everyone happy.

#14 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Be glad you can't be polymorphed while in Shadow Form

#15 Hamstergeval

Hamstergeval

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Well, if warpportal allows it and doesn't consider it hacking or whatever, I could eventually come up with some RO2 mods, including reskins for some existing skills. They would only show for your own character and not for everyone, though.

#16 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I don't know how far it is possible to change a korrean engine, but if it's possible to change skills (like duration, cooldown etc.) it should be also possible to give one of many possible changes to shadow form that doesn't force the player to use it. Imho the whole skill is pointless, as it does nothing but adding a stat boost, which could have been applied - as well - directly to the class without having to enable a skill. Totally pointless imho. My favorite idea - changing shadow form into a skill with duration where you're not transforming yourself but getting supported by 1-2 summoned shadow creatures in fight (like following you and auto-hitting your target) for a short dur.

#17 Ovis26934

Ovis26934

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't mind the look itself
I do mind it whenever I am in an area full of Assassin demonwolves and they all look exactly the same as me...
I would rather keep a transformation than an aura or smoke (that would be annoying to me and I think transforming is beast), but I would like it if alteratons and customizations could be made to my shadow's form so I feel I stand out to a degree

#18 OniNoMeKyo

OniNoMeKyo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationHere (not there).
  • Server:Yet

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I don't mind the look itself
I do mind it whenever I am in an area full of Assassin demonwolves and they all look exactly the same as me...
I would rather keep a transformation than an aura or smoke (that would be annoying to me and I think transforming is beast), but I would like it if alteratons and customizations could be made to my shadow's form so I feel I stand out to a degree

Yeah, the Colosseum Assassins are kind of annoying, but because of it, there's a bug where you can see where hidden Assassins are(in seaRO2, your iRO2 experience may vary).

I agree on the point of Shadow Form customnization: I feel that the higher tiered equipment (RHD, Einherjar, PvP, CoA, AoD) equips should change the look of your Shadow Form slightly.
I would also like this with Bear, Grizzly, and Tiger forms of Beastmaster. Shout out to all the teddies!.

#19 Ovis26934

Ovis26934

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

An insectoid shadow form would suit me best
Namely, a Death's Head
Posted Image

#20 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Just allow the option for people to choose what form they want to be in. I was fine with Shadow Form until I realized it wasn't just a buff with a CD for battle mode only, but a perma toggle switch that effectively makes you never want to leave shadow form for the benefits it gives you. Actually, you know I'm surprised they just didn't make you turn into a more demon-like creature like Satan Morroc(or maybe even a dark djinn from Magi, amirite?) with small sinister wings or something instead of this demon dog thing. I see absolutely no relevance for the wolf motif in the Assassin's Shadow Form.

Edited by Sacriel, 22 April 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#21 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

Shadow Form allows you to out run mounts, maybe immune to polymorph, and increases DPS by 30% or something right? What is there to complain about? Only people that would want this nerfed are other classes. This skill alone is lightyears ahead of what assassins in RO1 are like, as they couldn't even kill a naked INT/VIT priest with 100% crits until the era of Enchant Deadly Poison.

#22 Akayo

Akayo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Nowhere here has anyone complained about the effects of Shadow Form. This discussion is purely about the cosmetics of it and the ability to tailor your appearance, while still retaining all the stat bonuses.

#23 raela

raela

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

+1 to some option with smoke/aura.

I think one of my most ridiculous times in the beta was doing the sea god temple with me and another assassin - each fight looked like seizing spider-dogs, culminating into a final long stretch of flailing limbs. :( I spent most of my time in hiding shadow form for the movement speed (maxed hiding exceed), which was really nice - especially since it stacked with the movement speed potions. I just looked really weird doing it.

Then, whenever I ended up in my normal form (usually upon death), I was amazed to see how cute I had become with whatever armor upgrade.. just to go back to ugly. ;_;

#24 GlumshanksGirl

GlumshanksGirl

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Nuuuu, Ovaries26394 nuuuu >: If they made a form with roaches then I'd be too tempted to play Assassin. And I have to have my omfggiantswords and I'm too lazy to play 2 charas. Keep your skinny wolf, don't tempt me ha ha.

edito~: BTW, Death's Heads roachies are epically gorgeous. Still I prefer Hissers *partial to her babies*. I think Sassies *Assassins XD* would look better as Sexy Legs roaches if they're doing roach species. That body and dem sexy red legs, hnnng. <3<(*^*) Or Harlequins with those intricate patterns on their bodies.

/roachfangirling

Edited by GlumshanksGirl, 23 April 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#25 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I don't recall, do male and female assassins have the same shadow form model? I can't imagine that all assassin classes were intended to look the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users