If you're having performance issues on a decent NVidia-based laptop - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

If you're having performance issues on a decent NVidia-based laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kurushy

Kurushy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

The very short version, for those who know what I'm talking about:

Using current drivers, Optimus defaults this game to your integrated graphics. Create a profile which force switches it back to your dedicated GPU.

I guess I'll give the longer explanation here, too, for those not savvy about this:

Most modern gaming laptops come with an integrated graphics chipset whether you ask for one or not. It's simply standard on Intel-based mobile MB's nowadays. If you look under Display Adapters in your Device Manger, you should see something like Intel HD Graphics 1500/3000 (i5) or 2500/4000 (i7). So NVidia came up with a technology called Optimus, which is deployed on almost all Intel-NVidia-powered laptops. What Optimus does is automatically switch between your integrated graphics and dedicated GPU, depending on what you're doing. This is actually very useful because your integrated graphics chip generates less heat and uses less battery power, and it's perfectly sufficient for most desktop tasks or video viewing.

It's supposed to switch to your dedicated GPU for modern games. Occasionally, though, with very new games where NVidia hasn't added a profile themselves, Optimus will default a game to your integrated graphics, and you'll get terrible performance. Happened to me, at least, at least before I fixed it.

To fix it, do the following (assuming Windows 7, nfi about 8). Go to Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->NVidia Control Panel. Once opened, on the menu to your left, click Manage 3D settings. In the menu in the center which appears, click the Program Settings tab. Now click the Add button. A list of recent programs may appear, in which case you can simply select RO2 (assuming you've recently launched it). If not, navigate to and select /Shipping/rag2.exe under your RO2 directory. Now that the profile is added, click the topmost dropbox labelled "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" and change the value from "Use global setting (Auto-Select: Integrated)" to "High-performance NVidia processor". You can mess with the other stuff if you're knowledgeable, but if you're not, I'd just leave it alone. The bottom line is that even a relatively crappy mobile GPU will have more horsepower than your dedicated Intel chip, so you should see a big performance bump.

Oh, and a little addendum: this game seems to have a very poorly-optimized ambient occlusion effect (listed in System Settings as Shadow Effect) which dramatically lowers framerate. Disabling it is probably the easiest way to get a quick boost to your FPS. If you really want it, you should simply force it on the driver level. It'll both look and perform better.

Edited by Kurushy, 18 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#2 Easly

Easly

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1716 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:ymir/valk

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Oh, and a little addendum: this game seems to have a very poorly-optimized ambient occlusion effect (listed in System Settings as Shadow Effect) which dramatically lowers framerate. Disabling it is probably the easiest way to get a quick boost to your FPS. If you really want it, you should simply force it on the driver level. It'll both look and perform better.

Usefull advice, was wondering why i was 20-30 fps with a gtx680.

#3 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Laptop and gaming... lol.

#4 Kurushy

Kurushy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Usefull advice, was wondering why i was 20-30 fps with a gtx680.

Yeah. i7 with a GTX 660 here. When I first logged in, I thought something was seriously wrong with this game. Once I created a driver profile for the game and disabled their crappy ambient occlusion, I got back up to acceptable performance.

I'm a little bit disappointed with the game's visuals on the whole, though. It's not really the style. It's more that some of the animations simply weren't done very well. In some areas, the production values of this game seem top notch. In others, it feels like I'm playing a freshly localized five year-old game.

Oh, and laptops have enough power to run just about anything you want, and well, nowadays. It's true that the highest-end mobile GPU's don't match the highest-end desktop GPU's in terms of benchmark scores, but they still have sufficient power to run brand new games very well. For probably the last 2-3 years, it hasn't been an issue of power. It has been cost.

Edited by Kurushy, 18 April 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#5 silverogre

silverogre

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

"2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" and change the value from "Use global setting (Auto-Select: Integrated)" to "High-performance NVidia processor".

What name of this option?

And... Its just needed to Laptop? How can i be sure my desktop is using geForce and not using integrated video card?

#6 Swiftality

Swiftality

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Helpful! Great guide!

#7 Kurushy

Kurushy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Aside from the method I listed in the OP, I'm not really sure. I haven't owned a desktop for a while now. That hasn't been possible due to my lifestyle for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users